2022 Callaway Chrome Soft Golf Balls

Can't wait to try all of these in Yellow this spring to see which one works best for me.

Have been a CSX fan since it was recommended to me by @JB last summer here on forum. Looking forward to new improved CXS and the LS models. Will give both a try. Thanks for great write up on the complete new line of clubs and balls @Jman. Great read as always.

All this new content this morning is making my head spin.

I'm gonna need a minute.

I'm not getting anything useful done. I think I need to bug out at lunch, hit the golf store, and then maybe come home, collapse, and work remote this evening.

I am a huge Chrome Soft fan! I originally made the commitment to play one ball (Supersoft) for an entire season, but moved to Chrome Soft after finding one and realizing the true meaning of greenside spin. I went to CSX shortly after and never looked back! I did my fitting at ECPC with CSX and I’m not going back.

CSX is long off the tee! And I mean loooong. My Arccos smart distance is up to 277 with driver. The spin profile is ideal for my irons and I’m spinning the ball back like I never could before! But back to where it began… greenside. This is where I notice the biggest gains. With CSX I can stop partial wedges from 50 yards and that makes this ball an absolute weapon! You can definitely feel the firmness of this ball on and around the greens, but the ants not something that has negatively impacted my feel on chips and putts. And lastly, TRIPLE TRACK. Use it!!! I currently only use it on the green to line up putts and it’s invaluable!

Now to what’s inside. I was blown away by Jason Finley’s golf ball presentation. The precision technology is crazy cool and the results are measurable. Callaway’s efforts in quality control are unmatched! And the ball is even faster this year! 😁

I tried CSX LS and CS last year and liked them both. Went to a ball fitting and CS gave me the best numbers (along with TP5). I am looking forward to trying the new CS and CSXLS and comparing to the last CS.

good article and I look forward to this in 2022

It's interesting reading how many people are in the X and LS versions of this ball as opposed to the standard Chrome Soft. Seems like it's around 90%.

The packaging is way better. Its interesting to hear them claim to have the most advanced 3d xray for golf balls today. Thats a good thing. Not sure its accurate, but being more precise is what we all need in our golf games and we shouldnt be leaving the variables up to out of center layers inside of a golf ball. We are all bad enough on our own. lol.

It doesnt look like the "look" of the ball has changed at all and it sounds like the feel is still there. Worth a harder look now that their engineering and xray capabilities are top notch.

It's interesting reading how many people are in the X and LS versions of this ball as opposed to the standard Chrome Soft. Seems like it's around 90%.
While I currently play CSX, I think I could have gotten away with any of the three. I was using the wrong shaft flex and had super light iron shafts. Moving forward based on my fitting and new clubs, I think CSX will definitely be the correct fit.

To be fair, no one else is using 3D X-ray, X-ray yes, not this newest setup where they can look at every single layer.

This is just awesome!!!

The packaging is way better. Its interesting to hear them claim to have the most advanced 3d xray for golf balls today. Thats a good thing. Not sure its accurate, but being more precise is what we all need in our golf games and we shouldnt be leaving the variables up to out of center layers inside of a golf ball. We are all bad enough on our own. lol.

It doesnt look like the "look" of the ball has changed at all and it sounds like the feel is still there. Worth a harder look now that their engineering and xray capabilities are top notch.
They certainly make some pretty measurable claims regarding the new technology, per @Jman :

While altering and evolving the core, cover, and aerodynamic properties of the entire lineup is definitely a part of the story, the bigger tale to be told is what Callaway calls “Concentricity Offset”. In the simplest terms, yes, this is about ensuring things are centered, but not just the core, rather the 3D X-Ray and its high-definition imagery means Callaway can now check every single layer of their golf balls to ensure manufacturing specs are hit to within 1/1000th of an inch.

To be fair, that isn't what took place. As a company they said there were issues previously, made a huge investment starting 3-4 years ago. And they are the only ones doing this.

This should NOT go unnoticed. It's a big reason, I've had an interest in their golf ball, besides the fact it was the one which was best for me. They are investing in making a better ball from top to bottom. So, with this capital investment, I only expect their golf ball to get better and better each release. I can't say first hand that the '22s are WAY better than the '21s, but they are trending upwards on an exponential path from what little information I have.

