Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 Driver

I have to say the 220 is a really good looking club. Just made a grip change. Think the Align really suits it with the red accents. Shortened it a bit. Now at 45.25” to end of grip. Can’t wait to hit this again.

Just sent my buddy a pic. He’s not a big club guy but he is a scratch golfer. His comments were. That is sick looking .... is that a Callaway?
nah bruh...EXOTICS !!View attachment 8935259View attachment 8935260View attachment 8935261View attachment 8935262
Tell your buddy ya, it is the new EXS 220 line from Callaway. :D

Tell your buddy ya, it is the new EXS 220 line from Callaway. :D

good idea.

to his credit though he plays a Big Bertha Alpha and hits a 5yd cut or draw on command about 260-300 every tee shot. Makes me sick.

Going to do a little more indoor work on the EXS vs 220 Comparison today. Hoping to round out the sample sets into some good strikes to put side by side on video and maybe article too. (y)(y)(y)

Going to do a little more indoor work on the EXS vs 220 Comparison today. Hoping to round out the sample sets into some good strikes to put side by side on video and maybe article too. (y)(y)(y)
I vote for some videos of the monstah swing.

I vote for some videos of the monstah swing.
Nah, no swing videos at this time. It’s still a wreck of rust.

But data and thoughts? You know I’ve got that. ;)

JMan
Very interested in some more of your side by side EXS (2019) vs 220 when you get that posted. Now that you've had some work with the 220, how would you describe what the aim of the 2 drivers is/was from TE?
1. Is the 220 the Max MOI (like the old Rogue or Mav Max) model? If so, what would you classify the original EXS as? Any way to describe it as a comparison of the model lines? Was the 2019 more workable in any way?
2. You might have described it earlier, but are you thinking that the 220 is just an evolution of the original design, TE just stepped up their game some more and just getting better and better?

JMan
Very interested in some more of your side by side EXS (2019) vs 220 when you get that posted. Now that you've had some work with the 220, how would you describe what the aim of the 2 drivers is/was from TE?
1. Is the 220 the Max MOI (like the old Rogue or Mav Max) model? If so, what would you classify the original EXS as? Any way to describe it as a comparison of the model lines? Was the 2019 more workable in any way?
2. You might have described it earlier, but are you thinking that the 220 is just an evolution of the original design, TE just stepped up their game some more and just getting better and better?
Hey dude, I shall happily get into some of this once I get my data finished up. I can address the last part now though, this is def not an evolution, it’s a different driver imo.

@Jman sorry, correct thread this time. Have you hit the Cobra SZ Xtreme? From what I have seen it looks like maybe the most forgiving driver available. Is it worth the extra $100 vs the EXS 220? Ball speed retention seems to be very high on the Cobra.

@Jman sorry, correct thread this time. Have you hit the Cobra SZ Xtreme? From what I have seen it looks like maybe the most forgiving driver available. Is it worth the extra $100 vs the EXS 220? Ball speed retention seems to be very high on the Cobra.
Don’t have the Xtreme, but I have the standard SZ as well as the Mav Max. It’s on par with the Max there forgiveness wise.

Not THE most forgiving I’ve played, but its towards the top.

Just got mine brand new 220 10.5 but it came with a HAZRDUS Smoke Yellow in 5.5. While I won't likely get out for another couple weeks due to pandemic concerns with the family (all good for now thankfully), I do appreciate this thread and the driver does appear (fit and finish) to be up there with anything else I have seen. My current gamers are OG Callaway Epic (primary) and Cobra F8 (secondary). I am hoping the 220 replaces both.

Quick question....I am usually in between regular and stiff so I thought I would just go with the 5.5 smoke yellow here. I assume this must be a made-for shaft, right (as the Project X site only shows this in 6.0 and up)? Anyone with any experience in the Smoke Yellow in 5.5?

Will post eventually with my thoughts... Peace and be well all. Mike

Just got mine brand new 220 10.5 but it came with a HAZRDUS Smoke Yellow in 5.5. While I won't likely get out for another couple weeks due to pandemic concerns with the family (all good for now thankfully), I do appreciate this thread and the driver does appear (fit and finish) to be up there with anything else I have seen. My current gamers are OG Callaway Epic (primary) and Cobra F8 (secondary). I am hoping the 220 replaces both.

Quick question....I am usually in between regular and stiff so I thought I would just go with the 5.5 smoke yellow here. I assume this must be a made-for shaft, right (as the Project X site only shows this in 6.0 and up)? Anyone with any experience in the Smoke Yellow in 5.5?

Other than the HZRDUS T800 there really wasn’t any made for HZRDUS stafts.

In the HZRDUS line you had the yellow, red, Smoke and black batch manufactured version that sells for about $100 which is the type that comes in the EXS220 and a lot of other drivers as a stock or non charge upgrade shaft.
Then you have the Hand Crafted (now called Small Batch) version that boasts a higher $250+ price tag and usually is an upcharge to buy in a new driver.

It’s legit dude, no worries.

Counter balanced shaft that a lot of people really like.

JMan

On 1) this is more forgiving than the Rogue imo, and at LEAST neck and neck with the Max. The smaller front to back shape of the 2019 will make it more workable by nature.

