THP 2011 Club Testing Results

Good stuff TC, I am really happy for you that you liked that putter. Hopefully that's the answer you have been looking for with the flat stick. How great is it that guy you've been emailing suggested that putter and Josh just happened to have it in lefty? It's almost like divine intervention! Thanks for the great comparison of your Burner 2.0s to the 2 sets of Mizunos you hit, I would have expected the distance difference between the 53s and the other two, but you're telling me that feel was the same between the 2.0s and the MP-53s huh? That's a huge statement for the Burner 2.0s! Personally I do notice a little less feel with the Burners coming from my MP-57s but that's not for this thread. Thanks for the info buddy!

yeah, but let me be clear, it's the feel between two well struck balls P4B. when both were hit pure, i could tell absolutely no difference, in fact, i could tell no difference between a well struck ball between cast and forged. i guess i'm in the minority.

mishits with the mp 53 were horrible, they hurt and went nowhere. unless you have a flawless, tour level repeatable swing, i don't know why you would want them in the bag (well, i do know why, at least i have my theories).

yeah, it was pretty cool to be able to roll a seemore for a couple of days. i felt like a much better putter with it, and i swear, every courses greens were rolling so much different from each other.

did anyone take swings with JB's irons that have been to Vibrant? How did they look in person and did the color of the shafts distract you at all?

Are the C. Kua hybrid shafts really expensive? Has a price point been established for them yet?

How did the new Clevelands with the C. Kua's stack up? Compared to the SuperFast 3W, how did they perform?

Are the C. Kua hybrid shafts really expensive? Has a price point been established for them yet?

How did the new Clevelands with the C. Kua's stack up? Compared to the SuperFast 3W, how did they perform?

I have yet to see any Miyazaki shafts in stores around Los Angeles but online the prices are from $225-250 per shaft

Are they really expensive? No. But if you take a standard hybrid of $149-$199 price point and you add the reshafting in C. Kua, you are looking at double the cost for each hybrid. That is why the Mashie is such an incredible value for many because you are getting a tour level after market shaft in it without the after market cost.

Ask OEM Kevin how he feels about the FW wood? This coming from a SuperFast FW owner.

I have yet to see any Miyazaki shafts in stores around Los Angeles but online the prices are from $225-250 per shaft

Not for the hybrid shaft. Hybrid shaft will not be that price.

Here are my thoughts on what I hit this weekend:

Drivers: Ping K15- long club that feels really solid at impact but I would like to see what it could do with a C Kua in it as the stock shaft leaves a lot to be desired. Cleveland Ultralites- after hitting all 3 options (270, 290, 310) in all available flexes I found the 310 in a S flex (9.5) to be the best fit for me. Plus the 310 model has a smaller driver head that I tend to prefer (440cc) Not overly hot or long but a steady performer with the stock Miyazaki shaft offering. Callaway Diablo Octane/Octane Tour- IMO, After missing the mark with the previous Diablo offering, Callaway has nailed it with this driver. I hit both options and really felt comfortable with the Tour version. Smaller head (450cc), 1* open, 45" shaft, and S flex in the stock Project X 6.0 shaft was really working for me as TC can probably attest to after seeing me put this in play for our round on Sunday. This is the first driver that I'd consider replacing my current one with and will warrant a serious ponder and comparison to my current driver when the spring rolls around

Fairway woods: Cleveland Ultralite-see above. Definitely preferred the S flex but couldn't get any consistency like I was hoping I would. The stock Miyazaki shaft is a huge plus and gives the 3w almost driver length when struck well. Callaway Diablo Octane/Octane Tour- The 3 wood will be in my bag, no doubt about it. The smaller head profile with a S flex and 15* loft had me really dialed in. I'd like to see how well I'd hit the 'strong 3w' 13* model but I'd be happy with the 15*. This club could be what my bag is missing and actually needs. Length and control? Yes please.

