Taylormade Burner 2.0 Irons & THP Testing

I feel bad that I'm the only tester not feeling the complete love of the Burners so far....love reading and seeing all the progress you guys are making and the success you're having!

there's absolutely no reason to feel bad hanks. you can't make something work for you. just keep on testing and keep reporting back with honesty, that's what is most important.

there's absolutely no reason to feel bad hanks. you can't make something work for you. just keep on testing and keep reporting back with honesty, that's what is most important.
+1 on that one. Nobody wants to come into a thread where 5 testers are just gushing over the clubs, reality is that not everyone will love them, some and maybe even most people will love them but not everybody. Just keep hitting them and reporting back your findings, that is why you're testing them and why here at THP we're completely unbiased and honest with all of our testing.

good call P4B. in fact, i love the fact that Hanks is pitting the 2.0's against the 24's, b/c let's be honest, that's what this is all about. it's cool that the 24's are working better for you, but then for OEM, it's the opposite. that's the beauty of this.

I've never hit the 3 iron and while I'm sure it is great I love having the hybrid in the bag not just for full shots but also for little chips around the green. For this reason I went with 4-AW. I'm taking these out for another round today and can't wait to see what they can do at Bear Mountain which is a very long and tough course here that has been my nemesis. I love reading all the reviews from the testers here especially Hanks, since the view point of someone who does not love them is important for anybody thinking about buying these irons.

So its time for a Burner 2.0 OEM update. This past weekend was the first chance Ive had to get out to the range or play because of work and or rain. And I am a fair weather golfer. I didnt have enough time to pit the 2.0's against the X-24's this time at the range so I just brought the 2.0's with me. Plus Ive had a really tough time with my driver and needed some quality time with it. Once again Im very very pleased with the Burners. I was really getting into a nice groove at the range and hitting some great 4,5 and 6 irons. I love the feel of a well struck shot but also like the feedback of a miss. Ive been catching my irons a bit thin lately and you sure do feel it. Distance is still good though even on a thin shot. Im still seeing good distance, a nice penetrating ball flight and little to no wear of the finish. I also wanted to give the 3I a good workout but still didnt have much success. I think my bad driver swing is having a negative affect on the 3I too. I can see how a well struck 3I would be a missile! Just not for me just yet. My opinion thus far is that these are some of the best irons Ive hit. I find them to be a nice combination of game improvement but better feel then you would get from SGI irons. I feel like if by some crazy stretch of the imagination I was to get down to a 10 or 9 HC these would still be a great club. There would be no need for a "better players" iron at all. FLTC and I had a discussion about this very thing and concluded that the Burner 2.0's are more game enhancement then game improvement.

Sunday I was able to get out again with the Burners for a round of golf with golf4life and Hanks. We had a good time out there and I really enjoyed the Burners. With bad driving and hitting long irons into green all day I was able to muster a 93. Not great I know but my score went back down from the high 90's and that was something ive been looking for with these. Would my scores go up? Stay the same? Or go back down to low 90's and maybe into the 80's? Hopefully the more I can hit them and practice I can back down into the 80's.

good stuff OEM.

just to elaborate a little more on our discussion i wouldn't put these irons in a SGI category and i'm becoming more and more inclined to put them on a tight rope between GI and GE iron. the reason being is that when you do miss, you know it. that's huge to me. everyone raves about players' irons b/c of the feedback, well, you can get that in these. you can also get incredible distance, incredible feel, and a good looking stick. the fact that they don't balloon, the fact that they are long, the fact that they offer feedback, and the fact that they are gorgeous should put these irons on anyone's "to demo" list. it's almost as though these cater to every type of golfer and that's rare these days.

good stuff OEM.

just to elaborate a little more on our discussion i wouldn't put these irons in a SGI category and i'm becoming more and more inclined to put them on a tight rope between GI and GE iron. the reason being is that when you do miss, you know it. that's huge to me. everyone raves about players' irons b/c of the feedback, well, you can get that in these. you can also get incredible distance, incredible feel, and a good looking stick. the fact that they don't balloon, the fact that they are long, the fact that they offer feedback, and the fact that they are gorgeous should put these irons on anyone's "to demo" list. it's almost as though these cater to every type of golfer and that's rare these days.

Very well said FLTC! I really like and echo that last part, these are the type of irons that any golfer of any skill level could be comfortable with.

What are you guy's thinking about the shafts at this point? Would a different shaft and fitting possibly zero these in for Hanks? I know thats not exactly the direction for this testing, but might actually add another direction for those who are interested in these irons.

Very well said FLTC! I really like and echo that last part, these are the type of irons that any golfer of any skill level could be comfortable with.

thanks Lt.

yeah, i just don't see how anyone could really find something to not enjoy with these irons. it would literally boil down to personal preferences and when that's the case, you know you have developed a great set of irons.

What are you guy's thinking about the shafts at this point? Would a different shaft and fitting possibly zero these in for Hanks? I know thats not exactly the direction for this testing, but might actually add another direction for those who are interested in these irons.

i think hanks could benefit from maybe trimming some off of these duey. they are long, significantly long and do take some getting use to. i'm not trying to be mean here, but if you were interested in these, you would definitely want to be fit for them and probably order them to a specific length.

