2012 Player of Year - What Say You?

Although majors are more important than regular stops on tour, they don't count as two wins for me. I don't know for sure, but when was the last time somebody won 3 times on tour? Also, it matters more to me because it is Tiger. His wins were/are big stories. And he is the biggest story every week, right or wrong that facotrs in for me.

I agree with this. 3 wins is always better than 2 for me. I think either Tigger or Rory will win a Fed Ex Cup event though, so that will likely decide it.

I agree with this. 3 wins is always better than 2 for me. I think either Tigger or Rory will win a Fed Ex Cup event though, so that will likely decide it.

So based on this, someone winning the St. Jude, the Transitions and the John Deere, would be ahead of someone winning the Masters and the US Open.
That might be the most ridiculous thing I have heard in this entire conversation.

I'd have to put Rory and Tiger neck and neck at this point, perhaps with Rory having a slight edge due to more top 10 finishes and the major.

Both have struggled at a few events, but that's normal for anybody in the field. I also think that 3 missed cuts close together are better than Tiger's on-again-off-again striped pattern. I also can't forgive a Thursday withdrawal.

Well I'm glad that you guys have your opinions, unfortunately I disagree with them. I guess I view Majors much differently than a lot of you.

I bet if you asked TW he would say Rory because he won a major.

Don't forget how Rory has played in those WGC events as well. 2nd, 3rd, and 5th. TW, 32, WD, 8.

Although majors are more important than regular stops on tour, they don't count as two wins for me. I don't know for sure, but when was the last time somebody won 3 times on tour? Also, it matters more to me because it is Tiger. His wins were/are big stories. And he is the biggest story every week, right or wrong that facotrs in for me.

Last time someone had 3 wins on tour: Furyk in 2010, including Tour Championship.

Yes, majors mean more than "regular" tour wins. Give me Rory right now over Tiger for POY if I had to choose, but it will be decided by the Fedex Cup.

I'd have to put Rory and Tiger neck and neck at this point, perhaps with Rory having a slight edge due to more top 10 finishes and the major.

Both have struggled at a few events, but that's normal for anybody in the field. I also think that 3 missed cuts close together are better than Tiger's on-again-off-again striped pattern. I also can't forgive a Thursday withdrawal.

You mean he didn't WD when he was in contention? :alien:

Last time someone had 3 wins on tour: Furyk in 2010, including Tour Championship.

Yes, majors mean more than "regular" tour wins. Give me Rory right now over Tiger for POY if I had to choose, but it will be decided by the Fedex Cup.

And this is precisely where I stand.

I just really can't give it to Rory.

Tiger has three victories and, in his last three tournaments (two of which were majors) he finished T3, T8, and T11. Tiger's wins are all in tournaments with a strong field. Sure, they are at courses he has traditionally dominated but, well, that's just part of the game.

And, even though they've both missed a few cuts, Rory was absolutely AWFUL for a stretch. Awful. It's not like Tiger played terribly at the Greenbrier - he just didn't score. He played even par golf. At the Wells Fargo, Tiger played even par gar. He just barely missed the cut. He didn't play awful golf, he played average golf. Rory was just flat out bad for a long stretch of time.

I don't know. I just really don't think I have Rory in my top three right now. I would give it to Tiger right now. I'd give it to Dufner before Rory.

Here's a question: could Ernie Els play himself into this discussion?

Think some here need to talk to tour players if they think majors don't count for more.

Sent from my HTC One X

This has been a good discussion but there is still lots of golf left before we decided who the player of the year is. I think we have about 5 guys who right now have a shot at it, and let the Fedex cup decide it all.

Can I say I'm also really enjoying the Fedex cup now?

You mean he didn't WD when he was in contention? :alien:

I should have been more specific. I thought that his withdrawal from the Greenbrier was childish and unprofessional. Had it been due to injury, that would have been understandable. He got his appearance fee, played poorly, and went home with his tail between his legs. I thought he should have taken his medicine and played through Friday.

Of course Ernie could play himself into contention. So could Bubba, Hunter, and Dufner. You must hate Rory, LOL

I should have been more specific. I thought that his withdrawal from the Greenbrier was childish and unprofessional. Had it been due to injury, that would have been understandable. He got his appearance fee, played poorly, and went home with his tail between his legs. I thought he should have taken his medicine and played through Friday.

I agree.

I don't see how anyone could give it to Duffner over Rory. Sorry I just don't see that at all. Not at this point in time.

I agree with Breezy. Right now the list for in contention would be:

Rory
Tiger
Ernie
Dufner

Of course Ernie could play himself into contention. So could Bubba, Hunter, and Dufner. You must hate Rory, LOL

I'm admittedly not a big Rory fan at all. I'm trying to stay unbiased though. But it's tough.

I just can't get some of that absolutely ugly golf out of my mind that he played for a few months. Ugly.

This has been a good discussion but there is still lots of golf left before we decided who the player of the year is. I think we have about 5 guys who right now have a shot at it, and let the Fedex cup decide it all.

Can I say I'm also really enjoying the Fedex cup now?

That's what makes this so great. Just builds on top of the excitement leading up to the FedEx Cup.

Sent from my HTC One X

I think anyone could play themselves into contention. Still plenty of events left. If someone with a win already gets another or someone with two even gets one, I think they have a really good shot at it. Especially if they win the Tour Championship and the Fed Ex Cup.

I just really can't give it to Rory.

Tiger has three victories and, in his last three tournaments (two of which were majors) he finished T3, T8, and T11. Tiger's wins are all in tournaments with a strong field. Sure, they are at courses he has traditionally dominated but, well, that's just part of the game.

And, even though they've both missed a few cuts, Rory was absolutely AWFUL for a stretch. Awful. It's not like Tiger played terribly at the Greenbrier - he just didn't score. He played even par golf. At the Wells Fargo, Tiger played even par gar. He just barely missed the cut. He didn't play awful golf, he played average golf. Rory was just flat out bad for a long stretch of time.

I don't know. I just really don't think I have Rory in my top three right now. I would give it to Tiger right now. I'd give it to Dufner before Rory.

Here's a question: could Ernie Els play himself into this discussion?

Sure, 3 missed cuts in 4 appearances is a bad stretch. Weigh that against Tiger's 2 cuts and a WD stretched over a longer period of time, and what's the tipping point? Rory had a bad month. Tiger has been back and forth all season, to the point of it being a predictable joke.

I'm admittedly not a big Rory fan at all. I'm trying to stay unbiased though. But it's tough.

I just can't get some of that absolutely ugly golf out of my mind that he played for a few months. Ugly.

Well, Tiger played ugly golf to. But you seem to ignore that. It's ok. We all like who we like and don't like who we don't.

Remember when Rory went 3 straight starts and his finishes were 2, 1, 3 against overly strong fields?

I'd like to submit SW for player of the year. He was 4-0 in the MC.

I'm confused, who did that this year at the Greenbriar?

Back