'17 TaylorMade M1 Driver vs Callaway Epic - #BagBattles - Jman

Really enjoyed this Jman. Sounded like the Foresight GC2 got a good workout. I see a lot of good info coming from having that monitor during your testing.
I personally think you chose the best club choices to start the #bagbattle with. Big names, big reputation, lots of talk about each. This was fun to see which came out on top for your swing.

Love this idea and thread. My takeaway is that both drivers are solid options and you are swinging it well these days. My desire to do a driver fitting and in particular for the Epic is only increased after reading this as I feel like I'm leaving yards on the table right now.

Thank you Jman. Very informative and entertaining posts.

I recently conducted a #bagbattle between Epic and XR. Epic has a UST Helium staff (w/ THP logo) and I thought it would crush the XR. Unfortunately, I just couldn't get the Epic to work for me. Wish I had similar technology and could review the data. My crude results included feel and range flags. I let a friend (scratch player) use the Epic today. His current driver is a M1. Based on a brief range session and course performance, Epic has the advantage for him too.

I listened to On The Tee Box, Volume 7 and will be listening to future episodes. Great stuff!!!

This was a fantastic comparison James. I really enjoyed reading it. Crazy that the Epic was 10 yards carry better with the balls speeds.

I also think it's very interesting that the heads are different lofts, yet your numbers were so close.

I had trouble getting ball speed up when I demoed the TM M line as well.

I look forward to more of these.

Thats good data and a solid test for a driver. If you can carry it 260 with the spin numbers provided its going to roll out to 285 on a good fairway. A lot of people would be surprised if they looked up the tour average in driving. Its only 290.3yds. Most people are fooled to think its way over 300yds. Good numbers, happy golfing.

Very nice. I just had a bag battle of my own. Originally this year the Epic SZ beat the M1 2017 for me on the monitor. I thought I was set too until I tried the new M2. It beat the Epic SZ handily due to forgiveness, lower launch and decent angle. Its also much easier to turn over and keep straight for me. I was really surprised an 9.5* could do that to the 9* Epic SZ. I have even turned the M2 up to over 10* to get better carry. This thread has me wondering though about the regular Epic. Just like the M2, I never tried a regular Epic in any of my original testing. I may have missed out. The ability to adjust the sliding weight and a bit more draw bias could certainly help and I know jailbreak is real. I guess that's the next shiny thing for me.

Dang JMan, first you brought me back to the i200s and now this....

That was outstanding. I really love comparisons like this. Can't wait to see some future battles.

Great write up Jman and really solid numbers. In looking at the numbers it seems that both clubs would suit you fine. That increase in ball speed however is hard to pass up. Will be looking forward to more #BagBattles.

Love that everyone is enjoying this, I just also hope that everyone knows there's no agenda with these, it's all about what the person having the battle sees, and in my case what the numbers say. Numbers don't lie!
Anybody reading an agenda into it probably has their own agenda! Two super awesome posts: well written, well presented and fantastic analysis. Excellent work.

Am I the only one who thinks 30yd peak is not a low ball? :D I know pros hit it 100-130 feet high but come on...

Thank you Jman. Very informative and entertaining posts.

I recently conducted a #bagbattle between Epic and XR. Epic has a UST Helium staff (w/ THP logo) and I thought it would crush the XR. Unfortunately, I just couldn't get the Epic to work for me. Wish I had similar technology and could review the data. My crude results included feel and range flags. I let a friend (scratch player) use the Epic today. His current driver is a M1. Based on a brief range session and course performance, Epic has the advantage for him too.

I listened to On The Tee Box, Volume 7 and will be listening to future episodes. Great stuff!!!
Like you, I haven't gotten the Epic to work for me either...and I don't like the sound/feel as much as the GBB unfortunately. Still trying to find a good shaft for me though. Need to try the Fuji and Aldila probably.

I also think it's very interesting that the heads are different lofts, yet your numbers were so close.

I look forward to more of these.
I was very intrigued by the closeness of the numbers with the different lofts too! And definitely excited for more #BagBattles, especially if they are as good as this one.

Last edited:
Loved it Jman. This is exactly the kind of investigation and data I seek out for my own game. Heads, adjustments, shaft and the player's swing are all significant variables that need to be taken into account in a good fitting. You've really shined a light on the value of this kind of investigation and how much today's top launch monitors have moved things forward.

BTW, I know you are playing with the shaft you had in the M1. I can't help but wonder if there is a little more you could squeeze out of this if you explored other shafts with the Callaway head.

I personally have become absolutely sold on the value of a comprehensive fitting of this type, because like you, I've seen the difference it makes.

Nice writeup Jman. I'm curious, how did you pick these two drivers. Were they your favorites or did you know they had the best numbers?

Great read.

It's got my interested in doing my own #BagBattle, currently gaming the 917 D2 and have done so for 7 months. I did try the 2016 M2 when I was fitted but the 917 came out on top this was about 2 weeks before the EPIC came out. It's impossible to ignore the hype around the EPIC so maybe it's time to compare.

JMan,
Would the aesthetics sway you towards the M driver if the #s were closer? Say you're losing 3 yards instead but feel more comfortable looking down at the white & carbon crown...

Or would it be about eeking every last yard?