Hybrids: Cleveland Mashie- Mashie love is still going strong with this club for me. Off the tee or in the rough, it didn't matter, same performance and results. I hit both lofts of the 3h (18.5 and 20.5) and the 4h as well. The 3h in the 20.5 loft will be in my bag next year too. I may grab the 4h as well and remove my current 4h (25*) from my bag. Something tells me I'll need some launch monitor testing to see what the official distances are for both clubs before I decide which direction I go in though. Either way, this club is so fun and easy to hit, especially from the rough. The dual rail design really cuts through the turf and adds a little 'weight' to the club as well and of course the stock Miyazaki shaft really is a plus. Adams Super Black- The shape and feel of this club is great and if not for the Mashie, this would get a place in my bag. The distance and feel wasn't quite there for me but I could game it and get used to it quickly. Off the tee it's awesome but found it difficult to use off the turf and in the rough. The Aldila Voodoo NV shaft was a good match for this club and provides some good punch for those who might not be comfy with a fairway wood. Taylormade Burner SuperLaunch Rescue- Actually liked the shape of this more than I thought I would but ultimately this club didn't give me a wow factor. At all. The face was hot and it was really good off the tee but it left me wanting more when hitting off the turf or in the rough. Of all the cool releases and lines that TM has had this year this may be their only miss. I also found the weight to be a little loo light and the shaft a little whippy for my liking.

Irons: Cleveland CG16's- Callaway X24's, you're officially on double secret probation. I gamed these for 1 1/2 round on Sunday and the results kept getting better and better each time I hit them. I went through a mini-swing change this weekend with the help of TC and these irons were the beneficiaries of that change. Great ball flight, good feedback, nice and predictable length, and solid looks. Feel wasn't what I'm used to but with the results I was seeing it's something I could definitely adjust to. Mizuno JPX 800's- Solid feeling sticks. These cast options felt almost as good as their forged cousins but not quite. Nice high ball flight and the best feeling irons I hit all weekend but they just didn't 'speak to me.' Could I use them and be happy with them? sure but I think there are better options for the money out there. Callaway Razr line- Spent a lot of range time with the Razr X Tours and was disappointed. I thought for sure that these would be my favorite irons with their smaller priofile, solid looks, etc. Just goes to show that you have to hit something before moving forward with it. I thought everything was right about this club but only if you hit it in the sweet spot. Not the most forgiving a la most Callaway irons but these have the potential to be great scoring clubs in the right hands. The Razr Forged were tough to hit with any consistency for me below a 7 iron and while the feeling was hard, ball flight and trajectory were predictable and consistent. Sexy and sleek to look at both in the bag and at address.

Wedges: Cleveland CG16- If I didn't have my current wedges I'd love these. The laser-milled grooves do exactly what they are supposed to do especially combined with a soft covered ball. Consistent ball flight and performance and great at hitting out of the rough. Mizuno MPT-11- hit these without the spinner shafts in them and still love them. But you do notice a difference in weighting and performance without the spinners in them. The smaller and heavier club head really help you 'feel' the club through your entire swing. Aslo, the performance off the fairway or out of the rough is exactly the same but these really shine in the sand where the wieght really helps get you through the sand and under the ball creating a nice explosion and soft landing shot.

Putters: I'll post more about my flat stick feelings in the Hanks Putter Shootout thread but for now, SeeMore Si1 is my new love. Never hit a center shafted putter before but I think this is what my stroke needs. Super soft feeling yet firm enough for long distance putts. Was completely dialed in with pace and speed while using this all day on Sunday. It'll somehow find a way into my bag as well.

Hope this helps everyone out and if you have any questions, etc. let me know

Hanks

Thanks for the excellent writeups TC and co.

A couple questions: Was there a Mashie 15.5 there to test? If so, what were the opinions on that one?

How many got to try the Cleveland wedges with DG Spinner shafts? How did they compare to standard shafted Cleveland wedges?

What other iron sets really stood out to the testers?

Interesting what you found about the JPX 800s. Like you found, they ballooned so much for me at the Outing due to the massive headwind, I kind of discounted their value to my golf game. But now based on what you've written, they may be worth looking into more with a more suitable iron shaft.

Ask OEM Kevin how he feels about the FW wood? This coming from a SuperFast FW owner.

