I Love Golf, But Don't Always Enjoy It

Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
What about you?

I put in a lot of practice, a lot of effort. Some days it shows others it doesn't. I can shoot a 79, or I can shoot a 96. I love the game. However, I can only count on my short game. For example, I've gone 121 holes without a three putt.

However, me and the full swing just haven't found a partnership. Right now I'm fighting a hook. Where's Ben Hogan when you need him. lol

So while I love golf, I don't always enjoy it. But that doesn't stop me. I'll keep plugging along. You'd think after five years I would have found a swing I can rely on.

What about you? Do you love golf, but sometimes don't enjoy it?

same here, love golf but some rounds just get to ya, at the end of the day i always enjoy it though, at least im able to be out there playing.

What about you?

I put in a lot of practice, a lot of effort. Some days it shows others it doesn't. I can shoot a 79, or I can shoot a 96. I love the game. However, I can only count on my short game. For example, I've gone 121 holes without a three putt.

However, me and the full swing just haven't found a partnership. Right now I'm fighting a hook. Where's Ben Hogan when you need him. lol

So while I love golf, I don't always enjoy it. But that doesn't stop me. I'll keep plugging along. You'd think after five years I would have found a swing I can rely on.

EXACTLY how I felt today.

You just descibed my round today Sean. The first 4 holes I felt so in sync, and then after that until the last 4 I felt like I had no idea what I was doing. I was able to find my rhythym again on the last 4 holes. But it's the great shots that keep me coming back for more. I wouldn't care playing just bogey golf. I just wish that I was more consistant. Most frustrating game that I have ever played that's for sure!

I'm always disappointed coming up the 18th fairway; if I'm having a good day I don't want it to end; if I'm having a bad day I know I can turn it around if I play some more.

Kinda like chocolate; love it but it can cost a notch in the belt.

There are many times I don't enjoy it, but I still love it. Usually a bad round will kind of damper my mood a bit but I will always love the game. It's frustrating and takes forever to be good at it that's the greatest part.

There are many times I don't enjoy it, but I still love it. Usually a bad round will kind of damper my mood a bit but I will always love the game. It's frustrating and takes forever to be good at it that's the greatest part.

How long have you been playing Dent? I was just curious because it seems that with my lessons now I don't look forward to them anymore, because I feel (although my coach says we're making great progress) that I take one step forward and then five steps back......

Actually I guess I am one of the rare few that loves golf and always enjoys it. Even if I am really struggling and just trying to break a 100 i try to enjoy the course.
I enjoy the other golfers I'm golfing with or I just enjoy the peace and quiet and the scenic views. Either way, i realize I've got it pretty good to be playing golf right now.

Trust me, enjoy it while u can :)

You feel like you're making progress and then...you get a kick in the butt. It's a head scratcher that's for sure. I just wonder why my short game is "relatively" consistent, but my long game is all over the map.

How long have you been playing Dent? I was just curious because it seems that with my lessons now I don't look forward to them anymore, because I feel (although my coach says we're making great progress) that I take one step forward and then five steps back......

I started hitting balls when I was 6, played par 3's until I was around 8 or 9 and played my first full length course when I was 8, so ever since then I guess about 11 or 12 years. Clg that is an exact attribute of golf, you are always going to take a few steps back before you make any progress. You will sometimes feel like your lesson was pointless, but then it will all come around again with practise. Your pro wouldn't make you do something unless it was meant to help. Changes will put you back but be better in the long run.

I started hitting balls when I was 6, played par 3's until I was around 8 or 9 and played my first full length course when I was 8, so ever since then I guess about 11 or 12 years. Clg that is an exact attribute of golf, you are always going to take a few steps back before you make any progress. You will sometimes feel like your lesson was pointless, but then it will all come around again with practise. Your pro wouldn't make you do something unless it was meant to help. Changes will put you back but be better in the long run.

Thanks for the encouragement Dent. I wish my parents would have started me out in this sport at such a young age. After starting lessons about 6 months ago my scores have dropped dramatically. But then I get to my next lesson and he says well do you want to shoot in the low 90's or high 70's? And then he'll show me what i need to work on next ugh!! So frustrating lol

Actually I guess I am one of the rare few that loves golf and always enjoys it. Even if I am really struggling and just trying to break a 100 i try to enjoy the course.
I enjoy the other golfers I'm golfing with or I just enjoy the peace and quiet and the scenic views. Either way, i realize I've got it pretty good to be playing golf right now.

Trust me, enjoy it while u can :)
Good post. :thumb:

I'm too competitive for my own good. :)

I played today with my stepson. Though I had an enjoyable day having him with me on the course, it was in someways not enjoyable. It was a very windy day number one and number two have had a lot of things on my mind lately and they have kinda consumed me, so I am not enjoying much of anything right now. Hopefully all of that is about to change soon.

I played today with my stepson. Though I had an enjoyable day having him with me on the course, it was in someways not enjoyable. It was a very windy day number one and number two have had a lot of things on my mind lately and they have kinda consumed me, so I am not enjoying much of anything right now. Hopefully all of that is about to change soon.
Toddo I hope things get better soon for you!