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Loved it Jman. This is exactly the kind of investigation and data I seek out for my own game. Heads, adjustments, shaft and the player's swing are all significant variables that need to be taken into account in a good fitting. You've really shined a light on the value of this kind of investigation and how much today's top launch monitors have moved things forward.

BTW, I know you are playing with the shaft you had in the M1. I can't help but wonder if there is a little more you could squeeze out of this if you explored other shafts with the Callaway head.

I personally have become absolutely sold on the value of a comprehensive fitting of this type, because like you, I've seen the difference it makes.
Thanks!

Honestly, I'm not sure there is. The shaft in it now is literally built for lunatics like me thanks to Kevin last year at the Hand Crafted Experience, super stiff in the butt section for an overly aggressive swinger, but softer in the tip because they need more launch.
Nice writeup Jman. I'm curious, how did you pick these two drivers. Were they your favorites or did you know they had the best numbers?
Top two driver brands on the market from the perspective of most golfers, so it only made sense to me.
Great read.

It's got my interested in doing my own #BagBattle, currently gaming the 917 D2 and have done so for 7 months. I did try the 2016 M2 when I was fitted but the 917 came out on top this was about 2 weeks before the EPIC came out. It's impossible to ignore the hype around the EPIC so maybe it's time to compare.
Do it! This is something that we really hope could spur more golf conversation!
JMan,
Would the aesthetics sway you towards the M driver if the #s were closer? Say you're losing 3 yards instead but feel more comfortable looking down at the white & carbon crown...

Or would it be about eeking every last yard?

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
For me, it would. But, only if the head giving the better numbers had some sort of turn off for me. In this case, the Epic doesn't have that so I'm at comfort standing over the ball, but I do still personally prefer the look of the M1.

Good stuff James. Having played with you a few weeks ago and as consistently and straight as you hit the M1 that day, I've always thought you could be longer than what you are. Now, that's funny for a lot of guys reading that seeing a high swing speed and carry around 260ish to hear this sort of comment, I know. But I think it's true! The hard part in finding more distance is that you don't give up that consistency you had before. Appears you may have eked out a few more mph's and yds now!

I think a lot of us here will be enjoying these #BagBattles upcoming!

Good stuff James. Having played with you a few weeks ago and as consistently and straight as you hit the M1 that day, I've always thought you could be longer than what you are. Now, that's funny for a lot of guys reading that seeing a high swing speed and carry around 260ish to hear this sort of comment, I know. But I think it's true! The hard part in finding more distance is that you don't give up that consistency you had before. Appears you may have eked out a few more mph's and yds now!

I think a lot of us here will be enjoying these #BagBattles upcoming!

I'll be interested to see how this stands up over time. Your comment about consistency is the key here. That was the issue with the SZ for me.

I'll be interested to see how this stands up over time. Your comment about consistency is the key here. That was the issue with the SZ for me.

FWIW, the dispersion on the Epic actually got tighter than that of the M1 for me when the #THCE shaft was moved over. On course the last two days, I saw it translate too.

This coming week I have 8 rounds scheduled, so we will see if that keep sup or not, I suspect it will.

Awesome work dude. 2 great options for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great read and great data, Jman! I wonder what that same comparison between the M1 and Epic would show for us old, slow swingers!

Solid info in here. Has me wondering about an SZ versus Epic for my own swing.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

That was an impressive read and I love the idea of seeing more threads like these. Well done sir.

I am really shocked by the numbers, but it kind of invigorates me. Not so much the off center hits, but on the button I had thought that TaylorMade was still tops in the hands of many.

Makes me want to run some numbers this week and try to combat the conversation to show the uniqueness of every golfer.

Quite the awesome write up there. Very thorough and had me soaking up every word. Pretty cool to be able to have a launch monitor and do comparisons like this. Thank you for taking the time to write it all up and share with us!

I am really shocked by the numbers, but it kind of invigorates me. Not so much the off center hits, but on the button I had thought that TaylorMade was still tops in the hands of many.

Makes me want to run some numbers this week and try to combat the conversation to show the uniqueness of every golfer.

Is there really anything to "combat" though? I honestly don't believe anything in the test was taking away from the uniqueness, in fact, that is what I was intent on getting across in the first post. Anyone can have one of these #BagBattles, and they should. It isn't about best, its about what it going on for one person and one swing type while also having some hard and wide covering performance results in there as well. It stirs conversation and attention to golf, and that is a win for everyone.

Awesome work dude. 2 great options for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks dude. And you are absolutely right, two very solid options.

Great read and great data, Jman! I wonder what that same comparison between the M1 and Epic would show for us old, slow swingers!

Thanks Phil! Glad you enjoyed it, it was a lot of fun to do and certainly has the testing fire stoked once again!

Solid info in here. Has me wondering about an SZ versus Epic for my own swing.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I think you could play either, you could probably get on with the faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaade bias of the SZ, for me its just a no-no. lol

That was an impressive read and I love the idea of seeing more threads like these. Well done sir.

Thanks Erik! I hope its something that takes off! Easy and fun conversation!

Quite the awesome write up there. Very thorough and had me soaking up every word. Pretty cool to be able to have a launch monitor and do comparisons like this. Thank you for taking the time to write it all up and share with us!

Glad you enjoyed it my friend!

Back