18-Hole Floating Golf Course w/ Underwater Tunnels Planned

jlukes

Reaction score
waterstudio-nl-floating-golf-course-1.jpg

http://www.wired.com/playbook/2011/04/maldives-floating-golf-course/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wired%2Fscience%2Fspace+%28Wired%3A+Science+-+Space%29&pid=220

Kinda cool and its solar powered

Awesome, I would play that course./

That is crazy cool!!! And I thought the floating green was amazing

I would sooo play that!!

Wow I would lose a lot of golf balls there

Great- another really cool course that I will never play! :act-up:

Its a really cool idea. I have seen other places that are doing underwater hotels but never a floating golf course.
Kinda makes #17 at TPC Sawgrass look mundane!

Wow, if they can pull it off for 500 mil it'll be a miracle and worth playing in that case.

cart girl had better carry lots of balls for sale

That would be a very unique golfing experience!

I think that would be so cool to play, but I know it will cost much more than I would be willing to pay.

I think that would be so cool to play, but I know it will cost much more than I would be willing to pay.

Yup, my first reaction was "that's not going to be cheap"

Haha, that looks completely insane. The tunnels between holes look pretty fun!

I bet they could get a large amount of that money back by finding a host for an event on the European Tour.
The novelty of the course would help in finding a title sponsor and likely even a strong field! Heck, the country is willing to drop 500 mill on the course alone- they could sponsor the tournament themselves. Whats another 20 mil anyways?

Rich americans would FLOCK to the course after seeing the pro's play it. 2-3 good years of tournaments and tourism boost and the cost might be back down inline with a normal golf course (design wise)

That course is going to have to be on the look out for pirates in those waters

Looks sweet, I would think it would only be a par 3 course, I couldn't see them making a full out 7000 yard course.

Looks sweet, I would think it would only be a par 3 course, I couldn't see them making a full out 7000 yard course.

I think they would have to, to make people come and play. I would imagine it will be a full championship type course or there is no point in doing it.

I think they would have to, to make people come and play. I would imagine it will be a full championship type course or there is no point in doing it.

Jeez I just don't understand how this is completely going to work.. what about shipping/recieving? Building the pro shop/club house... emergency? Making something right flat out in the middle of nowhere just seems really tough to consider situations besides the golf.

Jeez I just don't understand how this is completely going to work.. what about shipping/recieving? Building the pro shop/club house... emergency? Making something right flat out in the middle of nowhere just seems really tough to consider situations besides the golf.

I have no idea how they are going to do it, but I don't think its going to be in the middle of no where because they say its going to have tunnels to a few of the hotels, so my guess would be that it is just off the coast.

Yeah it's already one of the most expensive places to go to in the world being that it's just so far away from North America. The Maldives is one of the places I have tagged for when the kids are off to college type trips. I looked at some of the hotels and literally the rooms are on stilts hovering above the water with some of the floors constructed out of glass so you can see the fish and the reefs (pretty common there since the country is basically made of atolls and an island chain sitting only a couple of feet above the Indian Ocean). Super cool that if they build this then there'll be man things to do there.

Yeah it's already one of the most expensive places to go to in the world being that it's just so far away from North America. The Maldives is one of the places I have tagged for when the kids are off to college type trips. I looked at some of the hotels and literally the rooms are on stilts hovering above the water with some of the floors constructed out of glass so you can see the fish and the reefs (pretty common there since the country is basically made of atolls and an island chain sitting only a couple of feet above the Indian Ocean). Super cool that if they build this then there'll be man things to do there.

I want to go there too, but with global warming I don't think you can wait until your kids are in college man, probably be under water by then.

I want to go there too, but with global warming I don't think you can wait until your kids are in college man, probably be under water by then.

The way it's going you could be right. I read somewhere that the islands are sinking due to the rising water levels. Maybe they should just build the whole thing underwater. Make it like that sea lab thing they have at Disney. :D

The way it's going you could be right. I read somewhere that the islands are sinking due to the rising water levels. Maybe they should just build the whole thing underwater. Make it like that sea lab thing they have at Disney. :D

Under water golf would be crazy! You could hit the ball like 20-30 yards with your driver for sure.

Back