2016 THP Kickoff Classic Sponsored By Kentwool

Where are you guys playing at here in GA? I went out yesterday in Suwannee and the course was super soggy.

Where are you guys playing at here in GA? I went out yesterday in Suwannee and the course was super soggy.

Courses are that way down in south GA also.

Gone through the course tour of the Lakes Course a couple of times and wind is definitely going to be a factor, and those Par 3s they are definitely going to test the iron game out.

I do want to try some Kentwool gear before we get our stuff at the event, just not sure if I want to do tour profile or low profile.

Good luck to both teams. Sounds like a lot of fun! I need to get involved in some of these events.

We (T0AD, Just_Hacking, Rambler and I down in middle Georgia, below Perry. Wet down there too! Two holes were closed with flooding.

Gone through the course tour of the Lakes Course a couple of times and wind is definitely going to be a factor, and those Par 3s they are definitely going to test the iron game out.

the light was fading but this is why the wind is a factor
1837b3b10f4d4814d360931b926f8b47.jpg

it's a huge lake that several holes are built around. there's other water too, but the wind can get going.

another recommendation or something for jb to consider: a rangefinder with slope. there are many holes that go down then up, so you're hitting from an elevated tee box then to an elevated green. I had several shots last week where slope had me adding a club. so having slope on your laser can be a big advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the light was fading but this is why the wind is a factor

it's a huge lake that several holes are built around. there's other water too, but the wind can get going.

another recommendation or something for jb to consider: a rangefinder with slope. there are many holes that go down then up, so you're hitting from an elevated tee box then to an elevated green. I had several shots last week where slope had me adding a club. so having slope on your laser can be a big advantage.

Which hole is that?

Hey WillWhite

Just sent you a PM about golf tomorrow if you are off work and want to play. Even if you can't make it tomorrow we should definitely get out together prior to the event since I'm in Atlanta too.

More tune up for me today with another round this afternoon. I will find my tee game today! Looks like tomorrow will be a day of rest with 80% chance of rain. Indoor putting will certainly be in order though.
Heading to range this afternoon myself. Rain and wind here guarantee a heated bay, but it is still a chance to get some swings in.

With the weather not cooperating, so I will spending a good deal of time looking at the course set up.

Which hole is that?

that pic was taken coming off 16, which is a tricky hard dogleg right 297y par 4. you can go for the green from the tee box, but it's all carry with no margin for error. so you want to lay up NO MORE THAN 180y, which will leave you anywhere from 160 to 110 depending how far right you want to go and how much you want to flirt with the water. you will be able to see the top of the 150y marker, and you don't want to aim much more than 10y right of it. that hole is what i consider to be target golf.

that pic was taken coming off 16, which is a tricky hard dogleg right 297y par 4. you can go for the green from the tee box, but it's all carry with no margin for error. so you want to lay up NO MORE THAN 180y, which will leave you anywhere from 160 to 110 depending how far right you want to go and how much you want to flirt with the water. you will be able to see the top of the 150y marker, and you don't want to aim much more than 10y right of it. that hole is what i consider to be target golf.

297 you say? Haha I laugh in the face of danger!

(So, I'll definitely be laying up, knocking it close and tapping in for bird, at least that's how I see it in my mind, which is usually a lot different than reality)

That hole looks like it plays harder than it looks on the course tour for sure.

(So, I'll definitely be laying up, knocking it close and tapping in for bird, at least that's how I see it in my mind, which is usually a lot different than reality)

297y is the long way; i didn't laser the flag but i'd guess it's 270ish with 250ish to cover. it just messes with your head. you have to COMMIT to your distance off the tee regardless of what line you take. the farther right you go, the shorter the shot you have, but you'll also have a downhill/sidehill lie. the green isn't huge, but it has some nasty slope to it so you need to be precise with your approach. as short as it is, i don't consider it to be a birdie hole.

297y is the long way; i didn't laser the flag but i'd guess it's 270ish with 250ish to cover. it just messes with your head. you have to COMMIT to your distance off the tee regardless of what line you take. the farther right you go, the shorter the shot you have, but you'll also have a downhill/sidehill lie. the green isn't huge, but it has some nasty slope to it so you need to be precise with your approach. as short as it is, i don't consider it to be a birdie hole.

The other issue is there are some trees down the right side of the fairway and around the tee box. Depending on what tees you play, it becomes more risk than reward.... It reminds me a lot of a short version of the finishing hole at Caledonia

What a gorgeous look at 15 at lake:
gn-la15a.jpg

And what a way to finish 18 on the links:
gn-li18@2x.jpg

my favorite hole on that course I always pick up a stroke or 2 on the guys in my group. The term "layup" is just not in there vocabulary.

I got out for a quick 18 again today and played fairly well, need some work on the mid irons and less than full approach shots. Missed only 1 fairway on a fairly tight driving course. My main 2 faults are I am a short knocker which I cannot change but the other is a tendency to quit on shots because of the bad back, something I tell myself not to do before each swing. It is working pretty good and I imagine it will not be a fault at all after my next ablation on my lower back in late Jan or early Feb.

Excited to be working toward a win by the Wool Warriors. :thumb:

Got in some serious wind game practice today. Pretty good sustained winds the whole round and a lot of really big gusting going on. The main thing I learned today was that I need to lose my Callaway wrench so I will not be tempted to experiment with other shafts in my driver. Matrix shaft is in there to stay as, despite the very windy conditions, my driving game was significantly better than it was the last 2 rounds. Even though the score did not reflect it, my ball striking was better today than it has been recently.

Really happy i got out yesterday and hit golf balls at the range... 5-8 inches of snow today/tonight is going to probably push the rest of my pre-event practice indoors onto the foresight LM.

my favorite hole on that course I always pick up a stroke or 2 on the guys in my group. The term "layup" is just not in there vocabulary.

Me neither. Although in a team event I will play to the situation and lay up if needed. Going for it sounds more fun though.

Me neither. Although in a team event I will play to the situation and lay up if needed. Going for it sounds more fun though.
You hit your lob wedge like 260*, when the heck would you ever layup?

:alien:

Got out and hit short edged shots for about 45 minutes this afternoon on my Callaway mat. Wedge game is in decent form for not having hit balls in a month.

I hit one 3 wood off into the woods at about 80% effort and it was a beauty. Good contact at 80% instead of s 90-100% swing is something I really want to work on before this event. The tricky part will be learning the distances but I think I'd get much more consistent results.

Glad I got two good days of practice in while in Florida for Christmas because today we had 6+ inches of slushy ice, sleet and snow... What a mess!! It'll be trips to the golf dome for me starting asap!
680fbe519370789d04b1cdd942225561.jpg

I got out for a quick 18 again today and played fairly well, need some work on the mid irons and less than full approach shots. Missed only 1 fairway on a fairly tight driving course. My main 2 faults are I am a short knocker which I cannot change but the other is a tendency to quit on shots because of the bad back, something I tell myself not to do before each swing. It is working pretty good and I imagine it will not be a fault at all after my next ablation on my lower back in late Jan or early Feb.

Excited to be working toward a win by the Wool Warriors. :thumb:

Keep hitting those fairways and the second shots will fall into place. Remain patient and keep working. Play to your strengths.

Back