2015 Wilson Staff Duo and Duo Spin Review Thread

Wish I had taken a picture of the chart they drew on the board about the misnomer that high swing speed players cant benefit from lower compression balls like these....it was gold

From what I recall it was basically the law of diminishing returns. The slower swing speeds will benefit the most from lower compression, but the higher swing speeds will also see an added benefit.

From what I recall it was basically the law of diminishing returns. The slower swing speeds will benefit the most from lower compression, but the higher swing speeds will also see an added benefit.
Right on the graph and stick figure were cool too

Although I was given these balls at #PersonalDistance, I have not used them extensively (partially out of fear of losing them before they are available for replenishment). I have mostly stuck to the FG Tour. I will say that the DUO is the only ball I remember hitting farther off the tee than the Callaway Supersoft.

I'll be giving these a try next season, I do like the way the DUOs feel. No idea how they sell elsewhere, but locally they're never promoted or advertised...and usually sold out at GT.

Liked the previous Duo and just purchased 2 dozen but will have to check these out when I get through those.

I haven't had a chance to hit these as Spivey was hoarding them when we played together.

But when a guy who could play any ball out there without paying a dime hoards a specific golf ball, that's a pretty good advertisement for it in my book. Will definitely give these a try when they debut.

I played a Duo Spin that Giardcorp sent me (thanks buddy) for most of my last round this season. (dec 26th) My want was to compare it to the Chrome Soft, their covers being drastically different doesn't really make this possible. That being said, I enjoyed the Duo Soft and will look forward to putting it through the paces in the spring. I think anyone playing a NXT Tour or the like needs to give this ball a good look, as it performs and the value is very good.

I’d really like to try these out! The Wilson balles are getting a lot of love on THP, so they must be doing something right. I've been testing the DX2 Soft as my winter ball, and I really liked it. The Duo Spin sounds like it’s right up my alley; an affordable soft feel with a bit of extra bite on the green. Unfortunately they probably won’t hit the stores over here, as the previous DUO and the FG Tour never did.

Mash, I had always thought that the DX2 Soft WAS the Duo with just a different name for your market. I assumed the word DUO might have meant something bad over there. Anyway it looks like a great ball.

Can't wait to try these out. I am in love with the DUO already so whatever Wilson puts out now is an automatic try by me. I am more hurt losing a DUO on the course than I am a Pro V1 lately. It has always offered so much for so little.

Maybe JB can confirm this, but I heard today that on 1/24/15 Wilson will be allowing consumers to pick up a trial package of these at their local sporting stores. Can't recall where I heard this.

For me I am definitely interested in the Duo Spin as I tend to lack on getting green side spin.

You lucky B@$+@?0$ that got to hit these balls at the Personal Distance need to come correct with the reviews.

Its just mean to keep info from an addict.

edit to add: How about some pictures. I'm interested to see if they improved the alignment aid on them. If I had one gripe with the Duo, it would be that the alignment aid never looks straight to me.

I played a sleeve of the Duo Spin, lost one w Paladin, still have the other two.

Here are my notes, and I will get some time with them again over the next few days.
1) Great soft feel off my irons. Similar to Duos and SuperSoft, the ball just feels so dang soft. I did not notice any distance loss at all with these balls.
2) Very solid spin with irons and wedges - I can get these to spin back, the Duo's also but not as often and not as far. The DuoSpin does not spin like a ProV1x, so don't expect it to behave like a $45 ball.
3) It does have stopping power with short wedge shots, MUCH better than E6, noticably better than the Duo, but, again, not like ProV1x or SR3. I have not played E5 or E7, but similar to the Hex Hot Pro line.
4) This ball, as with all the WS balls I have played, tends to lose its luster fairly quickly. The ball goes from being white to less white in just a few holes. This does not bother me, but it might bother some others.

I will add some notes after I get a full round (or as many holes as a sleeve lasts me) under my belt with the DuoSofts - which will happen before Monday.

Edit: If I were looking for a solid performance ball, and did not want to pay more than $40, DuoSpin is the ball (along with the Chrome Soft) that I would put thru a serious workout.

Maybe JB can confirm this, but I heard today that on 1/24/15 Wilson will be allowing consumers to pick up a trial package of these at their local sporting stores. Can't recall where I heard this.

For me I am definitely interested in the Duo Spin as I tend to lack on getting green side spin.

I believe they posted a graphic to Twitter today about free 2 ball sleeves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I learned more about golf balls reading the first 8 posts in this thread than anywhere else.

I loved the prior Duo ball and it was my go-to for early spring, fall, and winter play. Which was dumb, because I probably could've played it year round without hesitation.

