2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone use a rowing machine for their workouts? I'm trying to talk my wife into getting one (I'd love to sell this monster-big Nautilus machine and get some kettlebells & the rower, but no dice so far).

Here's the one I'd like:

http://www.rowing-machine-review.com/best-rowing-machines/waterrower-review/

Mainly because it stores easy & is super quiet. Otherwise I'd grab a Concept 2D. Just wondered if anyone here has ever used either one much.

I love a rowing machine. It's a similar movement to the power clean. Done right, it's an awesome workout. Like, bring a puke bucket bucket awesome.

I do some rowing, good metabolic work. You can even do some interval type sets with it.

The water ergs are cool, but they are bad on maintenance. You have to worry about leaks and changing the water so it doesn't sit for too long and get nasty. Also, cleaning the water housing is a pain. Overall not worth it IMHO.

The better choice as the reviewer notes, is the Concept-2. It doesn't really matter which one in the range you buy since they are practically the same (the electronics are swappable). Some of the newer electronics packages come with games, too.

Whatever you decide, make sure to follow proper form* or you could end up with a tweaked back. (also, I'll probably yell at you to use proper form and respect the equipment)

* http://youtu.be/zQ82RYIFLN8
http://youtu.be/8USP6GJAvMk
http://youtu.be/oP6OR-G7AxM

P.S. I take this pretty seriously,
Does anyone use a rowing machine for their workouts? I'm trying to talk my wife into getting one (I'd love to sell this monster-big Nautilus machine and get some kettlebells & the rower, but no dice so far).

Here's the one I'd like:

http://www.rowing-machine-review.com/best-rowing-machines/waterrower-review/

Mainly because it stores easy & is super quiet. Otherwise I'd grab a Concept 2D. Just wondered if anyone here has ever used either one much.

Last edited:
These are pretty cool and at that price I'd get one. My work has incentive programs to lower my health insurance premium, and the fitbit is one of the approved devices for automatic tracking.
Anyone use a fitbit charge HR? My wife found a sweet deal on fitbit charge hr (~$55) through a buying co-op she is in, and thinking about getting one of those to help me track workouts and finally monitoring heart rate during resting and workouts. For that price I'm thinking no brainer, but thought I'd check with you fitness junkies to see if it was worth it first.

Anyone use a fitbit charge HR? My wife found a sweet deal on fitbit charge hr (~$55) through a buying co-op she is in, and thinking about getting one of those to help me track workouts and finally monitoring heart rate during resting and workouts. For that price I'm thinking no brainer, but thought I'd check with you fitness junkies to see if it was worth it first.

I just bought a Fitbit Charge HR today. Hope to put it in use in a few hours.

Anyone want to become "friends" and track keep up with each other?

I've had the surge HR for about 2 weeks and like it. Love the GPS on it for hikes.

First day back on the high protein, low carb diet. 3 hard boiled eggs for breakfast with a tablespoon of low fat Miracle Whip, a tablespoon of brown mustard and 1/2 a cup of low fat cheddar cheese mixed in.

Even after a horrible weekend (Mardi Gras in St. Louis) I am still down half a pound. That is a little over 24 pounds now. Back on the wagon today and hope to see that 2-3 pounds a week again.

Week 6 now completed, throw in a golf trip last week to Orlando, didnt eat horribly but certainly not great....still managed to lose 2lbs, that brings the total to 20.

Just did 60 minutes on an elliptical, burning 850 calories in the process. Tried to mix in several 30 second periods of HIIT too. Dang I'm tired, but feeling great having done it.

Just did 60 minutes on an elliptical, burning 850 calories in the process. Tried to mix in several 30 second periods of HIIT too. Dang I'm tired, but feeling great having done it.

The HIIT is awesome man. Do it for 20 minutes stretches on the treadmill and I am dying by the end of it.

Good work buddy

I joined the gym today and signed up for 12 personal training sessions. They have a deal with a new membership where the sessions were over 50% off, so I took the most I could get at that price which was 12. My first session starts Wednesday.

They happen to be running a promotion right now too, where the member who loses the most body fat % over a certain time period (I didn't read the full details) wins $5K. While I am sure that won't be me, that's a good way to get some folks motivated.

The HIIT is awesome man. Do it for 20 minutes stretches on the treadmill and I am dying by the end of it.

Good work buddy
When the weather warms up and I can run outside I plan to do even more of it. Kind of a pain doing high intervals on a treadmill waiting for it to speed up and slow down, on pavement I can start and stop much more frequently.

Dang you're making me look bad! I was so proud of the 20 minutes I did today! I can't imagine doing 60 minutes. I would never make it before I died.

I joined the gym today and signed up for 12 personal training sessions. They have a deal with a new membership where the sessions were over 50% off, so I took the most I could get at that price which was 12. My first session starts Wednesday.

They happen to be running a promotion right now too, where the member who loses the most body fat % over a certain time period (I didn't read the full details) wins $5K. While I am sure that won't be me, that's a good way to get some folks motivated.

That's awesome! They've been trying to sell me 12 training sessions too. OG and I want to do it but it's just too expensive for us right now. I've been doing my own thing for a while but a trainer would be so much more motivational. Good luck!

When the weather warms up and I can run outside I plan to do even more of it. Kind of a pain doing high intervals on a treadmill waiting for it to speed up and slow down, on pavement I can start and stop much more frequently.

I do it with no problem. Only takes a few seconds to get to the top speed and then back down again. I find the treadmill actually pushes me to do more and go longer when I set my mind right.

I do it with no problem. Only takes a few seconds to get to the top speed and then back down again. I find the treadmill actually pushes me to do more and go longer when I set my mind right.

Agreed buddy. Got it on the list for tonight

At one of my previous gyms, they had treadmills that remembered the last speed and you could switch back and forth like a last button on a TV remote, the treadmills at my current gym don't and I have to push and hold the button for about 10 seconds each way and when I'm gassed after a high interval I don't like doing it... That, and the intervals I've heard about are a 20 second on to 10 second off mix, and that would be a huge pain on a treadmill.

At one of my previous gyms, they had treadmills that remembered the last speed and you could switch back and forth like a last button on a TV remote, the treadmills at my current gym don't and I have to push and hold the button for about 10 seconds each way and when I'm gassed after a high interval I don't like doing it... That, and the intervals I've heard about are a 20 second on to 10 second off mix, and that would be a huge pain on a treadmill.

I do the following:

0-5 minutes on a warmup 4.0-4.5 depending on what is comfortable
5-5:45 on a high level 8.5-9
5:45-7:00 back to the 4.0-4.5
7:00-7:45 8.5-9

I do that for 20 minutes. 45 seconds on 75 seconds off. Works well

I do the following:

0-5 minutes on a warmup 4.0-4.5 depending on what is comfortable
5-5:45 on a high level 8.5-9
5:45-7:00 back to the 4.0-4.5
7:00-7:45 8.5-9

I do that for 20 minutes. 45 seconds on 75 seconds off. Works well
No wonder you're dropping pounds like a mad man.

I started doing intervals on a treadmill a week or so ago. I blew out a hamstring. I will stretch first next time!!!!
I surprise myself when I am committed lol

I started doing intervals on a treadmill a week or so ago. I blew out a hamstring. I will stretch first next time!!!!

Stretching is good!! Just finished my intervals. I am dripping in sweat. Seriously such a good workout

Bench, incline, decline, and a few other chest exercises today. Gym was crazy packed, couldn't get on a treadmill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back