Golf Digest 2011 Hot List. What Do You Think?

It kinda seems that no matter how they do it, they will get criticized. I still think its an interesting read, that doesnt mean I will base my purchases of it, but interesting nonetheless..

It kinda seems that no matter how they do it, they will get criticized. I still think its an interesting read, that doesnt mean I will base my purchases of it, but interesting nonetheless..

No question about it. It is a thankless job. But the point of almost 100% of the criticism is that the category in the rankings called demand has no place in there. You have a company that has the ability to declare a winner in each product based on performance (which is what they market it as "a club test) and yet they dont do that. Instead they can skew things any way they would like to by creating a category called demand.

I like the read quite a bit and like I said, they will always get criticized, but the medal system is a joke at this point. Over half the entries in some categories get gold medals and those that get silver are usually just as high in performance and only dropped based on demand. Then you have some companies that get repeat performers in the mix (see G15 and R9 last year) yet get heavy marks on innovation when they are not even a new product.

No question about it. It is a thankless job. But the point of almost 100% of the criticism is that the category in the rankings called demand has no place in there. You have a company that has the ability to declare a winner in each product based on performance (which is what they market it as "a club test) and yet they dont do that. Instead they can skew things any way they would like to by creating a category called demand.

I like the read quite a bit and like I said, they will always get criticized, but the medal system is a joke at this point. Over half the entries in some categories get gold medals and those that get silver are usually just as high in performance and only dropped based on demand. Then you have some companies that get repeat performers in the mix (see G15 and R9 last year) yet get heavy marks on innovation when they are not even a new product.

Hard to argue with the ridiculousness of the demand category.

Mashie only Silver according to the new GD hotlist!!!

Mashie only Silver according to the new GD hotlist!!!

So with all the great reviews coming back for the Mashie, howcome Golf Digest only rates this club as a Silver medalist and not Gold in the new Hotlist!!
Ant thoughts?

Yeah, lots of comments about this in the hot list post. Basically, the Mashie got trashed in the "demand" category, which is a completely bogus category really. Think it got hit a bit on the looks category too. Performed very well in the performance category, which in my book, is the only category that really matters.

that's ok man....that means more availability for us hehe everyone will buy their clubs based on 'reviews' while the more informed consumer will still hit things first hand, attend THP Demo Days, and make their own informed decision. Remember, sheep get slaughtered
Yeah, lots of comments about this in the hot list post. Basically, the Mashie got trashed in the "demand" category, which is a completely bogus category really. Think it got hit a bit on the looks category too. Performed very well in the performance category, which in my book, is the only category that really matters.

I will take THP's reviews over GD's anytime.

Merged with another thread.

I thought the list was nothing but a joke, i will put my stock in THP to see what i should give it a go with. Of course in my current situation i will most likely get only W/S equipment. I know i wont be able to get this deal forever though and, in the future when i have to buy clubs from the stores THP will be were i do my research. It baffles me how GD gets away with this year after year but then again, i bought the mag too, LOL. I know you guys just reviewed W/S's DXI and thought it was pretty good yet there is no mention of it or the DXI woods or hybrids. I have not hit any of them but, i find it VERY hard to believe the DXI line and the new FG Tour wedges are not good enough to be in it. If they would call it what in my opinion it is "The Popularity List" i would not get so agitated but, there are so many of the readers that use it as their shopping list and i just do not think it is right or fair to the smaller companies that make great stuff. Just my .02 cents.

It is interesting that with the technological advancements we are seeing, so much of the equipment now days are getting 4.5 and 5 stars in many of the Hot List categories. Mr. Stachura says that the Demand score is only given a 5% weight towards the overall score. Lets take the drivers for example, with the majority of the drivers receiving 4 and 5 stars in the first 3 categories, a 1 in the demand category is definitely enough to bump an excellent driver down to Silver. This is what I expect happened with the Srixon Z-Star and also the Mashie. I don't know why he claims otherwise, it is a mathematical certainty.

with all of the great info on the web and especially here, i am letting my subscription expire

I'm just mad that it seems like I was the last one to get my golf digest.

look i can post like tc from tapatalk

Don't worry, I still haven't received mine yet. Maybe by the outing I'll have it.

I'm just mad that it seems like I was the last one to get my golf digest.

look i can post like tc from tapatalk

I get my posting on the run

golf4frek

golf4frek

Hi to all, new guy here. My two cents on the new equipment issue is that it makes the old stuff that was way over priced to begin with more affordable! If you liked it when you hit it at a demo day or wherever, you maybe more apt to go and make the purchase now because you know it's going to drop drastically in price! It's amazing how that happens!!

Don't worry, I still haven't received mine yet. Maybe by the outing I'll have it.

I get my posting on the run

Just got mine today

Titleist got 8 gold star products, 0 silver star. If Im not mistaken, Titleists whole product line isnt much larger than 8 products

Unless we are talking about callaway X series irons. Those things hang on to value like crazy. My 22s are not much cheaper than the 24s

Well duh silly. They are great clubs, and their balls are amazing. Thats what the commercials tell me anyway. I have never hit them, but they are the best.

Titleist got 8 gold star products, 0 silver star. If Im not mistaken, Titleists whole product line isnt much larger than 8 products

Hi to all, new guy here. My two cents on the new equipment issue is that it makes the old stuff that was way over priced to begin with more affordable! If you liked it when you hit it at a demo day or wherever, you maybe more apt to go and make the purchase now because you know it's going to drop drastically in price! It's amazing how that happens!!
Greetings and welcome to THP! Yes, but as equipment junkies we have to have the new stuff NOW! LOL!

Just remember; Golf Digest's SILVER may just be another man's GOLD. I think we have to try everything we are interested in to find what works for us.

Just remember; Golf Digest's SILVER may just be another man's GOLD. I think we have to try everything we are interested in to find what works for us.

One example that comes to mind is the e5. I think it recieved a silver last year and personally I like them better than every other ball in that price category and even some of the "premium" offerings.

I find the "Hot Lists" interesting to read, but it's usually pretty easy to tell which clubs/balls/etc. are their "darlings", for whatever reason (personal preference, popularity and/or advertising $$$). Just as with anything else, I'll read reviews as part of my research when contemplating a purchase, but never depend exclusively on them for my decision.

Back