2015 Wilson Staff Duo and Duo Spin Review Thread

To the best of my knowledge e5 is urethane.

Ok...I'm catching on now. But it's a 2 piece urethane compared to 3 like the ChromeSoft I'm thinking. Makes sense in my head now.

Sorry for detracting folks!

Nice write up and review. These have me intrigued as I normally only play the lower compression in cold weather. So many people have raved about the duo and now with the duo spin they may get me to try some.

Since we are talking the Chrome Soft - the comparable W/S ball would be the FG Tour, though I think that's a 4 piece ball. It's about $6 more than the CS - at least if we're talking retail.

To me, this one would compare most to the e6 maybe? Softer, but still a 3 piece ball. The cover is supposed to be a softer ionomer blend for slightly more spin. They are saying it sits in between the DUO and FG Tour in that regard.

I think I'm going to be deciding between the new DUO and new e6 this season.

Since we are talking the Chrome Soft - the comparable W/S ball would be the FG Tour, though I think that's a 4 piece ball. It's about $6 more than the CS - at least if we're talking retail.

To me, this one would compare most to the e6 maybe? Softer, but still a 3 piece ball. The cover is supposed to be a softer ionomer blend for slightly more spin. They are saying it sits in between the DUO and FG Tour in that regard.

Good comparison on these would be to NXT Tour. Similar ball here (lower compression on these) that costs less.

Yea that's another 3 piece that I like. For the cost I'd definitely lean towards these.

Good comparison on these would be to NXT Tour. Similar ball here (lower compression on these) that costs less.

Yes. This comparison is spot on. And around $8/doz cheaper

Ugh! I just went back & retread the article. They increased the hardness of the cover of my beloved Duo. The soft feeling cover was one of the things I loved about that ball. I don't care what the name of the material was, it just felt soft and grippy in hand & off the clubs & had a very muted sound at impact & almost none while putting.

This new one better not sound clicky or I'll be looking for a new ball.

I didn't notice any difference whatsoever Shakey.

Ugh! I just went back & retread the article. They increased the hardness of the cover of my beloved Duo. The soft feeling cover was one of the things I loved about that ball. I don't care what the name of the material was, it just felt soft and grippy in hand & off the clubs & had a very muted sound at impact & almost none while putting.

This new one better not sound clicky or I'll be looking for a new ball.

I will say that while on the putting green a friend of mine rolled the Duo and duo spin without looking at which ball it was and asked if they were the FG Tours. These two duo options are anything but clicky. Now depending on what face your putter is may impact feel, but I have a milled insert in my putter and it's butter soft

I didn't notice any difference whatsoever Shakey.
Thank The Lord. My wife just asked me what had me so upset that I was banging the keyboard so hard when I was typing. :bulgy-eyes:

I will say that while on the putting green a friend of mine rolled the Duo and duo spin without looking at which ball it was and asked if they were the FG Tours. These two duo options are anything but clicky. Now depending on what face your putter is may impact feel, but I have a milled insert in my putter and it's butter soft
:banana:

Thanks for the review Hawk.

Sounds like the Duo Spin has all the characteristics most will want out of a 3-piece ball & a great price point. Wilson has done their homework and I for one will give these a shot.

Very nice Hawk, I'm excited to try the new Duo Spin. Coming in at 55 compression it appears that it would be a similar performing ball to the ChromeSoft at 58 compression. For me, it could be a matter of simply choosing the one that's more affordable.

Will be picking up a dozen soon and I'm looking forward to the feedback from others.

Nailed it Cookie. I played the Duo and the SuperSoft last year and liked them both and didnt see a ton of difference. May just come down to price but am going to give both a try.

Man here is another dozen balls I will have to try when they come out.

Great info Hawk, thanks! I liked the Duo and am really looking forward to trying out the new flavors, especially the Spin version.

Great write up Ryan, I am wanting to give the Duo Spin a try. I liked the feel of the last version of Duo but it did not perform quite right for me, spin may be that missing element that reels me in.

2015 Wilson Staff Duo and Duo Spin Review Thread

Wilson Staff has been my ball of choice for a long time now. Predominantly DUO but always keep FG Tours available just in case I think I could benefit from extra bite. DUO spin might be perfect middle ground!! Actually, it better be as I've passed on many a holiday DUO sale waiting for this ball!!

Very nice write up Hawk. I'll definitely be giving both the Duo and Duo Spin a whirl. Loved the previous Duo model.

Great work Hawk, I can't wait to try the 2015 edition out, the price point on custom balls is usually pretty nice with Wilson, maybe another corporate order is in store for us!

The duo has been my favorite ball by far. Can't wait to try the new model and the spin. If only they came in pink then I would use it as my fall ball too.

Great info Ryan. I'm currently gaming the old Duo as it is my favorite winter ball. I don't remember seeing these last week when I was at my local PGA SS, but, will be picking up a dozen of the Duo Spin as soon as I can find them. It seems to have all that I look for in a ball. Wish it had a urethane cover, but, that won't slow me down from trying it.

I’d really like to try these out! The Wilson balles are getting a lot of love on THP, so they must be doing something right. I've been testing the DX2 Soft as my winter ball, and I really liked it. The Duo Spin sounds like it’s right up my alley; an affordable soft feel with a bit of extra bite on the green. Unfortunately they probably won’t hit the stores over here, as the previous DUO and the FG Tour never did.

Very interested in seeing how the Duo Spin performs (and the price point).

If the Spin can give me a couple extra yards and better stopping power on the green, it may be a no-brainer for me to switch over. I imagine I'll have to do a side-by-side with the new e series (at least e5 and e6) and figure out which one I want to support my game.

I think I'm going to be deciding between the new DUO and new e6 this season.

I absolutely love the e6 and I think I may be in the same boat, with the Chrome Soft in play as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back