2019 Grandaddy of em All Event with Callaway Golf

Today marks 7 weeks (7?!?! ) until we make our journey out west. I cannot believe how fast time has flown to this point, and with thanksgiving the week prior, it will be here before we know it.

past participants, what did you focus on at this point?

teammates, what are your plans?

I had an extremely productive 30 minute lesson last Wednesday, and my swing is feeling really repeatable and I know where my miss will be. As fall is rapidly reading its head, I probably won’t have a ton more rounds prior to the event. I plan on having two more lessons leading up to the event just focusing on a consistent, repeatable move, and I will be using the puttout trainer and mat indoors to keep the feel there.

cannot wait to bring THP along for the ride!!!

Today marks 7 weeks (7?!?! ) until we make our journey out west. I cannot believe how fast time has flown to this point, and with thanksgiving the week prior, it will be here before we know it.

I had an extremely productive 30 minute lesson last Wednesday, and my swing is feeling really repeatable and I know where my miss will be. As fall is rapidly reading its head, I probably won’t have a ton more rounds prior to the event. I plan on having two more lessons leading up to the event just focusing on a consistent, repeatable move, and I will be using the puttout trainer and mat indoors to keep the feel there.

cannot wait to bring THP along for the ride!!!

Going to just keep grooving my swing and working on short game. I don't have a place to putt that will be as fast as the Hideaway greens unless I use my hardwood floors.
Only playing once a week doesn't seem to be hurting to bad right now.

You have to remember that its team golf, so rarely are you just playing your own thing.
It's why I have stressed for a while for those that struggle with repeatability and their swing, should really be spending their time with that focus. Practicing putting, chipping, etc. That's fine, but the grass, greens, and bunkers are all going to be different than what you are used to. If you are a fairly low handicap, that should be your focus. If you are a high handicap, focus on the golf swing for TWO REASONS.

1. It will abandon you and nobody wants that. The idea of "look at all my pops" has resulted in a loss just about every time it has been a thing.
2. You have a chance to go through the fitting of a lifetime. Wouldn't you want your swing to be the best possible swing it can be?

Absolutely agreed. A repeatable golf swing and a consistent short game are my two areas of focus since getting selected in June. I’ve had a few lessons to make sure I wasn’t repeating a bad golf swing as well.

But genuine question JB, you’ve been to every grandaddy, and played the courses several times yourself. Where have you seen the matches and play turn in the zoocrew’s favor most often? Was it poor decision making? Just bad shots? Nerves? Or just the zoocrew being that good?

will most likely be joining the indoor practice facility for November and will try to get some swings in a lunch as many days as time allows

Yeah, sitting back and relying on a what-if doesn't sound like a good game plan to me. One doesn't have to be aggressive to play good golf, but assuming that pops are going to carry you, is a recipe for a big ol "L".

But more importantly than any sort of the competition, the fitting and equipment. You have a chance at a full bag of pre-release gear, fit by the same people that do the tour pros. If that isn't motivation to groove a swing, someone should take up bowling.

But more importantly than any sort of the competition, the fitting and equipment. You have a chance at a full bag of pre-release gear, fit by the same people that do the tour pros. If that isn't motivation to groove a swing, someone should take up bowling.
Oh man I can’t wait to see how the new ****** ****** and ****** ***** work for me and others !

Much like yourself, my putting mat will be worn out between now and December 2nd. But I’ll also be swinging a golf club at least once a day, even if it’s just in my living room or backyard.

And then of course, I’ll try to play as many rounds as possible in October and November.

At this point my season was winding down so it was spent playing as much as I could. My only real focus was hitting the ball straight to keep out of trouble and a lot of putting practice.

Honestly though I put zero pressure on myself leading up to it. I wanted to enjoy the whole experience, not put pressure on myself to play well. What good would it be to experience the golf trip of a lifetime if I was going to stress myself out about my game and then get upset if I didn't play well? I truly believe having that mindset leading up to it was a huge benefit to me and I played well partly because of it.

At this point my season was winding down so it was spent playing as much as I could. My only real focus was hitting the ball straight to keep out of trouble and a lot of putting practice.

Honestly though I put zero pressure on myself leading up to it. I wanted to enjoy the whole experience, not put pressure on myself to play well. What good would it be to experience the golf trip of a lifetime if I was going to stress myself out about my game and then get upset if I didn't play well? I truly believe having that mindset leading up to it was a huge benefit to me and I played well partly because of it.
This is some awesome insight here, Kev.

I think I am at the point where I have done what I can to get my swing as good as I can for fitting purposes. The grinding (if there really ever was grinding) is over. With my season over, there is only so much I can do in the coming weeks that would impact my performance. Just packing up and bringing the game I have :)

I guess the one thing I will do is putting practice. I have about an 8 foot strip of carpet to work with.

looks like my lofty plans to join somewhere for excellent practice and on-course testing just fell through. instead, i'll be testing the finish of the faces when hitting scuffed or cut floater range balls, and hitting off tree roots. gotta give the people what they want.

looks like my lofty plans to join somewhere for excellent practice and on-course testing just fell through. instead, i'll be testing the finish of the faces when hitting scuffed or cut floater range balls, and hitting off tree roots. gotta give the people what they want.
Where were you looking?

