Official THP 2011 Golf Outing & Demo Day

anyway, the closer we get and when we start getting a list of folks who are going to be in attendance, and if they are interested in playing in the tourny, how should teams be determined? should we:

a. pair 1 lower hcp'er, 2 mid hcp'ers, 1 high hcp'er
b. put everyone's name (who wants to play) in that spining thing that THP used for the FF draft, and let fate decide the teams

I will gladly replay on saturday and likely after sunday if the travel works out for me the same way it did last time. I haven't priced tickets yet but I know leaving monday can be cheaper (just more expensive in the hotel department).

What exactly is "captain's choice"- is that a scramble format? I don't play many competitions so these terms are foreign to me!

I am torn on which method of groupings to use. I think the best balance would come from option A- but it takes the most amount of work/research and requires an even distribution across all the handicaps. Option B is fine if there is a way to handicap a team that ends up with three 20+ indexes.

To be perfectly honest (and not to sound like an angsty teenager) I perfer this method to the "find your own 4-some and go". While there were a lot of people I wanted to golf with last time that I wasn't able to- having a lot of people make there "perfect foursome" sets up a scenario where TC really really wants to play a round with me but I choose to play with Pale Rider instead and TC has his feelings hurt. I know we are all adults and *Should* be able to handle things civilly but I work with enough adults that couldn't handle such freedoms. I guess I wouldn't want anyone to leave a THP outing feeling like they had been left out of the fun.

I will gladly replay on saturday and likely after sunday if the travel works out for me the same way it did last time. I haven't priced tickets yet but I know leaving monday can be cheaper (just more expensive in the hotel department).

What exactly is "captain's choice"- is that a scramble format? I don't play many competitions so these terms are foreign to me!

I am torn on which method of groupings to use. I think the best balance would come from option A- but it takes the most amount of work/research and requires an even distribution across all the handicaps. Option B is fine if there is a way to handicap a team that ends up with three 20+ indexes.

To be perfectly honest (and not to sound like an angsty teenager) I perfer this method to the "find your own 4-some and go". While there were a lot of people I wanted to golf with last time that I wasn't able to- having a lot of people make there "perfect foursome" sets up a scenario where TC really really wants to play a round with me but I choose to play with Pale Rider instead and TC has his feelings hurt. I know we are all adults and *Should* be able to handle things civilly but I work with enough adults that couldn't handle such freedoms. I guess I wouldn't want anyone to leave a THP outing feeling like they had been left out of the fun.

thanks gus, and i agree with you completely. captains choice is like a scramble. you choose the best ball and all hit from that spot.

i just think something like this could be fun, especially b/c we know the beat down that those courses can put on a fella. it wouldn't be too hard to seperate and make teams and it's something i wouldn't mind doing. obviously, we can't do anything until we get more confirmations but i wanted to see if there was interest.

anyway, the closer we get and when we start getting a list of folks who are going to be in attendance, and if they are interested in playing in the tourny, how should teams be determined? should we:

a. pair 1 lower hcp'er, 2 mid hcp'ers, 1 high hcp'er
b. put everyone's name (who wants to play) in that spining thing that THP used for the FF draft, and let fate decide the teams

This sounds like a lot of fun. How about starting the teams with the low hcp'ers and then draw names for the rest of the team makeup.

This sounds like a lot of fun. How about starting the teams with the low hcp'ers and then draw names for the rest of the team makeup.

awesome suggestion OEM!!!! i like it.

^
I think it's a great idea and would more than glad to weigh a team down :)

awesome suggestion OEM!!!! i like it.

That way one team isnt stacked with the low guys but more like the team anchor and rest of the team can be made up of ankle busters. lol.

That way one team isnt stacked with the low guys but more like the team anchor and rest of the team can be made up of ankle busters. lol.

lmao!!!!

I like the idea of picking "anchors" and then going from there. It'll be interesting to play these same courses and actually have a shot at shooting what the pro's shoot (from 500 yards closer!).

I like the idea of picking "anchors" and then going from there. It'll be interesting to play these same courses and actually have a shot at shooting what the pro's shoot (from 500 yards closer!).

I'll anchor. I can flub chips with the best of them.

I'll anchor. I can flub chips with the best of them.

I feel really bad about this comment but I can't not say it...

Spoiler
But do you care enough to cry about it afterwards?

I feel really bad about this comment but I can't not say it...

Spoiler
But do you care enough to cry about it afterwards?

I'm not man enough to contain myself in the way hunter did. I wouldve been a blubbering baby with that much pressure.

This whole event seems to get more interesting by the day.

We're not sure if we can make this one. But, last day of school for us is May 19th. So, maybe it'll work. It is way too far out right now for us to give a yes/no. I may end up going by myself. But, then I'd probably have to get Mrs. Staticline a spa package (in Fort Worth) like GG got.

I do like the ideas being floated around with pairings, capt' choice, etc. But, then teeboxes would need to be agreed upon, either everyone plays the same, or the low's play backs, mid's play one up from that and highes play one up from mids...just an idea. But, those high handicap sado-masochists will insist on a pro tee beat down (claw marks RAWR! Thank you, Sir! May I have another?). So you gotta weigh all that into the equation.

I play in golf tourneys ALL the time. We all play the same tee box. Look, if you have a long knocker on your team, it is what it is. This is all for fun, I really hope people dont look too much into this. We will have some better players as "captains"....then they pull from a hat.

I think putting teams together of varying strengths is a good idea for afternoon rounds. That's the way we do it for my company outings. One good player as team captain and the rest are a mix of players.

I would love to join in on this, but am concerned about overdoing it. 72 holes in four days was a bit much for me at the last outing and playing 36 in one day may be enough to push me over....

Ah, who am I kidding? You can probably count me in for a Saturday afternoon!

Just a reminder to everyone who says they are in for this outing please do not forget to send me an email so I can send you over all the information for reserving a spot. Thanks!!! Can't wait to see you all in May! :clapp:

Ditto for me as well! Though 54 in a day may result in me falling asleep at the iBar.

Last edited:
never happen....soem people wouldnt allow this hehe
Ditto for me as well! Though 54 in a day may result in me falling asleep at the iBar.

never happen....soem people wouldnt allow this hehe

People who "fall asleep at bars" (read: passout) sometimes end up with one eye brow and 1/2 a mustache/beard. But, college pranks wouldn't happen at the iBar, right?

I play in golf tourneys ALL the time. We all play the same tee box. Look, if you have a long knocker on your team, it is what it is. This is all for fun, I really hope people dont look too much into this. We will have some better players as "captains"....then they pull from a hat.

I hear ya. But, it's better to figure it here, instead of 5 minutes before teeing off.

I hate to say this, but I don't think I am going to be able to make it to this next outing. I just found out that I am going to Hawaii in February and that is going to really soak up the funds.

I hate to say this, but I don't think I am going to be able to make it to this next outing. I just found out that I am going to Hawaii in February and that is going to really soak up the funds.

That cant happen. It wont be the same without you man.

WHAT??????

tax return money?

That cant happen. It wont be the same without you man.

I am going to try my best to make it, but I am trying not to get my hopes up. Maybe if I hit the lottery...

Back