Bad... bad... Shame on you Poults and Gmac !!!

I'm not sure how I feel about this to be honest. I can respect and appreciate tradition, but I'm also a realist.

I'm right with ya on this one TC, its an old school kind of place.....but its 2011........

Lol, after seeing ians posts on twitter this doesnr surprise me!

This is the type of thing that has the US Open as my fav major. The 2 seem to be on opposite wave lengths. Masters is strict with TV and who can play. US Open is on TV all day and open to qualifiers. Masters is always at Augusta, US Open travels around (laughable to some, but the rotation is including more courses / types of courses).

I could see them having issue with pics / vids of inside the clubhouse, but I have no idea why they'd be mad about pics of holes. I know they can run their club anyway they choose, but this isnt helping grow the game to a younger audience.

+1 its sooooo dumb augusta is living in the past they would bring back segregation if they could.

Ultimately, it comes down to what Augusta National can control (images on TV, website, etc) and what they cannot control (and, and more importantly, make $$ from).

As stated previously, if they are serious about growing the game of golf, they will have to change their views on this.

We should have a separate thread with an over/under on Fowler's duds next week....don't think we will see the bright orange next week, he will be an Augusta :angel:

Augusta needs to loosen up.

Rickie Fowler tweeted pics as well.

Upon hearing this, I am still shocked that they let EA sports use their course in the new TW game.

TC, I'm very shocked about Augusta on the TW game as well! I do understand their traditions, but really? This is 2011.. not 1910. If cell phones or cameras were used during public practice rounds or official rounds, I would say I totally understand. I can respect the traditions and views, but some of this is over the top in today's society.

And really, still do not let women become members.. that is PATHETIC! No other words to describe it.

TC, I'm very shocked about Augusta on the TW game as well! I do understand their traditions, but really? This is 2011.. not 1910. If cell phones or cameras were used during public practice rounds or official rounds, I would say I totally understand. I can respect the traditions and views, but some of this is over the top in today's society.

And really, still do not let women become members.. that is PATHETIC! No other words to describe it.

It's simple, maintaining women's tees cost too much money! It's the economy man.

As much as I think it sucks, if it IS written somewhere then I can understand a little. But this insider look could help garner more fans! I myself still like Augusta and the Masters is my fav major but there should be some ease of tradition. SOME not a lot not, just a little. I'd love to get an insider's look at the place and they barely gave up that much. Especially considering I'll likely never be able to visit there.

Augusta National is still living in the early 1900's. Times have changed. Maybe they should yell at Rickie Fowler and his caddy as well. They tweeted pics of a couple holes.

You don't see St. Andrews doing this sort of thing.

St. Andrews is open to the public - It's a town park. Another case of comparing apples to oranges.

This is the type of thing that has the US Open as my fav major. The 2 seem to be on opposite wave lengths. Masters is strict with TV and who can play. US Open is on TV all day and open to qualifiers. Masters is always at Augusta, US Open travels around (laughable to some, but the rotation is including more courses / types of courses).

I could see them having issue with pics / vids of inside the clubhouse, but I have no idea why they'd be mad about pics of holes. I know they can run their club anyway they choose, but this isnt helping grow the game to a younger audience.

Note the difference in the names of the tournaments. US Open means just that. It's open to anyone who can meet the qualifications. The Masters has always been by invitation only. Just because there is a standing invitation for certain qualifications, it is still an invitation. If you don't meet the criteria, you don't get invited. There is no qualifier for the Masters. That invitation can be rescinded if they don't feel that you are meeting the standards they require. There are lots of private clubs which restrict or prohibit cell phone use.

It doesn't really matter that you have an issue with it always being held at Augusta. That's where it is supposed to be held - where it's always been and always should be held. It's a private tournament held at a private golf club. The moment you try to move it elsewhere it's no longer The Masters, because the name is synonymous with Augusta National.

And why should they be at all responsible for growing the game? They stage a tournament to honor and uphold the tradition of Robert Tyre Jones. As far as I know that's all they do.

Last edited:
It's one of the reason the Master's is my least favorite major. The aura of eliteism, their arrogance, etc., leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Not to mention Jim Nantz and his almost reverential treatment of the place. It's a golf course, not the Sistine Chapel.

It is a private club, and they have the right to do whatever they want. Who are we to judge what rules they have? Last I knew, they still don't let female golfers play the course.

They will change their rules (any of them) when they stop making millions of dollars.

I think Paige Mckensie tweeted that she was playing Augusta with some other LPGA ladies. This was a few months ago, if I remember correctly.

I don't hate Augusta for not letting women become members. If they want their boys club, it's fine with me. I think its kind of childish, in a way, but whatever. The no cel phones use anywhere on the property is pretty antiquated. I understand not talking on the phone in the clubhouse, but not using the camera?

