Have you ever broken a window or hit a car, house etc. What did you do?

I shanked a ball into the side of my work truck and put a big dent in the side of it when I was practicing pitching in my backyard. Does that count?
It counts

I shanked a half-PW through a window of my grandparents' back porch in my youth, hitting from the yard between our houses to their back yard. I regretfully didn't have the guts to go look for it or fess up to it.

Years ago I struck a tee shot on the 2nd hole that went along the road. I sliced it out into traffic....BAM! I hit and shattered a car window. When I went over to the car there was a fellow driving his elderly mom to her doctors and ashe was quite shaken. I apologized....then proceeded to make a par on the ball that had bounced back into the fairway of the short par 4!

Thankfully I haven't broken anything before but I have to have come close. There was one last year where I sliced the living heck out of the ball and landed somewhere by a parking lot. I listened close for glass and didn't hear any thankfully. That was a horrible feeling!

Not me personally, but my future son in law hit a 6' X 10' window and cracked it. His ball hit a corner of the window.

We drove up to house and the owner was already outside looking at the damage.

My sil owned up to breaking the window, and offered to pay for it.

As you might well guess a window glass that big, is also pretty thick. The owner told us it was a $3000.00 piece of glass.

As it turned out all the owner wanted was the deductible, since his home owner's insurance would pay for the bulk of it. I think it was $250.00 iirc.

I was impressed with how the young man handled his responsibily. This also made me happy he was dating my daughter.

A week or so later, the home owner called me. He wanted the youngster to come and pick up the money he had paid. Apparently the window was guaranteed by the glass company against damage by a golf ball. They replaced it for free.

nope. came close a few weeks back...hit a roof :rolleyes:...thank god.

He immediately got in his cart to go "talk to the pro shop" but it turns out he actually just left the course.
Not sure why, but this really cracked me up. Way to own up to a mistake. At least he didn't blame you and your friend on the way out.

I sliced one deep into a neighborhood once. At least 2-3 rows of houses in. Didn't hear any loud impact and had no idea where it ended up. I don't understand why they build courses right up against houses like that or who would ever buy a house on a course. It seems like pretty big risk.

I get scared on our local exec as well since it's right up against hiking trails. The trail runs adjacent to the back 9 fairways and there are a ton of joggers with head phones in and no tall fences. I slice a lot and have to be careful there.

First time I played a Captain’s Choice I dropped a tee shot on a roof. There was no damage so we didn’t stop. If there would have been then yeah I would have definitely stopped.

I did see an unnamed guy on an ocean side course at an unnamed location hit a tee shot that struck an oceanfront house dead between 2 windows. Fortunately somehow the ball found the no more then 2 foot in between the windows for no damage. Pretty sure some guy with the initials @JB wasn’t around that particular hole at that time either.

Same course, same day, another unnamed guy might have hit a line drive into the windshield of the beverage cart as it was coming around the corner.

I mean these are just things that may or may not have happened;)

Only ever hit one car. 1995 probably. My parent's farm.
I would go out and just hit balls round the yard. Back and forth, really paying no attention to obstacles that I shouldn't have been hitting balls around.
I shanked a wedge, and pasted the side of my mother's Geo Tracker.
Nice golfball sized dent in the side of the car. Ended up missing the rear window by about 6 inches.
Probably would have killed me had I broken the window lol.

Never hit one at the course, or at the range. Have been parked beside a friend that after the round came out to find his windshield smashed from a golf ball though.

Years ago I struck a tee shot on the 2nd hole that went along the road. I sliced it out into traffic....BAM! I hit and shattered a car window. When I went over to the car there was a fellow driving his elderly mom to her doctors and ashe was quite shaken. I apologized....then proceeded to make a par on the ball that had bounced back into the fairway of the short par 4!
That has to be one of your most memorable pars ever!

Not me personally, but my future son in law hit a 6' X 10' window and cracked it. His ball hit a corner of the window.

We drove up to house and the owner was already outside looking at the damage.

My sil owned up to breaking the window, and offered to pay for it.

