Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your point about these discrepancies was made tonight on a prominent cable news show. It was noted that the death projections were in line with reality, but the hospitalized numbers were overestimated in all but 3 states.

I’m glad that some are starting to pick up on the fallacy of the model that is driving policy decisions.

This whole countermeasure was based on projected hospital capacity, couldn’t overwhelm the system.

Extensive report on treatments.

Thank you for sharing this. I work in the pharma industry, specifically managing investigational products for clinical trials, so this was great for me. Thanks!

One good thing that has come out of this shelter in place is that delivery from all the local stores(grocery, liquor, Costco, Target) is something my wife and I have become so adept at that we will likely not waste much time going to the store ever again. We also have figured out the prescription deliveries from CVS.

It will leave more time for golf or just relaxing at home with a beer waiting for groceries and other essentials to be delivered. I’ll gladly pay the $99 annual fee and tip the driver to not have to go to the store about 3 or 4 times a week. They even deliver to our cabin from the closest grocery store that is 8 miles away so there are some gas savings as well.

Here is like everywhere else. We’re screwed. In the meantime I am planning to play as much golf as I can in addition to other “safe” outdoor activities. Fingers crossed for playable courses starting next week. From what I have read, they will open with standard restrictions: no in person purchases, walking only, no rentals of any kind, eyc. I will be curious to see how they do holes and flags. As long as we don’t have idiots — sigh — we might have some kind of a season.

Reaching peak deaths on April 16th is both a somber yet encouraging sign (as crazy as that sounds). It shows the effectiveness of our current social distancing compliance... but it could be better.

Would you golf if wearing a mask is mandatory? I can well see that being added to the list of pre-requisites when things start opening up.

Would you golf if wearing a mask is mandatory? I can well see that being added to the list of pre-requisites when things start opening up.
I would golf if wearing a mask, a purple speedo, and bunny ears were all mandatory.

I would golf if wearing a mask, a purple speedo, and bunny ears were all mandatory.

You kinda had that outfit planned out and ready to go based on response speed. Is there some weird club down in your area that does this and now you're just tryin to combine it and golf?

You kinda had that outfit planned out and ready to go based on response speed. Is there some weird club down in your area that does this and now you're just tryin to combine it and golf?
You got me. I’m trying to start the “Furries Fore Golf” club.

Back in Clearwater, today has given me all day to clean, reorganize and get my office setup.

Finding some fun stuff.

I didn't know there was a Course in the South Beach area, must have missed that. Hope you are doing OK down there, maybe sometime later on we can get a group out to Hammock Beach or I will come down there and we can get @Xman and @Canes out to Doral or ??

They are only recommending a mask for times when you are going to be closer than 6 feet to strangers. That would not apply for my golf and my buddy that would most likely to be in my twosome is already recovered from Covid 19 so I’m not at all worried about giving the virus to him. The chances of me having it is pretty slim as other than my daughters taking a walk around the lake a week ago, me and my family haven’t been to any stores or out in public the last two weeks.

I think lots of people don’t understand that a mask is not a N95 respirator and as such doesn’t provide much protection for the person wearing it. It’s designed to prevent the wearer from spreading the virus. FWIW, I’ve been wearing an N95 respirator each time I’ve been in a store or in public the last three weeks which is only about 3 occasions.

They are only recommending a mask for times when you are going to be closer than 6 feet to strangers. That would not apply for my golf and my buddy that would most likely to be in my twosome is already recovered from Covid 19 so I’m not too worried about giving the virus to him.

I think lots of people don’t understand that a mask is not a N95 respirator and as such doesn’t provide much protection for the person wearing it. It’s designed to prevent the wearer from spreading the virus. FWIW, I’ve been wearing an N95 respirator each time I’ve been in a store or in public the last three weeks which is only about 3 occasions.

Actually not really. The he CDC is recommending cloth face masks now.

CDC is additionally advising the use of simple cloth face coverings to slow the spread of the virus and help people who may have the virus and do not know it from transmitting it to others. Cloth face coverings fashioned from household items or made at home from common materials at low cost can be used as an additional, voluntary public health measure.

Actually not really. The he CDC is recommending cloth face masks now.

CDC is additionally advising the use of simple cloth face coverings to slow the spread of the virus and help people who may have the virus and do not know it from transmitting it to others. Cloth face coverings fashioned from household items or made at home from common materials at low cost can be used as an additional, voluntary public health measure.

I saw that last night. I'm not a fan of that but I guess thats where we are now

I saw that last night. I'm not a fan of that but I guess thats where we are now

Me neither, but I get it. With symptoms not always showing, it makes it something of an unknown.

Me neither, but I get it. With symptoms not always showing, it makes it something of an unknown.
Cloth masks is a wide term. People will be wearing bandanas and skull face masks its going to get weird.

Cloth masks is a wide term. People will be wearing bandanas and skull face masks its going to get weird.

Good thing the banks aren’t open for walk ins. That would be crazy.

I didn't know there was a Course in the South Beach area, must have missed that. Hope you are doing OK down there, maybe sometime later on we can get a group out to Hammock Beach or I will come down there and we can get @Xman and @Canes out to Doral or ??
We will definitely figure something out when we see the horizon in all of this. I have been thinking of some options...

I’m totally ok with this (i.e. wearing a covering of some kind). Many people have no idea how to cough or sneeze in public.
When I was in Japan back in December, it was normal for them to wear masks in public. I was told it wasnt as much about catching illness but more about not spreading it. I was told that they wear the masks if they dont feel good or have a cough or cold, out of respect for others.

I’m totally ok with this (i.e. wearing a covering of some kind). Many people have no idea how to cough or sneeze in public.
When I was in Japan back in December, it was normal for them to wear masks in public. I was told it wasnt as much about catching illness but more about not spreading it. I was told that they wear the masks if they dont feel good or have a cough or cold, out of respect for others.
I am not sure I would want the widespread face mask usage to become standard, but I do hope that we have a culture change from this and that shaking hands becomes a thing of the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back