2016 THP Kickoff Classic Sponsored By Kentwool

Slower will be course dependent.
Grain plays a factor however in terms of ball movement.
Yeah I feel like the Bermuda is grainier I guess.

Thought about this event big time today. Match play was in effect and we got down 5 early. Fought all the way back and took it to extra holes. Competitive golf is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know it's not 2016 yet, but I was just thinking, We're on Deck!!!

Just finished more work by walking another 18 today. Results and details are in the what did you shoot thread. Once again, very good scoring with very mediocre tee game. Going to have to hit the range for the first time in a long time to get this figured out.

Just finished more work by walking another 18 today. Results and details are in the what did you shoot thread. Once again, very good scoring with very mediocre tee game. Going to have to hit the range for the first time in a long time to get this figured out.

#doworkplayer

On the course today, I thought a lot about this event and the Team aspect of it. Team Matchplay events are an interesting dynamic, and always turn me in to a thinker on the course.

Today, I thought a lot about my game, and the type of golfer I am. On a few different occasions today, I thought out my shot decision and played smart. I'm not the most talented golfer in the world, but what I lack in skill, I make up in the ability to think and put myself in an optimal situation that would play to my strength. One of the best examples today was on a longer Par 4 I played today...

This hole played around 440 today, and was in to the end. With a decent tee shot, I was still sitting about 210 from the green, which was uphill. Rather than pull my hybrid, which I know can get me that distance but also know that trying to be pinpoint accurate in to a green just wont happen, I pull an 8 iron. Knock my shot perfect and am sitting just under 50 yards to the pin. Hit an easy 60* and drain the putt for par. During this hole, I thought repeatedly about being smart vs trying to pull of a high risk shot.

When it comes to Team Matchplay, that kind of thinking can really make or break a pairing. Working with your teammate around the course more often than not will lead to success. Sometimes it's easy to just get your number, grab a club and swing. For me, more often than not, it's the preshot thought process that helps me get better scores.

Great post Ryan! I started to play smarter on the course a couple of years ago and it has definitely paid dividends on the scorecard. The last two days on the course were perfect examples. I have been struggling mightily getting the ball in the fairway off the tee but still scoring very well by not trying to hit some kind of miraculous shot over, around or through trees. Just get the ball back to safety, execute the next shot and give yourself a chance at par or bogey at worst instead of the potential for a big number. The final number on the scorecard will typically be better with smart as opposed to reckless play.

This will be my first big team event and I certainly appreciate yours and others advice and recommendations on how to think and play it.

Had another mixed bag today. Thought a ton about staying in the hole, and while I hit some real stinkers on the front, a slight stance change had me hitting it like I know I can on the back. Used my THPMC clubs minus putter and hybrids. They just feel right!

JM

Did some range work today along with playing a 12 hole short course. Had a case of the lefts with the driver and fairways. Irons felt good but distance control was difficult with a brisk wind.

Short game was not sharp, left myself with long putts that I wasn't lagging effectively. It'll be several days before I can get back to work, and I expect it'll be in much cooler weather.

Guys I love the work that is going on in preparation for this event. Two months is going to sneak up fast so all the hard work will pay off. I loved seeing some live round post from both teams today.lets keep it going and get the forum excited about this event. If love to see an event like this return in 2017.

Let me drop a note and say awesome work by the captains.
They are active all over the place, they are encouraging, asking, telling and its fun to watch.

#THPKickoffClassic is going to be awesome and you boys are in good hands.

Man...finally settling down from all the Christmas stuff and finally letting this settle in some. Must say my gym session tonight was strongly motivated by this trip. I am so pumped for the team format and look forward to having some fun with all the formats!

Played some golf with members of each team, today. They are already putting in work. Coincidently, I was teamed with Just_Hacking and we were fortunate to get the best ball win over T0AD, and cpljohnst. Is that an omen?... Probably not, but what team to pull for?

Played some golf with members of each team, today. They are already putting in work. Coincidently, I was teamed with Just_Hacking and we were fortunate to get the best ball win over T0AD, and cpljohnst. Is that an omen?... Probably not, but what team to pull for?