It that the one he kept out driving everyone with?

I guess there may be a Mashie in my future.... although a C. Kua would be nice in the MachSpeed....

So CG 16s Hanks? What do you think sets them apart from the X-24s?

Thanks for the excellent writeups TC and co.

A couple questions: Was there a Mashie 15.5 there to test? If so, what were the opinions on that one?

How many got to try the Cleveland wedges with DG Spinner shafts? How did they compare to standard shafted Cleveland wedges?

What other iron sets really stood out to the testers?

Interesting what you found about the JPX 800s. Like you found, they ballooned so much for me at the Outing due to the massive headwind, I kind of discounted their value to my golf game. But now based on what you've written, they may be worth looking into more with a more suitable iron shaft.

There was not the 15.5 degree Mashie. But I fell in love with the 18.5. So much that I am that sure I will put the 15.5 in the bag over the 3 wood.

I played the Cleveland CG15s with DG Spinners in 2 wedges and the 3rd without the Spinner shaft. Love the slightly lower launch and was definitely getting more spin. Similar results to what I got on the monitor at the range.

Im in the minority, but I did not love the JPX-800s. They were good, not great for me. I also did not love the Pro version. I know that is sacrilegious on a golf forum, but I just do not see the inredibleness that others do out of anything in this line or the MP line. I want to, but its just not there for me.

exactly what i went through at the outing with them. they really disappointed me at pga national and they stole my heart over the weekend. like i said, even with the r300's if i could've, i would've gamed them. it's going to annoy me how much i'll be thinking about them.

I guess there may be a Mashie in my future.... although a C. Kua would be nice in the MachSpeed....

the fwy wood that OEM was using was the ulra light cleveland 13* fwy wood with a 43s c. kua shaft. it was absolutely perfect for the guy. he consistently hit it past my 3 iron all day sunday!

There was not the 15.5 degree Mashie. But I fell in love with the 18.5. So much that I am that sure I will put the 15.5 in the bag over the 3 wood.

I played the Cleveland CG15s with DG Spinners in 2 wedges and the 3rd without the Spinner shaft. Love the slightly lower launch and was definitely getting more spin. Similar results to what I got on the monitor at the range.

Im in the minority, but I did not love the JPX-800s. They were good, not great for me. I also did not love the Pro version. I know that is sacrilegious on a golf forum, but I just do not see the inredibleness that others do out of anything in this line or the MP line. I want to, but its just not there for me.

I agree completely, I am not a big fan. Everyone always talks about Mizuno and their irons and how WONDERFUL they are.....so I hit the mizzy lines a lot at the outting to see what the rave was about, but I just couldnt fall in love with them.

I want it. I think I may have picked up the perfect 3W for me just before we went out for our Sunday round. Saturday I didnt have much luck with the Cleveland 3W but Sunday was a complete different story. Im not sure which one I had on Saturday but just before we left on Sunday I was looking through the Cleveland stuff and when I say looking through I mean looking through like 40 clubs. There was LOTS of Cleveland drivers and 3W's. This was cool because you could find all variations of flex codes. So I found one with an 8722 flex code, 13* low trajectory and quizzed JB about whether or not this would fit my swing. He said probably and I bagged it. Man did it ever work for me.I hit 3 or 4 of the best 3W's Ive ever hit. And a couple were off the deck too. I'll be back later with a write up as Im paying for the two days off right now with tons of work.

Thanks for the feedback. I too am very much considering replacing my 3 wood with the Mashie. Might give up a little distance (very little probably), but having a club you can pin hunt with and more easily escape rough with is really appealing to me.

Not surprised about the DG Spinners. I love them in my wedges.

