2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another great workout in the books
Running, rowing, squat thrusts, step up bicep curls, suspended rows, and core work

f33aff1b48bdd4a27ed835578f103518.jpg

Power snatches. 5 sets of 2 reps. 3 sets of 10 overhead squats. Followed by 3 sets of chins.

1st day back at the gym since Thursday. Upped the pace on my mile run, dropping a decent amount of time. Then hopped on the rowing machines and then some bench presses.

So, stupid question. I want to lose some weight. My thinking is running/rowing is the best way to do so. It is something that I can do. I am not real knowledgeable about weights or anything like that, so I really have only been doing some of the stuff on one of the weight machines and some bench presses.

Any suggestions for someone new to the gym, that really doesn't know what the heck they are doing? What should I be trying, or I guess what should I be trying to stay away from.

Have been on a pretty strict diet and weight lifting routine for about the past ten weeks. I'm a pretty slim guy in the first place but am trying to get in better shape and gain some more muscle. I do personal training once a week also with my significant other which has been fun.

Trainer did a fitness assessment today and said that I've lost about 4% of my body fat since I've started. I'm at about the same weight which means that I've turned some of that fat into muscle! Always great to see results!

My arms are a bit sore tonight.
I started a dumbbell-only workout last week, because the apartment complex I live in is a bit lacking, and have been ramping up slowly.

I would recommend sprint intervals on the rowing machine. Just make sure your form is 100% - legs>back>arms going out and arms>back>legs going in - or you may badly tweak your lower back.

The following is one progression I use.
NOTE: Stay at 25 strokes per minute pace, and vary power. 100%/25% split:

250m warm-up
50m on / 25m off
50m on / 50m off
100m on / 50m off
100m / 100m
250m / 100m
100m / 100m
50m / 50m
25m / 25m
500m cool-down.

We used to follow that pattern to 1000m in crew (250 > 500 > 1000 since those are sprint race distances), but you definitely don't need to do that.

Also just like in golf, tempo is key. I usually try to scale a 1:3 (out:in) ratio.
1st day back at the gym since Thursday. Upped the pace on my mile run, dropping a decent amount of time. Then hopped on the rowing machines and then some bench presses.

So, stupid question. I want to lose some weight. My thinking is running/rowing is the best way to do so. It is something that I can do. I am not real knowledgeable about weights or anything like that, so I really have only been doing some of the stuff on one of the weight machines and some bench presses.

Any suggestions for someone new to the gym, that really doesn't know what the heck they are doing? What should I be trying, or I guess what should I be trying to stay away from.

Last edited:

I person as lly avoid machines and isolation lifts.

My workouts consist if squats, overhead presses, bench press, deadlift, chinups, power cleans and power snatches. No reason to do isolation lifts.

It really depends on what you want to do. Do you just want to lose weight? Or are you more focused on looking better and getting stronger?
Either way you should incorporate weight training into your workout. I have seen ALOT of people get frustrated and quit because they weren't losing any weight.

But you have to realize that if you start lifting weights you will gain muscle, and muscle weighs more than fat.
So sometimes people offset the fat they have shed by the muscle they gain.

If you are purely trying to lose weight I would do higher rep sets. Like 10-15 reps. Most people bulk up more if they do lower rep sets like 4-8.

While I agree that free weights are better you can get good results from machines.
And if you don't know what you are doing you don't want to rush into the free weights and get hurt.

Most people try to incorporate large compound movements into their workouts first, like squats, bench press etc... and do the other stuff later like bicep curls. There are tons of different variations. Some people work out their whole body a few times a week and some workout just doing portions of the body only once a week like Legs, back, chest, arms

But everybody's different so try testing stuff out to see what works for you.

For weight loss, I did very well with a full body workout 3 times a week and HIIT cardio twice a week. Once I lost all the weight I wanted to, I moved into splits to start gaining strength.

I will try to find the 3 day deal that I did tonight when I get home. It was awesome for a beginner and really prepared me to move into an intermediate program.

