"Hand Made"! Do You Have The Talent?

That is some incredible work Mr. Nead. I am also curious as to what would have caused this metal to stay softer.

Milling a putter if it is CNC milled or Hand milled in a Bridgeport causes
the metal to work harden, most of the time a putter is milled at a pretty high RPM with some sort of coolant, work hardening of the metal is what ruins end mills.That is why it is important to get the correct feed rate and machine RPM for the material you are using. With this putter never being in a mill I noticed a very big difference when I stamped the putter. The first letter I stamped on it I realized how much softer the metal was then what I was used too, and I thought I ruined the putter.

We hear the term "Soft" tossed around with putters all the time, but until a person has the putter in hand you really don't know what you have. I wonder if anyone will try to be the first to rate this in a "Stemp meter" fashion, much like Miyazaki did for astandardized flex in their shafts?

Here's a few of the final product with an oil can finish. Pretty hard to believe Gene. The guy who bought this first one in just over 6 minutes has one heck of a putter. It might be kind of cool to hear from him on here as soon as he get's this baby to the green.

Picture063.jpg

Picture064.png

Picture065.png

that's just ridiculous! i don't know what's cooler, the finished product, or the fact that the man just wanted to literally hand make a putter. it's very impressive, and i have the utmost respect for any master craftsman!

that's just ridiculous! i don't know what's cooler, the finished product, or the fact that the man just wanted to literally hand make a putter. it's very impressive, and i have the utmost respect for any master craftsman!

Yeah, pretty cool what he can do, makes me jealous, lol. I thought he was done with the polished steel and loved it, but the oil can really set's it off for me.

Gene,

that is an awesome project and it came out looking great. I love seeing these kind of threads and articles. I would love to be able to do something like that in the future. Very cool.

Wow that is just awesome. I love to see great craftsmen do work like this, it made me want to try this myself but then quickly realized that it would not be a good idea.

"Hand Made II" (Unreal)

"Hand Made II" (Unreal)

Gene has done it again and as well as the first one turned out, I am just in awe of this one. To think that something this nice could come out of an ugly old chunk of steel like this is hard to phathom, but doing it by hand? Enjoy the process...

This putter was made with the following tools.

Band Saw
Belt Sander
Drill Press
Welder
Various Grinders and Buffers
Picture126.png

Ok here is the process for this putter
Started with 2 pieces of metal and made the face.
Picture069.jpg

Picture071.jpg

Picture073.jpg

Picture077.jpg

Picture078.png

Taking the other block (Both were pieces that were laying in the scrap bin) I drilled two holes with a drill press ad started shaping the flange from there.

Picture080.jpg

Picture081.jpg

Picture083.jpg

Picture084.png

Picture086.jpg

Picture087.png

Picture092.jpg

Took a lot of Grinding, and filing to get the bottom of the pocket flat an the cut the sole close to shape. To get th
Bottom correct I tacked the two pieces together and ground the sole of them both as one then took them back apart and made the sound slot with a grinder and file.

Picture095.png

Picture096.jpg

Picture097.png

Picture099.jpg

Picture100.png

Picture103.png

Picture104.jpg

I then welded the two pieces together for good then finished the welds and wet sanded the face back to flat.

Picture105.png

Picture106.png

Picture108.png

Picture109.png

Picture114.png

Picture115.png

Picture116.jpg

The welds on those above are way beyond anything I ever did and I welded for 18 years, lol.

Pretty amazing due

Next I stamped the head, then welded the neck on and finished the weld (I wanted it smooth).

Picture117.png

Picture118.png

Picture119.png

Picture121.png

Picture122.png

The finished product. What a job Gene, I have to live through your other projects until my new one comes in. Great job buddy.

Picture127.png

Picture128.png

Picture129.png

Picture131.png

Picture132.png

The loft angle on this putters was done by first belt sanding the angle on the face then after welding wet sanding the face flat. The loft came out 3.7 deg.
On the first one I made Handmade one I ground the Sole to 4 deg. and just wet sanded the face, either way worked out good and the putters both set up square at address.

Gene

Picture126.png

Nice work Gene !
How many grams did the head weigh when done ?

Nice work Gene !
How many grams did the head weigh when done ?

Gene must have stepped away and I can't find where he posted the weight SprayTech. His first handmade, (the 8802 model), came out at 338 grams. I would guess this one a tad over that, maybe 350g, but just a wild guess.

Duey,
Rather than start a new thread each time he has photos put up of a putter, why not build in the Hand Made thread you put up not 5 days ago? If you prefer them separate, I will leave them as such, but it just seems that two putters made by the same maker, of the exact same topic, might probably go well together.

They would be good all in one thread, The weight of this putter is 335

so, is this your new putter Duey?

One thread works if you could do that JB.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

No, this is a very special Hand Made. My is a much more standard model.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

hmmm, I was am are were wasnt aint still so confused. Thanks.

Back