I'll be buying these as well as I'm curious as to how much more the Duo Spin drops-and-stops on green over the previous Duo.

I played a sleeve of the Duo Spin, lost one w Paladin, still have the other two.

Here are my notes, and I will get some time with them again over the next few days.
1) Great soft feel off my irons. Similar to Duos and SuperSoft, the ball just feels so dang soft. I did not notice any distance loss at all with these balls.
2) Very solid spin with irons and wedges - I can get these to spin back, the Duo's also but not as often and not as far. The DuoSpin does not spin like a ProV1x, so don't expect it to behave like a $45 ball.
3) It does have stopping power with short wedge shots, MUCH better than E6, noticably better than the Duo, but, again, not like ProV1x or SR3. I have not played E5 or E7, but similar to the Hex Hot Pro line.
4) This ball, as with all the WS balls I have played, tends to lose its luster fairly quickly. The ball goes from being white to less white in just a few holes. This does not bother me, but it might bother some others.

I will add some notes after I get a full round (or as many holes as a sleeve lasts me) under my belt with the DuoSofts - which will happen before Monday.

Edit: If I were looking for a solid performance ball, and did not want to pay more than $40, DuoSpin is the ball (along with the Chrome Soft) that I would put thru a serious workout.
Very nice review! Looking forward to hearing more.

I think I learned more about golf balls reading the first 8 posts in this thread than anywhere else.

I loved the prior Duo ball and it was my go-to for early spring, fall, and winter play. Which was dumb, because I probably could've played it year round without hesitation.

I'll be buying these as well as I'm curious as to how much more the Duo Spin drops-and-stops on green over the previous Duo.
I kid you not, I learned a huge amount about golf balls from the guys at Wilson Staff - studies about compression, spin rates with swing speeds, and the benefits of softer balls for all golfers. It was quite eye-opening!

Very interested in these from what I'm reading so far. Sound like solid offerings for sure. Going to have to try them both out for myself.

Great review Ryan.

Looks like I will be giving these a go along with the D200 driver.

Intrigued by these. Always interested in a quality product at a decent price

The Duo Spin sounds fantastic, I'd love to try it sometime.

I like the DUO but on our hard greens they don't pull up, im guessing that is a bit in part to the surlyn cover. Hopefully the DUO Spin might help a little bit. Just reading the article would this assumption be correct ionomer = surlyn?

Good review, thanks. I would like to try out the Duo Spin. That being said I am not one who really loves a super soft ball... I may be in the minority but I prefer something that has a little oomph to it. I play the Wilson Zip (I believe they used to call it a zero compression ball) during the winter but it is much too soft for me during the warmer months. I'd compare it to hitting a marshmallow. Performance is performance though especially if there is no distance lost w/ the softer feel. I will give the Spin a trial run.

You lucky B@$+@?0$ that got to hit these balls at the Personal Distance need to come correct with the reviews.

Its just mean to keep info from an addict.

edit to add: How about some pictures. I'm interested to see if they improved the alignment aid on them. If I had one gripe with the Duo, it would be that the alignment aid never looks straight to me.

I liked both balls. If you gave both to me blindly I'm not sure I could tell the difference between them, but I'd say that about probably another few balls as well. Alignment aid never stood out to me as anything other than straight.

Same feel. Very nice. In terms of spin, ehh I don't know. I didn't notice any appreciable difference to my eye. Not to say that there may be a small launch monitor difference, but at least as far as what I saw the ball do on the green - seemed standard to me.

Regardless, one of the two is a top contender to be my ball of choice in cool weather or if there are leaves/other issues that make losing golf balls a concern. I'm loyal to price assuming performance is similar, so whatever I can get a better deal on.

Mash, I had always thought that the DX2 Soft WAS the Duo with just a different name for your market. I assumed the word DUO might have meant something bad over there. Anyway it looks like a great ball.
Really? I checked the specs and they sure look the same… Thanks!

I asked a local shopowner a while ago about several Wilson products (the DUO and FT tour for instance), and he told me Wilson ran a limited line of products in Europe, and that he wasn’t expecting them to release those here. He did say he had the DX2 which was supposed to have similar benefits. He probably didn’t know it’s the same ball either.

BTW: The word duo means exactly the same as it does in English in 90% of European languages, so I don’t know what was the logic behind the name change.

I like the DUO but on our hard greens they don't pull up, im guessing that is a bit in part to the surlyn cover. Hopefully the DUO Spin might help a little bit. Just reading the article would this assumption be correct ionomer = surlyn?
Yes, when they say ionomer cover they mean Surlyn. It's a DuPont product.

Back