Augusta National Golf Club - Holes 1-3, THP style

I guess I never realized how much those fairway bunkers would be a magnet for me on all 3 of those holes, I'd avoid them like the plague!

And how many greensides there are!

That's because the pros are good. Those things are clearly in play for us hacks 😂

I'm not going to pretend to be able to putt well on those greens, maybe after a few holes I'll adjust to the speed haha
I have myself 3 jacking all 3 greens also.

See you get it :LOL: I've never putted on anything like those I guarantee it.
Speed is one thing, the slopes are another, but being in the right place on the green is the thing I would have issues with. Try to stop shots on your dinner table or have a guaranteed 3 jack. I'm leaving toward me missing the dinner table.

See you get it :LOL: I've never putted on anything like those I guarantee it.

I might be crazy, but I think I'd do about as well as I do on really firm and fast greens. Yes, these have some crazy slopes to them. Yes, they can be devilishly fast. But, it's all about positioning. I'll for sure three putt several times. But, I won't three putt every green. Maybe it's from years of watching where not to hit it or putt from. Like 9 (since I have that day anyway) everyone knows where to hit it for that pin placement. Right of the pin, maybe a touch long and let the slope help bring it to the right level. If you have 130 in, play it like a 145 shot because of the uphill and the fact you want to be past the hole anyway, just in case you do catch a ridge or you put spin on it. No one wants to try that third shot from the middle of the hill or lower!

I might be crazy, but I think I'd do about as well as I do on really firm and fast greens. Yes, these have some crazy slopes to them. Yes, they can be devilishly fast. But, it's all about positioning. I'll for sure three putt several times. But, I won't three putt every green. Maybe it's from years of watching where not to hit it or putt from. Like 9 (since I have that day anyway) everyone knows where to hit it for that pin placement. Right of the pin, maybe a touch long and let the slope help bring it to the right level. If you have 130 in, play it like a 145 shot because of the uphill and the fact you want to be past the hole anyway, just in case you do catch a ridge or you put spin on it. No one wants to try that third shot from the middle of the hill or lower!
If only it were that easy wardy haha

Hole 1: Given the Sunday pin, I'd probably land something short of that fairway bunker on the right. Probably 3-wood. That would leave me with a pw or 9i.

Hole 2: Going to probably be hitting 3-wood again as it's more likely I can turn it right to left and shape it off of that fairway bunker. That leaves roughly 270 in. I'll then be laying up with 8i down the left to give a 55* wedge into that right hand hole location.

Hole 3: I think I'd lay back with a hybrid and have a full wedge in. I can't get there with driver so would rather have a full shot in than a partial shot.

Disclaimer: All choices discount wind conditions and assume a calm day

Hole 1: I wouldn't risk the bunker. Not for this short of a hole at 365. I'd go 5w to land at 240 and see how it rolls out. Assuming 15-20 yrds of roll out, leaves me a nice PW or 48 degree wedge back into the green.

Hole 2: Choice is simple off the tee. My normal shot shape is a little draw anyways so I would aim a full driver at the trap and let it draw back. Worst case I hit the trap and punt it out of the trap 100 yards for a 150-170 yrd 3rd shot. Best case, I can take a 5w or 3h and give the green a run in 2. Just can't go right off the tee.

Hole 3: 4i off the tee to 205-210 yrds and take the bunkers out of play. Should leave me a PW or 9i into the green.

If only it were that easy wardy haha

Didn't say flag it every hole or fly it exactly the perfect distance every time. Remember, it was designed to be a second shot golf course. 40ft away but on the right side is better than 15 on the wrong. The lies are going to be near perfect on every shot, and there's enough adrenaline flowing based on location that uh.. Probably not gonna be deceling into too many shots haha

I can tell you now that on 4 and 5, I would probably go double double. 4 basically has a trough you're hitting into, and 5's green is absurd if you're anything but just past center.

Speed is one thing, the slopes are another, but being in the right place on the green is the thing I would have issues with. Try to stop shots on your dinner table or have a guaranteed 3 jack. I'm leaving toward me missing the dinner table.

I chuckle to myself at the people who say they are going to two putt these greens. Dinner tables with severe slopes.

