Iron set (bag set up) question

Truetemper

Reaction score
Handicap
With you irons I have noticed alot of you have 3 - PW. Would you ever go 3 or 4 iron - 9 iron in the same set (eg Ping), then get PW, GW, SW, LW all in the same brand (eg. Vokey).

The reason I ask, I have the i15 (4-PW). I like them but I prefer the look of a blade or a thinner topline. Which made me consider the S56 irons. I like the forgiveness of the i15. My biggest complaint is the chunky PW in the i15. If I buy a 46 or 47 in the S56 while keeping my 4-9 i15. Then have my GW and SW in another brand. Anyone else do this?

It's very common, especially amongst better players. If I didn't like my PW I'd get one I liked in a heartbeat.

id say that its your bag put in there what you like to play even if that was 14 totally different make clubs as long as it works for you

id say that its your bag put in there what you like to play even if that was 14 totally different make clubs as long as it works for you

Yep. Play what works. I only use 3 of the irons from my 3-PW set. Everyone sets up differently.

I personally left my PW to match my irons, mainly because I hit it well. Also, it came with my set so I couldn't justify spending money on a PW when I have one I seem to have success with.

I love my pitching wedge and utility wedge and they are part of the set.That being said there's nothing wrong with going the way of the S56 or something other or a mix when it concerns you're wedges.Like another poster started it's not uncommon with the better players.
Go with what works best in helping you score. If you feel uncomfortable with you present wedge; well confidence is a big part of the shot.

Play what works best for you. I still have my set's pw, Nickent, but gw is a CG15, then Sw is a CG14, and back to a Cg15 lob 60*, lol. I took my 3i out last year and will likely remove the 4i this year replaced by hyrids. I'm also pondering another set of irons, Mizz's, and may only use their 5 and 6 because I really like my Nickent 7, 8 and 9 irons.

Which would be the better wedge set up:

A) 9 iron (41*) PW (46*) GW (50*) SW (56*) or B) 9 iron (41*) PW (48*) GW (52*) SW (56*) ?

considering either the CG14 or CG15

A) 9 iron (41*) PW (46*) GW (50*) SW (56*) or B) 9 iron (41*) PW (48*) GW (52*) SW (56*) ?

C) 41*, 45*, 50*, 55*
Bend your PW to 45 and 56 to 55, that way if you decide to carry a 60* one day it will fit in perfectly. Plus the gaps are nicely spread if you bend those 2.

Or D) 41*, 46*, 51*, 56* that way you would only have to bend your 50* to a 51*.

I like D the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been considering getting a 48* Vokey for a long time now, I just wanna test my new PW first.

C) 41*, 45*, 50*, 55*
Bend your PW to 45 and 56 to 55, that way if you decide to carry a 60* one day it will fit in perfectly. Plus the gaps are nicely spread if you bend those 2.

Or D) 41*, 46*, 51*, 56* that way you would only have to bend your 50* to a 51*.

I like D the best.

Bending is not always an option for some players because of the changes it can make to the bounce.

Go with whatever works for YOU. What works for you may not work for anyone else. I like my wedges to be matched to my irons if possible. It is simply a feel thing for me and it works great for me.

The sole on the I15 is the same with as the sole on a vokey last time i checked. So I dont quite understand where youre coming from.

With you irons I have noticed alot of you have 3 - PW. Would you ever go 3 or 4 iron - 9 iron in the same set (eg Ping), then get PW, GW, SW, LW all in the same brand (eg. Vokey).

The reason I ask, I have the i15 (4-PW). I like them but I prefer the look of a blade or a thinner topline. Which made me consider the S56 irons. I like the forgiveness of the i15. My biggest complaint is the chunky PW in the i15. If I buy a 46 or 47 in the S56 while keeping my 4-9 i15. Then have my GW and SW in another brand. Anyone else do this?

I've done both. It depends on the set. I'm in love with my 48* Scratch wedge right now, so that's my PW for as long as I have a 9 iron that works with it. When I had the Nike VR Splits, I really liked that PW.

Bending is not always an option for some players because of the changes it can make to the bounce.

True, but I don't think 1* of bounce will bother him. Just my opinion though. Your call TT.

depends on your yardage gapping. Sometimes I think people get too conscious of the numbers on the clubs instead of the yardage difference.

My X22 PW is much more akin to a 10 iron than what I would consider a true wedge. But I like it that way; therefore I usually bump one of my FW or long irons for an extra "real" wedge in my bag.

Back