Golf Digest 2011 Hot List. What Do You Think?

Makes sense to leave the ratings out of it now that you spell it out like that. Hadn't thought of it that way.

2011 Hot List

2011 Hot List

Just got my issue of the 2011 hot list. Man I really want some new clubs it is a shame that my irons I got back in June, driver and 3w for Christmas:banghead:. It sure does seem that :callaway: has it going on this year. They got high ratings in all of their new Razr collection.

Merged with another thread.

I've had the impression for sometime that some of the OEM's get the rating based on the size of their check. I prefer to do my own clubs testing but the Hot List does make for interesting reading, but I take it with a grain of salt. JMO

What do folks think of the GD hot list for accessories like golf bags etc etc. Do we think they are more fairly inclined in those categories or do we think it is the same deal as the clubs?

I think they cover what is the industry standard. They probably have a huge subscriber base, most of which is into golf. I'm assuming a large percentage of them are not as engaged in equipment like most of us. It's easier to appeal to the masses with companies that are adept to reach those masses, hence the gold ratings of products from the biggest distributors.

serious golfers use tapatalk so we can THP on the fly!

I just don't get how you can have a 2010 or 2011 hot list and not mention the cleveland niblick. That said I do enjoy reading the issue and like everyone find the forum on Hackers to be more insightful.

Dont think theyre current product?
I just don't get how you can have a 2010 or 2011 hot list and not mention the cleveland niblick. That said I do enjoy reading the issue and like everyone find the forum on Hackers to be more insightful.

I used to look forward to the annual GD hot list but I truly believe that this is the best site ever for golf information and reviews. I mean based on the reviews that I have read here and the purchases that i have made this past year or so has been money well spent. I know what I am getting and what I can expect...for instance, this year based on THP reviews, I have purchase R9 SuperTri Driver, taylormade XFT wedges, Niblick wedges and the scrixon golf balls. Reading about the THP members experiences are invaluable information that you can not get from the major magazines.

Maybe I am wrong, but I seem to recall that the editors of GD said that the 'demand' category did not factor into the official results. Though it's hard to see why its there or explain some of the results in that case.

I wonder though if the results are because of what the testers said they would buy or 'want' afterwards. In that case I bet a lot of the want, especially from those without much knowledge of the industry, would be based on what they know or what they have seen advertised (in GD and other places). Since Callaway and TM flood the ad world it's not hard hard to see how many would choose those drivers over a Sixron one- even if the Sixron performed well or better.

The rankings then are more about how each is predicted to sell rather then strictly how well each performs. Hence it is a 'Hot List' and not a performance ranking. Last year the Mizuno MX700 was loved by the testers and shown to be the lowest spinning and one of the longest drivers in the GD test- but got a silver. And I am sure the sales were 'silver' as well.

I still like the GD issue, and the Golf Magazine review issue one as well- but I can't think of anything I bought in the last 5 years based on the ranking in those magazines.

Maybe I am wrong, but I seem to recall that the editors of GD said that the 'demand' category did not factor into the official results. Though it's hard to see why its there or explain some of the results in that case.

I wonder though if the results are because of what the testers said they would buy or 'want' afterwards. In that case I bet a lot of the want, especially from those without much knowledge of the industry, would be based on what they know or what they have seen advertised (in GD and other places). Since Callaway and TM flood the ad world it's not hard hard to see how many would choose those drivers over a Sixron one- even if the Sixron performed well or better.

The rankings then are more about how each is predicted to sell rather then strictly how well each performs. Hence it is a 'Hot List' and not a performance ranking. Last year the Mizuno MX700 was loved by the testers and shown to be the lowest spinning and one of the longest drivers in the GD test- but got a silver. And I am sure the sales were 'silver' as well.

I still like the GD issue, and the Golf Magazine review issue one as well- but I can't think of anything I bought in the last 5 years based on the ranking in those magazines.

Demand is a factor in the results. THey say it is a Hot List not a review. Its a farce. They are one of the few organizations that has the ability to actually do a full robot review and declare winners. Yet they know they cannot do such a thing.

I just don't get how you can have a 2010 or 2011 hot list and not mention the cleveland niblick.

this is interesting to me. I work in the industry and play golf all over the place. outside of this forum....I have never seen a cleveland niblick in a bag, on a shelf, or mentioned in causal conversation.

it must have a cult following or something.

this is interesting to me. I work in the industry and play golf all over the place. outside of this forum....I have never seen a cleveland niblick in a bag, on a shelf, or mentioned in causal conversation.

Yet based on their volume of sales (in terms of pieces) they sold more Niblicks than quite a few companies sold wedges.