I chuckle to myself at the people who say they are going to two putt these greens. Dinner tables with severe slopes.
Hey, if I'm gonna dream that I'm playing Augusta, I'm gonna dream that I can putt too! :LOL:

Hey @MWard - Do you think it would be a bad idea for an amateur to lay up to a good wedge distance when going into the greens? I'm not sold I could hold the greens with my long irons and chipping has always looked hard. What's your take? Could it keep scores down a bit?

Hey @MWard - Do you think it would be a bad idea for an amateur to lay up to a good wedge distance when going into the greens? I'm not sold I could hold the greens with my long irons and chipping has always looked hard. What's your take? Could it keep scores down a bit?

You know, I would say honestly it's lie and skill dependent. I've been fortunate enough to go twice and actually see the place up and close. Don't get me wrong, it is tight around the greens. But that being said, it's also super consistent. You could just as easily putt it from off the greens if you're that shaky with a wedge in hand, or think you are. You could putt everything with a hybrid if you're afraid of chunking it. You likely won't get it very close to the hole that way, but I mean it is a solution if you're like AHHH!

Laying up though on holes though... I don't know man. I personally feel I'm more likely to do less damage to my score from around the green (assuming not punching out or anything like that) than I am at a situation of like.. Ok, I'm a 5i out. Do I lay up or just hit my 5i?

You know, I would say honestly it's lie and skill dependent. I've been fortunate enough to go twice and actually see the place up and close. Don't get me wrong, it is tight around the greens. But that being said, it's also super consistent. You could just as easily putt it from off the greens if you're that shaky with a wedge in hand, or think you are. You could putt everything with a hybrid if you're afraid of chunking it. You likely won't get it very close to the hole that way, but I mean it is a solution if you're like AHHH!

Laying up though on holes though... I don't know man. I personally feel I'm more likely to do less damage to my score from around the green (assuming not punching out or anything like that) than I am at a situation of like.. Ok, I'm a 5i out. Do I lay up or just hit my 5i?
Well thought out and I like it. I’m probably over thinking my approach. Thanks!

Well thought out and I like it. I’m probably over thinking my approach. Thanks!

No worries. Billable hours invoice coming to PM's, stand by (y)

Playing the Member tees for me:

1. Tea Olive: Using my driver, I would hit a fade aiming left about 225 yards leaving me 140 to the green. With the sand on the left side of the green, I would use an 8i to the right side middle of the green, two-putt for par. Score: Even Par

2. Pink Dogwood: Taking out the big dog aiming for the left side of the fairway as the sand traps at the bend shouldn't be in play for my length. With about 285 left to the green, my best course of action would be to try and get to less than 140 to allow for an 8 or 9i. I would use my 7i to try and play the left side of fairway around the bend, giving me that 130-135 shot I wanted to the green. Although my 9i would probably be enough club, I would go up to an 8i to make sure I got over the front green with the sand traps and reach the back of the green. I might even go 7i again depending on if I was a bit longer than 135 to the middle. If I overshot the green a bit, take out my wedge to chip and then probably a two-putt for a boogie. Scoring: +1

3. Flowering Peach: Looking like a tight short hole, I would use my 3+ wood off the tee, hoping to get through the first section and to the wider fairway leaving about 135-140 to go. The right side looks wide open, so aiming toward the middle to the right side of the green with my trusty 8i. Most likely aiming this area will have me off the green. Another chip, but this one is a good one leaving me only 5 feet from the hole and a one-putt to save par. Scoring: still +1 for the day

A Boy can dream

Driver off 1 boys! #CMonMan Already enough pressure on that 1st tee box, use the club with the biggest face on it! Left in the pine is still doable, bunker is still doable but right of the bunker is dead. The real test comes on the green at one. Ask Ernie.

The sloping fairway on the 2nd is something else. What you think of it from tv, add to it 10x more. Guys aim at that bunker and try and turn it over just slightly. No turn = bunker. Slight turn = going for it. Overturn = praying they stay out of the small creek on the left. But center fairway with that Sunday pin, well, we can all dream about hitting something like this into there.

