2013 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's very encouraging. I love the feeling of being sore, it's instant feedback that I am working hard. I was worried about the space issue, I don't have a ton of room to run around here so that's also good to know I don't need a ton of space. The thing I didn't like about the P90X is that I didn't have the room for it, and I had to constantly pause the DVD so I could set up the cords in the door jam, or get the resistance bands set up. The reason I love yoga so much is because it's just using my body weight, I think that's why Insanity has already intrigued me.

Thanks for the info, I think this might be my new goal post Thanksgiving.

Good, I hope you do it and look forward to your thoughts. Honestly, if you are doing it alone your living room would be more than enough space I would bet. You are mostly moving in place. I tried P90x, but for the reasons you described I never finished it. I hated having to setup that stuff

This is a pretty cool thread idea.

Insanity > P90X in my opinion. We have 2 sets of discs (I used one set while travelling on the road), so if anyone is interested in trying it and updating this thread with their progress, shoot me a PM.

I may or may not have insanity workouts in my possession as well.. They are very different from P90x but I think the coach in there is much more tolerable.

They are definitely both excellent workouts if you actually take the time to do them. I'd say the hardest part about them is that they are designed for cycled workouts, so you're not really getting eased into the process.. It's more of a 'do as much as you can' style, which can definitely be discouraging.

I think my winter plans need to include one of these workouts. Maybe I'll actually buy the insanity discs instead of using my laptop haha

I may or may not have insanity workouts in my possession as well.. They are very different from P90x but I think the coach in there is much more tolerable.

They are definitely both excellent workouts if you actually take the time to do them. I'd say the hardest part about them is that they are designed for cycled workouts, so you're not really getting eased into the process.. It's more of a 'do as much as you can' style, which can definitely be discouraging.

I think my winter plans need to include one of these workouts. Maybe I'll actually buy the insanity discs instead of using my laptop haha

Do it my COD brother. I love all the talk about using this workout. I however think that the guy on P90x is hilarious because he is so cheesy haha. Shawn T from insanity is just mean

Do it my COD brother. I love all the talk about using this workout. I however think that the guy on P90x is hilarious because he is so cheesy haha. Shawn T from insanity is just mean

I think that's my problem with P90x.. The dude is a total cheeseball. At least the Insanity dude is a bit intense.

I think that's my problem with P90x.. The dude is a total cheeseball. At least the Insanity dude is a bit intense.

haha I used to laugh during that workout. The guy from insanity is absolutely intense. He keeps me motivated for sure.

Dude is a cheeseball, but that really didnt bother me. I just thought it took too long with too many repetitive movements for my liking. Insanity was a much better return on time investment for me.

Dude is a cheeseball, but that really didnt bother me. I just thought it took too long with too many repetitive movements for my liking. Insanity was a much better return on time investment for me.

Yeah buddy, that dude wore me out..

I think it's high time I get back into my running schedule. No more days of it being 'too hot' to get out there. In fact, it's practically perfect running weather out here.

Let me know if you do, I have them to do as well, you can borrow them though

Finding time, that's the hardest part for me.

Theres an Anytime Fitness across the street from my neighborhood, but its expensive for me and g/f to both be a member. Theres a place called Planet Fitness that is 10 bucks a month, but its 15 or 20 minutes away from our place, but right next to mine and hers work. Problem is that my g/f and I both kind of need the motovation from each other to get going but we work different schedules so even that becomes difficult. Why does this have to be so hard...

I have a question regarding breakfast. How important is it, and what is the ideal breakfast? Also what is the ideal portion size?

It is really THE most important. It sets the tone for the rest of the day. Honestly, anything is better than nothing. Ideally, you want a good mix of proteins, carbs and fruits and vegetables. One of the best restaurantes that I have ever been too in San Francisco served salad with breakfast. Way better than it sounds. Portion size is relative. I try to eat breakfast according to how I plan on eating the rest of the day. Today I will be going out for lunch so breakfast was lighter than usual.

