Status
Not open for further replies.
Found a great deal yesterday on a Canon Rebel T2i, so I jumped on it. I've been thinking about making the switch to dslr for a while now, and did a ton of research. I'm into video too, so it was the 1080p at 30fps that pushed this one above the Nikons for me.
Now anxiously awaiting the UPS man...

If anyone is thinking about upgrading to a nicer camera. Nikon is coming out with a D7000. It looks really sweet for the price. It is on pre order on amazon. I have a D40 right now and might upgrade to this. Such a good price for what you get.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D7000-D...9?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1284581680&sr=8-9

the D7000 has awesome capabilities for the $$. The best DX camera on the market right now. Capability-wise, it is as good as any full-frame camera out there but only has the limitations of a smaller sensor. I just upgraded from a D40 to the D3100 and added a 35mm prime lens to my gear bag. It delivers outstanding results in low light.

I am more or less a "learning" photo-hobbyist. I love the composition aspects of the art and am learning the technical skills at the moment. I will likely move up to something more advanced again in a couple of years. By then the D7000s will be able to be had for alot less $$. Can't decide whether I'd want to go full-frame or not......that would require all new lenses (cha-ching!!) Had I had the cash at the moment, I would have bought the D7000 but am lovin' my D3100 at the moment

Out of curiosity, why did you upgrade from the D40 to the D3100. I have had the chance to take a look at both and unless one is really printing larger pictures, I am struggling to find the reason for this upgrade. Reason I ask is that we have a couple of D40s and have looked at upgrading but unless we are going to the D7000, I just cannot find a reason to make the switch.

Out of curiosity, why did you upgrade from the D40 to the D3100. I have had the chance to take a look at both and unless one is really printing larger pictures, I am struggling to find the reason for this upgrade. Reason I ask is that we have a couple of D40s and have looked at upgrading but unless we are going to the D7000, I just cannot find a reason to make the switch.

it was mostly a $$ decision. D3100 has some added little bennies that the D40 was lacking and the price point was in my range. the most obvious diffs betwen the D40 and D3100 are the ability to switch shooting mode w/o going to a menu, better AF capabilities, and much higher pixel rate (not that that's all that important). It's as light as the D40 and about 2x as quiet. Also has video capabilites although I will not use it for any serious video work...not into that

check out Ken Rockwell's site....some good no-nonsense reviews and tips for any photo bug. http://www.kenrockwell.com/index.htm

I was perfectly happy w. my D40 but wanted something a little newer, so I sold it and a 55-200VR telephoto lens. I waited for a sale at Best Buy and for just under $1K, I got the D3100, a 18-55 kit lens plus an addtl. 55-200VR telephoto AND I bought an f1.8 35mm prime lens. (having some fun with it) a pretty good deal overall.

The only downside to the D3100 so far is it uses a different battery....my spare E9 from the D40 wouldn't work. Also....you can't get a Nikon IR remote shutter release for the D3100...hafta buy the cable release. Also, no data cables included any longer but if you have decent memory cards, you don't really need a cable for image transfer...I don't think I ever used the one for my D40 in the 2 years I had it.

So far, I like the rig. When I get the technical aspects of photography mastered, I will look at the D7000 or whatever they are offering at the time.

it was mostly a $$ decision. D3100 has some added little bennies that the D40 was lacking and the price point was in my range. the most obvious diffs betwen the D40 and D3100 are the ability to switch shooting mode w/o going to a menu, better AF capabilities, and much higher pixel rate (not that that's all that important). It's as light as the D40 and about 2x as quiet. Also has video capabilites although I will not use it for any serious video work...not into that

check out Ken Rockwell's site....some good no-nonsense reviews and tips for any photo bug. http://www.kenrockwell.com/index.htm

I was perfectly happy w. my D40 but wanted something a little newer, so I sold it and a 55-200VR telephoto lens. I waited for a sale at Best Buy and for just under $1K, I got the D3100, a 18-55 kit lens plus an addtl. 55-200VR telephoto AND I bought an f1.8 35mm prime lens. (having some fun with it) a pretty good deal overall.

The only downside to the D3100 so far is it uses a different battery....my spare E9 from the D40 wouldn't work. Also....you can't get a Nikon IR remote shutter release for the D3100...hafta buy the cable release. Also, no data cables included any longer but if you have decent memory cards, you don't really need a cable for image transfer...I don't think I ever used the one for my D40 in the 2 years I had it.

So far, I like the rig. When I get the technical aspects of photography mastered, I will look at the D7000 or whatever they are offering at the time.