I don't know what the heck to do on the 3rd hole. Players stand on that tee box and reach for about 3 clubs before they decide on what to do. It's got to tear them up no to hit driver on this hole but the wind direction and pins will make that decision for them a lot of the time. That Sunday pin is flat out mean. Guys can hit great shots and end up over the green and end up scrambling for par. Left fairway is dead. Close to the green is like chipping up onto an ant hill. Sunday pin not a lot of drivers like Rory here:

Any better starting 3 holes in golf? Could have players turning into the par 3 4th hole at -3, -1, E or +3!

From the members' tees:

#1: 3wd and then 9i hopefully
#2: driver, iron and then wedge
#3: 3h or 3wd and then wedge

Hole 1- driver then most likely gap wedge. If I get on it's most likely a 3 putt on those intense greens. If not I like my chance at a chip and 2 putt.

Hole 2 - driver then laying up to 100-105 to take a sand wedge in. Hoping to be on in 3 and most likely a 3 putt or worse.. Those greens scare me..

Hole 3 - using my big tour 3 wood off the tee and either a GW or PW. Same routine on the green.. I'll be praying for a 2 putt but a big number is always possible on those greens.

Have enjoyed reading everyone else’s responses so gonna throw mine down here:

#1- Nerves are real so going with something that I’m confident I can get in the fairway. Will pull my 4i off the tee which should leave me an easy 7i into the green. Given those nerves I mention, I envision hitting the purest 7i of my life and flying the green by 10-15 yards. Chip on to about 20 feet as I’m scared and then likely 3 putt because well Augusta greens! Escape with a 6 and I’m happy in tourney conditions.

#2- Going to pull driver here, not because I’m going for the green in 2 but because I didn’t pull it on the first hole. My normal first drive of the round ends up right, so I’d say I’m about 265 out and pulling my trusty 7i again to layup. I’m giving it about 80% to get me right at 100yds into the green. Easy wedge into the center of the green, followed by a 2 putt par.

#3- Who am I to go against Mr.Hogan? 4i off the tee that goes left and heads toward the fairway bunkers. Never fear I’m not a long hitter so come up short of the bunkers and hit a nice easy PW into the green. Knowing my tendency with my irons, I will push it right and end up with that very fast downhill putt you mention. 3 putt after running one well past the hole and we’re moving on to #4.

What a fun opening day

**Assuming I would be playing from the member tee's & my tee shot would be in the 245-255 range**

1 Tea Olive - Driver to about 250 that would leave me about 165 into the green. Second shot would be a 7iron aiming for the front edge of the green. maybe I get lucky and clear the bunker, but worse case i am right of it and I either have a good look at a long putt or a pitch shot. Probability would be that I am scrambling for par, might get lucky and make a putt, but I expect to leave here with a bogey. +1 thru 1

2 Pink Dogwood - At 515yds it's not that daunting compared to the pros. I would like to think I can fade a drive off the tee and come up short of the bunker. a 250 yd drive would give me a second shot will be too long to reach in two, I would pull the HW and try to get the ball as far down as I could aiming between the bunkers, 3rd shot would probably be in the 65yd range, so a 3/4 54 wedge shot to leave me under the hole. I would like to think birdie will be made, but given the nuance of the Augusta greens, par is more likely. +1 thru 2.

3 Flowering Peach - Easily an underrated hole and pretty intimidating considering what the 2nd shot requires. My aiming point off the tee would be the bunkers and try to fade it. Hopefully this will leave me about 100-90 yards left for my 2nd shot. A 1/2 shot 48* wedge aiming to keep the ball below the hole would be the shot trying to run it up close to the hole. Given the drastic slopes of the green birdie is probably not in the cards, but par should be. +1 thru 3 or worse case +2 thru 3.

Bumping this one up as it's Masters week!

Last year @MWard and @ddec brought previews in segments a few holes at a time and they were so well done.

It's hard to believe this was last year ago. Was so much fun to do, esp working with @MWard throughout that week.

I feel like for the 2022 Masters, @ddec and I should be sent to ANGC to do a real in depth analysis of the course. We could bring the crew similar to how it's done for the PGA Show, and really give everyone the behind the scenes look of the Masters.

Back