Very good writeup guys and Hanks, man I am extremely impressed with your review dude! All bases covered and smothered with gravy :D

I want it. I think I may have picked up the perfect 3W for me just before we went out for our Sunday round. Saturday I didnt have much luck with the Cleveland 3W but Sunday was a complete different story. Im not sure which one I had on Saturday but just before we left on Sunday I was looking through the Cleveland stuff and when I say looking through I mean looking through like 40 clubs. There was LOTS of Cleveland drivers and 3W's. This was cool because you could find all variations of flex codes. So I found one with an 8722 flex code, 13* low trajectory and quizzed JB about whether or not this would fit my swing. He said probably and I bagged it. Man did it ever work for me.I hit 3 or 4 of the best 3W's Ive ever hit. And a couple were off the deck too. I'll be back later with a write up as Im paying for the two days off right now with tons of work.

Glad you found something that works so well for you. I hit a couple of the drivers at the outing but not the FWs, so I was curious as I'm looking for a new fairway. Looking forward to your full thoughts!

Hanks, can you elaborate on your comments regarding the CG-16 irons' feel? You said they weren't what you are used to. What is the difference you saw?

Great info and thanks for sharing!

TC, Hanks and I watched OEM blast a 300 yard ball with a little draw with this 3w. Perfect ball flight and very VERY long.

did anyone take swings with JB's irons that have been to Vibrant? How did they look in person and did the color of the shafts distract you at all?

The Cleveland CG 16 irons had some sweet red shafts in them so I grabbed the 7 iron and went to work. Honestly ddec after looking at the club at the initial address I did not notice the color once. I thought on initial perception that I would notice the color more, I was wrong, it could have had pink polka-dots and I doubt I would have paid anymore attention.

So CG 16s Hanks? What do you think sets them apart from the X-24s?

Feel. The 24's have such a buttery smooth feel when you're flushing them. And they're more forgiving with a higher ball flight. Distance may be comparable between the 2 sets but I'd need a launch monitor to know for sure. All I know is the CG16 7 iron was money for me all day and was drilling approach shots from 150-160 out with it.

Hanks, can you elaborate on your comments regarding the CG-16 irons' feel? You said they weren't what you are used to. What is the difference you saw?

Great info and thanks for sharing!

'Hardness' isn't the right word for it but when compared to the 24's that's the only way I can describe it. When pured you still feel a 'more than soft but solid' feeling but it's not like hitting a blade. For all I know it may have been the shafts in them too

Hanks: If you don't mind, can you please "unpack" a bit why you liked the Octane 3-wood so much? I will likely replace my 3-wood in the future, as mine is on the verge of outliving its usefulness, and I want to start developing a list of 3-woods to test out.

Interesting Hanks. I have just recently began trying the X-24's and they felt awesome. I felt the same about the CG16's. Good feel just not what I was expecting especially after gaming CG7's.

Interesting Hanks. I have just recently began trying the X-24's and they felt awesome. I felt the same about the CG16's. Good feel just not what I was expecting especially after gaming CG7's.

My thoughts as well. Plus I think the CG16's are more workable. I'm not a huge mover but I was able to consistently hit a 6 iron with a consistent, controlled draw that left me on or near the green fighting to save par each time I used it. In fact I teed off with it a lot on short par 4's where I was either reaching in 2 with it or on long par 4's getting to within 100 where my wedge game took over. I really need to see distances, etc between the 2 sets before I make a decision. But the CG16's are definitely on the radar now.

Hanks: If you don't mind, can you please "unpack" a bit why you liked the Octane 3-wood so much? I will likely replace my 3-wood in the future, as mine is on the verge of outliving its usefulness, and I want to start developing a list of 3-woods to test out.

Everything just flet right about it. The smaller head profile, hot face, and the ball flight was straight almost everytime. Because ot the smaller profile, I was confident in it to hit it off the deck which I've never been able to do with any other 3w. Ever. I liked the stock shaft but this club could be lethal with the right shaft in it. Maybe my spare C Kua that I have sitting around waiting to be put into something?

Everything just flet right about it. The smaller head profile, hot face, and the ball flight was straight almost everytime. Because ot the smaller profile, I was confident in it to hit it off the deck which I've never been able to do with any other 3w. Ever. I liked the stock shaft but this club could be lethal with the right shaft in it. Maybe my spare C Kua that I have sitting around waiting to be put into something?

Thanks, Hanks.

Back