Westwood Attacks PGA Tour

I dont understand how he lied to us all. I mean he lied to a bunch of people I am sure, but I dont see it as a lie to golf and golfers as a whole.

The simple truth? People care more about what Tiger does. Always have, probably always will. Maybe its different in Europe with Lee Westwood, but the fact that Tiger put up those walls make people that much more interested in him. He took a sport, that was ever so boring, and made it exciting. He changed the sport entirely. As far as I understood, he is the reason guys are physically fit now. If they weren't, they wouldnt be able to keep up.

Dont get me wrong, Lee Westwood is funny, and has an entertaining twitter. But alot of people just dont care about him as much as they do Tiger. Love it or hate it, but it is what it is IMO.

Have you not watched a TW commercial about values (he has had a few) over the last decade? Have you not listened as he talked about honesty and virtues through his foundation?

I dont understand how he lied to us all. I mean he lied to a bunch of people I am sure, but I dont see it as a lie to golf and golfers as a whole.

Maybe a better word is "deceived"- Tiger deceived us. What personal image he did show us did not match who he actually was, and when that fell we all felt a little bit taken for a ride.
I think the point still stands though that Westwood is not putting up a false image. He is being himself and unabashedly sparking controversy.

I don't believe there was anything about Tigers personality that resulted in his fame. It was 100% his domination on the golf course and in some manner his race in an all white sport. Tiger's personality was a reaction to his fame... his fame wasn't a reaction to his personality. There are several golfers who's popularity was based more on their personality (Payne comes to mind immediately, despite his being a VERY good golfer) than their game. Tiger just wasn't one of those people.

lol at Westy's thread becoming a Tiger discussion. Poor guy just can't get out of his shadow.

Have you not watched a TW commercial about values (he has had a few) over the last decade? Have you not listened as he talked about honesty and virtues through his foundation?
Makes sense, never thought of it like that.

The simple truth? People care more about what Tiger does. Always have, probably always will. Maybe its different in Europe with Lee Westwood, but the fact that Tiger put up those walls make people that much more interested in him. He took a sport, that was ever so boring, and made it exciting. He changed the sport entirely. As far as I understood, he is the reason guys are physically fit now. If they weren't, they wouldnt be able to keep up.

Dont get me wrong, Lee Westwood is funny, and has an entertaining twitter. But alot of people just dont care about him as much as they do Tiger. Love it or hate it, but it is what it is IMO.

young thainer, your tiger passion is strong, and it's all good, and i believe that some of your points are somewhat ok. but tiger did lie to us, he deceived us. do we even know who tiger woods is? i'm not so sure. he's is huge, he was/is the face of golf, but my, oh my, how that is changing. he's more vulnerable than ever in his life and it's leaking over on the golf course. that mysterious, magical albatross known as tiger woods isn't the intimidator he once was. little pudgy, beer swilling northern irishmen are taking him down on sundays, a moob possessing, dentist needing englishman has taken the #1 away from him, and we are all witnesses. and as they do these things, they are utilizing social mediums, letting us in on their senses of humor, their personal lives, heck, they share pictures of themselves in their day to day lives with us. they are SHARING their golf, their lives with us, and i am so grateful for it.

I used to think Westwood was kind of stiff and pompous, then I started following him on twitter and the guy has a really good, sharp sense of humor. Some of the stuff that flies back and forth between him and McIlroy is brilliant. It did alot to humanize the guy for me.

I used to think Westwood was kind of stiff and pompous, then I started following him on twitter and the guy has a really good, sharp sense of humor. Some of the stuff that flies back and forth between him and McIlroy is brilliant. It did alot to humanize the guy for me.

+2. I agree. I'm starting to look at him differently as I follow his postings more and more.

I think anyone that spends as much time on top of the world as tiger did is bound to come tumbling down. Surely there are exceptions but as a general rule, when you put anyone on a pedestal for too long... It breaks!

Tiger would certainly do well to show some personality. He has spent his whole career trying to hide (apparently for good reason). But at this point the cat is out of the bag, and now we all know he's just a horny little bastard like every other male on the planet. So, he's shown that he's not perfect. I never expected him to be perfect, despite the public image he tried to portray.

Westwood makes it a point to get under everyones skin, and does a damn good job of it, at least here in the US. Much of his stuff is funny. Some think he's fat, has bad teeth, is ugly and his momma dresses him funny. But at the end of the day he is the #1 golfer in the world. I'm not particularly a fan of his, but I hope he stays there for a while! It's well past the time to see a shuffle in the rankings, and hopefully this is the start.

I love watching Tiger golf. That sumbich could make a golf ball bend to his will for a long time. I hope he can again in the future. In the mean time, I hope he is appropriately humbled.

Reactions: TC
I think anyone that spends as much time on top of the world as tiger did is bound to come tumbling down. Surely there are exceptions but as a general rule, when you put anyone on a pedestal for too long... It breaks!

Tiger would certainly do well to show some personality. He has spent his whole career trying to hide (apparently for good reason). But at this point the cat is out of the bag, and now we all know he's just a horny little bastard like every other male on the planet. So, he's shown that he's not perfect. I never expected him to be perfect, despite the public image he tried to portray.

Westwood makes it a point to get under everyones skin, and does a damn good job of it, at least here in the US. Much of his stuff is funny. Some think he's fat, has bad teeth, is ugly and his momma dresses him funny. But at the end of the day he is the #1 golfer in the world. I'm not particularly a fan of his, but I hope he stays there for a while! It's well past the time to see a shuffle in the rankings, and hopefully this is the start.

I love watching Tiger golf. That sumbich could make a golf ball bend to his will for a long time. I hope he can again in the future. In the mean time, I hope he is appropriately humbled.

i like this post! like it so much i had to leave you some rep. i think you said what a lot of people think, i can get down with that.

you're right though, like him or hate him, lee westwood is the #1 golfer in the world, and he does let us in on his personal life. i watch him interact with his father on twitter and they both give each other a hard time. it's refreshing. i hope he gets a major under his belt this year, i really do.

i also hope that tiger gets back to form. i want to see just how good some of these guys are against him at his best.

My honest opinion is that there are more good people in this world than bad- and I don't think that every person "on the top of the world" will fall like tiger did. A far better explanation is that we only remember the people who fall and those who don't are either forgotten by time or become things of legend. More than just exceptions, I think if you have a reasonable expectations of humanity that very few people come toppling down like tiger did.

I will point out that I think that, even if westwood did something very stupid along the lines of pulling a "tiger" that he wouldn't topple as hard and would be forgiven much faster. That isn't because Tiger gets more scrutiny... it is because Westwood doesn't present himself as perfect. He presents himself as a flawed and imperfect person. As someone mentioned above, he is humanized.

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." John Kenneth Galbraith

I'm pretty new to twitter so may have picked this up wrong but Poulter is saying Westwood has had his teeth done!

Back