Taylormade Burner 2.0 Irons & THP Testing

I apologize if this has been asked previously, but i'd lazily rather not dig through 124 pages.

I'm in the market for new irons, will be doing some serious testing and most likely purchasing at the local demo day in two weeks, I just have a question for those of you who have them/have tested them. I have a set of 2005 callaway big bertha super game improvement irons. How do the burners as 2011 gi irons compare in forgivability in 2005 sgi irons?

I've never hit those BB's but the 2.0's are incredibly forgiving. You will feel it when you miss hit them but the results are very good.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts from your demo day.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

just because you're dealing with 6 years difference in technology I'd say they were night and day. Best bet is to just go hit them

I've never hit those BB's but the 2.0's are incredibly forgiving. You will feel it when you miss hit them but the results are very good.

What these guys said! The 2.0s are not what I'd call Super Game Improvement but they are very forgiving irons none the less. Go and hit them, I'm sure you'll like them. Be sure to come back and tell us what you decided on!

I apologize if this has been asked previously, but i'd lazily rather not dig through 124 pages.

I'm in the market for new irons, will be doing some serious testing and most likely purchasing at the local demo day in two weeks, I just have a question for those of you who have them/have tested them. I have a set of 2005 callaway big bertha super game improvement irons. How do the burners as 2011 gi irons compare in forgivability in 2005 sgi irons?
I owned a set and I like the 2.0's better.

I owned a set and I like the 2.0's better.

Thank you very much gentleman. At the Demo day (which i'm waiting for because then i can hit on an actual on an actual grass range, plus the 30% discount you get for coming doesn't hurt either), i've already got a list to try out. the Ap1's, the Burners (hopefully they have the 1.0's their too, i'd like to see how those are, but i doubt they'll have them there), the cleveland g16's, the ping g15's, the cobra s3's the mizuno 800's as well as whatever else catches my eye.

It may sound cheesy, but i'm leaning towards the burner's in part because i like the idea of having a taylormade in my bag. Obviously you gotta go with what works best for you, but my previous two drivers have been nike's, i got a nike wedge, i've got callaway irons and used to have a callaway wedge. I like the idea of having something different in the bag

Thank you very much gentleman. At the Demo day (which i'm waiting for because then i can hit on an actual on an actual grass range, plus the 30% discount you get for coming doesn't hurt either), i've already got a list to try out. the Ap1's, the Burners (hopefully they have the 1.0's their too, i'd like to see how those are, but i doubt they'll have them there), the cleveland g16's, the ping g15's, the cobra s3's the mizuno 800's as well as whatever else catches my eye.

It may sound cheesy, but i'm leaning towards the burner's in part because i like the idea of having a taylormade in my bag. Obviously you gotta go with what works best for you, but my previous two drivers have been nike's, i got a nike wedge, i've got callaway irons and used to have a callaway wedge. I like the idea of having something different in the bag
I owned the AP1's and G15's too, and liked the 2.0's better. It's good that you're trying different clubs. Everyone has a personal preference and you should go with what you're comfortable with, what suits you're eye, and what performs the best for you.

30% discount for a demo day??!!! Wow, that's killer. You can't say no to that.

I owned the AP1's and G15's too, and liked the 2.0's better. It's good that you're trying different clubs. Everyone has a personal preference and you should go with what you're comfortable with, what suits you're eye, and what performs the best for you.

Good to know, the more knowledge I can gather the better. Thanks.

30% discount for a demo day??!!! Wow, that's killer. You can't say no to that.

yes sir. The Demo day is sponsored by Golf Headquarters and they throw that in to sweeten the pot so you leave and immediately go get something. It worked for me with my driver. I went to the demo day just to go, and although I needed a new driver I wasn't there with the specific intent. I liked the Callaway (can't remeber the name, maybe it was the big bertha 2 or something, It came out around the same time as the FT-5, before the FT-I. Hit those (not the ft-i, that wasn't out yet), hit some mizuno's, hit some irons from every manufacturer; you know just taking advantage of the day. Hit this nike, knew it was the absolute right club, and with the discount I said "why not", and bought it that evening. Me and that club still have a good relationship to this day

Good to know, the more knowledge I can gather the better. Thanks.

