2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rode my bike for almost 50 miles this week. Really happy with the way things have been going so far. Not even interested in the scale currently. Just getting back into the swing of things and it feels good.

Last edited:
Rode my back for almost 50 miles this week. Really happy with the way things have been going so far. Not even interested in the scale currently. Just getting back into the swing of things and it feels good.
50 miles is legit dude. Good work.

Rode my back for almost 50 miles this week. Really happy with the way things have been going so far. Not even interested in the scale currently. Just getting back into the swing of things and it feels good.

Thats good. Congrats...keep it up

Had a rough weekend diet-wise on my quest to get a six pack in 7 weeks due to being out of town. Currently 5'9", 147lbs. Still have 4 weeks left and have my work cut out for me, but as long as my diet stays good I think I can do this. Working out is the easy part, but eating healthy can really suck sometimes...

Had a rough weekend diet-wise on my quest to get a six pack in 7 weeks due to being out of town. Currently 5'9", 147lbs. Still have 4 weeks left and have my work cut out for me, but as long as my diet stays good I think I can do this. Working out is the easy part, but eating healthy can really suck sometimes...
The hardest part will always be the lack of meat flavorings other than salt, pepper, and Sriracha.

At 5'9" and 147, you can't have much body fat to begin with. What are you trying to accomplish with your diet?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

The hardest part will always be the lack of meat flavorings other than salt, pepper, and Sriracha.

While I don't live by them exclusively or religiously, I use South Beach and Mediterranean diet recipes and have never had a complaint about flavor. In fact, I told my wife that if I knew dieting was going to taste this good, I would have done it years ago.

At 5'9" and 147, you can't have much body fat to begin with. What are you trying to accomplish with your diet?

I'm trying to eat a lot of protein in order to gain more muscle and am having a slight caloric deficit to burn some fat away.. Also, all of my body fat is concentrated around my stomach (I have really lean legs which only makes my torso seem slightly larger in proportion) which makes things harder to get really ripped.

I'm trying to eat a lot of protein in order to gain more muscle and am having a slight caloric deficit to burn some fat away.. Also, all of my body fat is concentrated around my stomach (I have really lean legs which only makes my torso seem slightly larger in proportion) which makes things harder to get really ripped.
If you're also doing any weight training, with goals to "add muscle" and get stronger, that caloric deficit may become a problem.

If you're also doing any weight training, with goals to "add muscle" and get stronger, that caloric deficit may become a problem.

That's why I'm trying to get a high protein intake. My current situation isn't ideal, but me and a bunch of friends and classmates are having a pool party in a few weeks, and I'm trying to get as cut as I can. I"m not really trying to get big as much as I'm trying to get lean, so I'm not needing a whole lot of muscle as I am fat loss.

That's why I'm trying to get a high protein intake. My current situation isn't ideal, but me and a bunch of friends and classmates are having a pool party in a few weeks, and I'm trying to get as cut as I can. I"m not really trying to get big as much as I'm trying to get lean, so I'm not needing a whole lot of muscle as I am fat loss.
Have you don't the math? how many calories are you taking in to meet your goal weight? How many grams of protein are you taking in? Too much protein will just turn into fat.

Have you don't the math? how many calories are you taking in to meet your goal weight? How many grams of protein are you taking in? Too much protein will just turn into fat.

yeah, ive gone on a couple reputable workout sites (bodybuilding.com just to name one) and calculated my calories and macros just so that I'm being as effective and safe as possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ran 4 miles the other day and my legs still ache...

yeah, ive gone on a couple reputable workout sites (bodybuilding.com just to name one) and calculated my calories and macros just so that I'm being as effective and safe as possible

At least you have a plan. I'm not entirely sold on bodybuilding.com. There's a lot of bioscience on that site.

At least you have a plan. I'm not entirely sold on bodybuilding.com. There's a lot of bioscience on that site.

yeah, a lot of what's on there seems like a bunch of hogwash, but they have a few useful resources. granted, I'm not a bodybuilder nor do I want to be, so I don't really know everything.

yeah, a lot of what's on there seems like a bunch of hogwash, but they have a few useful resources. granted, I'm not a bodybuilder nor do I want to be, so I don't really know everything.

Keep running your program. I hope it pays off

Bench
45 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 3
235 x 2
280 x 1
290 3x3x2x2 (PR)

Rehab deads
145 x 15
155 x 15
165 x 15

Chins

I'm going to ease back into squats and deads next week. I'm starting to get prison legs.

I have a big problem with this graphic from Golf Digest

maar01-fitness.jpg

I have a big problem with this graphic from Golf Digest

maar01-fitness.jpg

I'd like to see most people I play with show up to the gym and just try a bottoms up press. That's an awful idea since if you focus too much on the grip and keeping the bell up, you're likely to do the press part wrong.

I'd like to see most people I play with show up to the gym and just try a bottoms up press. That's an awful idea since if you focus too much on the grip and keeping the bell up, you're likely to do the press part wrong.
You know what strengthens the grip and shoulders really well? Deadlifts. I know you know that.

And the high elbow row is just as dangerous for the rotstor cuff as the upright row. Might as well call it a seated impingement row.

I'm sure they didn't consult with any professionals and just threw it all together haphazardly saying 'watch this reaction'

I'm sure they didn't consult with any professionals and just threw it all together haphazardly saying 'watch this reaction'
I'm sure they consulted with "professionals". having spent time around NSCA trainers, most are morons in my opinion. Most S&C coaches are morons.

Regardless if you agree, if you don't that's fine. But it isn't hard to see the issues with a "bottoms up kettlebell press" or high elbows row.

Hahahahaha, OK then.

OK then. If an upright row causes shoulder impingement, they do, how does a high elbow row not also cause impingement when it places the humerus in the exact same position?

How is a bottoms up kettlebell press safer than a standing dumbbell press?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back