2019 Grandaddy of em All Event with Callaway Golf

Still trying to get there. Been a long day of travel with a ton of issues. We are on site next three days.

hoping we get some insider info on what may or may not be coming down the pipeline!

Still trying to get there. Been a long day of travel with a ton of issues. We are on site next three days.

Berkshire Brewing is out that way and their Holidale has been released i think. Might fit the bill after a stressful trip.

Hope you make it soon! Can’t wait to see the deets and content that may come from Chicopee!

wait are you telling me your entire year isn't based around building and prepping for the Grandaddy?

huh.

Well, he’s clearly there to follow-up on the top secret Grandaddy ball. It’s far too valuable to ship cross country so he’s there to pick it up personally.

My grandaddy prep has been going quite well and yesterdays round was the first time EVER that I have not had a single swing thought the whole round. I have been working on consistency with the full swing and yesterday I hit only one shot that did not go at least 90 percent of the desired distance. That was a hybrid from under a tree but it turned out great in the middle of the fairway.

I chipped and pitched yesterday with fantastic results. I practice those shots constantly during the week but at the course I tend to hit a few of those shots fat. My putting is the weakest part of my game right now so that will be the focus of my practice leading up to the event.

I am completely at peace where my game is right now. I have put in the hard work and the results are there. I will show up in California with my confidence at an all time high and if the putter fitting helps me find the hole the Zoo Crew is in trouble. Our captain and his assistant have preached to us that the golf and competition are secondary to the fun and experience but make no mistake Zoo Crew, We are coming to kick your ass and bring the belt home with us.

My grandaddy prep has been going quite well and yesterdays round was the first time EVER that I have not had a single swing thought the whole round. I have been working on consistency with the full swing and yesterday I hit only one shot that did not go at least 90 percent of the desired distance. That was a hybrid from under a tree but it turned out great in the middle of the fairway.

I chipped and pitched yesterday with fantastic results. I practice those shots constantly during the week but at the course I tend to hit a few of those shots fat. My putting is the weakest part of my game right now so that will be the focus of my practice leading up to the event.

I am completely at peace where my game is right now. I have put in the hard work and the results are there. I will show up in California with my confidence at an all time high and if the putter fitting helps me find the hole the Zoo Crew is in trouble. Our captain and his assistant have preached to us that the golf and competition are secondary to the fun and experience but make no mistake Zoo Crew, We are coming to kick your ass and bring the belt home with us.
That is awesome. I am so happy to hear that things are falling into place for you dude!

How is the rest of Team THP's prep work going? I feel like the swing will be alright myself. A little worried about my wedge play as I have no means of practicing that meaningfully and it was a point of concern last season.

But, I feel like I am ready to move into the stomach stretching portion of my prep. Make sure I can hit up every comfort station and power through.

How is the rest of Team THP's prep work going? I feel like the swing will be alright myself. A little worried about my wedge play as I have no means of practicing that meaningfully and it was a point of concern last season.

But, I feel like I am ready to move into the stomach stretching portion of my prep. Make sure I can hit up every comfort station and power through.

i'm going to put in work at the range. i want the move to feel more automatic, so i'm not having to rehearse it and waste a bunch of time. one practice swing, and go.

then i'm going to keep plugging away around the short game area. i've been pretty open about my struggles, and despite lessons and increased practice time, i swear somehow it's worse than it's ever been. i'll have these little mini breakthroughs and get excited, only to completely "lose" the feel and go back to the same awful results. @MWard offered to get together and put some eyes on it for me, so hopefully we can find a time to do that.

putting i feel pretty good about. i'm not making everything i look at, but i don't feel like it's a liability.

ideally, i'd like to play a couple times a week to just get some more meaningful rounds in, but with work and life i don't know how feasible that really is. i think the best thing i can do is accept where i am, instead of trying to press for something that isn't feasible in 3 weeks.

what's funny is that i really don't care if my game is crap for the competition. obviously i want to win, but i can still have fun while getting stomped. i just want my swing and game to be in the best possible spot for the fitting. i can always play golf. maybe not at the hideaway, but still at nice places. but i'll never again get the opportunity to work with this caliber of fitters, and i don't want to squander it.

