EXPERIENCE The 2020 Morgan Cup Sponsored By Cobra PUMA Golf: Want To Be A Tour Player

This is the answer right here. OL is all about simplifying the game, reducing variables, making things easier. Cobra has put in so much R&D, they've been continuously improving it, the tech is there. The biggest change with OL is the mental side. The best results tend to be with the people who truly commit to it, so I encourage people to go full set and dive in. And in this unique situation, I think going OL wedges is good too, although that's a more touchy subject.

I'm gonna write up a response to @MarMill8412 in a bit too, which might be useful on this too
So you like OL wedges too??? I hear you but i'm not sure i'm there yet!

So you like OL wedges too??? I hear you but i'm not sure i'm there yet!
Love them. When I'm in season, it's the best part of my game besides putting. Personally, I have so much natural feel and comfort with them, because they feel just like every other club I have. Everyone is different, so I understand people who don't do it or like it. For me, wedge/shorter clubs went from the worst part of my game to the best.

I don't have trouble hitting longer irons in the bag. I can see where having a singular set up and (shorter) long irons can help with that, but if one doesn't have too much issue with this what other benefits do you see with OL?
That's a great question. Before going to OL, my struggles were actually with shorter clubs and not longer ones, so hopefully my experience is useful to you.
  • Wedges went from the worst part to the best part of my game
  • Practice time is more efficient, fewer iron swings necessary, can mentally switch clubs quicker
  • Swing changes/improvements are quicker to take hold, and do propagate through to woods and even partial swings/creativity with wedges
  • I never lose confidence in any individual club, fewer things to contemplate when I have swing issues, typically easier diagnosing problems
  • Conversely, I am more confident in all my irons, and actually more confident overall
  • I know people with back issues see some improvement (longer wedges), although I have no experience to add of my own
  • Personally, I think having the same setup allows for easier adaption to uneven lies, although that's probably personal too
  • People are less interested in borrowing my clubs lol
I'm struggling to think of others, despite having done this plenty of times before. But I'll try to come back with them as I think of them. It really just boils down to a lot of mental, a lot around fostering my own growth and improvement as a golfer.

That's a great question. Before going to OL, my struggles were actually with shorter clubs and not longer ones, so hopefully my experience is useful to you.
  • Practice time is more efficient, fewer iron swings necessary, can mentally switch clubs quicker
  • Swing changes/improvements are quicker to take hold, and do propagate through to woods and even partial swings/creativity with wedges
  • I never lose confidence in any individual club, fewer things to contemplate when I have swing issues, typically easier diagnosing problems
  • Conversely, I am more confident in all my irons, and actually more confident overall
  • I know people with back issues see some improvement (longer wedges), although I have no experience to add of my own
  • Personally, I think having the same setup allows for easier adaption to uneven lies, although that's probably personal too
I'm struggling to think of others, despite having done this plenty of times before. But I'll try to come back with them as I think of them. It really just boils down to a lot of mental, a lot around fostering my own growth and improvement as a golfer.
Good stuff. Question for you, how much has your game improved since the MC last year?

The OL topic has me thinking. The biggest draw back for me would be the length of the wedges around the green. Everything makes a lot of sense for someone that wants to take out as many variables as possible.

My brainstorming thought of extending the grip down the shaft much like the armlock putters. Being able to choke down on the wedges would help some people.

Thoughts?

Thanks for taking the time to give such a detailed response. Although I’m not going OL, I am interested in how the OL works out for those who choose that option.

Good stuff. Question for you, how much has your game improved since the MC last year?
In the 3 months immediately following MC, my cap dropped another 4 points. Then I ran into wrist issues that basically cost me the rest of the year (only 3 rounds July-December). I did fire my best ever round in September though, with basically one range session under my belt lol, which I'd like to think is helped by having fewer things to remember in my swing.

In the 3 months immediately following MC, my cap dropped another 4 points. Then I ran into wrist issues that basically cost me the rest of the year (only 3 rounds July-December). I did fire my best ever round in September though, with basically one range session under my belt lol, which I'd like to think is helped by having fewer things to remember in my swing.
That’s pretty impressive, curious to see how much better you can get this year.

The OL topic has me thinking. The biggest draw back for me would be the length of the wedges around the green. Everything makes a lot of sense for someone that wants to take out as many variables as possible.

My brainstorming thought of extending the grip down the shaft much like the armlock putters. Being able to choke down on the wedges would help some people.

Thoughts?
I will choke down around the greens, but I still prefer the feel of doing that than just having a VL wedge. Grips are plenty long enough though to avoid needing more. Wedges around the green is probably the thing most frequently causing hesitation on wedges, I'd say it's totally personal. If you're great with wedges, don't change. If not, well, maybe a change could help. That's my thinking

Thoughts?
Keep in mind, the difference between my MD5 wedge and the Cobra 7 iron length is only 2 inches. I haven’t decided on going OL, but don’t think it will be necessary to extend the grip if I decide to choke down around the green.

Gotta be honest, I thought I was a huge proponent of the OL concept, but man @phoffer in here putting me to shame.

Very happy to hear of your successes and wish you continued success into 2020.

Gotta be honest, I thought I was a huge proponent of the OL concept, but man @phoffer in here putting me to shame.

Nice to see people giving positive feedback about OL.

If I do go OL, I worry that someone on the forum that rhymes with “tcougher” might push me for a name change to “OLmagic”

Thanks for the response. All this sounds very interesting. The only draw back to me for going OL is you really lock yourself into Cobra (May not be a bad thing) vs looking at other options from time to time if you stay with OL.

All this OL talk has me very curious, but it seems like a big commitment to make the switch. I wish I could just demo a PW or SW and 5i for a month and see how I adapt.

All this OL talk has me very curious, but it seems like a big commitment to make the switch. I wish I could just demo a PW or SW and 5i for a month and see how I adapt.

What commitment? Can you hit a 7 iron?
someone Skipped the OL podcast.

What commitment? Can you hit a 7 iron?
someone Skipped the OL podcast.
HAHA- no way JB, I didn't skip. Seeing is believing though. I just can't picture a lot of loft sitting at 7i length and being comfortable with it. I need to experience this.

HAHA- no way JB, I didn't skip. Seeing is believing though. I just can't picture a lot of loft sitting at 7i length and being comfortable with it. I need to experience this.

You crazy golfers and your mental side of looks and such hahahahah

You crazy golfers and your mental side of looks and such hahahahah
I think the mental side is what kills us internet golfers more than anything else. Geez, I envy DJ sometimes. Maybe all the time :confused:

I went and looked at some OL irons. I didn't hit any, but at address nothing looked really out of the norm for me. I agree with you, before I was hesitant because I needed to see it. I saw it, and now I'm less hesitant to try it out.

I went and looked at some OL irons. I didn't hit any, but at address nothing looked really out of the norm for me. I agree with you, before I was hesitant because I needed to see it. I saw it, and now I'm less hesitant to try it out.
I want to take the lofted irons to the range and see ball flight etc. I would trust the launch monitor on the 5i.

Back