As you might well guess a window glass that big, is also pretty thick. The owner told us it was a $3000.00 piece of glass.

As it turned out all the owner wanted was the deductible, since his home owner's insurance would pay for the bulk of it. I think it was $250.00 iirc.

I was impressed with how the young man handled his responsibily. This also made me happy he was dating my daughter.

A week or so later, the home owner called me. He wanted the youngster to come and pick up the money he had paid. Apparently the window was guaranteed by the glass company against damage by a golf ball. They replaced it for free.
Nice of the owner to be honest there as well. He could have kept that and you would never have known.

I want to comment and laugh about some of you being dangerous/destructive, but I feel like if I do I'll jinx myself into losing one off the tee and taking out a car, or window, or pedestrian or something. So, this is me not commenting. Universe please take notice.

Sidenote - I got hit in the arm once while driving by a golf course. True story.

I hooked one on a short par 4 straight at lower level of a huge house last year. Hit the 12' tall walkout glass doors and feared the worst. The owner came out when I pulled up along his fence and I of course apologized and asked him to look everything over for damage. He said he gets hit often but the glass is designed to not shatter. Whew!

Pay for It.

Left a Note on the Door with my Telephone number :drinks:

I’ve hit 2 moving vehicles. One was a junker going the opposite way and I hit it in the trunk. He didn’t miss a beat and kept rolling. The other one was coming my way and I hit a drive and it it hit a telephone wire and dropped right on top of his roof. He pulled over and I went and talked with him. He was cool and no damage was found.

I came very close to hitting a moving car once. Road along hole. Big push slice that floated in the air. Car was coming toward me. I watched as the ball and car converged. It felt like time slowed down. Missed the car by a foot or two, so close. That was OB. Next one was a drama queen hook. No way was another ball going over there.?

Playing golf in the back garden at my grand parents house many many years ago, Me being the junior equivalent of Seve Ballesteros in my own mind thought I could chip it on to the grass 3 feet from the house and definitely not hit the pathway instead.. did just that, bounced off the path and into one of the windows of the house.

Their house was quite old and my uncle had some spare glass so all was fixed and forgiven in no time but I learned my lesson about hitting golf balls toward the house.. Cricket balls however.... :ROFLMAO:

Never broken a window but I nailed the back quarter panel of a pickup that was driving by. I was walking and when I got to where I hit the truck he was long gone. I think it was a work truck and either 1. He thought he ran over something or 2. It was a work truck and he couldn’t care less about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was a bathroom up by the green of a par 3 about 130 yard hole I think. Skull the ball and it goes right through the window. Fortunately its one of those slat windows and I only knocked out one slat. Told the proshop when I got in and they said not to worry about it, happens all the time and they were plastic so usually didn't even break.

On the other hand my brother was parked at a course and had his back window broken by an errant shot and no one fessed up to it so all out of pocket for him.

I knocked the downspout off a gutter. The guy was in his back yard, said it happens all time, tossed me the ball and said he'd take care of it... a good day on the course ?

Not sure why, but this really cracked me up. Way to own up to a mistake. At least he didn't blame you and your friend on the way out.

It really cracked me up when it happened haha. I mentioned it to the Pro Shop on the way out, but doubtful they did anything about it.

I jinxed myself about not hitting right towards the houses on the previously mentioned hole where my dad busted a window. I was pulling up home and my friend was out playing. He had played holes 1, 5-9 and skipped 2-4 as there were high school kids playing. I changed real quick and grabbed my push cart and went to walk those last 3 with him as he was even par. He pars the par 3 2nd, gets lucky that his pulled drive on the par 5 3rd barely clears the water and makes par. He hooks one and 4 left into some trees. I proceed to hit a huge push slice right. I went over the houses and luckily didn't hear a car or windshield but they were in danger. I don't hit another as it's getting dark and we head to find his ball. He proceeds to hit a 5 iron between a tight gap to just short of the green and chips up to 6 inches to finish his best 9 ever at even with 9 pars. It went from potential disaster for both of us to him being super pumped up.

Back