They certainly make some pretty measurable claims regarding the new technology, per @Jman :

While altering and evolving the core, cover, and aerodynamic properties of the entire lineup is definitely a part of the story, the bigger tale to be told is what Callaway calls “Concentricity Offset”. In the simplest terms, yes, this is about ensuring things are centered, but not just the core, rather the 3D X-Ray and its high-definition imagery means Callaway can now check every single layer of their golf balls to ensure manufacturing specs are hit to within 1/1000th of an inch.
My guy! (y)

I need a little more stopping power on the CS similar to the B-Stone RXS. I love the CS Truvis designs but more greenside spin, please.

10 feet and in makes the Triple Track worth it!
This is me. I'm not sure the line-up has an 'optimal' ball for me, little worried the Chromesoft dropping iron spin will hurt, but making more 10 foot putts will have the biggest impact and triple track is so good...

I am also fascinated to a degree by this. I played the 22 Chrome Soft at the Dream Foursome. And I will likely play the 22 Truvis this season.

Yup and i read that...Im just not sure its something they can claim they are the only ones doing. Maybe they are. But, most other companies have been utilizing xrays for years. Haha.....maybe thats not what theyre claiming 🤣🤣🤣 Whatever the case, Im glad to see them improving their design and engineering to produce a top caliber consistency that we can all benefit from.

Chrome Soft X LS & Chrome Soft X Review

Driver
Off the tee, both of these balls are very hot. They are both on the higher compression side, but they don’t feel like rocks off the driver. They pair very nicely with the new line of drivers. The launch and spin differences between the two models was not significant for me, which is a good thing! They both come off with a relatively high launch and low spin with the LS being slightly higher launch and about 100rpm lower spin. Not sure if this is based on strike variance, but I like that they have such a similar profile off the driver.

Irons
This is where the performance characteristics really separate between the X and the LS. They are both very fast off the club like they were with the driver, and the launch was pretty similar (LS maybe a touch lower than X). The spin difference was noticeable however. The LS was consistently 300-400 rpm lower than the X, which is great for someone like me who struggles with excess iron spin. The major improvement from the original LS is how much softer the cover feels off the irons. I actually got the chance to play the LS and the X during the singles round at the Dye. Through 8 holes, I noticed that the greens were more firm than they were on the Clive and approaches were running out more than the day prior. I switched to the X for the back 9, and it was a seamless change. They feel so similar now that I can envision myself using both balls depending on where I’m playing and what the conditions are like. If I’m playing in very dry conditions or at altitude, I can definitely see myself using the regular X where extra spin is helpful to hold greens. On an every day basis in Ohio, the CSX LS will be the ball I go to because it’s typically soft enough where I don’t need that spin boost.

Wedges
If you didn’t tell me which ball you had in front of me from 50 yards, I wouldn’t have been able to tell the difference. This is also the biggest improvement for the CSX LS. There was some inconsistency with some wedge shots that seemed to come off without any spin if it wasn’t nipped just right on the partial shots. There was a few shots last season that stood out to me where I thought I hit a good pitch, and it just didn’t stop. That doesn’t seem to be a problem anymore with the new cover. The feedback is phenomenal, and also so much softer than the original. When you hit it perfect, it feels great. When you miss it by a groove, it feels much better than the original and more importantly, you don’t get the spin drop offs that run out 10 feet past where you thought they’d stop.

Putter
Off the putter, the new cover of the LS feels significantly better as well similarly to the wedges. The cover improvements are fantastic, and the Triple Track is the best alignment aid in golf.

Durability
This is the one concern I still have with the CSX LS. There was one ball in California that was noticeable scuffed up after a bunker shot that I hit well and was unusable after that. I didn’t notice any damage outside of the expected from normal play, but this is something I will be paying attention to this season.

Overall Thoughts
These golf balls are phenomenal! The quality control in the production is unmatched, and after talking in depth with Finley. I know all 3 golf balls in every sleeves of Chrome Soft will be exactly the same. They feel great off of every club, and they are very consistent. The X and LS perform exactly as advertised. If you liked the original LS, you’re going to love the upgrades. The LS will be my ball of choice for the foreseeable future.
Thank you for this review. This really puts a lot of information in an understandable format. Very well done!!

Love to hear about the new LSX. Softer feel with more spin around greens than previous model. Exactly what I'm looking for.