Last edited:
what's funny is that i really don't care if my game is crap for the competition. obviously i want to win, but i can still have fun while getting stomped. i just want my swing and game to be in the best possible spot for the fitting. i can always play golf. maybe not at the hideaway, but still at nice places. but i'll never again get the opportunity to work with this caliber of fitters, and i don't want to squander it.

That's kind of where I am dude. I want my swing to be repeatable as possible for the fitting. On the flip side, I don't have access to this caliber of course here in MN. I have a feeling I will be spoiled after this and will have to make a point to do some more traveling across the state for some of the nicer courses available to me here.

i'm going to put in work at the range. i want the move to feel more automatic, so i'm not having to rehearse it and waste a bunch of time. one practice swing, and go.

then i'm going to keep plugging away around the short game area. i've been pretty open about my struggles, and despite lessons and increased practice time, i swear somehow it's worse than it's ever been. i'll have these little mini breakthroughs and get excited, only to completely "lose" the feel and go back to the same awful results. @MWard offered to get together and put some eyes on it for me, so hopefully we can find a time to do that.

putting i feel pretty good about. i'm not making everything i look at, but i don't feel like it's a liability.

ideally, i'd like to play a couple times a week to just get some more meaningful rounds in, but with work and life i don't know how feasible that really is. i think the best thing i can do is accept where i am, instead of trying to press for something that isn't feasible in 3 weeks.

Maybe you’re thinking too much opposed to just thinking how you’re gonna get the ball in a spot you can make a putt? I gotta tell you, I’m not thinking about a darn thing when I’m scrambling well. Too much technique thought and you just stiffen up and there’s no flow to it.

Maybe you’re thinking too much opposed to just thinking how you’re gonna get the ball in a spot you can make a putt? I gotta tell you, I’m not thinking about a darn thing when I’m scrambling well. Too much technique thought and you just stiffen up and there’s no flow to it.
There is a lot of truth in this. Start pressing usually makes my game go even further off the rails.

Best thing to do is stay relaxed as possible. That keeps you loose, and playing well. I'll just give @McLovin a good rap on the back of his head and he will be fine.

1000000% agree. When you can manage to get out of your own way and just swing it's a beautiful thing. It's the reason so many times the "second shot" after a bad shot is the best one. All the pressure (perceived or real) is off and you are just swinging the club.

Free the mind of the clutter and have fun!

Good point here. I just dusted off my copy off Zen Golf and I realized I had been thinking way too much about technique while I was on the tee box with driver. After I stopped that and just let my swing go I have had 3 of the best driving rounds of the year.

I'm feeling pretty darn good about my prep. I get some swing drills in every night. I have two lessons booked each week and time booked on GG's TrackMan.

My only concern is the week beforehand. I'm heading back to my hometown for Thanksgiving, where they do not have simulators or indoor ranges. I hope my family doesn't mind me taking cuts in the living room or bringing an impact bag and swing-plane noodle along, haha.

i wish i knew, man. i really wish i knew.

It's all mental dude. I'm of the opinion that swing prep has very little corelation to swinging well once in Cali.
I was playing some of the best golf of my life heading into the Grandaddy last year, and 6 swings into my fitting I fell apart. I think we had just enough numbers to make some good equipment choices but I was sure dissappointed that after a year to get ready I ended up at my own lowest common denominator - suckage. I think I was just completely unprepared for the level of raw excitement that was coursing through my veins.

It's all mental dude. I'm of the opinion that swing prep has very little corelation to swinging well once in Cali.
I was playing some of the best golf of my life heading into the Grandaddy last year, and 6 swings into my fitting I fell apart. I think we had just enough numbers to make some good equipment choices but I was sure dissappointed that after a year to get ready I ended up at my own lowest common denominator - suckage. I think I was just completely unprepared for the level of raw excitement that was coursing through my veins.

I think this definitely has a lot to do with the golfer going in too. You are/were an accomplished single digit handicap. Taking a higher handicap and I think it is important to work on the swing if they want the most out of their fitting, time and golf.

It's hard to comprehend exactly what kind of mental state I am going to be in. I can for sure count on nerves and probably some sweaty palms as the fitting or round begin. How I respond after that is anyone's guess, lol.

Back