TEEm Tour Edge Team Member Sean Update:
I received my EXS 220 Driver today. Upon unboxing the first thing that jumped out at me was the quality build. The pictures I have seen really don’t show off how nice it looks. From a shop floor standpoint this would get my attention on the rack. Especially the crown and how nicely is fades from deep black to carbon fiber (similar to Mavrik). The crown is my favorite part of this club cosmetically. The bottom is a little busy, but not a negative to me.

In regards to face angle it sits square to slightly open and I know this is a look I prefer. If the club face was closed it would be a total deal breaker for me.

There has been some discussion regarding the sound of this club and to me and so many sound (which equates feel) is so important. So I did a little comparison video (YouTube) and linked the Video here. I currently play a TM SIM. So I did a comparison of the sound of both. I must say I found the sound similar in pitch, and feel. But the EXS has a slightly deeper and more resounding sound (actually felt a little more solid than the SIM sound feel).

I have been hitting my SIM better than I had hit a driver in a long time (likely a result of a swing work and a good shaft/head fit to my swing). So I wasn’t super excited to mess with that but after hitting this a few times I actually can’t wait to get this on course for some testing.
In the video the SIM is first hit, followed by the EXS 220
View attachment 8932227

In todays Tour Edge chat Jon talks about the Sound Diffusion Bar built into their clubs, great tech. For me as a tester the sound was something that stood out right off the bat. I am glad that my perception was based on something the company was trying to accomplish.

• Appreciation
Reactions: JB
In todays Tour Edge chat Jon talks about the Sound Diffusion Bar built into their clubs, great tech. For me as a tester the sound was something that stood out right off the bat. I am glad that my perception was based on something the company was trying to accomplish.

I wonder if their goal was to make the driver on the louder side?
For me I come from the Flash so I am not opposed to playing a "louder" sounding driver. I thought I loved muted and after gaming the Epic and PXG Gen 2 found out that I prefered the Flash. At least I know when I hit a good one. I feel the 220 definitely is similar sounding to the Flash.

I wonder if their goal was to make the driver on the louder side?
For me I come from the Flash so I am not opposed to playing a "louder" sounding driver. I thought I loved muted and after gaming the Epic and PXG Gen 2 found out that I prefered the Flash. At least I know when I hit a good one. I feel the 220 definitely is similar sounding to the Flash.
The 220 is much much much much quieter than its predecessor, so in that regard I’d say their goal was to get more acoustically toned down. It’s not quiet imo, but it’s nowhere near the louder side either.

The 220 is much much much much quieter than its predecessor, so in that regard I’d say their goal was to get more acoustically toned down. It’s not quiet imo, but it’s nowhere near the louder side either.
I keep hearing references that the EXS is a really loud driver. I've had mine for about a year now, and I still remember the first time out with it. I hit a few on the driving range that first day, and wow, it was way louder than I remembered it being during my fitting. Got to the first tee, and that big loud crack was replaced with a relatively moderate sound, not what I would consider loud at all. I have found that with the balls I game normally, balls a bit on the softer side (Q-Star Tour, E12 Soft, etc) it is not a loud driver, with some of the range rocks I've hit though, it is a completely different animal, cracks like a rifle shot.

I find the EXS 220, a very solid feeling driver and acoustically one of the best of the 2020 releases (compared to SIM, Mavrik SZ, and Ping G410 LST), 220 feels/sounds better than all three in mu opinion.

It’s legit dude, no worries.

Counter balanced shaft that a lot of people really like.
I put the Smoke Yellow 6.0 in my Cobra F6 and it really brought some life back into it. Felt great my first round out with it, and I could really get more aggressive with my swing compared to the stock Black Tie shaft it replaced.

I find the EXS 220, a very solid feeling driver and acoustically one of the best of the 2020 releases (compared to SIM, Mavrik SZ, and Ping G410 LST), 220 feels/sounds better than all three in mu opinion.
It’s also substantially more forgiving in my testing than SIM

For an erratic swinger like me that hits toe and love this is truth

I have had more success with the SIM, but I have attributed that to the shaft combo. I play the SIM with a Mitsubishi Limited 60x (and it is on the softer side of x). My EXS 220 came with a Hzrdus 6.5 which is a stout shaft, so I had many misses push right. I actually purchased a Hzrdus 6.0 and had it on course once, and the results were much better, right now golf is shut down so testing is on hold.

I didn't find the EXS to be very loud. Pretty average I guess. EXS 220 was more muted/dull.

With this MOI, there’s no way it couldn’t be, imo

Anyone on the TEEm been able to get any more real world testing done with this driver? With their stimulus offer of a free bag if you purchase, thought now would be a good time to bump this one. This driver has me very intrigued. After I update my other spot, driver will be my most likely next upgrade. For the price and performance, it's a hard one to look past.

Anyone on the TEEm been able to get any more real world testing done with this driver? With their stimulus offer of a free bag if you purchase, thought now would be a good time to bump this one. This driver has me very intrigued. After I update my other spot, driver will be my most likely next upgrade. For the price and performance, it's a hard one to look past.
Well you know my situation... 30s and rain with a couple days of snow. Sunday and Monday are supposed to be nice so hopefully 27+ holes coming...

Well you know my situation... 30s and rain with a couple days of snow. Sunday and Monday are supposed to be nice so hopefully 27+ holes coming...
Trust me, I'm feeling your pain. Cant wait for you to finally get it out on a consistent basis.

Back