TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Review Thread

Damnit! This is killing me. It's the one thing that seems to be universal, that these irons just have a certain it to them and it revolves around the feel. I need one of you guys to go and hit the R9 irons pronto and let me know how these compare in that department.

I'm also interested in this right now, as I have the R9 irons in the bag right now. Looking at the specs of the 2 iron sets, the R9 irons are a 1/4 inch longer and 1 degree stronger throughout the set than the CB set, so I would expect a little more distance from the R9 irons. However, there may be a difference in feel between the 2 irons sets. I'm definitely going to have to find a Taylormade demo day this spring to hit the CBs.

I'm also interested in this right now, as I have the R9 irons in the bag right now. Looking at the specs of the 2 iron sets, the R9 irons are a 1/4 inch longer and 1 degree stronger throughout the set than the CB set, so I would expect a little more distance from the R9 irons. However, there may be a difference in feel between the 2 irons sets. I'm definitely going to have to find a Taylormade demo day this spring to hit the CBs.

Sounds like a good idea. I love the R9 irons, some of the softest irons I've ever hit.

Sounds like a good idea. I love the R9 irons, some of the softest irons I've ever hit.

TC man you are starting to sound like an addict. Your on this thread more than the testers, jonesing for your hit of CB forged goodness.

Im still not sure why we are so hung up on trying to find an iron to compare them to. Lets just review what we have in front of us. As for what they do compare to...Mizuno MX-200 is close in terms of feel and look and peformance in my opinion.

Im still not sure why we are so hung up on trying to find an iron to compare them to. Lets just review what we have in front of us. As for what they do compare to...Mizuno MX-200 is close in terms of feel and look and peformance in my opinion.

Yeah, you're right JB, what they look like means very little in the scheme of things.

If anyone does have a set of R9's, I would much appreciate a distance comparison to the CB's. Even if it's just a 7 iron distance for each. From everyone's reviews so far this may be the final piece of info I need to make the jump from R9's to the CB's. Thanks for the fantastic feedback so far.

If anyone does have a set of R9's, I would much appreciate a distance comparison to the CB's. Even if it's just a 7 iron distance for each. From everyone's reviews so far this may be the final piece of info I need to make the jump from R9's to the CB's. Thanks for the fantastic feedback so far.

R9 distance for my 7 iron is 160
CB distance for my 7 iron is 155

Welcome to THP EOD! I love it when someone's been lurking and reading a thread and then when they sign up to ask some questions. Good stuff.

From what I've seen, and heard, you're gonna love these sticks.

R9 distance for my 7 iron is 160
CB distance for my 7 iron is 155

Actually, mine are spot on with this as well, but I was using an 8 iron. I went and hit the R9 last night so I could finally get this question answered. I did notice about a 5 yard loss on average. But, before you go and drop the idea of the CB's I want to let you know that my shot dispersion with the CB's was much tighter. It was actually pretty incredible. I would give up 5 yards any day of the week to be putting theball in the same spot like I do with these. I still am ver impressed with the CB's and I will be selling my Cleveland CG7's BP's because I am so impressed with these CB's.

Actually, mine are spot on with this as well, but I was using an 8 iron. I went and hit the R9 last night so I could finally get this question answered. I did notice about a 5 yard loss on average. But, before you go and drop the idea of the CB's I want to let you know that my shot dispersion with the CB's was much tighter. It was actually pretty incredible. I would give up 5 yards any day of the week to be putting theball in the same spot like I do with these. I still am ver impressed with the CB's and I will be selling my Cleveland CG7's BP's because I am so impressed with these CB's.

Dang, I don't need to hear this. I love my R9s, but a tighter dispersion! I do I say no to that!

I can't wait to start firing at greens with these. I'm lucky that the range I'm using has a ton of flags and bunkers, but I want to see them on the course!

Dang, I don't need to hear this. I love my R9s, but a tighter dispersion! I do I say no to that!

last sunday in my round, I really only had one bad iron shot, it was a 5 iron that I hit on the toe. There was another bad shot but it was because I mis judged the wind. but it was right on target and hit well.

I can't wait to start firing at greens with these. I'm lucky that the range I'm using has a ton of flags and bunkers, but I want to see them on the course!

yeah buddy, I think you are gonna love these on the course, I had plenty of chances to score, I just suck at putting.

People need something for comparison. Thats why I think we look for something to compare these to. It has nothing to do with looks. Its performance and price. What other iron can you get the same performance and consistency from like you do these? And at the same or lower price point? These are a forged face club so theyre not exactly a true forged club. Its difficult to pin them down and say this is similar. People need a base line. How can you car shop and compare if you dont have a few models and makes to compare? Its part of finding what you like and what works for you. Maybe these are just in a class of their own. And thats fine too. Sorry if this derails the testing, just my thoughts on the matter.

I can't begin to describe how happy I was to see these were so easy to hit. They are a big change from what I used last year and I was apprehensive that the smaller sole would cause issues for me, especially with ball flight. It was a treat to see the trajectory and distance I was getting.