Yet based on their volume of sales (in terms of pieces) they sold more Niblicks than quite a few companies sold wedges.

I'm not disputing that they haven't sold....just that I've not seen them in along my path. I've not looked at volume numbers for them so I'll take your word for it. sites like yours, JB assist equipment manufacturers in getting the word out about products that some might never get otherwise. wouldn't you agree? it's a good thing.

but that doesn't change the fact that I have never seen one in a bag. maybe they hype hasn't hit my area yet. our cleveland rep will need to send us one so we can give it a go. he's never mentioned it before.

I'm not disputing that they haven't sold....just that I've not seen them in along my path. I've not looked at volume numbers for them so I'll take your word for it. sites like yours, JB assist equipment manufacturers in getting the word out about products that some might never get otherwise. wouldn't you agree? it's a good thing.

but that doesn't change the fact that I have never seen one in a bag. maybe they hype hasn't hit my area yet. our cleveland rep will need to send us one so we can give it a go. he's never mentioned it before.

I think the goal with any high volume site is to make sure that everything gets covered. From the smallest of companies to the largest. So in that aspect, yes I think it is something that assists both large and small. It is an item that I did not want to like, that is for sure. But based on weighting and length makes sense for a lot of people that struggle with short game.

I also think it is a club (and others like it) that is very polarizing (similar to the white driver) in that traditionalists will want no part of. I also think for the low capper or really good short game player, it may not be needed at all. For me it is a confidence thing in trouble spots (however I removed it for an additional hybrid).

Back to the topic at hand, I do think because its a polarizing club and one not used by many, the Hot List does not really have a spot for it. But then again, with no standard release dates for companies anymore the Hot List has to evolve (and is this year) because otherwise you get items that are in back to back years and that is clearly not what they want to have happen.

I never saw one in a bag other than mine when I lived in Holland- which could be in part because Cleveland as a brand is not so well known). But in my home town of Halifax, Canada, they were sold out of the 42* when I was there in September and I was behind someone buying the 56*. So like you say I guess the demand varies from region to region.

It is an amazing club which would help a huge amount of golfers and certinaly worth a gold listing in GD. I suspect that the reason it wan't listed is because the equipment editor wrote in an oped that he thought it was a “moral outrage” and a "crutch”. Not based on performance mind you, he just considers himself a 'traditionalist'. And I guess if he doesn't like then none of the GD readers will get to see it tested. There was a counter view in that piece if I remember right, but obvioulsy he had the last word.

Still waiting on his review of the latest leather wrapped ball, rutting iron and hickory shafts.

I've never seen a niblick either. Which begs the question, if they are so hot on having mid and high-handicappers playing GI and SGI irons, why do they only review "players" wedges? Many manufacturers make gap, sand, and LW's to go along with their sets yet you never see those reviewed. However, those wedges would probably be better for the average golfer than a Vokey, a JAWS, or a CG15.

I've never seen a niblick either. Which begs the question, if they are so hot on having mid and high-handicappers playing GI and SGI irons, why do they only review "players" wedges? Many manufacturers make gap, sand, and LW's to go along with their sets yet you never see those reviewed. However, those wedges would probably be better for the average golfer than a Vokey, a JAWS, or a CG15.

Because those wedges that you speak of are considered irons and get reviewed with in the iron set.

I think the hot list is something that is useful from an eye candy and information gathering perspective. It does have good information about the clubs that are featured and there is a value to that.

However, I do not understand the Gold and Silver Medal distinction. It seems arbitrary and "incentive based", especially when I get an email from Callaway the day after talking about how they got 11 Gold Medals the next day. Not that I doubt the quality of Callaway's products, it just seems kinda shady to me.

It also seems like kindergarten in a way with everyone getting gold stars for tying their shoes (or releasing new equipment). If this is supposed to be a true ranking, only give out 3 golds, 3 silvers and 4 bronze. Make a real distinction between why these products are better than others based on the data gathered and the feedback recieved.

I always read the Hotlist. The issue I have with it, that I have sent feedback to them on is that there is so little published to back up the ratings and more specifically the comments. I do not believe that they manipulate the rankings at all, but we are given very little in the way of individual rankings and comments. A quick little blurb and we are to take that as a fair assessment. I look only to feedback on sites such as THP and players I play with that vary greatly from the Hotlist.
To those testing the Mashie, Silver or Gold?

I think the hot list is something that is useful from an eye candy and information gathering perspective.

I think you nailed my view of the Hot List right on the head! It is eye candy, you stop, you look, drool a bit, but in the end you head home to the family you love and who gives it to you straight (THP is the family in this analogy). =)

Back