Great job Jeremy! Helping get my teammate in the winning frame of mind! Do work John!!!

I think the outcome is an omen for sure

Man...finally settling down from all the Christmas stuff and finally letting this settle in some. Must say my gym session tonight was strongly motivated by this trip. I am so pumped for the team format and look forward to having some fun with all the formats!

my lord, I called my buddy at the secret service to look for you. Thought you may have passed out when you heard you were playing with Panda. I kid of course!! Holidays tend to get in the way of real life stuff like the #thpkickoffclassic

Happy holidays buddy, glad to have you on the squad. Keep up the good work. Let me know if I can assist with the game in anyway. That goes for both sides. If you guys need little tune up suggestions just post in the 'swing tips'

I like hearing this, you play a lot with just_hacking? Might have to shower you with chocolate treats wrapped in red and white foil.

Just_Hacking played well yesterday. His short game was very sharp and his woods and irons were struck solid must of the round.

Coming off a six week layoff I kind of left T0AD out on an island a bit. I really enjoyed the round and the match play.
I've got a lot to work on right now in my game. Did hit a few solid shots though.

...I like hearing this, you play a lot with just_hacking? Might have to shower you with chocolate treats wrapped in red and white foil.

Unfortunately, no, I don't. Anytime I get on the course with GA THPers is a bonus.
Just_Hacking played well yesterday. His short game was very sharp and his woods and irons were struck solid must of the round.

Coming off a six week layoff I kind of left T0AD out on an island a bit. I really enjoyed the round and the match play.
I've got a lot to work on right now in my game. Did hit a few solid shots though.
Maybe a little rusty, but both you and T0AD started to loosen up on the back nine. All three of you will be ready for the Kickoff, no doubt about that.

Great job Jeremy! Helping get my teammate in the winning frame of mind! Do work John!!!
You've seen John play, a bunch. Forget all you've seen. He's a new man. He and that V-Series Heavenwood were made for each other, and his wedge game....? Please. Dude can check up a ball now like a champ. A month of work and he's ready!

*Yeah, he isn't on #TeamWoolWarriors but I'm excited for his up and coming game.

I have no doubt in my mind that you will not be ready once we tee it up. Holidays and other stuff have been standing in your way. Thanks for taing it easy on my boy and giving him some added confidence.

Now as for TOAD and an island, well were there any trees on this island that may have grabbed a club or two? :alien:

You've seen John play, a bunch. Forget all you've seen. He's a new man. He and that V-Series Heavenwood were made for each other, and his wedge game....? Please. Dude can check up a ball now like a champ. A month of work and he's ready!

*Yeah, he isn't on #TeamWoolWarriors but I'm excited for his up and coming game.
Can not wait to see you big boy. Keep working on that game.

Unfortunately, no, I don't. Anytime I get on the course with GA THPers is a bonus.

Maybe a little rusty, but both you and T0AD started to loosen up on the back nine. All three of you will be ready for the Kickoff, no doubt about that.
More rust on my game than a WWII ship at the bottom of the Pacific. I did play 8 shots better on the back. There is hope. Thanks for playing the match play game with us Rambler.

Same here T0AD. It was great to see Just_Hacking play so well. I know how much he loves this game. He'll be ready for the Kentwool THP Kickoff!

Love the hear it! I knew John had it in him to get much better once the confidence started to kick in. Unlike for me, it sounds like the Heavenwood brought some magic to his game!

More tune up for me today with another round this afternoon. I will find my tee game today! Looks like tomorrow will be a day of rest with 80% chance of rain. Indoor putting will certainly be in order though.

More tune up for me today with another round this afternoon. I will find my tee game today! Looks like tomorrow will be a day of rest with 80% chance of rain. Indoor putting will certainly be in order though.

All rain for me today. I think I'll practice chipping balls over my 9 month old in the house. That should improve focus right?

All rain for me today. I think I'll practice chipping balls over my 9 month old in the house. That should improve focus right?

Or provide you lots of additional golf time in the future! Got to get the ball up in the air!

Back