Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Hey there THP, how are you doing? Good?

Good.

Welcome to something a little crazy that Ddec and myself sort of came up with for our 'On The Tee Box' podcast on THP Radio, #BagBattles. Now, if you don't know what that means or what it is, check out our show that debuted the idea (here: https://www.thehackersparadise.com/tee-box-volume-7-cobra-connect-honma-golf-mizuno-fitting/) if you've got the time or the curiosity, it was a fun show. For those that don't, here's the rundown, in simplest terms we see a LOT of things come across our desk for reviews but when the dust settles its no different for us than it is for every other THP'er, we want the best equipment for our game in the bag, enter #BagBattles, a place where that journey can be chronicled and shared with all of THP for discussion...or even humor.

Here's the curveball I'm throwing out there to it all though, I think #BagBattles is something for ANYone or EVERYone here on THP. What better way to discuss the journey of your game and bag setup while getting some feedback, help, direction, or whatever else than putting it out there? Personally, I dig the title layout of this one, it makes it easy to find and identify, but that doesn't mean the thread shouldn't be utilized by others. The name of this game is boosting the golf discussion for one and all on the community, and maybe learning some things on the way. Plus, it seems so many long for those head to head comparisons as opposed to focusing just on a single club, so this could be an easy and clean way to do that too every so often. The name of the game is FUN, so lets have some fun, shall we?

The Contenders:

I've gone through pretty much every single driver on the market this season, I've reviewed a few for THP, but more than that I have bought many with my own moolah for the sake of finding what fits me best right now. Will this edition of #BagBattles end my journey? Come on, you all know me better than that, new and shiny is looming. BUT, at this moment in time that fight has come down to the two most popular driver lines on the market right now. So lets meet the contenders, shall we?

20170708_143148-XL.jpg

2017 Taylormade M1 - 12*

I'm a lower launch guy even as a high swing speed player, you'll see that in my numbers here later, so higher loft options attract me, enter the TM M1 12* head. Its nice to see the 12* base (non adjusted) option versus a 13.5* like Callaway offers because being honest the 13.5* thing messes with my head even as a high loft lover. No, that doesn't make sense, but dammit its my brain! Anywho, the M1 is attractive to me because as a tinkerer I love the adjustability it offers on the head more than the adapter and the shifting of the sliding weight tracks this year has made them infinitely more effective in my experience. Over the last month, the M1 had taken over my bag and I will 100% admit I have been in total love with the head. I've hit some incredibly long drives with it and settled into standard loft with the weights set to full draw and all the way back for maximum launch. More than that though, THP'ers have witnessed how comfortable I have been with the '17 M1 and for me with a driver that is a big damn deal.

While the spotlight is on this head for a moment, I want to throw out there that TM has DEFINITELY improved the playability of the M-Series woods this year, they are more forgiving than they were and they in my experience both produce more launch without an increase of spin or sacrifice of feel. That said, I'll also use the stage again to reiterate that I really hope we see TM change their driver face tech soon, they are just so far behind companies like Callaway, Cobra, and even Titleist in that regards that its a shame. Beyond that though, the distance potential in the M1 is big, really big, and to this date for me it is the BEST looking clubhead at address with the two town material look and this year the tweaks to the weight leadiing edge shape makes it just that much sharper to the eye.

So if you enjoy the M1 so much, why do this you might ask? Two-fold answer there. One, I love to tinker. Two, my gosh this makes for some AWESOME potential golf talk on the forum.

Entering the #BagBattles throwdown I had been playing the '17 M1 at 12*, full back, full draw, paired with a THCE Custom shaft (Kevin special) at 45" with my preferred D4 SW.

Callaway Epic - 10.5

First, for those that saw my Tweet yesterday (@Jman_THP :alien:) you'll notice that was a pic of the SZ, whoops, thanks to twitter not allowing edits I couldn't fix it but I picked the wrong pic fro my photo gallery. The SZ is good, but far far far far too fade biased for me.

The Epic needs little introduction or discussion here on THP, or anywhere right now for that matter, but hey, I'm a wordsmith so hang in there with me anyways. It has been a very long while since we have seen a driver with this amount of buzz/hype/whatever and it is the big reason the company has indeed ascended to the top of the mountain in drivers this past year, crazy when you think about where things were just three years ago. That said, as touched on with the M1 segment, I'm a high loft driver guy and i own that, but for the Epic I went 10.5* because the jump all the way to a 13.5* option just wigs me out a bit (personal) so traditionally its an easy change with the Opti-Fit adapter because I can up the loft to the 11.5-12.5 range and still keep the face angle more where I want it, now, for this head to head things were done a little differently there to keep people from crying foul, but I'll get there.

