2022 Cobra Golf KING Forged Tec and Forged TEC X Irons

The Forged Tec X flat out performed for me under pressure this weekend. On good swings they were absolutes dialed in. On swings that weren’t quite right, the forgiveness bailed me out. Great clubs that are going to be in the bag for a long time

Hit some solid shots with these over the last few days. Some not so great ones, but that was more a me thing than an it thing.

Best shots that come to mind both involved 5i, one from 200 or so on a par 3 to 20ft, the other a 5i from 161 to 7-8ft. Both were just hit solid and held their lines beautifully.

Even used an 8i ad a bump and run from 6 paces off the green to a back pin that I hit to about 4ft to keep a great round going.

Some of the most solid irons I’ve ever gamed, it’s gonna need to take something really good to boot these out of the bag.

#11 at Mossy Oak was probably my best iron shot of the weekend for me too. I hit a low draw to the middle right part of the green. That was one intimidating tee box in competition. I then lagged a high breaker down hill to 3 feet for conceded hole and to go up 4 in my match. The adrenaline rush after that hole was the start of my undoing. I'm not sure if I could have recovered as my great opponent, @YukonLiving , found his golf game and started a charge.

#11 at Mossy Oak was probably my best iron shot of the weekend for me too. I hit a low draw to the middle right part of the green. That was one intimidating tee box in competition. I then lagged a high breaker down hill to 3 feet for conceded hole and to go up 4 in my match. The adrenaline rush after that hole was the start of my undoing. I'm not sure if I could have recovered as my great opponent, @YukonLiving , found his golf game and started a charge.

On yardage books and such, those bunkers looked like a nice safer place to bail out into at worst case scenario. Then real life showed up.. No way did I want to be in there with those green speeds and slopes. The water would have very much been in play even on a good bunker shot.

Glad to read your post-event iron thoughts guys. FTX are still a top two iron ponder for me. No surprise they performed for you.

The Forged Tec X flat out performed for me under pressure this weekend. On good swings they were absolutes dialed in. On swings that weren’t quite right, the forgiveness bailed me out. Great clubs that are going to be in the bag for a long time
Yeah I got to see the iron game all day on Saturday and it was definitely your strength. You hit some great shots!

@Raiderboost is spot on. Your iron play this weekend was lights out good. FTx are some very impressive golf clubs!

That was a really good hole for you - and you striped your tee shot with the FTx irons!

Good thing I had bail out left in mind or I might not have even carried the water!

On yardage books and such, those bunkers looked like a nice safer place to bail out into at worst case scenario. Then real life showed up.. No way did I want to be in there with those green speeds and slopes. The water would have very much been in play even on a good bunker shot.
Yeah I hit a pretty good bunker shot there and barely got it to stop on the fringe. It was a hard hole where it was at and would be a beast from further back.

It’s making me want to get a set to compare to the FT’s 🤣
And for fun, I want to compare the other way around!!

I really think you’d like the FTx. I was looking at them in person during the weekend and the top line difference is so small… I bet you’d hit the FTx a mile!

Yeah I hit a pretty good bunker shot there and barely got it to stop on the fringe. It was a hard hole where it was at and would be a beast from further back.
Oof, I would take anywhere on that green if it were back right. A three putt might still win that hole

I'm going to concur with everything said so far. Hitting the FTx is just stupid easy. And the sound and feeling when you hit them flush is, dare I say, orgasmic ;). It took me a while to learn not to try to overpower these irons, but using the right tempo gets results. I can honestly say these irons will be in my bag at least until Cobra introduces their next iteration of them! The highlight and biggest honor on Sunday was when I hit my approach into the 8th green and @Parrot smiled over at me and said, "you absolutely crushed that iron".

I'm going to concur with everything said so far. Hitting the FTx is just stupid easy. And the sound and feeling when you hit them flush is, dare I say, orgasmic ;). It took me a while to learn not to try to overpower these irons, but using the right tempo gets results. I can honestly say these irons will be in my bag at least until Cobra introduces their next iteration of them! The highlight and biggest honor on Sunday was when I hit my approach into the 8th green and @Parrot smiled over at me and said, "you absolutely crushed that iron".
That was a really good golf shot!

Absolute beauty of a shot

Yep. It was definitely in play 💦

These irons are just phenomenal. so easy to launch, great speed retention. Definitely staying in the bag for a LONG time.

These irons are just phenomenal. so easy to launch, great speed retention. Definitely staying in the bag for a LONG time.
Absolutely. Look good, super forgiving and LAUNCH the ball!

And for fun, I want to compare the other way around!!

I really think you’d like the FTx. I was looking at them in person during the weekend and the top line difference is so small… I bet you’d hit the FTx a mile!
I think it would get me back to what my old S3's were. Those things were hot.

Giving this thread a bump.

Jman’s question about shiny new or run it back was an easy answer for me. But there is some context that brought me back to this thread.

a few months before I was selected for the MC, I bought a set of tricked out ZX5 irons. I really enjoyed playing them. Custom fit. Upgraded shafts etc.

then I got the FTx. Things didn’t go well at first. There was a shaft weight change to get used to. But more impactful was that I had some nagging injuries that hampered my ability to swing them properly.

post MC I decided to try the ZX5 again. After 9 holes it was cemented that I’ll be gaming the Cobra’s this season and the Srixons maybe sold or parted out.

the feel and playability im experiencing with them is so good. More importantly my level of play keeps improving. And I expect my index to lower more in 2023.

Definitely going to give the OLs a hard ponder in my fitting. The more I think about it, the more I think it could be really good for my game

Giving this thread a bump.

Jman’s question about shiny new or run it back was an easy answer for me. But there is some context that brought me back to this thread.

a few months before I was selected for the MC, I bought a set of tricked out ZX5 irons. I really enjoyed playing them. Custom fit. Upgraded shafts etc.

then I got the FTx. Things didn’t go well at first. There was a shaft weight change to get used to. But more impactful was that I had some nagging injuries that hampered my ability to swing them properly.

post MC I decided to try the ZX5 again. After 9 holes it was cemented that I’ll be gaming the Cobra’s this season and the Srixons maybe sold or parted out.

the feel and playability im experiencing with them is so good. More importantly my level of play keeps improving. And I expect my index to lower more in 2023.

The FTx’s are deep, there is something fun about playing with rocket launcher irons and removing the need to rely on some of those mid irons for approaches if you have the distance to make up for it.

The FTx’s are deep, there is something fun about playing with rocket launcher irons and removing the need to rely on some of those mid irons for approaches if you have the distance to make up for it.
They haven’t been as long as the ZX5 were. But distance gap is closing as I get more and more comfortable with them. In the new year, I plan to take some lessons trying to increase my plane steepness to fully weaponize the FTX irons.

These seem like great clubs for a wide range of players.

They haven’t been as long as the ZX5 were. But distance gap is closing as I get more and more comfortable with them. In the new year, I plan to take some lessons trying to increase my plane steepness to fully weaponize the FTX irons.
They’ll get there once you trust you have the horsepower. Just go full throttle on them and see what happens.

I admit I'm torn. I gamed Cobra F7 OLs for a year before I picked up my 919 HM VLs. The Mizunos have been very good to me for just shy of 4 years. However, I'm kind of itching to try gaming forged irons and to return to OLs. So it's a question of do I bite the bullet and order FT OLs, or stick with what is working reasonably well?

Back