2015 Wilson Staff Duo and Duo Spin Review Thread

It seems like Wilson does more golf business over there so having a limited line does not make sense to me.I am on linkedin with there sales manager for the UK and it seems they have the full line. Still, I would try the DX2 and see. It is an inexpensive experiment.
Really? I checked the specs and they sure look the same… Thanks!

I asked a local shopowner a while ago about several Wilson products (the DUO and FT tour for instance), and he told me Wilson ran a limited line of products in Europe, and that he wasn’t expecting them to release those here. He did say he had the DX2 which was supposed to have similar benefits. He probably didn’t know it’s the same ball either.

BTW: The word duo means exactly the same as it does in English in 90% of European languages, so I don’t know what was the logic behind the name change.

It seems like Wilson does more golf business over there so having a limited line does not make sense to me.I am on linkedin with there sales manager for the UK and it seems they have the full line. Still, I would try the DX2 and see. It is an inexpensive experiment.
You are right in europe the DX2 soft is the duo, and the DX3 spin is the duo spin. They will also bring the DX2 soft lady.

I believe they posted a graphic to Twitter today about free 2 ball sleeves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can't seem to find anything about this...

Can't seem to find anything about this...

It may have been an email from Golfsmith, I might be wrong. I'll check when I'm back in the office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice write-up Hawk.

The Duo is my winter ball and I love it, excited to try the new lower compression offerings. The DUO Spin is very intriquing as well. Looks like I will be picking up a couple dozen in the fall.

Another nice write-up Hawk.

My "winter" ball this year is the Duo. Overall I like it's performance with the downside being minimal greenside spin. W/S seems to have solved that problem for me with the Duo Spin and I will have to purchase a box when they become available.

I would be very interested to see if any one can really tell any difference between the DUO and DUO Spin in a ball to ball comparison as the compression rate and construction are quite similar when they are played out on the course.

I have to believe if there was not a measurable difference they would not offer both versions. Seems like they go with a less is more theory on most product offerings.
I would be very interested to see if any one can really tell any difference between the DUO and DUO Spin in a ball to ball comparison as the compression rate and construction are quite similar when they are played out on the course.

I will grab a sleeve of both the new Duo's and the Duo Spin, and compare the iron approach shots and (resulting) chip shots with these balls on Saturday. I hope to be able to tell a difference with the approaches.

From the last page.

I liked both balls. If you gave both to me blindly I'm not sure I could tell the difference between them, but I'd say that about probably another few balls as well. Alignment aid never stood out to me as anything other than straight.

Same feel. Very nice. In terms of spin, ehh I don't know. I didn't notice any appreciable difference to my eye. Not to say that there may be a small launch monitor difference, but at least as far as what I saw the ball do on the green - seemed standard to me.

Regardless, one of the two is a top contender to be my ball of choice in cool weather or if there are leaves/other issues that make losing golf balls a concern. I'm loyal to price assuming performance is similar, so whatever I can get a better deal on.

Outside the differences in feel and the differences between urethane and surlyn (obviously not the case here) I think people overexaggerate the differences they see between balls anyway.

In all honesty, I haven't noticed a large difference between the Duo and Duo-Spin.

I was fully expecting to write a nice review comparing the Duo and the Duo Spin tonight.
Unfortunately, I lost all three Duo Spin balls within my first two holes (OB on the first drive, OB on the second hole, then lost the third in the desert on the same hole, par 5).
I will try again tomorrow. Easier course, hope for better luck with the balls.

I was fully expecting to write a nice review comparing the Duo and the Duo Spin tonight.
Unfortunately, I lost all three Duo Spin balls within my first two holes (OB on the first drive, OB on the second hole, then lost the third in the desert on the same hole, par 5).
Ouch. Rough start. How did you finish?

Sounds like a lot of side spin off the driver. That can't be good

Sounds like a lot of side spin off the driver. That can't be good

Nope. Bad swings, rushing after lunch.

I will try again today w Duo Spins...

I was at Golfsmith yesterday and they had overrun Duos for $12.98/dozen. The guy at the register said that if you dropped the Duo on a hard surface against any other ball, it would bounce higher. I tried it with a Pro-V and it did bounce higher. Not sure what it means....

I was at Golfsmith yesterday and they had overrun Duos for $12.98/dozen. The guy at the register said that if you dropped the Duo on a hard surface against any other ball, it would bounce higher. I tried it with a Pro-V and it did bounce higher. Not sure what it means....

They do that in their commercial as well.

I think it means that the ball which goes higher has a lower compression which makes sense.

And the Duo is a lower compression ball than the Pro-V1.

Played a Duo Spin today, had some great shots, it does not spin as much as the ProV1 or other urethane balls spin, but definitely has more spin the Duo. Approach shots from 7 thru 60 wedge did not roll more than 5-10 feet from the ball mark.

Are these out in stores yet?

So I did a little test with these two golf balls recently around the greens. I wanted to find out if the Spin model was in fact a spin increased model. So I setup 24 balls, 12 of each of these and mixed them up. The plan was to alternate between them on nothing but short chips and see what I found. When averaging all of the shots together (using a launch monitor here), there was approximately 300 rpms of spin more in the Spin model than that of the regular model. That might sound like a lot more, but in reality it is a pretty small amount.

The reality of this is that none of these should be looked for for extreme short game spin, for that one should look at getting a urethane covered ball and Wilson makes one in the FG Tour if you want to stay in the brand lineup. The Duo Spin model did increase spin around the greens, but not by a huge amount.

So I did a little test with these two golf balls recently around the greens. I wanted to find out if the Spin model was in fact a spin increased model. So I setup 24 balls, 12 of each of these and mixed them up. The plan was to alternate between them on nothing but short chips and see what I found. When averaging all of the shots together (using a launch monitor here), there was approximately 300 rpms of spin more in the Spin model than that of the regular model. That might sound like a lot more, but in reality it is a pretty small amount.

The reality of this is that none of these should be looked for for extreme short game spin, for that one should look at getting a urethane covered ball and Wilson makes one in the FG Tour if you want to stay in the brand lineup. The Duo Spin model did increase spin around the greens, but not by a huge amount.
Thanks for the test and the info. You said these were short chips, would the difference in spin increase with longer shots, I.e. scoring irons into the green?

Back