2015 Ben Hogan FT15 Irons and TK15 Wedges: THP Review Thread

I adore Hogan irons, but I feel the claim that these musclebacks are somehow forgiving is dubious at best. I guess I'll wait for the test results. BTW - after doing the online fitting, the amount of spam I received was wayyyyy over the top. Came off like an overly-obsessed girlfriend.

The loft numbers are kind of growing on me a bit but that could be the red paint fill which resembles the older lines so well. The one issue I can't seem to shake is the pronounced indentation that is created from the club weighting, my MP 68's had a small indentation but these look significant and the way it progresses just kills it for me, I have a buddy that went with these and he swears they're the best Hogans ever made and he's played Hogans for years, I guess I'll hold out for your input on these and hope to swing them one day, but for now I'll sit with Jrod, many better options in the looks department

This should be an interesting review, hope you like them. I still cannot get past the initial high pressure sales pitch they tried and not the best looking blades out there by a long shot IMO.

Thanks for adding in the individual club pics. These are awesome looking.
Quick question, how is the sizing of the wedges compared to the Scors? They look pretty similar.
Same size going off my memory. Had I not given mine away to dru then I could've taken pics side by side but they scream SCOR wedges IMO.
The loft numbers are kind of growing on me a bit but that could be the red paint fill which resembles the older lines so well. The one issue I can't seem to shake is the pronounced indentation that is created from the club weighting, my MP 68's had a small indentation but these look significant and the way it progresses just kills it for me, I have a buddy that went with these and he swears they're the best Hogans ever made and he's played Hogans for years, I guess I'll hold out for your input on these and hope to swing them one day, but for now I'll sit with Jrod, many better options in the looks department
Its def a different look, FWIW though in hand they aren't as pronounced as you imagine. I will say though, there's only so much you can do to manipulate the weight in what most of us agree is an MB like this. But, its for sure going to be a look some love and others just don't.

The in-hand pics look really nice. The loft numbers on the sole look a little weird, but I'm sure you get used to that really quickly.

Very interested to see the results.

The doc is on a 24 but I think these shiny things necessitate me begging family to watch Lotte for a bit so I can hit the range.

Also -- interested to see the x-flex shaft on those irons. That was part of the online fitting?

Also -- interested to see the x-flex shaft on those irons. That was part of the online fitting?
Here you go Seth, from a little earlier in the thread as I knew some would notice that:
I'll also throw it out there because I know some are thinking or talking about it, yes, shafts in mine are Tour-V X, Hogan wanted us to do their fitting program so I did and was going to play whatever it spit out. Even though at the time I was playing Recoil 680's (which are an option) in my irons it still spit this out. So, who am I to not put all aspects of a club, including the fitting tool to the test? LOL

Last edited:
Thanks James.

I presumed it was the online fitting instead of Internet Golfer (TM) taking over for a set of blades with x-flex shafts.

I'm really interested to follow this one - I love that all three of you are getting a set. Different players, different experiences, and it will be fun to hear the pros and cons from everyone.

The store by me had the wedges in stock, but not the irons - but they didn't have any demo wedges. Otherwise, I'd have taken a few swings. They are a really nice, classic looking club. And the more in hand pictures of the irons I see, the more I like them.

Thanks James.

I presumed it was the online fitting instead of Internet Golfer (TM) taking over for a set of blades with x-flex shafts.
Believe me, I was sort of hoping it would spit out graphite for the sake of my hands and wrists. Hahaha

I'm really interested to follow this one - I love that all three of you are getting a set. Different players, different experiences, and it will be fun to hear the pros and cons from everyone.

The store by me had the wedges in stock, but not the irons - but they didn't have any demo wedges. Otherwise, I'd have taken a few swings. They are a really nice, classic looking club. And the more in hand pictures of the irons I see, the more I like them.

Should be a really fun one, we have the gamut covered for sure.

I think these are gorgeous, but man they look small!!! I wouldn't want anything longer than 5i, and honesty I'd be a little scared to hit that too. the wedge claims are very interesting. I love a flighted down wedge shot, and I like the idea of the club design doing it for me instead of a manipulated swing. can't wait to hear everyone's thoughts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not going to post individual shots of each club so much since James took care of that very well for us in the first post. Just want to show off some of the irons and then highlight a few things.

Nice packaging with a personal touch - always a nice thing to see.

DSCN6347-L.jpg

DSCN6350-L.jpg

Very sharp looking in the bag and the full set has a nice uniform appearance from lowest iron to highest-lofted wedge.

DSCN6382-L.jpg

DSCN6354-L.jpg

DSCN6351-L.jpg

They are definitely small in many regards. Sole-width especially. Here is the 5 iron and 8 iron next to my Z 545's.

DSCN6385-L.jpg

DSCN6383-L.jpg

DSCN6386-L.jpg

DSCN6388-L.jpg

First post mentioned the weighting variance in the wedges and you can see that here. Less cavity and more sole width as the loft increases.

DSCN6359-L.jpg

DSCN6360-L.jpg

DSCN6361-L.jpg

DSCN6366-L.jpg

DSCN6365-L.jpg

DSCN6367-L.jpg

Thoughts on the looks seem to be pretty varied on the internet. I'll say that in person they are very attractive to me.

DSCN6370-L.jpg

DSCN6376-L.jpg

DSCN6372-L.jpg

DSCN6377-L.jpg

DSCN6379-L.jpg

DSCN6355-L.jpg

DSCN6356-L.jpg

DSCN6358-L.jpg

Those are really nice looking irons. But they are indeed tiny compared to the 545s.

Very interested to see what you guys think about them. I suspect Hawk and Jman will be popular at the range at the KC Invitational if those irons are in tow.

This thread is making me want to purchase a second set of irons. Not good when I just replaced my entire bag. :banghead: :act-up:

I think they look incredible. I'm also thinking they are easier to hit than they look--but that's really just a guess.

I think they look incredible. I'm also thinking they are easier to hit than they look--but that's really just a guess.
Eh, from what I saw today, they are what they are where demand is concerned. But ive got some numbers and thoughts later this evening having hit through the whole set today.

Eh, from what I saw today, they are what they are where demand is concerned. But ive got some numbers and thoughts later this evening having hit through the whole set today.

over here dripping with antici

pation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is exactly what I have seen. I know we share similar thoughts on the matter, but the subtle design did not offer me much more in terms of anything perimeter. Glad you liked the looks of them though, as I know many find them absolutely stunning.

Looks like math is involved with using the loft on the club I've looked though a bunch of pics but are the actual club numbers somewhere too?

Looks like math is involved with using the loft on the club I've looked though a bunch of pics but are the actual club numbers somewhere too?
Nope, just lofts.

I took a sharpie to the back of mine though.

Hawk and Jman I am interested to know what your experience with the sole/turf interaction with the Hogans are as they are supposed to have similar bounce(v sole) characteristics as the Srixon irons. After seeing the photos though it seems as though the Hogans have a much narrower sole. Do you think the Hogans might match up (sole thickness wise) more with the z945's? or the z745's?

Man I've been waiting for this review, fantastic pictures guys and they look outstanding. I really wish I could put these in my bag. Ill be watching this thread big time.

Nope, just lofts.

I took a sharpie to the back of mine though.

Brilliant.

It would take some time to remember the numbers, but I suspect it could become pretty easy to do.

Back