2015 Ben Hogan FT15 Irons and TK15 Wedges: THP Review Thread

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
In for review are one of the more talked about and certainly interesting releases of the year, the new Ben Hogan FT15 and TK15 irons and wedges.

THP Staff Writers Jman, Hawk, and Canadan will each be receiving a set of these irons/wedge which they went through the "HoganFit" fitting program on the Ben Hogan website in order to determine club setup and specs.

As with any testing, please feel free to jump in with any questions or comments, between the three of us we have pretty much all skill areas and swing types covered here, so we should be able to answer or find out an answer for whatever is needed.

Information on the 2015 Ben Hogan FT15 Irons and TK15 Wedges from Ben Hogan Golf:

FT. WORTH 15 IRONS
The most accurate and forgiving Hogan irons ever.

When Mr. Hogan started his company in 1953, he did so to “design and manufacture the best clubs in golf” with “the most exacting tolerances.” With the FT. WORTH 15 irons bearing the “Ben Hogan” name raises the bar once again.
Forged from premium 1025 Carbon Steel, these new irons incorporate a number of industry-first technologies to give more golfers a level of precision never before seen in the game.

Perimeter Weighting Redefined
Most of what you 'think' you know about irons might be wrong.

Robotic testing proves that perimeter weighting has been pushed too far. To impart sufficient and consistent energy to the golf ball, there simply has to be mass behind the point of impact. Most modern iron designs are like trying to drive a nail with a hammer turned on its side.

PerimeterWeightingBox-XL.jpg

The new ‘Hogans’ distribute the mass around and behind the primary impact area of the face... not the entire clubhead. So they deliver more energy where it counts. Golfer and robot testing against top brands of irons prove the new ‘Hogans’ deliver much better shot-to-shot distance consistency, and directional accuracy that is as good or better as well.

Just as long. More accurate. And more forgiving. We believe Mr. Hogan would approve.

Progressive Weighting
A perfectly matched set of irons shouldn't match at all.

The industry is stuck on the notion that a ‘matched’ set of irons means they all look alike. But why should a pitching wedge look exactly like a 6-iron? They are as different in loft and function as the 6-iron and 3-wood.
So the new Hogan FT. WORTH 15 irons apply the most dynamic progressive weighting in golf club history. Each iron in your set looks slightly different than the next one. And each one is optimized for performance for that specific loft.

ProgressiveWeightingBox-XL.jpg

Your long irons are more forgiving. Your mid-irons more precise. And your short irons and wedges are virtual dart-throwers. They are, quite frankly, the most accurate irons you can play.

TK 15 WEDGES

They could redefine the entire category.

Modern’ wedges bear a puzzling similarity to those dating all the way back to the 1950s, the ones Ben Hogan said should not be hit over 40 yards. (This from a man who was known to hit his driver 300+.) What Mr. Hogan knew was that the heavy bottom and thin upper face caused very inconsistent distances with full swings.

That insight inspired us to completely re-engineer the design of wedges to make them much better at full shots than any other wedge you can play. And we built in even more innovations to make sure they were more versatile around the greens than the wedges currently in your bag.

The new Hogan TK 15 wedges will show you that you are a much better wedge player than you might have thought.

Innovative Weighting
They look different because they play different.

You know that high-face impact that always comes up short? It’s not your fault. It’s built into your ‘conventional’ wedges.

The fact is that trajectory and distance control are the two biggest scoring range challenges for golfers of all skill levels – from you to tour players. Our extensive testing on swing robots and with golfers of all skill levels prove those problems are caused by your wedge design itself.

LoftSpecificWeightingBox-XL.jpg

In the TK 15 wedges, our engineers re-distributed the mass more evenly across the back of the clubhead to fix these faults. So they deliver more penetrating trajectories on full swings, and the distance control on all shots that is so important to scoring range performance.

The TK 15 wedges are easier to flight down, much more responsive to those “in-between” shots and near-magic around the greens.

Loft Specific Weighting
Your lob wedge and gap wedge are as different as your 6-iron and hybrid. Why should they look alike?

Your wedges have to be the most precisely engineered clubs in your bag. But while other wedge brands apply the same weighting design to all the lofts, we treated each wedge in your set with focused precision.

