Tips on walking a course?

JR

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey, gonna start walking courses once my membership gets approved. Never done it before. Any tips or need to know info?

Get ready to be tired the first few times out. It always takes me a few rounds of walking before I stop getting gassed before the end of my round. Get (or rent) a push cart.

I carried my bag most of last year, needless to say I'll be getting a push cart this year. Like hawk said, the first few rounds get a little tough towards the end. Other than that, some players prefer walking and they say it helps their game (I personally don't see any difference and prefer to take a cart, especially on hot summer days)

The course in question is fairly short and flat. There are certain courses I will never walk. My favorite course has almost a half mile of cart path between many holes.

Learn where to put your bag so you can get it on the way to the next tee. Nothing worse than seeing someone putt out and walk in the completely other direction to go back to their bag then walk back across the green to go to the next tee. I usually forget this the first couple times out.

From the iPhone.

I really prefer walking the course when possible, great exercise and you really get to know the course well. You see things about the course that you miss zipping around in a cart. I agree that a push cart is the way to go, but if you are going to carry your bag spend some time before your first round getting the shoulder straps adjusted correctly. Nothing worse than the lower back pain or even worse shoulders rubbed raw from them not being properly adjusted

Stay hydrated and have some snacks ready more than normal. I can't stress the hydration enough. Maybe it's the part of the country I live in lol.

I may take a bit of heat from some by saying this but here goes. Don't rush your shots. Not in the normal sense of rushing, but be aware that your heart rate will be different after walking 250+ yards after a tee shot. Give yourself time to relax it back down. I realize that you are young and this may not be noticeable to you, but it can and does effect your swing. My home course is somewhat hilly (its name is geneva hills) and it increases my HR very much. This can also very much affect putting.

Get comfy shoes. At the green, park your cart/bag between the green and the next tee box.

In all honesty aggro, if you plan on walking a lot, you might want to consider investing in some decent golf shoes. I know it's a topic you've mentioned before but you're going to want something that fits well, is light weight, and is comfortable.

Keep some water or fluids to stay hydrated in your bag, and make sure you never, ever place your golf bag on the green.

In all honesty aggro, if you plan on walking a lot, you might want to consider investing in some decent golf shoes. I know it's a topic you've mentioned before but you're going to want something that fits well, is light weight, and is comfortable.

Keep some water or fluids to stay hydrated in your bag, and make sure you never, ever place your golf bag on the green.

Yeah, the upgrade is inevitable, I think. I will try it out in my "everyday" shoe, but we will see.

Are you going to carry? If youre so used to riding I would recommend a pull cart.

Yeah, the upgrade is inevitable, I think. I will try it out in my "everyday" shoe, but we will see.

Dont give up too much support. The support is necessary.

Dude, you've got gold clubs that have been fit to you, you have a membership at a golf course, it's time for some golf shoes my man.

Are you going to carry? If youre so used to riding I would recommend a pull cart.

Yeah, I am going to carry. I don't wanna invest in a pull cart.

I suggest going through you bag and getting rid of all your extra crap. It can get heavy really quick. I would also only carry about 6 balls with you. If you lose more than that, just walk to the range and work on your game.

Dude, you've got gold clubs that have been fit to you, you have a membership at a golf course, it's time for some golf shoes my man.

LOL. I know. I want some Countours. My friend got some, and they are sweet, but I cannot bring my self to sink a paycheck into one item.

comfy shoes.....don't trip....and watch out for goose :poop:

I would also only carry about 6 balls with you. If you lose more than that, just walk to the range and work on your game.

LOL - that was a great comment!!

On a serious note, going from riding in a cart to carrying will be a big adjustment and you will feel it on the back 9. If possible, I would recommend the push cart until you are used to walking and then possibly consider carrying after that. I know you said you dont want to invest in one, but if you are not already in reasonable shape then you will get tired on the back 9 and it will affect your score.

Leaving your bag in a good place isn't just about where to set it on the greens (as mentioned- not where your ball is, but where you need to go after the green) but also the shortcuts where you can take a big chunk out of carrying the bag.

On my home course there are two holes that run in opposite directions of each other. The tee on the second is 70-80 yards further back than the green of the first. After I hit my approach shot I grab my putter (ok, usually my wedge and putter cause I missed the green) and my driver leaving my bag in the rough between the two holes. I finish up the first hole, walk to the next tee- hit my teeshot and then swing by and pick up my bag on the way back. No need to carry the bag the extra 150 yards.

If you pay attention to the course (and as your home course, you will know it REALLY well by the end of the season) there are a lot of places you can do things like this. I also agree with the people above, that you'll get to know the course a lot better by walking. Personally, I always seem to play better when I walk, and there was a study in one of the golfing magazines that found for scoring: push cart > walking > riding cart.

Invest in some dry-fit fabric underwear and moisture wicking socks. Under armour makes some good boxers & boxer briefs. I found some dri fit briefs online that I use for my marathon training. CHAFFING sucks and will kill your weekend (on and off the course)!

target sells some good C9 moisture wicking socks by champion for about $2 a pair.

I walk while carrying a few times a year, it's a nice change of pace. But I'm 27, in reasonable shape, and it still takes a toll on my shoulders by the time I get around hole 12.

Invest in some dry-fit fabric underwear and moisture wicking socks. Under armour makes some good boxers & boxer briefs. I found some dri fit briefs online that I use for my marathon training. CHAFFING sucks and will kill your weekend (on and off the course)!

target sells some good C9 moisture wicking socks by champion for about $2 a pair.
Great advice!! I throw and extra pair of socks in my bag and change them at the turn, keeps your feet happy

Get ready to be tired the first few times out. It always takes me a few rounds of walking before I stop getting gassed before the end of my round. Get (or rent) a push cart.

I agree with Hawk. I'm 49 and been walking forever. I carried my bag up until about 5 years ago when I bought my push cart. At your age you could carry, but knowing what I know now, I would have bought a push cart sooner. I do however play with a guy that was 80 last summer and still walks and carries. All depends on the back. First few times out makes the legs tired, but I come around quickly after the winter layoff. Walking is the only way to play if your able.

Back