That's very encouraging. I love the feeling of being sore, it's instant feedback that I am working hard. I was worried about the space issue, I don't have a ton of room to run around here so that's also good to know I don't need a ton of space. The thing I didn't like about the P90X is that I didn't have the room for it, and I had to constantly pause the DVD so I could set up the cords in the door jam, or get the resistance bands set up. The reason I love yoga so much is because it's just using my body weight, I think that's why Insanity has already intrigued me.

Thanks for the info, I think this might be my new goal post Thanksgiving.

GG, my g/f was doing the Julian Michaels 30 day shred for a bit along with eating better and she was losing 3 to 4 pounds a week along with just generally feeling better. Its pretty intense from what she said.

This is wicked cool. I just may have to spend some serious time in here during the winter.

Coach you can be somewhat proud of me. In the beginning of October I told Nerfny that we were going to start running and do a 5k on Thanksgiving. We started following the Couch to 5k training method, went and got properly fit for shoes, and have been running 3x a week since. While we won't be finished with the program yet, our first 5k is set for Thursday. We are also signed up for one in December. I've gotten in to this running thing more than I thought I would. Really looking forward to Thursday.

Theres an Anytime Fitness across the street from my neighborhood, but its expensive for me and g/f to both be a member. Theres a place called Planet Fitness that is 10 bucks a month, but its 15 or 20 minutes away from our place, but right next to mine and hers work. Problem is that my g/f and I both kind of need the motovation from each other to get going but we work different schedules so even that becomes difficult. Why does this have to be so hard...

Call and haggle price with the Anytime Fitness. Go in for a trial or tour and have a price in mind. I've been VERY successful in getting 24 Hour fitness & Urban Active to match my price. Do it before the New Years rush and it will be even easier to haggle.

Thanks for the offer Deano, I'll definitely let you know. Are you using them this winter?

I'm also waiting for whatever reason, but planning to buy an adjustable bench this winter to build a bit of chest/shoulder muscle. Joining gyms worked for a while but I'd rather have something at home to workout with on my time, not battling around beefers and the post-work rush every night.

There's nothing worse in my books than a big beefer looking at you like you're wasting space because you can only press a plate on each side. I bet they are terrible golfers though haha!

Call and haggle price with the Anytime Fitness. Go in for a trial or tour and have a price in mind. I've been VERY successful in getting 24 Hour fitness & Urban Active to match my price. Do it before the New Years rush and it will be even easier to haggle.

Cool, I'll keep that in mind. I figure there has to be a little wiggle room, theres to many options out there.

For those of us with time issues, remember ANYTHING is better than nothing. If it means walking the dog 2 miles, that is 2 more miles than you would have done. It's all about perspective. Great article last week about Rory and his workout. He works out for 90 minutes a day 5 days a week. Doesn't have a set workout plan. With his schedule, he doesn't always have access to a gym, so he FINDS something to do in order to sweat. If it is running, he runs for 90 min. If he feels tired of that, he swims if the tour stop is by the ocean or the hotel has a large pool. We all can find something to help break a sweat for 30- 45 minutes a day. While 30 - 45 might not be perfect, it is better than nothing.

This is wicked cool. I just may have to spend some serious time in here during the winter.

Coach you can be somewhat proud of me. In the beginning of October I told Nerfny that we were going to start running and do a 5k on Thanksgiving. We started following the Couch to 5k training method, went and got properly fit for shoes, and have been running 3x a week since. While we won't be finished with the program yet, our first 5k is set for Thursday. We are also signed up for one in December. I've gotten in to this running thing more than I thought I would. Really looking forward to Thursday.

This is great dude!!!!! I am super stoked for you my man!! Running is addictive. I have a true love/hate relationship with it. If you are interested shoot me a PM and I'll tell you some pretty crazy stories.

Cool, I'll keep that in mind. I figure there has to be a little wiggle room, theres to many options out there.

This. There are a ton of them. It is also a good thing though. We can find gyms or times to workout if we look. Sometimes though it is just easier not to look haha

Coach Beard, two questions....

First, I have considered getting into boxing, primarily just a heavy bag. I've done plenty of reading and feel it would be a great workout for my core. Do you have any thoughts on what factors I should be looking at when choosing a heavy bag?