In the TK 15 wedges, as loft decreases from the lob wedge down to the pitching wedge, some of the mass is gradually redistributed more toward the heel and toe, and higher on the clubhead. This ensures optimum trajectories on full shots, and improved distance control anywhere. And those shots caught high on the face fly almost exactly like a well-struck shot.

Distance control is the real measure of a good wedge player. And it is built into the new Hogans.

Preciseloft System
Every wedge loft from 48 to 63 degrees.

Bending a wedge to something it wasn’t designed to be also compromises its bounce and offset. The ultimate commitment to the precision Mr. Hogan demanded drove us to build every loft from 48 to 63 degrees.
So every golfer can put together the exact set of 3-4 wedges that will optimize their distance gapping in prime scoring range and blend to their iron lofts... whether those irons are Hogans or not.

We recommend starting your set of TK 15 wedges with a true “pitching wedge” of 48-51 degrees. This is the club Mr. Hogan’s competitors dubbed “the Equalizer”, and it will quickly become one of your favorite “go to” clubs.

FORGED
Isn’t this the part of the game where feel counts the most?

Mr. Hogan believed only a quality forging could deliver the feel and feedback crucial to a solid short game. And we concur. For these clubs, forging is just better.

The new TK 15 wedges are forged from 1025 carbon steel in a six step process that delivers extraordinary club-to-club consistency. They provide the ultimate performance and feel that Mr. Hogan demanded.

Forging_Box-XL.jpg

Each iron and wedge starts as an ingot of pure 1025 carbon steel and the bar is bent to begin taking shape as a ‘Hogan’. Then under a series of forming dies, the selected iron head begins to “morph” into a FT. WORTH 15 iron or TK 15 wedge. Each forging die implies a more precise shape, impress more detail and condense the grain of the metal. In reflection of the most modern forging technologies, the last die returns an iron head that is within 3-4% of its final weight and shape. It is now ready for the final polishing, face/groove milling, engraving and final detailing.

V-SOLE
The most versatile sole in the game.

WedgeVSoleBox-XL.jpg

Turf conditions are never consistent, and your swing path is altered to hit different shots . . . or by accident. So how could you ever expect one bounce to be right all the time? And how could you ever “fit” bounce at all?
At the heart of every Hogan iron & wedge is the renowned V-SOLE® design. Invented by Hogan wedge architect Terry Koehler, it has been proven for years with tens of thousands of golfers of all skill levels.

By blending a high-bounce front section with a low-bounce main portion, the V-SOLE® works with any lie or shot you might face. It really is that simple.

Specifications:
SPECS-XL.png

In-Hand Photos:

DSC_1167-XL.jpg

DSC_1255-XL.jpg

DSC_1258-XL.jpg

DSC_1257-XL.jpg

DSC_1253-XL.jpg

DSC_1254-XL.jpg

DSC_1170-XL.jpg

DSC_1171-XL.jpg

DSC_1168-XL.jpg

DSC_1172-XL.jpg

DSC_1180-XL.jpg

DSC_1250-XL.jpg

DSC_1252-XL.jpg

DSC_1214-XL.jpg

DSC_1217-XL.jpg

DSC_1219-XL.jpg

DSC_1218-XL.jpg

DSC_1221-XL.jpg

DSC_1222-XL.jpg

DSC_1246-XL.jpg

DSC_1247-XL.jpg

DSC_1176-XL.jpg

DSC_1174-XL.jpg

• Staff
Because of space, individual club pics will be in this post, in spoilers.