The Epic has a look unto itself and it showcases its technology maybe better than any driver I have seen since the TM R7? From address you get the speed steps and more than that a smack in the face of the Triaxial Carbon used in the crown with the fade paint job. From the bottom, its all about the relocated sliding track to maximize its effectiveness and the visible "rods" near the face of the Jailbreak tech which is often hailed as either revolutionary by some, or hype by others. Facts are, if you find the middle of the face all the time you aren't going to see the real benefits from it, but if you are a mere mortal like myself and many others its everything it claims to be in forgiveness and is going to create a gap from Callaway to other OEM's in my personal opinion. Again on the sole, the Triaxial CF is showcased just like TM with their carbon sole, these are two drivers packed with tech and trying to show it off to the world. How freaking fun is that for us consumers? Really freaking fun.

But James, if you talk up the Epic so much, why did you stop playing it? Again, two-fold. One, I like to tinker (yep, repetitive answer). Two, I personally wanted a change and am of the belief there are GREAT options out there by every single OEM, so why not try them all?

Entering the #BagBattles throwdown I played the Epic at 10.5 N/S, sliding weight neutral, paired with UST Mamiya ATTAS PUNCH at 45" at my preferred D4 SW.

• Staff
The Data

So, for clarity sake to those who like to pick apart every little thing (don't worry, I love you guys too) I want to further explain the setup of the clubs here. Rather than bringing the loft of the '17 M1 up or down from 12* to match the Epic doing the same thing, I elected to leave them both standard there. So, the Epic at 10.5 for a lower launch player could potentially be seen as a disadvantage for me personally versus the 12 of the TM, but its the 'fairest' way I could come up with in my head. Additionally, I know some will yell about the different shafts, well, after the initial recording session on Day 1, I did in fact pull the THCE shaft from the M1 and insert it into the Epic playing, again, at the same 45" and D4 SW just to give those numbers as well. After all, I want it as fair as possible too because for me its a winner take bag #BagBattle.

Now, the MOST important part. ALL data shown here in this thread was recorded using the Foresight GC2 Launch monitor so everyone can "Trust the Data: Its Provided by Foresight". This is the tip of the iceberg for what we are going to be able to do here on THP in the near future, and it is very cool to have Foresight be a part of that.

Where the testing was concerned, Day 1, I hit 45 balls with each driver alternating every 9 swings. From there, after getting home to sort the data, I elected to throw out the worst five outliers which were in my case all absurd and out of the norm misses. Standard misses (heel/toe/high/low) were left in and are represented in the average. Additionally, for each club the two bestrecorded shots will be shown to show how they stand above the average which is altered by the misses of different extremes.

'17 TaylorMade M1 12* w/ THCE Custom Shaft - AVERAGES

Ball Speed: 153 MPH
Launch Angle: 10.9
Spin: 2796 RPM
Peak: 30 Yards
Carry: 251
Offline: 6.5 L
Descent: 37.7*

Callaway Epic 10.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS PUNCH Shaft - AVERAGES
Ball Speed: 157 MPH
Launch Angle: 10.8
Spin: 2557 RPM
Peak: 30 Yards
Carry: 262
Offline: 8.3 L
Descent: 36.8*

So, as we can see there, in all but ONE area, its pretty close. The Epic produced, on average, 4 MPH more ball speed for me with scary close launch (at a lower loft mind you) and that is immediately what stood out to me, and to be honest it is not at all what I expected. Given how I have been playing the M1 on range and course I expected it to outpace the Epic. Yes, its more offline than the M1, but there are at this point different shafts and that was addressed on Day 2 with the THCE shaft being taken from the M1 and installed in the Epic, which in a session of 45 drives, again with the horrible misses (5 of them at least) thrown out and all standard misses left in, this resulted in the following data from the Foresight GC2:

Callaway Epic 10.5* w/ THCE Custom Shaft - AVERAGES
Ball Speed: 157
Launch Angle: 11.2
Spin: 2518 RPM
Peak: 31 Yards
Carry: 263
Offline: 5.7 L
Descent: 37.7*

Now, as you can see, the THCE shaft tightened up the dispersion with the Epic even better than it was in the M1 for me, additionally, the launch increased as well as spin dropping a bit. All told, the ball speed gap alone is responsible for the sizable distance gap. YES, it is key to remember that these are averages and include misses, which I will compare some info on here in a bit as well. What it tells me though is what I already knew scientifically, Jailbreak works, for me at least. I know these aren't "Internet Strong" numbers and I will surely be mocked for not hitting the ball 300 yards as so many do (insert sarcastic alien face here) but they are damn good numbers, and honestly, the #'s of the TM are good too. Neither one showed me they were a "bad" driver. But, for fun, why not take a look at the TWO best strikes recorded for each driver?