Where were you looking?

bella collina. they're running an enticing deal right now, but one of my cost justifications was taking my kid. right now we play the muni by my house which is super convenient but not my favorite by a long shot. and it costs us a decent bit relative to the quality. but i found out this place wants to charge me around $100 every time i bring him with me, so they can go pound sand. they a family membership, for almost double the cost. it's nice, actually really nice, but it's still semi private so get over yourselves.

bella collina. they're running an enticing deal right now, but one of my cost justifications was taking my kid. right now we play the muni by my house which is super convenient but not my favorite by a long shot. and it costs us a decent bit relative to the quality. but i found out this place wants to charge me around $100 every time i bring him with me, so they can go pound sand. they a family membership, for almost double the cost. it's nice, actually really nice, but it's still semi private so get over yourselves.
I liked that course when I played it, and that seems like a stupid extra cost. Are there still only about 6 houses in there?

I liked that course when I played it, and that seems like a stupid extra cost. Are there still only about 6 houses in there?

doubled production. up to like 12 now lol. i honestly don't know, but it is more than there used to be.

Short game was my focus, did a lot of putter in my basement and just worked on keeping my touch for the greens. When I found opportunities I went to the range for a small bucket but kept the focus on my wedges to keep the feeling of 1/4 to 3/4 shots in my mind.

Just keeping it all together. I actually had a couple lessons to tweak my swing (no major change, just small adjustment) and it was the best thing I could have done. Practiced doing 100 swings a day, even if I couldn’t hit balls. Worked on short game practice (chipping, putting) every lunch break, and kept my fitness up (running a few miles every other day). Also, posting to the forum as much as I could. Going back, that is the only thing I’d try to do more of. Interaction is key. Lots of eyes will be on you for the next few months, keep up the interaction.

@Misike makes a very good point. Something to work on besides your game is interaction on the forum, think about what you feel when you hit a club, or hit a ball. No one is expecting Pulitzer Prize winning reviews, but If you’ve never written a review for gear it can be a bit daunting.

practice taking and posting pictures quickly and easily. There’s a few picture threads that are great for that kind of stuff.

the daily recaps are great, and are something lots of people really enjoy (I know I enjoy them at least) but can be a bit tricky to write.

With all of that being said, don’t sweat any of that too terribly much, enjoy the trip and bring it back to the forum the best way you know how.

I’ve been working on my short game and putting the past week. I’ve also been fine tuning my swing to get it fresh and sharp. My biggest challenge is to maintain the swing strength through off season and with that I plan to work out and keep flexibility strong. As JB said, we are getting a fitting of a lifetime and the effort I put into maintaining my swing through off season will pay off just for the fitting. I’d hate to show up to the fitting stiff and weak.

then my plan is to just have fun playing at hideaway and just play my game. I’m not expecting perfection or have high expectations of myself. There’s gonna be bad shots and good shots and amazing shots.

@Misike makes a very good point. Something to work on besides your game is interaction on the forum, think about what you feel when you hit a club, or hit a ball. No one is expecting Pulitzer Prize winning reviews, but If you’ve never written a review for gear it can be a bit daunting.

practice taking and posting pictures quickly and easily. There’s a few picture threads that are great for that kind of stuff.

the daily recaps are great, and are something lots of people really enjoy (I know I enjoy them at least) but can be a bit tricky to write.

With all of that being said, don’t sweat any of that too terribly much, enjoy the trip and bring it back to the forum the best way you know how.
Preach! For me, I had never really posted and played and I did my contest before the event and let me tell you, it can be hard and intimidating, but the key to posting while playing at an event like this is to take turns driving and posting and it will go smooth! Just have a blast!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yeah that current special is pretty crazy, but yeah they want some stupid things done. And let's be honest, I would have said you were my brother and used the heck out of the facilities on your expense. Also, they're semi private?

@Greg Kulbick I'd say last time I was there, there were maybe 20-25 houses now on property

I’m a little behind on my prep and posting lately. Tax extension deadline ends tomorrow. After that I’ll get my own prep three up and running. Will also go back through some old love threads and make some notes on do’s and don’ts. My goes for the next 7 weeks will be to take the forum along with me for every emotion, anticipation, prep and anxieties. My golf goal will be to work on my chipping and pitching. I have a tendency to have...let’s say...inconsistent contact in those shots.

I'm going to continue to work on having that consistency in my swing. Days when I can't make it to the course / range, I plan to just take a club out to the back yard and concentrate on what are my arms doing, where's the weight shift, are my hips rotating, etc.

Ok be honest....who's been practicing their dance moves for The Nest? :banana:

Ok be honest....who's been practicing their dance moves for The Nest? :banana:

i like to get low. like REAL low. like so low, my head will clear the top of the uber when i'm noping the f- out of that den of iniquity.

Back