2022 Callaway Chrome Soft Golf Balls

Stocked up on X for Myrtle so let’s do this.

I was having a conversation with Jason Finley yesterday regarding the Chrome Soft.
I went to a brand agnostic ball fitting done at my previous club and I was fit into the Chrome Soft X LS. I played them and enjoyed. Yet I still find myself grabbing the Chrome Soft because I crave that feel off the irons where its almost plush feeling.

I made the decision to play the CSX LS this weekend for our club championships, and despite some slight reservations about how it would handle the quicker than normal greens, I was very impressed with the performance

A bad shot is still a bad shot regardless of the ball, but off the tee it put me in places that I haven't been for a long time and left me with shorter irons into the green
Mid to long irons still saw the ball pretty close to where it landed on the green, and wedges were drop and stop with some spinning back at times
Off the putter it definitely sounds a bit different to the CSX, but it doesn't bother me at all

This year is also the first year where I decided to give Triple Track a go, and having played a good number of rounds with it, I am likely going to stick with it - I don't keep stats, so I can't say if my putting has improved with it, but there have been a few times where I have set it on the line I wanted but then re-adjusted it based on what I thought I was seeing and then missing the putt on the side where I made the adjustment to. Maybe I am not as bad at reading greens as I thought and I just need to trust myself more when I am picking the line

Overall, the CSX and CSX LS are both balls I could happily play

Switched from CSX-LS to CSX while in Myrtle Beach with the wet conditions. I have found that in wet conditions the extra spin helps and performs best for me. I was seeing great ball flights and think they will be my go to in similar conditions.

So I've been playing the CSX a lot lately. I've needed a bit of spin. When I go after one sometimes it can be a little on the low end for what I'm trying to do. And this is a good example

20220822_144309.jpg

It's a tough approach into this par 5. Had 211 and a slightly blocked line, and a 6 just didn't make sense. I would have had to start it at trouble and if I bent it well it would be nearly impossible to hold. So I went with a balls out 7i. Little more launch and spin, and the Rhambo combo with the TCBs delivered. I couldn't believe that had enough to stay there. For reference on the green, that putt I tapped on a 8' high 5' lone line, and had a 12' comebacker left from below the hole. It's a maddening green. It's not an approach shot I have to do very often, but I've needed some spin on others lately too and it helps reign in some distance. I've appreciated having or and being familiar with it.

Oh, and I always (almost) use CSX on monitor. I don't know if I've ever mentioned that in here. I never understood why people use the same ball indoors and out when they always spin it less indoors. So I use the CSX on GC and have found it approximates better to LS on course for me. Like, if I'm at 59-6000 spin on monitor with a stock 7, that's closer to what the LS is for me outdoors. That's been handy this year too.

Last edited:
Played the x in Myrtle and was extremely happy around the greens on nipped shots that spun a bunch and could stop quickly on the nicer greens. The greens sanded was anyones guess as it sometimes would then wouldn’t. Hard to gauge distance as you could wear the humidity and the rain. The cover against the new Jaws Raw wedges was no match was the little disappointing part as there were noticeable chews in 1-2 wedge shots that kept happening through the whole week. The x continues to be my ball so far with spurts of LS just to change things up.

Hear me out, @OldandStiff and TT seem like a Hallmark love story in the making. He was dead set on hating them but eventually turns around and loves them for how great they truly are. Just think we’re all extras in the film right now 😆. Royalties can be sent in the form of TT CSX 🤣

Picking up a box of Chromesoft X (in Myrtle) just because LS wasn't available. Unfortunately American Airlines, made sure I didn't have a chance to try any. Gonna try some out on the course today to see how they compare. I remember knowing right away in previous years that X wasn't for me, but I'm really curious if things have changed.

I bought another box of the LS. Greens here are softer than they were back a couple months ago so need to give them another test.

Hear me out, @OldandStiff and TT seem like a Hallmark love story in the making. He was dead set on hating them but eventually turns around and loves them for how great they truly are. Just think we’re all extras in the film right now 😆. Royalties can be sent in the form of TT CSX 🤣
This is not a Hallmark story. There was no Meet Cute. There were enemies declared, and lines drawn.. and. not. drawn.:unsure: This is the thing where we find ourselves in the same room and only one person comes out alive. And we leave the blood of the innocent and anonymous* in our wake. It's that kind of story.

:D

My non triple track CSX LS performed amazingly today. Some big bombs, super sticky wedges, winds completely ignored, and a smashed 227y 5i that landed like a teddy bear thrown onto a velvet sofa.

I was playing with a new couple this evening and the woman was impressed at how quickly the CSX was stopping.

I was within a few feet of my ball mark most of the night and that was with hitting some longer irons into greens.

So I've been playing the CSX a lot lately. I've needed a bit of spin. When I go after one sometimes it can be a little on the low end for what I'm trying to do. And this is a good example

View attachment 9114727

It's a tough approach into this par 5. Had 211 and a slightly blocked line, and a 6 just didn't make sense. I would have had to start it at trouble and if I bent it well it would be nearly impossible to hold. So I went with a balls out 7i. Little more launch and spin, and the Rhambo combo with the TCBs delivered. I couldn't believe that had enough to stay there. For reference on the green, that putt I tapped on a 8' high 5' lone line, and had a 12' comebacker left from below the hole. It's a maddening green. It's not an approach shot I have to do very often, but I've needed some spin on others lately too and it helps reign in some distance. I've appreciated having or and being familiar with it.

Oh, and I always (almost) use CSX on monitor. I don't know if I've ever mentioned that in here. I never understood why people use the same ball indoors and out when they always spin it less indoors. So I use the CSX on GC and have found it approximates better to LS on course for me. Like, if I'm at 59-6000 spin on monitor with a stock 7, that's closer to what the LS is for me outdoors. That's been handy this year too.

This switching balls for indoors vs. outdoors is next level ish.

My non triple track CSX LS performed amazingly today. Some big bombs, super sticky wedges, winds completely ignored, and a smashed 227y 5i that landed like a teddy bear thrown onto a velvet sofa.

Between the X and the LS I could go either way. Both of them are performing really well for me, kind of tough to tell spin these days as the greens I’ve played them on have been baked out during our heat wave or punched and sanded. The X is a monster off the tee for me, I kind of wish I would have tried these earlier in the year 😁.

Excited to try out this year's Chrome Soft, although rather late in the season. Hopefully the swing stands up to it, trying to do some comparisons with previous years Chrome Soft, X, and 2022 CS.

This switching balls for indoors vs. outdoors is next level ish.

I've been doing that for a while now. It only occurred to me the other day that I maybe hadn't mentioned it here. It's very useful.

I've been doing that for a while now. It only occurred to me the other day that I maybe hadn't mentioned it here. It's very useful.

I don't have access to an outdoor LM, so I only have this mental catalog of what my indoor numbers play like outdoors. So many questions. Might fault a processor. 🤯

Back