20*
Spoiler

DSC_1181-XL.jpg

DSC_1182-XL.jpg

DSC_1185-XL.jpg

DSC_1183-XL.jpg

24*
Spoiler

DSC_1187-XL.jpg

DSC_1188-XL.jpg

DSC_1190-XL.jpg

DSC_1189-XL.jpg

28*
Spoiler

DSC_1187-XL.jpg

DSC_1192-XL.jpg

DSC_1197-XL.jpg

DSC_1193-XL.jpg

32*
Spoiler

DSC_1198-XL.jpg

DSC_1199-XL.jpg

DSC_1201-XL.jpg

DSC_1200-XL.jpg

36*
Spoiler

DSC_1202-XL.jpg

DSC_1203-XL.jpg

DSC_1205-XL.jpg

DSC_1204-XL.jpg

40*
Spoiler

DSC_1206-XL.jpg

DSC_1207-XL.jpg

DSC_1209-XL.jpg

DSC_1208-XL.jpg

44*
Spoiler

DSC_1210-XL.jpg

DSC_1211-XL.jpg

DSC_1213-XL.jpg

DSC_1212-XL.jpg

48*
Spoiler

DSC_1223-XL.jpg

DSC_1224-XL.jpg

DSC_1226-XL.jpg

DSC_1225-XL.jpg

52*
Spoiler

DSC_1227-XL.jpg

DSC_1228-XL.jpg

DSC_1229-XL.jpg

DSC_1235-XL.jpg

56*
Spoiler

DSC_1236-XL.jpg

DSC_1237-XL.jpg

DSC_1239-XL.jpg

DSC_1238-XL.jpg

60*
Spoiler

DSC_1241-XL.jpg

DSC_1242-XL.jpg

DSC_1243-XL.jpg

DSC_1244-XL.jpg

Last edited:
  • Staff
Some comparisons, VPC to FT15 and 588 RTX 2.0 CB to TK15

DSC_1260-XL.jpg

DSC_1261-XL.jpg

DSC_1262-XL.jpg

DSC_1263-XL.jpg

DSC_1265-XL.jpg

DSC_1267-XL.jpg

DSC_1264-XL.jpg

DSC_1266-XL.jpg

Last edited:
So pretty...

They are CERTAINLY gorgeous, but I will be following with serious interest to see if they can follow up on some of these extremely bold claims.

Fantastic write up and photos, very well done James.

Glad to see they came in for review. They are very attractive...now to see if mere mortals can get around with them!

Those are really nice looking. Can't wait to read the reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. Really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on these irons!

Great looking irons. Love seeing the Hogan name on a set of newly released forged irons!

I can't make my mind up as to whether I like them or not.....?

One thing I am guessing that would take a little bit of time to get used to is having the lofts on the soles of the club rather than the 'traditional' iron numbers

Interested to hear what you have to say about them

Thank you Jman! Those look great. Better than I imagined.

I can't get over how beautiful these are. I love the loft written in old-school numbering.

I have zero business ever hitting these, but they are fun to look at and admire.

Just amazing. Beautiful yes. But so technically sophisticated despite being so simple. These are going to be a home run!

I can't wait for these reviews! Thanks, Jman - I'm glad you were able to work out acquiring some of these for testing!

They look good, but everything else, from the Lofts on the clubs to the wording in their press release, just seems so friggen pretentious

They are sure nice to look at! Not sure my "weekend hacker" swing could hit them. With all your great reviews lately Jman, your going to need a case of Icy Hot and a new keyboard soon!

They still have the old style look but with some updated technology. Brings me back to my HS days with Hogans. Will always have a special place with me.

On Wednesday I played 9 holes after work with my old Hogans. When I saw these pics I pondered for a few moments but my common sense took over :act-up:

When pics first came out way back when they looked nice and all but I was not too jazzed. These pictures however are wonderful and the sole designs are very interesting.

Looking forward to hearing more about these.

JM

Last edited:
Second and third post updated with even more pics for those who want to see some comparisons and club by club shots.

I can't make my mind up as to whether I like them or not.....?

One thing I am guessing that would take a little bit of time to get used to is having the lofts on the soles of the club rather than the 'traditional' iron numbers

Interested to hear what you have to say about them

Pretty sure I'm going to 'cheat' early on with a small sharpie mark on the back of each telling me what club it corresponds to.

They look good, but everything else, from the Lofts on the clubs to the wording in their press release, just seems so friggen pretentious

It is worded....interestingly. LOL

Seeing them next to VPC's they are more on the blade side than I thought.

Having played Apex Edge irons for several years, I am very interested in the reviews of the "new" Hogan irons.

Seeing them next to VPC's they are more on the blade side than I thought.

Honestly, its what I expected, you can talk weighting as much as you want, an MB is an MB, is an MB. These, are as MB as any set I have ever held/had/swung/used.

Those look awesome but I don't want any part of that 20 and 24 unless I'm using them to butter some bread or they are magically forgiving.

Back