yes sir. The Demo day is sponsored by Golf Headquarters and they throw that in to sweeten the pot so you leave and immediately go get something. It worked for me with my driver. I went to the demo day just to go, and although I needed a new driver I wasn't there with the specific intent. I liked the Callaway (can't remeber the name, maybe it was the big bertha 2 or something, It came out around the same time as the FT-5, before the FT-I. Hit those (not the ft-i, that wasn't out yet), hit some mizuno's, hit some irons from every manufacturer; you know just taking advantage of the day. Hit this nike, knew it was the absolute right club, and with the discount I said "why not", and bought it that evening. Me and that club still have a good relationship to this day
The reason I didn't get in more detail of why I prefer the 2.0's was I didn't want to put any thoughts in your head before you try the AP1's and G15's. The AP1's, BB's, and G15's are fine golf clubs, I simply preferred the 2.0's. My son, on the other hand, preferred the AP1's. Good luck!

I've been hitting the free Burner 2.0 6i every now and then at the range and I really like the feel/sound along with the look at address. I'm not see the distance increase though that lots of people have experienced. The Machspeeds are long clubs in the own right but I don't know, for some reason I was expecting a huge gain. I'd still put them in the bag though lol.

You've got a nice list of irons to demo. They are all good but I prefer the 2.0's to many of those listed for a couple of reasons:

-I love the progressive offset throughout the set. You get into your scoring irons, and they look like scoring irons should.
-I think the 2.0's feature a narrower sole, which equates to a bit less bounce, which for me, promotes much better ball striking.
-I think the 2.0's are the best looking of the bunch. Completely subjective, I know, but it's my opinion.

The reason I didn't get in more detail of why I prefer the 2.0's was I didn't want to put any thoughts in your head before you try the AP1's and G15's. The AP1's, BB's, and G15's are fine golf clubs, I simply preferred the 2.0's. My son, on the other hand, preferred the AP1's. Good luck!

You've got a nice list of irons to demo. They are all good but I prefer the 2.0's to many of those listed for a couple of reasons:

-I love the progressive offset throughout the set. You get into your scoring irons, and they look like scoring irons should.
-I think the 2.0's feature a narrower sole, which equates to a bit less bounce, which for me, promotes much better ball striking.
-I think the 2.0's are the best looking of the bunch. Completely subjective, I know, but it's my opinion.

thanks again, gentlemen. I know it boils down to personal preferences and personal feel/comfort/confidence, but it's always good to go in with as much information as possible, so i appreciate it.

I think you might want to give the K15's a shot too. They are great irons as well with good forgiveness.

Tapatalkin' this mutha.

can someone tell me an easy way to actually find the reviews of these irons? Short of going through all 125 pages, Ive tried randomly looking and havent had any luck

can someone tell me an easy way to actually find the reviews of these irons? Short of going through all 125 pages, Ive tried randomly looking and havent had any luck
I've suggested that in the future those posting reviews in a thread place a red bold header in their post making it easier to identify. Don't know what happened to that suggestion though. lol

yeah the same thing with a few of the driver reviews I wanted to look at, just gave up after awhile

My second round with the new Burner 2.0's is coming up in about 2 hours.
I will be posting a review later today or tomorrow on these.
The first round went very well after starting to get the feel for the new distances over my X-20 Tours, so I'm looking forward to today's test.

My second round with the new Burner 2.0's is coming up in about 2 hours.
I will be posting a review later today or tomorrow on these.
The first round went very well after starting to get the feel for the new distances over my X-20 Tours, so I'm looking forward to today's test.
That is awesome Drumdog, I cannot wait to hear all of your thoughts! These irons are awesome!

Once you get used to the distances, these are so so so nice. They've really quenched my ho itch as far as irons go, and that saying something big for me.

Hello to all. I’ve just joined the site. It’s taken me a couple of weeks, on-and-off, to read half of this mega thread! So here’s my sizeable first contribution. I really have tried to keep it concise!

I’ve recently returned to golf, having not played since I was a teenager, some twenty years ago. After only a few rounds and a couple of range sessions, I couldn’t resist investing in the Burner 2.0 irons!

I was amazed how intuitively I fitted back into knowing my distances with my ancient Spalding ProFlite irons. (I see Spalding no longer even make clubs!). Yet sometimes it didn’t matter whether I was swinging a 5iron or an 8iron, shots were landing at 150yards. I quickly found my hands, wrists and fingers were taking a pounding from my old clubs; seriously aching. This might have been equally my previous lack of physical exercise, and sometimes playing from stiff mats, as much as the fault of the clubs, but I was intrigued to know whether modern technology was more comfortable to play!

