'17 TaylorMade M1 Driver vs Callaway Epic - #BagBattles - Jman

I think you could play either, you could probably get on with the faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaade bias of the SZ, for me its just a no-no. lol

The SZ has definitely challenged my draw/hook tendencies. Just have to trust it more, and aim at the left side of my target to play the straight/ fade.

Thanks!

Honestly, I'm not sure there is. The shaft in it now is literally built for lunatics like me thanks to Kevin last year at the Hand Crafted Experience, super stiff in the butt section for an overly aggressive swinger, but softer in the tip because they need more launch.

Haha... yeah lunatic about sums it up. :D

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Honestly, I'm not sure there is. The shaft in it now is literally built for lunatics like me thanks to Kevin last year at the Hand Crafted Experience, super stiff in the butt section for an overly aggressive swinger, but softer in the tip because they need more launch.

You may be right. For others reading it's just worth noting that this is the next step in the process advocated by all the Top 100 fitters I know. First they find the best head and settings, then find the best shaft for that head.

For me, it would. But, only if the head giving the better numbers had some sort of turn off for me. In this case, the Epic doesn't have that so I'm at comfort standing over the ball, but I do still personally prefer the look of the M1.

People will have different answers to this question. For me, I really am results-oriented. I couldn't care less what it looks like as long as it performs. Had a full bag fitting just last month and told the fitter that up front. You'd have thought Christmas came early. This is obviously what they like to hear, because they aren't limited. But again, for some people the looks really matter.

Is there really anything to "combat" though? I honestly don't believe anything in the test was taking away from the uniqueness, in fact, that is what I was intent on getting across in the first post. Anyone can have one of these #BagBattles, and they should. It isn't about best, its about what it going on for one person and one swing type while also having some hard and wide covering performance results in there as well. It stirs conversation and attention to golf, and that is a win for everyone.

combat/compare was my intent. Kind of joining in on the fun as I've got fairly similar options at my disposal.

Jman, thanks for the excellent write up and testing. Do to reading your battle I tried lofting up and had amazing results, some of it was better swings, but I never realized adding loft could actually improve things so much.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Jman, thanks for the excellent write up and testing. Do to reading your battle I tried lofting up and had amazing results, some of it was better swings, but I never realized adding loft could actually improve things so much.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Thank you Jim!

Its all about maximizing what you're working with naturally, ya know? A little loft can go a long way for some, literally. Hahahaha

People will have different answers to this question. For me, I really am results-oriented. I couldn't care less what it looks like as long as it performs. Had a full bag fitting just last month and told the fitter that up front. You'd have thought Christmas came early. This is obviously what they like to hear, because they aren't limited. But again, for some people the looks really matter.

I don't want to thread jack too far, but think this side convo works in the spirit of JMan's initial post. For the most part I agree with your post, but over the last year I must admit to being more cognizant of the club's sound. In the past I know I could have played off-sounding clubs but now I walk past hitting bays and particular noises really catch my attention. Club manufacturers create such good performing heads, I don't think I could make a sacrifice on the sound any more.

Your approach surely will work best in terms of getting a great fit - as little restraints as possible is def the way to go.

Thank you Jim!

Its all about maximizing what you're working with naturally, ya know? A little loft can go a long way for some, literally. Hahahaha
I lofted up today. To 8 degrees. Oh yeah haha

Oh just you wait. There's a storm brewing Mr. Miles.
You're on deck for #BagBattles, I believe the bar has been set sir.

On topic as well, will be taking the setup to the course for 36 tomorrow. Will be tracking off the tee on a fee holes to come in and update with on course data for those curious if it'll translate or not.

You're on deck for #BagBattles, I believe the bar has been set sir.

On topic as well, will be taking the setup to the course for 36 tomorrow. Will be tracking off the tee on a fee holes to come in and update with on course data for those curious if it'll translate or not.
Numbers are always good, but going from the range or testing enviornment to the course is at times very different. Looking forward to see how it plays out.