Second, I have always heard that one can maintain a higher metabolism rate when eating 6 small meals per day in lieu of the usual 2-3 meals per day. First, should I assume that the 6 meals per day collectively will be the same amount of food as the 2-3 meals I normally eat? In other words, do I eat the same amount per day, but just spread it out over 6 meals? Second, how does one adjust to eating that many meals? It seems kind of like a lifestyle change to go from 2-3 meals to 6 meals per day, and I'm afraid I'd lose motivation to keep doing that.

thanks

~Rock

Thanks for the offer Deano, I'll definitely let you know. Are you using them this winter?

I'm also waiting for whatever reason, but planning to buy an adjustable bench this winter to build a bit of chest/shoulder muscle. Joining gyms worked for a while but I'd rather have something at home to workout with on my time, not battling around beefers and the post-work rush every night.

There's nothing worse in my books than a big beefer looking at you like you're wasting space because you can only press a plate on each side. I bet they are terrible golfers though haha!

I hate this. I am lucky that I have a gym where everyone feels welcome. I have been in others when I was lifting hard and getting pretty big and it creates a really crappy feeling and divide between the haves and the have nots.

I'm going to throw this in here. I hate upright rows. My shoulder feels funny now. If I have my shoulder pronated, I start to get tinglely feelings down my arm. I scrapped them for dumbbell shrugs and feel like that wa sa good choice.

I hate upright rows.

I hate this. I am lucky that I have a gym where everyone feels welcome. I have been in others when I was lifting hard and getting pretty big and it creates a really crappy feeling and divide between the haves and the have nots.

Well, I think that last statement is kind of twofold.. It's the haves vs the have nots, and then the wants vs the want nots.. I don't go to a gym to get all 'swoll' haha, I go to do high repetition on midrange weight.. I don't want to bulk up, I want to add strength and flexibility.

Some guys can't figure that out, and i think that's a pretty big reason why I don't belong to a gym right now.

Coach Beard, two questions....

First, I have considered getting into boxing, primarily just a heavy bag. I've done plenty of reading and feel it would be a great workout for my core. Do you have any thoughts on what factors I should be looking at when choosing a heavy bag?

Second, I have always heard that one can maintain a higher metabolism rate when eating 6 small meals per day in lieu of the usual 2-3 meals per day. First, should I assume that the 6 meals per day collectively will be the same amount of food as the 2-3 meals I normally eat? In other words, do I eat the same amount per day, but just spread it out over 6 meals? Second, how does one adjust to eating that many meals? It seems kind of like a lifestyle change to go from 2-3 meals to 6 meals per day, and I'm afraid I'd lose motivation to keep doing that.

thanks

~Rock

I have never boxed, however I do know that it is a super workout. We (the catchers on my team) followed a boxing training program in college (developing strength, stamina, quick feet etc). It was some of the most intense workouts I have ever done. My first advice would be if you haven't boxed before do some research on the proper impact position of your hands and wrists. I used to workout at a boxing gym and was friends with one of the trainers and he always would mention that some of the newbies coming in would sometimes break hands, fingers or wrists because they didn't know how to punch correctly. I wish I knew more about it for you.

Second part- yes the amount of food is the same. Unless you are eating truly good food (vegetables and fruits, super lean meats), which in that case you can actually eat MORE and still keep a higher metabolic rate. It is a tough change, but one that is well worth it. You will hopefully find that you aren't as hungry frequently because you are always eating. Keeping small snacks like fruit or nuts on hand is huge to help with this.

I want to chime in on this. The gym is a place to get stronger, not to prove how strong you are. Everybody is at different levels, and that's great! I always laugh at those big beefers, because they ues some of the worst form ever. There is a guy who is the gym at the same time as me who bench presses 315 for 3 sets of 8 reps. Except he only goes down half way, he doesn't touch the bar to his chest. One day he saw me and said, "Why do you go down so low when benching? You could do so much more if you didn't touch your chest." My response, "Because I don't consider it a rep until it touches my chest. I think it's a cop out to stop short." He wasn't too thrilled with my response.

Get into the gym, focus on form and progression, and don't worry about the beefers acting like idiots. Remember, haters gonna hate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back