After researching online what was on the market today (learning of the existence of fat-headed game-improvement irons, hybrids, and the expanded wedge-end of the game), I visited a local shop for a look and then a shop/range where I had one session with a 6iron in the Burner 2.0, Callaway X24 and Mizuno MX-200… and jumped straight into a set of Burners!

I was instantly amazed by the Burner. I was instantly, repeatedly, hitting the 6iron 190-200yards, with ease, and straight; something I could only occasionally get out of a lucky, very well struck 4iron with my old clubs. The ball flight seemed like nothing I’d hit before; penetrating forward before then lifting higher, gaining much extra distance, then dropping quite steeply and stopping. Both the X24 and MX-200 were also a vast improvement on my old clubs, but the X24 heads seemed chunkier in size when compared to the Burner’s 2-tone top-line, and I was consistently drawing the ball with the MX-200’s. I was achieving much extra distance with all three new clubs, but the Burners really did feel unbelievably easy to hit a long way. And it was immediately obvious that shots I thought I’d totally miss-hit (toe), still went straight and long! The one thing that nearly put me off, was what I thought sounded a more ‘cracking’ kind of noise upon striking the Burners. However, I haven’t thought this once since owning them. I really meant to do far more testing before making a purchase, but a few days after first trying them, I just ordered them. (4-PW)

I was straight out to the range the moment they arrived, to try them off grass. Again I started with the 6iron and again it immediately flew 190-200yards, straight, with ease. The 5iron is immense; very long (210+… I mean, seriously, I’ve only just come back to the game!), very high, but so much easier to NOT hit straight like the 6iron! I was really excited at what the 4iron might be capable of. If I can play beyond 200yards with two of my irons, I’m not even bothered about having a driver/wood/hybrid in the bag at the moment. However, initially, I found the 4iron much less easy to hit. I didn’t lift the ball as easily as with the 5i, and as such, frequently didn’t achieve as much distance. That past-tense is me being hopeful, because I’ve just come back to this paragraph after a glimmer of wondrous things during a range session and a round. At the range I practised with the 4iron and caught it OK a few times, but one ball was the finest shot I’ve ever played! Whilst I put a few past 200yards, and probably past my 5iron length, the trajectory was too low. But one ball took off like nothing I’ve ever hit. It followed the flight shape I mentioned earlier; penetrating then lifting, then carrying forever before dropping steeply. It seemed impossible. I believe it cleared the 15ft fence at the end of the range, which at my side was easily 230yards. The ball was in the air forever. I had a walk around after my session; there’s a public footpath between the range and a farm field, and there was one ball where I expected, a few meters outside the fence. If that was mine (and the range was so quiet that day, it could have been), that’s evidence of how long, high and short-stopping even the 4iron in the burner can be!

Next I had 9-Holes at a local course. The 7th, Par5, is like a rollercoaster; a huge deep valley, then a large hill that rises just higher than the tee, then a long gentle downhill slope. The apex of the hill must be 230yrds from the tee. With my 4iron I wasn’t high or straight (pushed right), but I wasn’t too far short of the apex. I played a 2nd ball, desperate to pull-off a miracle, which didn’t happen, but to my amazement I found I’d landed within 2m of my first ball! So what does that say for consistency?! I might need to work on me, but the clubs are proving to be amazing!

My local course feels so much smaller within two rounds with the new clubs; I really have come down two clubs, e.g. from a 6i to an 8i on Par3s. Oh, and I’ve also hit greens within several meters of the pin from 150yrds out, and put a big smile on my face! I’m loving the Burner 2.0! Oh, and my aching hands are a thing of the past!!!

Anyway, here’s my question about shaft lengths…

We all know the shafts are long on this set, but has anyone found the 4i/5i to be disproportionately long, relative to the rest of the set, and rather difficult to play? Are they just too long? The 5i feels long to me, but at 5’10”, sits flat in its lie. The 4i on the other hand feels perhaps just too long, and I suspect the toe is sitting a little off the ground. I can see that extra length equates to extra distance, and if they’re still easier to hit than my old long irons, or modern hybrids etc., then fine, I don’t mind longer shafts. But how do others feel about the longer irons? Would anyone rather them be an inch shorter? How would people advise fitting this club? Instinctively I would think to shorten the club rather than mess with the head angles. It seems the simpler option, and I’d probably be more comfortable with the ball closer at address.

