2022 Mizuno ST Series Drivers and Metal Woods

Took about 5 swing with the new Z yesterday and was not able to square the face at all, just massive blocks right. Not sure if it was the club, maybe it was me, who knows. I was just coming off some nice swings with a different driver so it was odd. On one hand I want to try again but on the other I kind of don't. The head looks great but there is nothing drawing me to it vs other options, and I say that as a Mizuno fan.

Very few performance based content on the interwebs for these pups.. Would really like to consume more content on them.

Here is some mini content. I didn't post this earlier because its not much, but here is some data from last week when I took those pictures above.

I warmed up with my ST-X, and really only had time for ~6 or 7 shots with each. My ST-X I hit really solid, and you'll see that ball speed is low because my swing speed was low, but contact was really solid and launch was about optimized. Then I took a quick break to swap my Kinetixx into the new ST-X, followed and new ST-Z. By the time I got to those I was warmed up, but hitting it differently and you can see my launch and spin window change. I would actually put most of this me, not the clubs. I'm just covering the same distance in a different way, swinging faster but not making as efficient contact.

The new ones feel similar to the prior models, which is great. Also, the ST-Z 220 and ST-X 220 look and sound very similar, so it really comes down to a performance preference more than anything in my mind between the two. There are no trade-offs... that maybe you like the performance of one head but the shape/sound of the other. Looking at the data between the two, trends match advertised performance - St-Z is a little lower launching, touch lower spin, maybe a touch of left bias on the ST-X but nothing spooky.

My Gamer ST-X set @ 9.375
ST-X 220 @ 9.375
ST-Z @ 9.5
Kinetixx Velocity D30+ in all.

IMG_1068.jpg

Mizuno ST 220 Driver Test.png

Here is some mini content. I didn't post this earlier because its not much, but here is some data from last week when I took those pictures above.

I warmed up with my ST-X, and really only had time for ~6 or 7 shots with each. My ST-X I hit really solid, and you'll see that ball speed is low because my swing speed was low, but contact was really solid and launch was about optimized. Then I took a quick break to swap my Kinetixx into the new ST-X, followed and new ST-Z. By the time I got to those I was warmed up, but hitting it differently and you can see my launch and spin window change. I would actually put most of this me, not the clubs. I'm just covering the same distance in a different way, swinging faster but not making as efficient contact.

The new ones feel similar to the prior models, which is great. Also, the ST-Z 220 and ST-X 220 look and sound very similar, so it really comes down to a performance preference more than anything in my mind between the two. There are no trade-offs... that maybe you like the performance of one head but the shape/sound of the other. Looking at the data between the two, trends match advertised performance - St-Z is a little lower launching, touch lower spin, maybe a touch of left bias on the ST-X but nothing spooky.

My Gamer ST-X set @ 9.375
ST-X 220 @ 9.375
ST-Z @ 9.5
Kinetixx Velocity D30+ in all.

View attachment 9063707

View attachment 9063708
That ball speed gain is no joke. Drop the spin a bit (shaft or delivery adjustments?) and it looks like a solid upgrade. What's your swing speed?

That ball speed gain is no joke. Drop the spin a bit (shaft or delivery adjustments?) and it looks like a solid upgrade. What's your swing speed?

A lot of that difference is my swing speed. The shots with my ST-X were literally the first few swings of the day. There are posts earlier in this thread of that same setup @ 159+ average. By the time I hit the new ones I was a little looser, but still not really warmed up. This was the last 30 minutes before the shop closed, 7:30-8pm on a Friday.

Swing speed is probably low 100's on the warmups, and mid-high 100's on the latter.

I like it!

0A60DB40-A15A-49AD-B935-468F484681EB.jpeg

The more I read about these, the more interested I am. I definitely need to get out and hit some 2022 drivers.

Z has officially entered the 2022 #BagBattles

there he is!

there he is!
Went 9.5, Z, w/ Smoke Blue 6.5….but the custom PX shaft will be the one in the head immediately.

Went 9.5, Z, w/ Smoke Blue 6.5….but the custom PX shaft will be the one in the head immediately.
Great combo right there! I really enjoy the Smoke Blue.

So curious what an MOI value on the Z would look like.

Great combo right there! I really enjoy the Smoke Blue.
Honestly, it’s not a great shaft for me, and truthfullyprobably won’t get a single swing. But, I do have this one of a kind PX shaft from some crazy THP Experience that will work nicely 🤣😉

I'm a dope, I wish they offered it in 9. But looking at their options I would probably be going Diamanna D+ just because it's something I've been fit into before.

I'm a dope, I wish they offered it in 9. But looking at their options I would probably be going Diamanna D+ just because it's something I've been fit into before.

Could always go G. lowest spinning, lowest launching driver I have ever hit.

I could and I did hit Jame's back in the fall. this is just me being a mental midget

This driver may force me for the first time to purchase two drivers. I love the look of it. Atmos Black TS is a strong consideration here.

The new G is just amazing. Didn't think I'd ever consider it, but have one on the way now. Felt fantastic and the numbers were perfect.

I could and I did hit Jame's back in the fall. this is just me being a mental midget
You want the G? It’s yours.

The new G is just amazing. Didn't think I'd ever consider it, but have one on the way now. Felt fantastic and the numbers were perfect.
For the right person it can be a beast. I took it out and played with it yesterday. I hit a couple really good drives. But a couple that would have scared a dwarf.

For the right person it can be a beast. I took it out and played with it yesterday. I hit a couple really good drives. But a couple that would have scared a dwarf.
Hear that @MWard they’d have scared you!

Ugh. It's annoying to me that they don't make the ST-X fairways with adjustable hosels, but do with the ST-Z.

Back