What Rule Would You Change?

I hear that. But all shufflers aside, on a course with semi-decent turf resiliency, soft spike marks will generally bounce back before the next foursome gets there
Very true. But the plastic/rubber spikes can cause just as much damage due to more prongs. Especially on feet shufflers. Those damn feet shufflers are the worst.

Foot wedge should be put into the rules but not counted as a stroke. Haha Just kidding.

I think if you have to make a swing and your golf club or yourself will be damaged you should be able to move the ball back (not better the lie but just move back so you wont break something)

EX: To close to a tree where you would hit the tree with your club or your ball might hit the tree 2 foot in front of you and bounce back and hit you.

Do pro's still wear metal spikes? I heard Tiger walking the other day on concrete while being interviewed and I heard the distinct noise of metal spikes on concrete.

Foot wedge should be put into the rules but not counted as a stroke. Haha Just kidding.

I think if you have to make a swing and your golf club or yourself will be damaged you should be able to move the ball back (not better the lie but just move back so you wont break something)

EX: To close to a tree where you would hit the tree with your club or your ball might hit the tree 2 foot in front of you and bounce back and hit you.

I agree but this would be impossible to police and people would take advantage of it. I moved my ball when I played with Hawk and Don because I was about 2" from a road...I'll take a penalty stroke before I ruin a club.

I'd hate to lose a bet (if I did indeed bet) on the 18th hole if I stuck my approach shot close but my opponent, instead of chipping out from behind that tree, was able to move his ball so he could swing without damaging his club or having the ball bounce back at him and holed it out from there.

Do pro's still wear metal spikes? I heard Tiger walking the other day on concrete while being interviewed and I heard the distinct noise of metal spikes on concrete.

Some, but not many, and it depends on the tourney.

I'd hate to lose a bet (if I did indeed bet) on the 18th hole if I stuck my approach shot close but my opponent, instead of chipping out from behind that tree, was able to move his ball so he could swing without damaging his club or having the ball bounce back at him and holed it out from there.

Well Im not saying move it back 10 feet and 5 feet left where you have a perfect shot at the green just move it back a couple feet where you wont break a club trying to chip it out sideways.

Well Im not saying move it back 10 feet and 5 feet left where you have a perfect shot at the green just move it back a couple feet where you wont break a club trying to chip it out sideways.

Me either. But moving it far enough where you won't hurt your club or, so it won't hit the tree and bounce back at you, might be enough for someone to hook or slice it around that tree. You're assuming they are just going to chip it out. If that's the case, take the penalty and drop it. Or just chip out. Use the putter if you really can't swing because of whatever reason. Not your opponents fault you ended up behind a tree.

Me either. But moving it far enough where you won't hurt your club or, so it won't hit the tree and bounce back at you, might be enough for someone to hook or slice it around that tree. You're assuming they are just going to chip it out. If that's the case, take the penalty and drop it. Or just chip out. Use the putter if you really can't swing because of whatever reason. Not your opponents fault you ended up behind a tree.

Not saying make it where they will be able to do any crazy shots. Just something like "hey im going to chip this out sideways but im moving it back so I wont hit the tree" Not move the ball back where you have a chance to go at the green just say im moving the ball back so I wont hurt myself or the club. Should have worded my first post better. Your thinking im trying to say move it back where they can have a better shot at the green. If they say they're going for the green then the ball stays put and they do it at there own risk.

If ball is on the edge of the cart path and I know im going to catch some of the cart path if I swing then I will move the ball up away from the cart path. Not trying to give myself any advantage its just I dont have the money to spend replacing a club if I hit the cart path in full swing.

You can always chip it out somewhere without breaking a club, or are you guys just looing for ways around taking an unplayable.

You hit it there, you get it out of there. No help necessary.

ps you can take a drop if your ball is on the cart path.

Why do want a get out of jail free card when you hit a crappy shot to get there in the first place? That's what Rule 28 (Ball Unplayable) is for. Take your licks like a man.

There are a couple that stand out to me. One is the ball moving when the club is grounded. Pretty stupid that if you put your club down 2 inches behind the ball and a big gust of wind moves the ball you are penalized. If the ball moves, replace it and play on, no penatly. If you didn't move it with the club, why are you penalized for something out of your control? Second is more of a Tour rule and scoring. Guys that get DQd for someone else's mistake by signing a scorecard that isn't right. Why do they even keep score on paper anyway? There is a guy walking with them with entering in each stroke into a computer as they go anyway. Verfy the total at the end and be done with the scorecards. It rarely happens, but when it does it is pretty stupid. (they may have already changed a portion of this rule, can't remember)

You should be allowed to treat balls hit out of bounds just like hitting it into a hazard, instead of stroke and distance. I see a lot of people (myself included) after hitting a tee ball out of bounds just dropping a ball in the area where they thought the ball went out of play, like it was a hazard, instead of going all the way back to the tee and hitting another shot. It would speed up play, and possibly eliminate some confusion on rules for newer players.