So far I think the shaft/head combo and the fact that each iron is developed on its own works great. But as you see with Hanks that may not be for everyone. Maybe he can come in and offer his thoughts too. I know he hit them at GG last Friday (free hat) and said he hit one that was more upright I think and had good results. At this point I dont see myself changing the shafts, Im pretty happy with them.

i may have misinterpreted your question a little duey, if so, sorry. i will not be changing the shafts out in the 2.0's as i quite like the stock shaft, a lot actually! i was worried that i would see a really high ball flight with them, especially coming from the Rifle 6.0's, but it just isn't the case. it's a very nice penetrating flight and i love the feel.

Really just brainstorming for hanks. I liked the shafts of the ones I tried, but they are surely not for everyone.

+1...I actually hit a 6 iron that was 2* up and it was sweet. Definitely got a good 'crack' when I was hitting it. Never thought about the shaft shortening idea but maybe I need to have thee bent up a bit to see what that brings me....hmmmm
So far I think the shaft/head combo and the fact that each iron is developed on its own works great. But as you see with Hanks that may not be for everyone. Maybe he can come in and offer his thoughts too. I know he hit them at GG last Friday (free hat) and said he hit one that was more upright I think and had good results. At this point I dont see myself changing the shafts, Im pretty happy with them.

+1...I actually hit a 6 iron that was 2* up and it was sweet. Definitely got a good 'crack' when I was hitting it. Never thought about the shaft shortening idea but maybe I need to have thee bent up a bit to see what that brings me....hmmmm

don't know if they can be bent that much hanks but it may be worth a shot. ironically, the lie angle of the 2.0's are a degree more upright than the 24's hanks. perhaps it's just the literal length of the shaft you are struggling with. it might be worth having them butt trimmed a little.

might be worth a shot....I'll have talk to my GG guy and see what he thinks
don't know if they can be bent that much hanks but it may be worth a shot. ironically, the lie angle of the 2.0's are a degree more upright than the 24's hanks. perhaps it's just the literal length of the shaft you are struggling with. it might be worth having them butt trimmed a little.

i may be the only tester that has actually taken the hybrid out of the bag to make room for the 3 iron, i like it that much. i find it ridiculously easy to hit but i will say this, it doesn't get the ball as high as a hybrid which could be a problem for many, but it is long, and for me, much more accurate than a hybrid, especially off the tee. it will be a solid club if you often play in windy conditions.

I have the 2009 Burner irons and I have found that the 3 iron goes much further than the 3 hybrid therefore I have taken it out. Do you find this to be the case for the 2.0 Burner 3 iron as compared to your 3 hybrid?

I have the 2009 Burner irons and I have found that the 3 iron goes much further than the 3 hybrid therefore I have taken it out. Do you find this to be the case for the 2.0 Burner 3 iron as compared to your 3 hybrid?

actually, i find the burner 2.0 3 iron to go further than my 2 hybrid, which is 18*!!!! it's just hard for me to explain how much i like the 3 iron.

actually, i find the burner 2.0 3 iron to go further than my 2 hybrid, which is 18*!!!! it's just hard for me to explain how much i like the 3 iron.

I can attest, he loves that 3 iron

That's it, I'm putting the 3 iron in the bag for some immediate testing. I haven't even hit it yet, by default I just took the 3 iron out and put my hybrid in. I'll come back here in the next day or two and let you know what I figure out. I've never in my life been able to hit a 3 iron, but really before the Burner 2.0's I've never really had much love for a 4 iron either so we'll see what happens!

this may be the perfect 'wind club' for you man,....this should scream through the wind for you
That's it, I'm putting the 3 iron in the bag for some immediate testing. I haven't even hit it yet, by default I just took the 3 iron out and put my hybrid in. I'll come back here in the next day or two and let you know what I figure out. I've never in my life been able to hit a 3 iron, but really before the Burner 2.0's I've never really had much love for a 4 iron either so we'll see what happens!

I think so too Hanks. I see where I could get a lot of use out of being able to hit a 3 iron consistently so we'll see. Problem is I'm liking my hybrid because for me it's more like a 5 wood, it's 21 degrees but I can hit it about 225 yards, maybe I'll have to take my 60 degree wedge out then.

It may be teh case for TC, but not for me. My 3 hybrid still goes further than the 3 iron does.

I agree totally with TC and OEM Kevin that these clubs could be played by almost any player. I high handicapper might want a club with more forgiveness but other than that these can be played by 18-0. Just as a test I went to the driving range with a buddy of mine who is 5'9" and also a lefty and let him hit some shots with the 2.0's. AW thru 8 iron he loved the clubs but he had a hard time with 7 iron thru 4 iron. Just one observation but as TC and others have mentioned before I think a shorter golfer might want to get these irons trimmed.

I've been lurking and reading this thread with great interest. You guys are doing a great job with the 2.0 testing, keep up the good work. The positive and negative comments are invaluable to someone looking for new clubs.

I do have a question. If you shorten or order shorter shafts from TM, what does that do to the kickpoint and the fact that each of the clubs has been individually engineered? Do you get the same feel and performance or have the shorter shafts negated all the engineering and design TM has put into the clubs?

Back