Buying new suv- reviews opinion?

cg13

Addict
Reaction score
Handicap
OOB 13.3
Been in the market for an suv last few weeks, came close to buying an Acadia - but decided i would try everything in the class before making a decision.

Anyone driven or own the following able to offer their opinion in the long run?

Acadia- largest in the class- tons of room, nav and radio not as high tech as the acuras, Audis. Nice 0% APR for 60 mos.

Highlander- good size, cheaper than most, decent options- ho hum test drive

4runner- more room than highlander- felt more like a truck handling wise.

Audi q5- this thing just flat out drives like a Porsche. Engine and handling best in class- heard some reliability issues- sweet nav and audio system. Little smaller than most- short on cargo room.

Acura mdx- sweet handling, nice acceleration- sweet nav and audio system, smaller cargo area rear seating, nice finance options.

Lexus rx350- need to demo

Jeep Cherokee- need to demo

Honda pilot- need to demo

Looking for any info anyone might have- trying to narrow down my choices

Not sure if you have anything against Dodge but check out the all new Druango, I hear its pretty damn good. Look awesome.

2011-Dodge-Durango-1-660x482.jpg

Just mean looking!

No BMW's on your list? I don't know what kind of budget you're working with but I love the X6 w/the diesel motor. 575 miles on 1 tank of gas bro!

I'll have to try em- that durango does look nice. I like the sound of diesel- a few of the models I listed have diesel options. Haven't decided one way or the other.

Forgot to list the vw tourag- looked at one- but it must have been too cold bc no salesman came to see if i needed help, and I wasnt going looking.

I looked at Consumer Reports because we are looking at buying a SUV as well and they said the Chevy Traverse was one of their favorites. Honda Pilot was high on their list. They did not review the new Ford Explorer but from what I have read and have seen, it looks really nice. It is also suppose to get really good mileage for a larger SUV, somewhere in the mid 20's.

+1. Definitely refer to CR.

I'll have to try em- that durango does look nice. I like the sound of diesel- a few of the models I listed have diesel options. Haven't decided one way or the other.

Forgot to list the vw tourag- looked at one- but it must have been too cold bc no salesman came to see if i needed help, and I wasnt going looking.

Ive heard nothing but bad things about that big VW SUV. Terrible track record. Remember, Diesel cost more and sometimes its hard to find. I have a deisel Jetta but its worth it for the mileage.

+1. Definitely refer to CR.

Id use it as a guide but dont take it as the final word. I think theyre kind of along the same lines as the hot list. BUt not as bad.

Mrs. Teeth and I LOVE the Pilot! It will most likely be our next car. It drives smooth, fits everything that we need, but the best part is it doesn't feel like a tank when you are driving it. We bought a Civic about 5 years ago and have never had a single issue with it, so we are partial to the Honda line.

Id use it as a guide but dont take it as the final word. I think theyre kind of along the same lines as the hot list. BUt not as bad.

No advertising in Consumer Reports. I have yet to be steered wrong by them on a purchase. I was even proved wrong by them on my first brand new car. Should have listened.

I have read and reviews consumer reports and i also like edmunds.com

Both have good reviews and edmundsgives ya invoice pricing on everything so u know if ur getting robbed

Have you looked into the EX or FX Infinities ? I have 2 Infinities 1 08 EX awd and an 04 G35x awd .
No problems with either , and I get 25mpg in the city & 30 highway with the EX .
My wifes G35 has 160,000 miles .

I work for a GM dealership and will say the Acadias are a big seller !

Ford has the new explorer coming out soon. It looks to be another winner for Ford.

Definitely the Grand Cherokee and the Durango if you have the money.

Definitely the Grand Cherokee and the Durango if you have the money.

Agree, Ive heard nothing but good things about the new Grand Cherokee. Were looking at one this next summer maybe.

I've test drove the new Cherokee briefly (used to work at a cjd dealership) and all I can say is that it's a joy to drive.

I've test drove the new Cherokee briefly (used to work at a cjd dealership) and all I can say is that it's a joy to drive.

Yep, my brother had a brand new Grand Cherokee for a week as his work vehicle. It was absolutely amazing.
So comfortable, so smooth, so capable, so useable.
It just had the pentastar in it, but it was so buttery smooth, you didn't even notice that it was a bit slow

I have driven the Audi- its head and shoulders above anything else on your list I think. And it looks way better than the Porsche SUV.

Yea I def want to try a Cherokee- I liked the audi- but for all purposes itdoesnt fit the bill - I need cargo room for long trips and ability to haul stuff that I just can't do with my sedans.

Thanks for all the first hand info i love to hear first hand experiences!!

I just bought a 2011 Chevy Tahoe Z71 and I love it. Lots of power, Lots of room, Three rows of seats, Lots of fun, and looks great. Check em out. The color of mine is Red Jewel Tint coat and it is gorgeous.

We just bought a new suv and tried slot of the ones you've listed. Really liked the Acadia/Traverse but it just wasn't right for us. The Acura was really nice, lots of tech, powerful engine but my wife didn't think it had enough cargo room. The Audi was awesome, but was more than we wanted to spend. And I liked the Pilot, again wifey didn't.
The only one we agreed on (and bought) was the Volvo XC 90. Not terribly sporty but rock solid, safety features out the wazoo and has great luxury features in a weird Swedish sort of way. I love it!

My parents have had several SUVs and their favorite by far has been the Lexus RX 350. I just got my moms for my 16th birthday. Its awesome. Rides so smooth.

I love the Acura MDX! I had one for a few days when my TL was in for maintenance. It's a great SUV - well-finished, great power, and with the SH-AWD, great handling. Looks great too. The MDX would be my first choice if I were to buy an SUV.

The Tourag and even the Tiguan are very nice SUV's unbelievable consol but the only thing, which some can get over is it is a gas guzzler and the brake and gas are VERY touchy.

I personally drive a 2009 Ford Escape, love it. its not as luxerious as most but it's just an all around solid SUV.

I personally drive a 2009 Ford Escape, love it. its not as luxerious as most but it's just an all around solid SUV.

We have an 08 Escape that we also love. We don't need a giant, gas guzzling, haul a boat SUV, just us and a baby on flat Florida roads. The 24 mpg is nice and almost as good as my little Altima, though it is a 98...

I take it the OP is looking for a bigger, more powerful beast than our little Escapes - but with gas prices back on the way up I certainly don't mind having less power that we personally don't need in return for the better mpg. :)

Back