You should be allowed to treat balls hit out of bounds just like hitting it into a hazard, instead of stroke and distance. I see a lot of people (myself included) after hitting a tee ball out of bounds just dropping a ball in the area where they thought the ball went out of play, like it was a hazard, instead of going all the way back to the tee and hitting another shot. It would speed up play, and possibly eliminate some confusion on rules for newer players.

+1 on this one.

+1 on this one.

Couldn't disagree more. If you hit a ball so badly you lose it or it leaves the golf course/playing field, the penalty should be more onerous than hitting into a hazard.

I'm also going to disagree with the soon to be mentioned idea that you should be able to move a ball in a divot because it's ground under repair.

Carry on.

Kevin

Couldn't disagree more. If you hit a ball so badly you lose it or it leaves the golf course/playing field, the penalty should be more onerous than hitting into a hazard.

I'm also going to disagree with the soon to be mentioned idea that you should be able to move a ball in a divot because it's ground under repair.

Carry on.

Kevin

Kevin,
I see both sides of this. The divot rule can lead to people taking less care of the course in competition. As for the OB rule. Geography plays a role here as well. In many FL courses that are built around neighborhoods, there is no rhyme or reason that some areas are marked OB. Houses just off the course can be closer to the fairway than a water hazard.

Kevin,
I see both sides of this. The divot rule can lead to people taking less care of the course in competition. As for the OB rule. Geography plays a role here as well. In many FL courses that are built around neighborhoods, there is no rhyme or reason that some areas are marked OB. Houses just off the course can be closer to the fairway than a water hazard.

I understand what you're saying about the OB, because I have house lined fairways on my home course. Yet that goes to the "field of play". The playing ground is clearly delineated. Keep the ball within the field of play or the penalty is more harsh. It's a pain, but i like there's a difference in the penalties. As for it slowing play, hit a provisional.

Are you saying that tournament golfers would likely be less apt to fix divots so the chance was greater their competition might find one? If that became a problem, then I have a suggested rule change. 2 strokes if you don't replace or fill your divot.

Kevin

I understand what you're saying about the OB, because I have house lined fairways on my home course. Yet that goes to the "field of play". The playing ground is clearly delineated. Keep the ball within the field of play or the penalty is more harsh. It's a pain, but i like there's a difference in the penalties. As for it slowing play, hit a provisional.

Are you saying that tournament golfers would likely be less apt to fix divots so the chance was greater their competition might find one? If that became a problem, then I have a suggested rule change. 2 strokes if you don't replace or fill your divot.

Kevin

No argument from either one of those.

I do think the divot rule change I would be fine with. As someone that takes rather large divots and living in an area, where you do not replace them, it is not fair for others to have to play from a sand lie. I mean if they hit it down the middle of the fairway, there is no way to tell that a divot might be in a certain spot. And getting penalized (in theory) for no reason and no way to avoid it seems irrational in my opinion.

Carry on.

Kevin

Totally disagree with you on this one (OB). It doesn't take a terribly hit shot to be OB sometimes. There are many courses, Ocean Trails (a Trump National course), were OB is 10-15 ft beyond to the first cut. It doesn't take a "bad" shot to go OB here, just not a good one. Im with the others in feeling that this is one rule that should be changed.

I think they should do away with the rule that got Kenny Perry DQ'd. Give them a warning or maybe even a small fine after the first late show for a tee time during the pre tourney rounds. I mean come on, anybody could have an alarm clock backfire on em.......

P.S. I think Pale Rider wears crocs with metal spikes.....

Carry on.

Kevin

Here is what I don't understand...if I hit a ball, and it hits the ground first and then rolls into a water hazard, I get to drop my ball at the place where the ball crossing the margin of the water hazard. However, if I hit the same ball and it hits the ground first, then rolls into an area marked out of bounds (white stakes), I have to go all the way back to where I played the shot. In both situations, I've lost a ball and a stroke, why should one situation result in a distance loss and the other situation not result in the distance loss? I realize this rule is probably never going to change, but it's a nice debate.

The OB debate is pointless. To me it's a field of play issue. If the course thinks the field of play should be ten feet outside the first cut, that's pretty harsh, but you need to play accordingly. Sounds like a bad design, and Trump wants his course to be artificially difficult. I suspect most forum members are not playing that type of set up.

As far as playing out of divots, how often does it really happen? My last course had three holes, all elevated tee shot par fours, where most balls end up in a small landing area. I probably didn't find a divot more than eight times over the course of the season. On the other hand, it has some native grasses areas where many times you'll have an impossible lie. Yet it's far more common to come upon your ball sitting up in this area that is supposed to be penalizing than it is to find your ball in a divot in the fairway. Luck is part of the game of golf. If the ball hits a tree and bounces into the fairway, should it go back in woods?

If you think back over the course of many rounds, you'll find you get more good breaks on bad shots, than bad breaks on good shots. Of course, a lot of golfers hit more bad shots than good, including me on occasion, especially this last summer, so the data may be skewed. LOL.

I don't know, I like to play it as it lies. To me that's the very basis of the game. We had some conditions at my home course resulting from flooding this last summer, so "Winter" rules in your own fairway became the norm for a while. It was really unavoidable as there were areas that were almost unplayable. It made me very uncomfortable.

Back