For my weight loss I did intermittent fasting (feed from 8am until 4pm) with a low-gram casein protein shake before bed.
On days I went to the gym (m/w/f) I would supplement with weigh protein + whole milk + creatine immediately after the workout. Dropped 30lbs pretty easily.

Interval training...whatever cardio you do (rowing, running, bike) do a short burst of full out then longer periods of half to a quater speed,( or somewhere in there) then another short burst. The point is the intervals of high intensity, low intensity, high intensity, speeds up the fat burning process. You will burn a lot more fat that way than just going at a consistant pace.

My log for the day.

0387b5e829ed109c8a71affab9276240.jpg

Pro tip: keep a log of every training session.

I want to bump this up. This thread makes me happy.

Weighed in at 168 today, which is a little higher than I really want it to be. This muscle gain program and diet has been great, but the 3400 calorie diet has put a little extra fat on me.

Monday is the beginning of the new plan geared towards more cardio, and I'm going back to a 200 calorie a day deficit to get my bodyfat back under 10%.

Weighed in at 168 today, which is a little higher than I really want it to be. This muscle gain program and diet has been great, but the 3400 calorie diet has put a little extra fat on me.

Monday is the beginning of the new plan geared towards more cardio, and I'm going back to a 200 calorie a day deficit to get my bodyfat back under 10%.
10% body fat. Hahahahaha.

If I'm in double digits I would be surprised.

I had another Friday training session tonight and man does he work my butt off. One thing I have so much issue is, is with my squats. I've read the book you told me about blu but its just doing it correctly. I have a problem of not bending enough with my hips and bending me back. Today he put me up against a wall and told me to not touch it with my knees or head. Wow it just feels weird to keep a straight back. Also had a small PVC pipe go along my back so I could feel when I'm not straight.
But other than that I'm doing good and I can really see change now looking more muscular.

10% body fat. Hahahahaha.

If I'm in double digits I would be surprised.

I was over 30% when I started this journey. Pretty sad that I ever let myself get that bad, but it'll never happen again.

I had another Friday training session tonight and man does he work my butt off. One thing I have so much issue is, is with my squats. I've read the book you told me about blu but its just doing it correctly. I have a problem of not bending enough with my hips and bending me back. Today he put me up against a wall and told me to not touch it with my knees or head. Wow it just feels weird to keep a straight back. Also had a small PVC pipe go along my back so I could feel when I'm not straight.
But other than that I'm doing good and I can really see change now looking more muscular.
Hold on. Your knees have to come forward. When your butt is half way down, that's all the farther for your knees.
Plus, you need to lean over to keep the low bar positioned over your mid foot.

Get a video of a loaded squat.

Yea I know my knees have to come forward, my problem is they go over my toes to far. I'm doing more work with knees then using my hips. I haven't really got into much lifting squats because my squats suck. So I've been doing more kettle balls and box squats. If I can get a video I'll post it.

I was over 30% when I started this journey. Pretty sad that I ever let myself get that bad, but it'll never happen again.

That is a huge drop man. Great job!

Yea I know my knees have to come forward, my problem is they go over my toes to far. I'm doing more work with knees then using my hips. I haven't really got into much lifting squats because my squats suck. So I've been doing more kettle balls and box squats. If I can get a video I'll post it.

I need to see a video. Make sure it's a loaded barbell squat. I can't help with a barbell squat if you show me a kettlebell squat. Nonetheless, I love reading about the effort. Keep getting into the gym.

Anyone use a fitbit charge HR? My wife found a sweet deal on fitbit charge hr (~$55) through a buying co-op she is in, and thinking about getting one of those to help me track workouts and finally monitoring heart rate during resting and workouts. For that price I'm thinking no brainer, but thought I'd check with you fitness junkies to see if it was worth it first.

Stepped on the scale this morning and it read 198lbs. I'm sure through out the day/weekend I'll get back over 200, but feels good to finally see that "1" in front of the other two numbers.

Killed it today. I'm finding I have to push myself more and more to get my heart rate up - love being able to see results!

First part of the workout was treads and rowers, 2nd half was floor and strap work

419616b6265b13f8eb989077a16d22c4.jpg

a-little-inspiration-goes-a-long-way-31-photos-81.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back