'17 TaylorMade M1 12*- TWO BEST SHOTS RECORDED

Shot 1:
Ball Speed: 158 MPH
Launch Angle: 10.2
Spin: 2743 RPM
Peak: 32 Yards
Carry: 263
Descent: 40.1*

Shot 2:
Ball Speed: 157 MPH
Launch Angle: 10.3
Spin: 2620 RPM
Peak: 31 Yards
Carry: 264 Yards
Descent: 38.6

Callaway Epic 10.5* - TWO BEST SHOTS RECORDED

Shot 1:
Ball Speed: 161 MPH
Launch Angle: 11.8
Spin: 2672 RPM
Peak: 33 Yards
Carry: 271
Descent: 38.2*

Shot 2:
Ball Speed: 160 MPH
Launch Angle: 10.6
Spin: 2799
Peak: 33 Yards
Carry: 269
Descent: 39.0*

What does this tell me? Well, first is that on the best strikes both drivers for me are again eerily close in all but one area, ball speed. I couldn't get the M1 into the 160's, which is fine if all the other numbers work out and in this case the launch is lower than the Epic which is a lower lofted clubhead as well. Could I loft up the M1 and help there? For sure. But my whole point with this was to find out FOR ME PERSONALLY which one in standard settings offered the most, an the ball speed increase with a launch increase tell me a LOT personally, because I know I can also loft up the Epic and potentially get even more out of it as well.

Advantage? Epic.

What about forgiveness though? Well, I combed through some of those numbers form the Foresight GC2 as well and in doing so marked 5 toe side misses and 5 heel side misses to look at the ball speed of, because for me that is the name of the game on misses and after all, its what one of these drivers (Epic) is hanging its hat on this year technology wise. Here is what I saw:

Toe Side Miss - AVERAGE - Epic was +1.7 MPH on the '17 M1
Heel Side Miss - AVERAGE - Epic was +5 MPH on the '17 M1

I have to admit, even though I thought entering this that the M1 would win out, this is the area I did actually expect the Epic to win out on, because as I have been very very vocal of the last two year no matter how much I have enjoyed the TaylorMade drivers the face tech, in my personal opinion, is just not up to snuff as others, particularly on the heel.

Parting Take:

Well, what can I say other than as a reviewer I know that the numbers don't lie. Because of that, where the #BagBattles are concerned, the Callaway Epic takes the spot in my bag right now. In the end, I cannot overlook the ball speed differences and potential, if the dispersion was widely different, then maybe but with the THCE Custom shaft being moved over the Epic actually improved there beyond the M1 as well. Does this mean I won't still tinker with other drivers that release (and even the '17 M1)? Heck no, you all know me better than that, but what it does mean is that for me this particular #BagBattles iteration has been decided.

I do want to discuss a few things that I know some will point to or bring up in here, and this section will tell me who actually read through all of this post or not, I'm sly like that. I know that some will point to the spin as being high and the launch being too low, what is overlooked though on the internet is that for a low ball hitter, spin is a friend, and additionally swing-speed and thusly ball-speed matter as well in what works for an individual. Take me and my numbers, would I like more launch? Yes, I'll always seek that out, but in that high 10* to 11-12* realm the ball speeds I tend to see when the spin stays in that 2500-2800 realm it helps maximize distance potential which can always been seen for me in the peak height that I am producing, hitting 30+ yards means it is a ball that though low compared to some on launch will still play and TRAVEL around the country. Remember, there is more than one way to skin a cat and for the love of everything spin in the upper 2,000's IS NOT HIGH SPIN!!! For the majority of us in fact, its a good place to be, and for slower swingers even the 3k's is a good place to be. Those who can benefit from and play sub 2,000's are the minority, but we are on the internet so the minority is the majority, right?

I really hope this stirs some conversation, I want it to, I want thoughts and comments along with discussion. We need that, golf is fun, and golf talk is even MORE fun! So THP, the #BagBattles have begun, and I truly hope that for ALL of us, they have only just begun. Let's have some fun!

Very fun writeup! I hope #bagbattles catches on, as this could be fun AF!

• Staff
Sorry all, had to split it into two posts to get it to fit. Rundown is in post one, data in post two.

Well that was pretty damn thorough if you ask me. But your spin is clearly too high hehe

And yes I read the whole thing #BagBattles

Very nice Jman!

I love these type of hard data comparisons and I really appreciate the amount of time that must have taken to not only do but then write it all down for us. Looking at those numbers I'd say the Epic is the clear winner for you! That's just way too much ball speed to leave on the table, and for me personally it's why I had to go back to my old driver.