Yup and i read that...Im just not sure its something they can claim they are the only ones doing. Maybe they are. But, most other companies have been utilizing xrays for years. Haha.....maybe thats not what theyre claiming 🤣🤣🤣 Whatever the case, Im glad to see them improving their design and engineering to produce a top caliber consistency that we can all benefit from.
My understanding is that’s like comparing a car to a pickup truck in that they’re both vehicles. OEM’s have been using x-rays for years, but this is a completely different beast with a different purpose. We were shown a graphic from Callaway demonstrating the impact of the precision technology on shot dispersion and it was a material difference. And that was with a robot hitting the ball!

My understanding is that’s like comparing a car to a pickup truck in that they’re both vehicles. OEM’s have been using x-rays for years, but this is a completely different beast with a different purpose. We were shown a graphic from Callaway demonstrating the impact of the precision technology on shot dispersion and it was a material difference. And that was with a robot hitting the ball!
This! They said straight up in the presentation that everyone is using X-Ray. It's the way that x-ray is now being used in the 3D space that only Callaway is doing and able to do.

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS First Impressions

As I mentioned in my Driver impressions post. I hardly have any time getting numbers on anything. That will come with time and I’m going to try to get as in-depth as I can in comparisons between the 2021 LS and the 2022 LS. I will work on getting numbers for the following categories

Chipping and pitches
Full wedges and short irons
Long irons and woods

But until that time, all I have for you currently are initial impressions and I want to break down two specific categories.

Feel – This is the unicorn ball that’s been talked about. A complaint about the previous LS was how hard the ball felt. Well Callaway listened. This ball FEELS softer even though it has the same compression as last years. This comes down to their new cover. This is true off of woods, irons, wedges and putter. But here’s the weird thing. I tried to get a video to get the sound of the ball off of the new Tri-Hot putter. There’s no discernable difference in sound (to my ear and indoors) no matter how many times I watch the videos back. But you can FEEL that it’s softer. And that’s why this is a ball that needs to be tried to be believed.

Durability – Another issue that Callaway has tried to address is the durability issue of the line. While I can’t speak directly to it since I lost an entire dozen balls in two days, I never once had an issue with a ball after a hole. I had plenty of sand shots and not once did I see a mark that would cause ME to retire a ball. I know others' thresholds for chucking a ball are a bit tighter than mine. But when I played in Chicago with the LS line last year, I lost three balls specifically to bunker shots. Not once was that an issue during my two rounds at the Hideaway. More testing will be needed but first impressions was it was improved as stated. Now I do want to say, it’s not going to be perfect. There’s only so much you can do while still keeping the cover as thin as they want. Performance or durability. Pick one side of the center line on those. You can’t continue to get super high performance AND super high durability but Callaway believes they’ve found a great compromise on the durability side while keeping performance top notch.

I want to speak briefly on performance as well. The LS stands for Low Spin. The performance of the X but a lower spinning version. Their goal with the ball this year was to lower the spin with the driver while keeping the ball in the same sentence as the X with regards to spin around the green. And this is why they believe this ball is a unicorn. Without numbers, I can’t show it, but I know some teammates will have numbers to back this up. I think they’ve done it. My only claim to this right now is I’ve never been one to spin a ball on the green. I’m a hop and stop kind of player. Three times during my rounds in California, I had balls rip back a couple feet on me. Twice with wedges and once with a 9i. I repeat, a 9i. And all three times were on the Dye course. I can’t wait to get data on this stuff for you guys but I think I have my ball for the year and beyond!

And I haven’t even spoken to their new process on QC! It's mentioned in the write up, but EVERY SINGLE BALL is being 3D x-ray screened to insure centered cores AND centered layers. They tested the technology this last year with their tour staff and the results spoke for themselves. SG improved for EVERY staffer. The tech they are deploying is truly game changing and will be bringing Callaway to the forefront of discussions for best ball produced quicker than some would imagine. It’s mind-blowing stuff. And the fact that it’s being brought to the consumer level, even more so!

The #LunaticFringe is a small sample size. 🤣

The packaging is way better. Its interesting to hear them claim to have the most advanced 3d xray for golf balls today. Thats a good thing. Not sure its accurate,

What is not accurate?

Back