Volvo Tournament of Champions - Bahrain

the_paulo

Euro target practice
Reaction score
Handicap
TMEX 0.5
Anyone seeing the coverage? A very strange looking track, with gas pipes running through the course, and lots of undulating greens.

The scoring is starting to heat up. Both Molinaris going very well, Casey, Hanson, Clarke, Jiminez amongst those up there too. Lots of birdies so far.

From what I've seen, it's notable that Poulter is struggling on the greens. He's hitting the ball really well, but just can't hit through those putts. It's obviously due to his stroke being honed on greens running about 11-12 on the stimp, but these are in the low 9s this week.

Don't overlook Cobra's new player, Johan Edfors, shot 64 yesterday and is leading the tournament.

Don't overlook Cobra's new player, Johan Edfors, shot 64 yesterday and is leading the tournament.

Absolutely, Gray. Johan has been about for a while now, and he strikes the ball beautifully, which belies his ranking. Just needs to get the mental game sorted and he could have a great season!

Absolutely, Gray. Johan has been about for a while now, and he strikes the ball beautifully, which belies his ranking. Just needs to get the mental game sorted and he could have a great season!

I wonder why he is not playing tounaments in the U.S. now?

I wonder why he is not playing tounaments in the U.S. now?

I can only guess. If I was to guess, I think he may have taken some advice. He may be more comfortable in Europe, and has the ability to go low, but relies a lot on confidence in his game. Too many times he puts a couple of bad holes together and you can't do that with the quality of the fields now. Perhaps he's decided to have a couple of seasons of trying to grab some good results and convince himself he's good enough?

We must have put too must pressure on poor Johan Edfors. Could only muster a 1 under 71 today. Leaves him at -9 and 2 shots back from the 4 joint leaders - Hanson, Jimenez, E Molinari (the 'tall' one) and Jaquelin.

Honourable mention for my countryman Stephen Gallacher, with a 64 today!

How did Sergio fair?

How did Sergio fair?

The man Garcia had a nice 69 today and is sitting pretty at -8. Seems that his new claw-style putting grip is being kind to him at the moment.

The man Garcia had a nice 69 today and is sitting pretty at -8. Seems that his new claw-style putting grip is being kind to him at the moment.

Man, I'd love to see Sergio get back in to form. I know he'll be highly watched by his Ryder Cup captain over the course of the season. I love the passion he brings to that event and would like to see him relevant again.

Man, I'd love to see Sergio get back in to form. I know he'll be highly watched by his Ryder Cup captain over the course of the season. I love the passion he brings to that event and would like to see him relevant again.

I would too, I actually like he took a break from the game, he was obviously in need of a break to miss something that he loves so much!

I would too, I actually like he took a break from the game, he was obviously in need of a break to miss something that he loves so much!

Yeah, it's amazing to think that just a couple of years ago he was #2 in the world. Goes to show how fickle of a game golf is I guess.

Yeah, it's amazing to think that just a couple of years ago he was #2 in the world. Goes to show how fickle of a game golf is I guess.

it sure is, hell, look at TW

I have an opinion question for you guys. A couple of years back, Sergio was arguably Europe's only hope for the no 1 spot, and thus had a lot of media focus/pressure on him. Do you think, now that has calmed slightly, that this will help his game? So, will he relish having the chance to just play the game without the pressure, or does he need that to thrive?

I have an opinion question for you guys. A couple of years back, Sergio was arguably Europe's only hope for the no 1 spot, and thus had a lot of media focus/pressure on him. Do you think, now that has calmed slightly, that this will help his game? So, will he relish having the chance to just play the game without the pressure, or does he need that to thrive?

Good question paulo. Ironically, the Golf Channel spent a decent amount of time talking about Sergio last night and this morning, so I'm not so sure that the media focus ever really left. It's lightened, sure, but now I can see the pressure from him to return to form, especially with his fellow countryman being the RC Captain.

I think that right now he could be playing without a little pressure but then again, he's probably putting a fair amount on himself to get back into relevancy again.

The guy in the_paulo's avatar, Miguel Angel Jimenez, continues to be "the most interesting man in the world". He snapped his putter after he played the 14th hole today, and putted with his lob wedge for the rest of his round. Was that a problem? Um, no. He birdied 15, 16, and 17, and is tied for the lead! Full story here: http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/d...=AkcszcBxeoDcOq11b4KSfVoogsUF?urn=golf-313745

A

MAZ

ING

Yes, the guy is in my avatar space for a reason. It gets no cooler than Miguel.

That's the difference. Sergio would have stormed off and blamed the rest of the world. Miguel just calmly shows the rest of the world how it's done on his home planet.

A

MAZ

ING

Yes, the guy is in my avatar space for a reason. It gets no cooler than Miguel.

That's the difference. Sergio would have stormed off and blamed the rest of the world. Miguel just calmly shows the rest of the world how it's done on his home planet.

I turned it on late and was wondering what happened. Did he step on it, or just get hot and snap it?

I think it was a 'backhand triple-pike insertion into tour bag at velocity' gone wrong.

I had to stop the dvr for a little bit and just now saw the ribbing Jimenez got from Clark and Monty, it was priceless. Funny stuff from these guy's right on the course, lol.

the Molinari brothers are just good golfers. Fun to watch really. poulter is strugglin bt his caddie had a cig hanging. haha

I just saw a guy hit iff the cart path...haha, I guess its easy to do when you dont buy your own clubs

the Molinari brothers are just good golfers. Fun to watch really. poulter is strugglin bt his caddie had a cig hanging. haha

I just saw a guy hit iff the cart path...haha, I guess its easy to do when you dont buy your own clubs

Yah alot of pros prefer hitting off the path rather than dropping in the rough. Like you said....easy when you don't pay for youre own stuff.

Anyone have a video of MAJ breaking his putter?

I think they all need to break their putters this morning. I've been watching for 20 minutes and have not seen one putt fall.

Kevin

Back