I still want these in a bad way!

Hawk, I'm glad that you are seeing some early success. Confidence breeds good golf shots brother.

Indeed it does. Strong iron play is one of my main goals this year and it helps when you have an iron that feels so right.

Indeed it does. Strong iron play is one of my main goals this year and it helps when you have an iron that feels so right.

Precisely!! I'm excited about following the state of your game this year my man. Fact is, you've got some beauties in your bag in order to reach the goals you set for yourself. I'm rooting for you and I have to make a confession: this is the first thread I've ever subscribed to.

So I spent some time at the range yesterday. Took only 3 irons out there (7,8,9) and did the same with my current set as well as a set of Nike blades. I wanted to compare distance, forgiveness and performance of the 3 types of irons. Nothing to do with brands really, but having a blade, a smaller GI, and a full GI really put into perspective misses and where they go.

Distance - Call it loft, or anything else, these CBs perform in distance. Not quite as long as my current set, but a more penetrating ball flight. They also were quite a bit longer than the blades.

Forgiveness - I was surprised how forgiving they were when catching them a groove or two thick or thin. However I must have an incredibly flawed swing, because anytime I caught them on the heel or toe, they did not fly straight (nor did I expect them to). Overall they offer what I expected with a bonus for the shots caught a little heavy. Comparing these with the blade irons was near comical on the misses though. The blades went about 25 yards shorter when caught high on the club face.

Feel - Purely subjective and I liked it a lot. To me it is about the absence of sound at impact and these have that quite a bit. Think R9 irons meets MX-200s.

Workability - Did not even try to hit a draw and fade. Worked on hitting them straight and they did that very well.

Overall - I am enjoying testing them. They offer a lot of what I think people are looking for in a set of irons when they come to THP asking questions. Smaller club head with good feel that still has forgiveness.

People need something for comparison. Thats why I think we look for something to compare these to. It has nothing to do with looks. Its performance and price. What other iron can you get the same performance and consistency from like you do these? And at the same or lower price point? These are a forged face club so theyre not exactly a true forged club. Its difficult to pin them down and say this is similar. People need a base line. How can you car shop and compare if you dont have a few models and makes to compare? Its part of finding what you like and what works for you. Maybe these are just in a class of their own. And thats fine too. Sorry if this derails the testing, just my thoughts on the matter.

I hear exactly what you are saying buddy, but you have hit these and you know that they kind of are in a class of their own. I have thought and thought but just do not have something to compare them to. Mabe in a year you will be able to compare them to some sort of a Cobra because I am sure they will keep doing what they do and make clubs around TM's designs..hehe

Precisely!! I'm excited about following the state of your game this year my man. Fact is, you've got some beauties in your bag in order to reach the goals you set for yourself. I'm rooting for you and I have to make a confession: this is the first thread I've ever subscribed to.

I hope you get a chance to hit them soon. I think TM would be wise to send a lefty set to the outing :)

They offer a lot of what I think people are looking for in a set of irons when they come to THP asking questions. Smaller club head with good feel that still has forgiveness.

That's really a great way to describe them.

I hope you get a chance to hit them soon. I think TM would be wise to send a lefty set to the outing :)

That would be killer!

Nice write up JB.....I think this sums them up nicely:

They offer a lot of what I think people are looking for in a set of irons when they come to THP asking questions. Smaller club head with good feel that still has forgiveness.

I hear exactly what you are saying buddy, but you have hit these and you know that they kind of are in a class of their own. I have thought and thought but just do not have something to compare them to. Mabe in a year you will be able to compare them to some sort of a Cobra because I am sure they will keep doing what they do and make clubs around TM's designs..hehe

ZING! Very nice.

What did you see on the heavy shot misses?

So I spent some time at the range yesterday. Took only 3 irons out there (7,8,9) and did the same with my current set as well as a set of Nike blades. I wanted to compare distance, forgiveness and performance of the 3 types of irons. Nothing to do with brands really, but having a blade, a smaller GI, and a full GI really put into perspective misses and where they go.

Distance - Call it loft, or anything else, these CBs perform in distance. Not quite as long as my current set, but a more penetrating ball flight. They also were quite a bit longer than the blades.

Forgiveness - I was surprised how forgiving they were when catching them a groove or two thick or thin. However I must have an incredibly flawed swing, because anytime I caught them on the heel or toe, they did not fly straight (nor did I expect them to). Overall they offer what I expected with a bonus for the shots caught a little heavy. Comparing these with the blade irons was near comical on the misses though. The blades went about 25 yards shorter when caught high on the club face.

Feel - Purely subjective and I liked it a lot. To me it is about the absence of sound at impact and these have that quite a bit. Think R9 irons meets MX-200s.

Workability - Did not even try to hit a draw and fade. Worked on hitting them straight and they did that very well.

Overall - I am enjoying testing them. They offer a lot of what I think people are looking for in a set of irons when they come to THP asking questions. Smaller club head with good feel that still has forgiveness.

Back