I am very familiar with his site and recommend it quite a bit. Like I said, we have been looking at making changes for a few months now and when it came down to it, I just dont see the huge upgrade from the 3100 unless you are printing big images and need the megapixels. Like Mr. Rockwell, I prefer the small memory size that the D40 uses.

Glad it is working for you. I am a big Nikon guy for their system. I prefer the controls to the Canons, but both make great cameras. I guess for what we do (online work), the D40 just works so well, it is hard to justify the 3100. As for the lenses, we have 18/55, 55/200, 70/300, and they are all working great. Love that big telephoto.

I am very familiar with his site and recommend it quite a bit. Like I said, we have been looking at making changes for a few months now and when it came down to it, I just dont see the huge upgrade from the 3100 unless you are printing big images and need the megapixels. Like Mr. Rockwell, I prefer the small memory size that the D40 uses.

Glad it is working for you. I am a big Nikon guy for their system. I prefer the controls to the Canons, but both make great cameras. I guess for what we do (online work), the D40 just works so well, it is hard to justify the 3100. As for the lenses, we have 18/55, 55/200, 70/300, and they are all working great. Love that big telephoto.

I've read that Nikon is a little more user-friendly than Canon but I have only ecver owned/used Nikon so with respect to comparison, only know what I read. My younger sister does pro portrait work as a sideline and is a primary Canon user. She loves her stuff and has never used Nikon so doesn't know what she's missing I guess. :D I noticed many of the functions are in different places.... I suppose it's all in what you're used to.

I'd like to give a 70-300 a test drive some time but am thinking a 10mm or 12mm wide-angle zoom as the next investment.

Last edited:
My wife is looking to get a new camera with a manual lens. I know nothing about them and was wondering if there was a good site to read up on them or what I need and don't need as we buy our first "nice" camera.

My wife is looking to get a new camera with a manual lens. I know nothing about them and was wondering if there was a good site to read up on them or what I need and don't need as we buy our first "nice" camera.
cNet reviews all of them, and they have a pretty nice little dslr buying guide. I'd start there.

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-prosum...ve some cash on what is currently the latest.

Go to
Kenrockwell.com

I also do bit of photography. In the interest of not starting a new thread figured I would post this here. Anyone else like photographing their golf equipment?
5613348549_cd692dc764_b.jpg

I would say I have been known to take a few pictures...hehe
Obviously we have lots, but here is one I always liked.

694952136_9rz2p-L-1.jpg

I've read that Nikon is a little more user-friendly than Canon but I have only ecver owned/used Nikon so with respect to comparison, only know what I read. My younger sister does pro portrait work as a sideline and is a primary Canon user. She loves her stuff and has never used Nikon so doesn't know what she's missing I guess. :D I noticed many of the functions are in different places.... I suppose it's all in what you're used to.

I'd like to give a 70-300 a test drive some time but am thinking a 10mm or 12mm wide-angle zoom as the next investment.

I am a Canon user, but my fav lense the the old trusty 50mm. It just gives such beautiful pictures.

Is there a thread for people that take golf photos?? Someplace where they can display them? Or would that be here?

I say have at it. Throw them in here.

I cant take pics for crap, but I love looking at photography. I look at "Afghan Girl" at least once a day. Gives me goosebumps.

Having a little reunion with some high school golf buddies this weekend so going to take the camera out and try and play and snap at the same time. Will see what I come up with. Anything good will come back and post.

I also do bit of photography. In the interest of not starting a new thread figured I would post this here. Anyone else like photographing their golf equipment?
5613348549_cd692dc764_b.jpg

I haven't done it before but I like what you did here. Gotta try some of that. Any tips you have are welcome. I just started with my first DSLR (canon D550) about a year ago. Have a few lenses of which my favorite walk about is a 28-135 (I think thats it). I also have a 50 prime which I love. I have a wide angle as well (11-16) which is fun to play with as well.

I love my little Nikon D3000. After getting a chocolate lab 4 months ago, shes all that I take pictures of now, lol.

I just uploaded a few of her pics to photobucket to share.

bw2.jpg

DSC_0358.jpg

DSC_0538-1.jpg

DSC_1055-1.jpg

Great pics Redlyne, I love that pup..

Thanks Trout!

I love my little Nikon D3000. After getting a chocolate lab 4 months ago, shes all that I take pictures of now, lol.

+1 on the D3000, I steal my wife's whenever I get the chance.

Gorgeous pics also, that is one CUTE puppy!

Shared these before, love to show em off any chance I get though.

Here are some pics of mine from my wife's Flikr....my boys. (She's deep into the whole photography thing lol, hobby for a med-student)

Boomer the Cocker

Maximus Pugimus

Brotherly love/chaos...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back