I hope it changes for you soon.

As for me I dont care when how the weather is rain shine,its all fine/ Golfing is always enjoyable to me

What about you?

One of the greatest things I ever heard about golf, for my mental game, was on the golf smarter podcast last fall where the host said he went out earlier that week and shot an 83 at a nice, difficult course in his area; Later that week he went to his home cours and shot a 95. He wondered aloud "what kind of golfer am I, am I the guy who flirts with breaking 80 on a difficult course, or am I the kind of golfer who can barely break 100 on his home course?...Well I'm both. golf is a game of inexactitudes, sometimes you're going to do well withing a range, sometimes you won't, neither is an indictment of your game"

That has helped me tremendously. Now when I golf I usually get to do a lot of golfing so the errors aren't as magnified (I spent 8 hours on the course today. I'm sure If I could only play one round, chunking a 60 yard wedge shot would make me a lot more upset than when I know I'll get plenty of other holes in), but It allowed me to get frustrated but not upset at bad shots. To the point where I'm (and sometimes successfully) trying to enjoy the grind of a struggling round (again, i'm sure it's a lot easier to enjoy grinding out bad rounds when you play many a round in a day).

Today on my 9 hole course I shot a couple of 48's, a 47, a 46 and a 43 (not good I know, but in my defense the weather and wind were terrible. i'm not a long hitter anyway and 3 of the 4 longest holes today were playing dead into the wind, scoring conditions it was not. one of the longer par 4's where I can usually go driver-4 iron on, I hit Driver-3 Wood, hit them both well, and was still 40 yards short of the green). The 47 was my favorite round because I started 9 over through 3 holes. Battled back with 3 straight pars, a bogey, double, and finished the round sinking a 15 foot downhill par putt on the 9th. Had to get up and down for 3 of the 4 pars I had. While we all love when the game is grooving, there's something enjoyable to me about the idea of being able to grind it out during a bad round

I have plenty of these days. Ultimately even when I play poorly I sometimes feel I played better and reflecting on those great shots are always what bring me back. Which I'm sure the same would be said for likely 70% on here. If I could play bogey golf consistently I would be ecstatic! But also, the challenge is why I will likely never stop playing. I hope I can instill this in my kids and we play golf until I can't walk anymore!

I love it! Yeah, I certainly have days in which I become so very frustrated but I've found more and more lately that I can't wait to get back on the course after a bad day. I do, also, always enjoy the company of those that I play with and the peace and beauty of a golf course.

I just never fail to be amazed by the phenomenon of wanting to play more even after a bad round - my mind always wants to fight to get better. I love it! Honestly, I've only been playing golf for three years but it has simply been an awesome experience to this point.

What about you?

I had a round on Thursday where I made a bunch of silly mistakes, and was getting really annoyed with how I was playing. However, the other guys that I was playing with were great guys, so it made the day enjoyable overall. I guess what I'm saying is that the game can be frustrating, but there's few other things I'd rather be doing than playing golf, so I tend to enjoy it overall.

One other thing: a few years ago, I used to have a really bad temper on the course, and I wasn't as good of a player at that time as I am now (handicap was 15 back then). One day, I was playing a round with my dad, and he saw that I was getting really mad. He came over to me and said something to the effect of "you're not good enough at this game to get mad over how you are playing." In other words, it's not like I'm a tour pro, I'm going to hit bad shots and I needed to learn at that time how to deal with it. After that, my outlook on the course changed significantly. I'm still competitive and will get upset at myself when I don't play well, but I have cut down significantly on the outbursts and other outward displays of anger. It's just a game after all, why not have fun with it? Changing my mindset has helped me enjoy the game more, and I think that's part of the reason that I've gotten better at the game overall.

Some good things written here. I don't get mad-mad. Like Dirty Harry, I sigh and say "Swell".

I could have written what Ary wrote. I also agree with Coach. Shortly after a bad round I can't wait to get back out and see if I can do better. And, like SS the challenge is to constantly get better. CJ you have a good attitude...that will carry you a long way. I'm only 56 though, so my level of maturity still needs work. I know it sounds trite, but I really am working on the "one shot at time" thing.

isnt this the reason the game is so great? because it is so maddening?

I love golf and enjoy every round. I feel the pain at times, but I accepted the fact a long time ago that golf is day to day. I don't get too high when I play well, or too low when I don't.

When I was younger I loved every round I played good or bad. As I honed my skills I started to get board with bad rounds and then angry!
In the last few years I have really started to dislike certain rounds I have played. I can't explain it but I Just can't wait to get off the course. I figure it's my attitude cuz I enjoy the company. I've decided to have a more positive outlook.

I do love the game but like you there are rounds I don't enjoy much. When at my home course, I usually just stop on 9 holes and go home if I am having one of those days. Last week I had a great front nine in a tournament only to have a terrible back nine. I certainly enjoyed the front a lot more than the back. Once that tension starts building, it's usually downhill from there. I need to learn to let it go but my confidence just leaves me sometimes and my game goes south.

I love golf and I always enjoy it. I think we take too many things for granted sometimes. The thought of not having clubs or not being able to play makes me enjoy every round or practice session.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Back