Just seeing this thread! Man I hope the bag battles continue! This was an awesome side by side comparison based on real numbers and not subjective factors! I honestly wasn't sure which would come out on top. Cool to see it was the Epic and mainly because of what is advertised from Jailbreak technology...ball speed increases and forgiveness. Great stuff James! This is flat out one of the best comparisons I've ever seen!

Just seeing this thread! Man I hope the bag battles continue! This was an awesome side by side comparison based on real numbers and not subjective factors! I honestly wasn't sure which would come out on top. Cool to see it was the Epic and mainly because of what is advertised from Jailbreak technology...ball speed increases and forgiveness. Great stuff James! This is flat out one of the best comparisons I've ever seen!
They will certainly continue, and like I said in the OP, I think its an idea for everyone and something anyone can do!

They will certainly continue, and like I said in the OP, I think its an idea for everyone and something anyone can do!
It absolutely is. It's part of the reason we Incorporated it #OnTheTeeBox and now here. It's fun, can be informative, and let's be honest it doesn't NEED to be as in-depth because we know not everyone has the same tools ready to go. But we all get clubs that we like and then something pulls us in a different direction. What a great way to go through the process right?

I'd love to jump in on bag battles but I can't see it being very thought providing without launch monitor numbers to go with it.
Over the winter I'll jump in when I spend lots of time on Trackman.

It absolutely is. It's part of the reason we Incorporated it #OnTheTeeBox and now here. It's fun, can be informative, and let's be honest it doesn't NEED to be as in-depth because we know not everyone has the same tools ready to go. But we all get clubs that we like and then something pulls us in a different direction. What a great way to go through the process right?
Precisely.

And thus, #BagBattles were born!

Missed this yesterday, but glad I caught up today. What a great idea and thread. Thoroughly enjoyed the read. I love head to head comparisons with data, and yes, they often result in surprises. That's part of what makes it fun. I'm looking forward to seeing how things work out on course tomorrow, Jman,

Missed this yesterday, but glad I caught up today. What a great idea and thread. Thoroughly enjoyed the read. I love head to head comparisons with data, and yes, they often result in surprises. That's part of what makes it fun. I'm looking forward to seeing how things work out on course tomorrow, Jman,
Thanks Ken!

Jman Thanks so much for the effort and the write up. I have a question as to the testing process. As this test was performed at a range (I assume), were the balls used in this test actual range balls or your everyday gamer? If they were range balls were they all of the same brand/type (i.e. Pinnacle/Top Flite/Callaway practice balls) or a mishmash of assorted balls that find their way into the range bucket? If they were your everyday gamer, would you mind disclosing that info?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

This is great. I have the same battle going on in my bag right now. I have an EPIC 10.5 and a 17 M2 12* fighting over a place in the bag. I like the look of the M2 over the EPIC, played 18 Saturday with the EPIC in the Bag and 18 Sunday with the M2 in the bag, Shot 84 on Saturday and 84 on Sunday so you can see it makes a huge difference in my game!! I just cant make up my mind!!! I need to put a TM tip on my GD AD DI 6 so I can hit that in the M2 to get a real apples to apples test, I have been using a HZRDUS Yellow (non-handcrafted) in the M2 I do like the feel of that shaft in the EPIC.

Jman Thanks so much for the effort and the write up. I have a question as to the testing process. As this test was performed at a range (I assume), were the balls used in this test actual range balls or your everyday gamer? If they were range balls were they all of the same brand/type (i.e. Pinnacle/Top Flite/Callaway practice balls) or a mishmash of assorted balls that find their way into the range bucket? If they were your everyday gamer, would you mind disclosing that info?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Our driving range uses real (non-range) Titleist golf balls (which is absurdly silly because people pocket them, but thats for another time and place).

I game the B330-S, no problem disclosing that as I have been extremely vocal about that ball on the forum for some time. That is what I used on the course today with the Epic, and I'll sort through that data tonight, hopefully to get it up tomorrow. Suffice to say, the averages at eyeball are right on par with what I saw on range.

You guys have stepped up the review with the use of the launch monitor. Nothing beats data. Haven't read past the first 2 posts but do you have your average swing speed numbers as well? Curious if the ball speed is coming from a better smash factor or something else.

Back