Hard to turn down 4 MPH more ball speed on average, and even harder to turn down the ball speed retention on mishits.

Also, I'd take those numbers all day, especially that spin. Like you said, anything in that range is right where you want to be!

• Staff
Well that was pretty damn thorough if you ask me. But your spin is clearly too high hehe

And yes I read the whole thing #BagBattles

You #InternetGolfer

Very nice Jman!

I love these type of hard data comparisons and I really appreciate the amount of time that must have taken to not only do but then write it all down for us. Looking at those numbers I'd say the Epic is the clear winner for you! That's just way too much ball speed to leave on the table, and for me personally it's why I had to go back to my old driver.

Thanks man, it was, but its a ton of fun and really showcases the potential for the future.

Best takeaway for me personally though is that it does show just how both are easily playable/gameable for me, but you are right, the ball speed is too much for me personally (mentally) to leave on the table after finding out about it now lol. More than that, the retention shined through.

I'm still battling with my iPad and app a bit or I'd have thrown in some of the very cool screenshots, but there will be time and places for that in the future!

Thank you for sharing your test. Awesome idea, great breakdown. That Epic fits you very well Jman. I'd kill for either set of numbers.

Thank you for sharing your test. Awesome idea, great breakdown. That Epic fits you very well Jman. I'd kill for either set of numbers.

Exactly! Its not about one being a better club than the other IMO when it comes to #BagBattles, its all about what is best for the person having the battle!

This is awesome stuff. Talk about forgiveness across the face

Exactly! Its not about one being a better club than the other IMO when it comes to #BagBattles, its all about what is best for the person having the battle!

It is about personal choice, but some of those attributes are not "fitting" attributes. They dont change person to person really. People can like or not like it and that is the beauty of this, they can conduct on their own and we look forward to the data, or come to any THP Event and try for themselves.

It is about personal choice, but some of those attributes are not "fitting" attributes. They dont change person to person really. People can like or not like it and that is the beauty of this, they can conduct on their own and we look forward to the data, or come to any THP Event and try for themselves.

Agreed totally, especially when we are talking things like ball speed on misses. There are two clear technological and ideological design differences at work here, and they certainly yield different results!

Can we go off on a tangent for a second?

Decent angles: what is considered optimal? Is 40 steep, shallow, optimal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Really great writeup Jman! I enjoyed reading it. I hope #BagBattles continue

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

40 is pretty good, I think?

40 is pretty good, I think?
I've always been told and read from people smarter than I that 37.5 is the range to shoot for to maximize both roll and carry. Obviously, higher decent means more carry and less roll, and lower means more roll and less carry.

Good stuff.

I had a chance to test my Epic and 16 M1 on GC2 several months back and didn't really see much different in ball speed. The difference for me though has been out on the course. The forgiveness in the Epic is just awesome. Since then I have changed shafts and pretty much found optimal numbers for my swing and conditions I play in. Has killed any urge to tinker with anything else.

I've always been told and read from people smarter than I that 37.5 is the range to shoot for to maximize both roll and carry. Obviously, higher decent means more carry and less roll, and lower means more roll and less carry.

Thank you

That was a lot of fun to read! Thanks for doing the research and starting the thread, I really hope this takes off.

That's a great question, because we start to hear more and more about descent angle, but it never really gets talked about for what it means and what's in an optimal range.
Yeah that sounds right with what I've been told in the past. Of course mine comes in around 90 hehe actually I think my last session I was seeing a bunch in the 38-42 range.

How much of this changes with identical shafts and lofts? Probably a little but not significantly I would guess.

Spin/launch.....not two swingers need the same thing for optimal conditions.

Ball speeds are a tell all to a degree. I can smash the hill out of a ball but if my face is open or closed it just means it's going deeper into the sh!t.

I appreciate your efforts putting this together Jman

That's a great question, because we start to hear more and more about descent angle, but it never really gets talked about for what it means and what's in an optimal range.

Yeah that sounds right with what I've been told in the past. Of course mine comes in around 90 hehe actually I think my last session I was seeing a bunch in the 38-42 range.

35-40 is considered optimal, but geography, plays a role here and of course it will change as other numbers change.
That is why its important to start with constants. Ball speed, spin (meaning different heads produce different spin areas). Obviously spin to a lesser degree by a huge margin.
Then fit to launch, peak and AD.

Damn that was a lot of goodness in those 2 posts. Great info and I would be curious what M2 would look like compared to the Standard sub zero you have, but I think the fact that Epic won out on best hits answers some of what I would wonder.

Thanks for sharing all this!

Back