I would still play there if I was invited, which will never happen.

Augusta National is still living in the early 1900's. Times have changed. Maybe they should yell at Rickie Fowler and his caddy as well. They tweeted pics of a couple holes.

You don't see St. Andrews doing this sort of thing.

Maybe because St Andrews doesn't have a clubhouse? Lol.

The R&A is the same as Augusta. They have benches outside the clubhouse that only members can sit on. Hah

Tapalatalking from work.

St. Andrews is open to the public - It's a town park. Another case of comparing apples to oranges.

Note the difference in the names of the tournaments. US Open means just that. It's open to anyone who can meet the qualifications. The Masters has always been by invitation only. Just because there is a standing invitation for certain qualifications, it is still an invitation. If you don't meet the criteria, you don't get invited. There is no qualifier for the Masters. That invitation can be rescinded if they don't feel that you are meeting the standards they require. There are lots of private clubs which restrict or prohibit cell phone use.

It doesn't really matter that you have an issue with it always being held at Augusta. That's where it is supposed to be held - where it's always been and always should be held. It's a private tournament held at a private golf club. The moment you try to move it elsewhere it's no longer The Masters, because the name is synonymous with Augusta National.

And why should they be at all responsible for growing the game? They stage a tournament to honor and uphold the tradition of Robert Tyre Jones. As far as I know that's all they do.

Good post.

I'm with Fourputt. That's what makes The Masters what it is. It's their house and and their event. They run it how they want to run it. Personally I'm sick of smart phones and all that crap. Every idiot in the world taking pictures and video no matter the circumstances. If Gmac and that woman Poulter don't like it, they don't have to play there.

Poulter needs a punch in the face. He has no respect for anything, including the the fans and the rules.

Kevin

Last edited:
I'm with Fourputt. That's what makes The Masters what it is. It's they're house and and their event. They run it how they want to run it. Personally I'm sick of smart phones and all that crap. Every idiot in the world taking pictures and video no matter the circumstances. If Gmac and that woman Poulter don't like it, they don't have to play there.

Poulter needs a punch in the face. He has no respect for anything, including the the fans and the rules.

Kevin

I agree with many of your points here, but the most important one is the Masters is their Tourney at their club and they can do whatever they want. If they want a rule that there are no phones, or nobody can wear a shirt that has a vowel, then thats the way it is.

Yeah rules are rules... it is Augusta after all. I'm sure all the folks here that say "To hell with Augusta!" would jump at a chance to play that place. Although it is a new millenia and running water and electricity are pretty prevalent nowadays. Maybe a compromise, pics of the grounds but clubhouse and course are off limits.

“Players are asked not to use their cell phones [anywhere] on the property.”

These guy's know the rules coming in and decided to test the limits. It may seem anal, antiquated and harsh, but looks like it works for Augusta. They are set up to handle just about everything, including all media, and want to keep that control. These guy's could easily skip the tournament if they disagreed with the rules, I wouldn't mind.

I think it is a dumb rule. But hey, that is part of being private. And if you want to make asinine rules, then so be it. I make all my house guests wear hot pink socks. They hate it, but like Augusta National, people will do anything to be a guest.

These guy's know the rules coming in and decided to test the limits. It may seem anal, antiquated and harsh, but looks like it works for Augusta. They are set up to handle just about everything, including all media, and want to keep that control. These guy's could easily skip the tournament if they disagreed with the rules, I wouldn't mind.

So, I wonder if it would have been any different if they were using a plain digital camera instead of a cell phone, since it seems that the phones are the issue.

===== QUOTE thedue ====

===== /QUOTE ====

So, I wonder if it would have been any different if they were using a plain digital camera instead of a cell phone, since it seems that the phones are the issue.

No idea and while I agree its pretty dumb sounding or antiquated I do kind of like how these guys at Augusta set the agenda rather than letting anyone push them in other directions.

To tell the truth I think its more about two loud mouths thinking their status could compel Augusta or make their rules look silly.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

No idea and while I agree its pretty dumb sounding or antiquated I do kind of like how these guys at Augusta set the agenda rather than letting anyone push them in other directions.

To tell the truth I think its more about two loud mouths thinking their status could compel Augusta or make their rules look silly.

Actually, I think if it had been just GMac, we probably never would have even heard about it. He has just never come across as the type to raise a stink over something like this, where as Poulter will jump on anything to tweak authority figures nose. I could be wrong, just my read of them.

===== QUOTE thedue ====

===== /QUOTE ====

Actually, I think if it had been just GMac, we probably never would have even heard about it. He has just never come across as the type to raise a stink over something like this, where as Poulter will jump on anything to tweak authority figures nose. I could be wrong, just my read of them.

That's a valid point. Bet its hard to tell I've fallen off the Poulter band wagon, lol

Back