2020 Better You Fitness Thread

Good workout tonight. Also did a lesson today which according to my Fitbit was a 30 minute workout. 10,000 steps at work as well.

I think this was mentioned in another thread, but I've been reading The Barbell Prescription by Dr. Jonathon M. Sullivan, who started Greysteel Strength & Conditioning

He references a lot of recent data that suggest pretty strongly that weight training is better for most people so much more than aerobic training, and that weight training (if done right) is more effective at lowering risk of cardiovascular disease than exercises like running.

One of his quotes:
"Exercise is the most powerful medicine in the world, especially for the aging adult, and if you aren’t engaged in a vigorous exercise program, you are opening the door to the sick aging phenotype."
btw, here's Dr. Sullivan practicing what he preaches.

Guess it was a better workout then I thought. I’m falling a sleep already so no need to fight it.

My wife and I do SaraBeth yoga videos from YouTube. She does a good job of telling you where you should be feeling it and breathing patterns. We've done a lot of her beginner stuff, now moving to her other videos. She also has a lot for specific areas, lower back, legs, et c.
We will have to check that out. (y)

20/28 days so far this year. Was sick last week, but back at it again this week. Just trying to maintain a much more active lifestyle, after spending years working my feet in the military and then retail the last several years of having an office job and flying towards 40 at a breakneck pace (who hit the fast forward button?) I‘ve been trying to get back in better shape and just live a healthier lifestyle overall. No rush to hit a number, I just want to be more active and weigh less than I do now.

Rise and Grind! Today's a new day!20200129_053655.jpg

This is a great thread. I've never really worked too much on fitness, and over the years have gradually exercised less and eaten & drunk more. I realised that I put a stack of weight on and lots of things suffered, from sleep patterns to flexibility and much more. I've always been a really slim guy, but over the past couple of years I have become much more...well, upholstered.

Took the decision to exercise more, eat better and try to get back down to the weight I was at before, and am nearly there, 20lb down in a couple of months, with only 10lb more to go. Am joining a gym and trying to do a bit of strength training, and flexibility.

Great to see everyone else's stories here as well.

20/28 days so far this year. Was sick last week, but back at it again this week. Just trying to maintain a much more active lifestyle, after spending years working my feet in the military and then retail the last several years of having an office job and flying towards 40 at a breakneck pace (who hit the fast forward button?) I‘ve been trying to get back in better shape and just live a healthier lifestyle overall. No rush to hit a number, I just want to be more active and weigh less than I do now.
That's what we're all here for, feel better than we do now! Those office jobs can be a detriment to health, so being active is key! Can't wait to see you progress!

This is a great thread. I've never really worked too much on fitness, and over the years have gradually exercised less and eaten & drunk more. I realised that I put a stack of weight on and lots of things suffered, from sleep patterns to flexibility and much more. I've always been a really slim guy, but over the past couple of years I have become much more...well, upholstered.

Took the decision to exercise more, eat better and try to get back down to the weight I was at before, and am nearly there, 20lb down in a couple of months, with only 10lb more to go. Am joining a gym and trying to do a bit of strength training, and flexibility.

Great to see everyone else's stories here as well.
Great progress so far man! Keep it up! Get a good couple month's in before Utah in May!

Great progress so far man! Keep it up! Get a good couple month's in before Utah in May!
Hahaha that's the idea - I'll be a formidable athlete by May :ROFLMAO:

Went running with my daughter when I got home from work.. So far I've been losing a little weight while adding muscle. I need to add in more core strength work

Made it to the gym again tonight. Trying to get there at least 5 days a week, hopefully for an hour, but if nothing else at least 30 minutes on the eliptical.

Still dealing with back tightness. Spent my time on the foam roller and stretching. I will do the same in the morning before i
Play.

Been feeling terrible the last few days. Fever, chills, cough. Finally turning the corner I think, so hope to get back in my workout routine soon. On a plus, my lack of an appetite has brought me down to my pre holiday weight. Good with the bad I guess.

Working on core and stretching as well as foam rolling to work through some back spasms.

Another short (2500 m) rowing workout finished - but this was after work, which I almost never do, so I'm counting it as a win. Gotta start somewhere.

Feeling good since I started a bit more this week. ? 4 days walking at lunch and rowing workout on Mondays and will do another rowing workout tomorrow.

Bowling is getting in my way of working out Wednesday and Thursday. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Alright didnt end January the way i would have liked. And missed day one of February due to sickness. Looking to ease back into it today and then get after month #2 of 2020. Glad so many jumped in here to make January a robust discussion with lots of motivation! Cant wait to see where February will take each of us! Keep working on a plan that will get you where you want to be. Work each day, week, and month towards those goals and see where it takes you! Lots of good ahead for those of us who keep working!

The house remodeling at the lake is really a hindrance on my workout. Just about done so hopefully I can get back to 4-5 days a week soon. Also incorporated some foam roller and stretching this past week. Think I’m gonna drop the speed training work as it seems to do more negative to my back then good.

Alright didnt end January the way i would have liked. And missed day one of February due to sickness. Looking to ease back into it today and then get after month #2 of 2020. Glad so many jumped in here to make January a robust discussion with lots of motivation! Cant wait to see where February will take each of us! Keep working on a plan that will get you where you want to be. Work each day, week, and month towards those goals and see where it takes you! Lots of good ahead for those of us who keep working!
Hope that you're feeling better (y)

Glad that I jumped into this thread the last few weeks, definitley making a difference with some positive support and motivation to get up and do something. :cool:

Starting Feb better than Jan. 5000 m rowing this morning. Time to start the heavy lifting

Joined a gym and will start tomorrow.
Nice work! Good luck adding this to your diet plan! Cant wait to see your progress!

Back