Welcome to THP Bobby and thanks for taking the time out to share your thoughts, findings, and experiences with us. It's going to be difficult for me to answer your questions about the long irons for a couple of reasons: I'm about 6 inches taller than you are, so the stock lengths don't give me fits. From day one with these irons, I've loved hitting the 3 and 4 iron. I hit them long and straight, but I will say that they don't achieve near the high ball flight that the other irons do (I know that they're different lofts but the 3 and 4 seem to be lower launching, proportionally).

If it were me, and I were you, I would consult a fitter.

I just got the steel shafted Burner 2.0 6 iron from a fellow THPer, and the day before it showed up I received a graphite shafted Burner 2.0 6 iron from TM, I'm hoping to hit the range early next week and give a side by side comparison on them. Can't wait to hit 'em!

So, I found the HP looking for info on new irons late last year. I waited until I had the opportunity to hit a few irons at a golf shop out of town while on vacation in St. George a month or so ago. The TM 2.0 won out over the Razr irons, currently playing the `06 bertha irons with reg graphite shaft. I finally ordered the 5-PW stiff steal shaft from Golfsmith (had gift certificate). They showed up 3 day before our 2 day spring best ball tournament. It was a busy week at work with no time to go out before the start. Finally hit them an hour before early morning tee time and took them to the course, what was I thinking? It was a cold windy day in southern Idaho and ended up shooting my worst score (95) in over 2+ years. My old irons have a big offset and play them to the right to get to land in center. The 2.0 irons were going to the right (strait to slight push) couldn’t quite get it figured out. At times I was expecting them to fly further and they would land short, other times they would land on back of green and bounce off the back. The second day wasn’t much better (90), starting to get a handle of the offset and steal shaft, it took until the 15th hole to get a birdie, nailed the PW to within 2ft on a Par 3. I wasn’t sure if it was the shaft, steal vs. graphite or stiff vs. regular that made it hard to figure out. I spent all last week contemplating on exercising the 90 day exchange policy from GS. I went back to the scene of the crime (aka. golf course) yesterday to give it another go at it. Not sure if I was just pushing myself or just looking for excuse not to shoot well but talked my golf partner into playing the blue tee’s vs. the whites as normal for our group. Boy what a difference a week will bring (81), granted the weather was much calmer. This time I was pointing where I wanted to end up and for the most part would draw in just slightly too strait flight. As for distance I just went down 1 club for most every shot and didn’t disappoint. Long story short, don’t take these out of the box and expect what I did to play lights out or even as usual, it took a few rounds to get the feel but these guys perform as advertised.

Ok...here is my review on the Burner 2.0's after my last 2 rounds.

They are definitely longer than my Cally X-20 Tours and here are the avg yardages I am getting so far...

4 iron - 205
5 iron - 197
6 iron - 182
7 iron - 169
8 iron - 158
9 iron - 149
PW - 130

These yardages are what I call my "stock shots" and are about 7 to 9 yards longer than my Cally's. I have found these clubs very easy to hit a little shorter when needed by choking down a little. My Cally's were not as cooperative in this manner for me.

I put the 4 iron in the bag and pulled the 4 hybrid out for these last 2 rounds. The old 4 iron was giving me fits, so that's why I put the hybrid in the bag to begin with. The TM 2.0 4 iron is staying in the bag. I am able to hit good shots with it and the confidence is building with every swing.

I've never spun the ball as much as I would like with longer irons, so I've always depended on the descent angle to help stop the ball. The ball flight on these is a little higher than the cally's, which I like a lot. (which seems weird since they are a little stronger lofts....shaft difference maybe?)

I'm not a big mover of the ball, left or right, but I can move it with these clubs, so that is something I will have to learn to use.

I'm in love with the middle and short irons! The ball flight is nice and high and I can spin these just fine. I can describe a well struck ball in one word...Butter !
Miss hits do give me the feedback I'm looking for and I still get pretty good distances. I don't know how much more praise I can give these irons other than to say if you are considering purchasing irons this year, make sure you give these a try.

Last edited:
Great post dd. I'm super glad you're digging them. Mine are definitely the safest clubs in the bag, just sheer love for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone who's played these for awhile- do you see any distance issues?

Hit a 6iron 185 one day; 175 the next?

Trying to narrow down pros cons fr each iron here.

Back