Bitter cold Temps in Texas

48 hrs and no power. Mon night it was in the low 40’s inside and last night it creeped up to the upper 40’s. We have power now but who knows for how long since we are being told it’s temporary. We got the kids to a friends house last night as they had power but their power just went out so looks like we’ll have guests

Stay safe Mike.

48 hrs and no power. Mon night it was in the low 40’s inside and last night it creeped up to the upper 40’s. We have power now but who knows for how long since we are being told it’s temporary. We got the kids to a friends house last night as they had power but their power just went out so looks like we’ll have guests

stay safe Mike. Man ours goes on and off here too it’s just not reliable right now. We’ve had several outages. Water going out and they are starting to issue boil bans

On the bright side the dogs aren’t stupid and have kept warm with us. They have been sleeping in the bed.

stay safe Mike. Man ours goes on and off here too it’s just not reliable right now. We’ve had several outages. Water going out and they are starting to issue boil bans
luckily we’ve had water and gas so not as bad as it could be, but I think this power is temporary.

I’m ready for the next wave
1613584747696.gif

Water line busted yesterday afternoon, ran to Lowe’s to get parts, forgot pvc glue. Went back this morning, got glue, got everything cut & fit. I finally looked at what I was working on and it was the damn sprinkler line! I put it back to together, left the valve closed & said screw it. A good fix will wait until spring. I was in such a rush, I never actually stopped to look. I saw it but I wasn’t seeing it.

We haven’t been told of a boil water notice in my area (Mud in NE side), but I’ve had my lines open to try and keep them from freezing and found some funky looking stuff in my bathtub...I guess it’s time to break into the bottled water.

Yeah, stores are dangerously low on water repair items... going to have to start keeping water off to homes when they pop until next week at the earliest

When I saw "9 degrees" in Dallas the other day, I thought it was a typo or a mistake. I've never seen that down there before.

My brother in law is from Canada, my sister is from MN. They moved there when he was playing pro hockey for a team in TX, and they LOVED the 50 degree winter weather there while they were there. Just shocking to see single digits down there.

We went 57 hours without power. It's been on for 2hrs now, however, I'm expecting it to go off again anytime now. Argh!

When I saw "9 degrees" in Dallas the other day, I thought it was a typo or a mistake. I've never seen that down there before.

My brother in law is from Canada, my sister is from MN. They moved there when he was playing pro hockey for a team in TX, and they LOVED the 50 degree winter weather there while they were there. Just shocking to see single digits down there.

Shocking to us, too. Weak Polar Vortex, they say, probably caused by you know what... But the suffering and death could have been prevented - professionals plan for the worse, but ERCOT did not.

February is usually the worst month in terms of cold. But last year, we were playing golf in Feb in the high 30's-low 40's - not a big deal as long as not much wind.

Power still out; hopeful it starts coming back soon

Geez guys, hope you southerners get through this ok.
Keep those pipes running!

T&P's to you all!

Slowly working it better... some power today, more than yesterday! Water running and holding on over the next few days

Thoughts and prayers to all the incredibly self sacrificing hard working plant and line operators risking everything for us. Thanks and blessings to them all; they are the heroes in this time

Thoughts and prayers to all the incredibly self sacrificing hard working plant and line operators risking everything for us. Thanks and blessings to them all; they are the heroes in this time
I know at least in our area a lot of the hospital staff has been at the hospital the last 4-5 days as well.

I know at least in our area a lot of the hospital staff has been at the hospital the last 4-5 days as well.

Yes. A lot of family are driving in snow and sleet to hospitals to volunteer however they can. Have obgyn surgeons doing nursing rotations. Thoughts and prayers to all of them. Trying to help out by delivering hot food where we can. It is t much but feeding those that sacrifice for us is a small and inconsequential gift

Shocking to us, too. Weak Polar Vortex, they say, probably caused by you know what... But the suffering and death could have been prevented - professionals plan for the worse, but ERCOT did not.

February is usually the worst month in terms of cold. But last year, we were playing golf in Feb in the high 30's-low 40's - not a big deal as long as not much wind.
My dad and I played golf up here in MN in 20s. Probably played in the teens, im sure of it (windchill is a different snimal). Basically any time of the year up here, as long as no snow on the ground.

It will be 40s up here this coming week, so I'm guessing you guys got through the worst of it at this point.

My dad and I played golf up here in MN in 20s. Probably played in the teens, im sure of it (windchill is a different snimal). Basically any time of the year up here, as long as no snow on the ground.

It will be 40s up here this coming week, so I'm guessing you guys got through the worst of it at this point.

I appreciate the perspective; to be clear - we are significantly more prepared for a Katrina style event than this. Imagine a cat-4 or cat5 120+ mph plus flooding and power outage and no water. This is a different level event for us

Reactions: JB
Reading the news and thinking about all of you from Texas. Stay safe. I really hope it leads to some changes that can hopefully prevent this from happening again.

Our local community Italian restaurant was open tonight. They drive 30 miles to find clean water and gas for their generators and opened.. we helped but that place is now an institution for us. At many times I’ve welcomed them to our home for dinner or water. Tonight they embody the best of us. Texas forever! We will get through this and own it; beers for anyone near me.

I work for a boiler service company & we’ve been running hard through all this at hospitals, apartments, & plants. There’s been a few plants that shut down but didn’t drain anything, we’re going to be running a bunch of pipe for a while. Steam headers split, valves sheared, even a few vessels frozen. It’s rough all the way around.

I’m going to writeup a proper thank you but to Callaway; I did not have any fireplace equipment.... we never actually used our fireplace. It was cosmetic, something we talked about or showed off as an add on.

This week Callaway Golf and that fireplace saved my family. Temps were single digits and we were at risk of hypothermia. after building a fire the only way to manage it was a Callaway epic iron (sadly I don’t own a fire poker). It I warped it, I broke it, but that club let me keep fire going throughout the night for my family.

i *know* it saved lives that night. Thank you Callaway.

Back