2022 Mizuno ST Series Drivers and Metal Woods

Will these and the Rogues be testable on Saturday? I have a lesson at PGATSS - two birds one stone. Likely to be my last time out until surgery so that I am not in contact with any of the Covid spreaders (I hope).

Seems like they should be. Not speaking for your store specifically, but my shop is pretty good about not putting things out before they should, and they had both this week.

Awesome! I went for a fitting on Monday and they did not have, so I guess I was just off a few days.

I think we are about a week away. I really want to try this driver.. It is very high on my interested in list.

Great write up Dean! Love love the look of the X but I think I based on my swing I’m probably more suited to Z!

Went to a demo day at a local CC 3 years ago this spring fully expecting to end up with a Callaway or Cobra driver, but hit the new (at the time) ST 190 and ended up ordering one, and still love it. Was never a fan of their blue drivers, and really never considered Mizuno for anything other than irons which I played for 14 years until getting fitted for the Apex 19's. The ST 190 looks great from the top, and feels just as good, so this latest iteration from Mizuno looks damn good as well and will probably try it out at a local golf shop this spring.

Impromptu recon mission after dinner tonight.

ST-X 220 (Left) ST-Z 220 (Right)

IMG_1063.jpg

ST-Z 220
IMG_1064.jpg

ST-X 220
IMG_1065.jpg

ST-X 220 (Left) ST-Z 220 Right
IMG_1067.jpg

ST-X 220 (Left) & Original ST-X (Right)
IMG_1061.jpg

Original ST-X (Left) & ST-X 220 (Right)
IMG_1060.jpg

Oh hells yeah

I haven't had the opportunity to hit one but this is music to my ears. Slight draw with help closing the face describes what I need for my game almost exactly.
This feature has me intrigued. A touch of help but no overtly so. Hope to hit them tomorrow.

The face size on the ST-X and ST-Z seemed pretty similar to me tonight. Depth, width, etc. I thought they both sounded pretty similar (and good), as well as being similar to my gamer ST-X.

Mizuno kept a lot of the best things from the the prior model and with the additional MOI available from weights and using more carbon in the sole, I think these are going to work really well for people.

Need to take a club in for a little work in the morning, hoping the shop has these out to test.

Those look awesome.

Impromptu recon mission after dinner tonight.

ST-X 220 (Left) ST-Z 220 (Right)

View attachment 9061791

ST-Z 220
View attachment 9061792

ST-X 220
View attachment 9061793

ST-X 220 (Left) ST-Z 220 Right
View attachment 9061794

ST-X 220 (Left) & Original ST-X (Right)
View attachment 9061790

Original ST-X (Left) & ST-X 220 (Right)
View attachment 9061789
I kind of feel like it's inevitable that when I finally get down there to hit these that you're going to be there hitting them already 😂

I kind of feel like it's inevitable that when I finally get down there to hit these that you're going to be there hitting them already 😂

Ha ha... you may not be wrong. :oops:

But, I'll share :D.

This is the only club that stands between me and a pre-order of the new Cobra. I have to give this a swing.

Fingers crossed they aren't busy because I've dusted off the ST-Z and am heading down to the LGS at lunch. Hoping to get some swings in with this, and then plug the ST-Z 220 into the RDX Smoke Blue for some comparison 😬

Fingers crossed they aren't busy because I've dusted off the ST-Z and am heading down to the LGS at lunch. Hoping to get some swings in with this, and then plug the ST-Z 220 into the RDX Smoke Blue for some comparison 😬
Update us with some numbers.

Well I have an update coming, just have to write it up. First I need @GraniteRoost to refresh me on how to export that data so I really have something to show. Two quick things that stood out. First, my swing is rruuussttyyyy :LOL:. Second, I do like the sound of the 220 a little better. It's a tad less sharp (to my ear) than the standard ST-Z. I'll work on a full recap here shortly.

Well I have an update coming, just have to write it up. First I need @GraniteRoost to refresh me on how to export that data so I really have something to show. Two quick things that stood out. First, my swing is rruuussttyyyy :LOL:. Second, I do like the sound of the 220 a little better. It's a tad less sharp (to my ear) than the standard ST-Z. I'll work on a full recap here shortly.

PM sent in case you are still at the store.

So I ventured down to the LGS today and go to take some swings with the ST-Z and the ST-Z 220 plugged into my RDX Smoke Blue. I wish this was going to be super insightful but unfortunately it probably isn't. Started off with a 9-iron to get loose since it's first time swinging a club since mid-November.
Took ~20 swing the my ST-Z and the results were a mixed bag not shockingly. Ball speed was down and as a result I started overswing trying to get back to 170 (was living upper 150s low 160s).
Moved from there into the ST-Z 220 in a 10.5* head. I can say the shape and sound of the ST-Z 220 are really appealing to me. The sound is a little denser, which I like, in the 220. I'm not going to draw any judgement on the 220 head because frankly I didn't hit it well at all. Between winter rust, quickly fatiguing due to being out of golf shape, and swinging way to hard chasing ball speed I don't think I made one good swing with it. I'm not sure if it was the 10.5* head, which I played around with several different settings, or just my swing being trash, but I was seeing decent ball speed (low to mid 160s) but my spin was in the upper 3k - lower 4k range and I was two way missing like crazy. Again, probably would have happened with any club in the store.
I then moved back into my ST-Z, and found a rhythm. I was overswinging so bad, and combined with being fatigued, was just making terrible swing after terrible swing. I finally chilled out a little and suddenly things came back to life. My final 6 or so swings with the ST-Z were really good. Launching in the low-mid teens, 2400-2800 backspin, and seeing 280-295 carry with some rollout. Longest got out to 315 total.
Unfortunately I ran out of time and had to head back to the home office, because I really wish I could have put a couple of my good swings on the 220 head. I'll definitely be trying to get back and get some more swings, and will see if they have the Z-220 in a 9.5* head.

Summary for skimmers (who wants to read about trash swings anyway :LOL:) Z-220 is better looking and sounds better to me. I did not perform well enough with it to make any kind of statement on how it performs. I do think the ball speed generated was a bit higher in the Z-220, but again with how erratic my swing was it's hard to make any firm statements.

Hopefully my next venture there will produce something more meaningful than the Z-220 looks and sounds great :ROFLMAO:

Edit - @GraniteRoost is going to send me a step by step for dummies guide so I can export my data next time and provide a look at some real numbers :D

I saw these in the studio, and they are a great blend of continuing what looked solid from the last version, while showcasing some design features that are unfamiliar to me. I'm really eager to hear them to see if they have maintained great sound.

I have to admit I'm scratching my head wondering how I missed your review till now Dean. I was a mizuno iron guy many years...and I'm excited about these drivers. It looks like they have input Carbon on top and bottom and shifted weight to where it is best used. High MOI most likely. Excited about Big Blue this year. Great write up.

Very few performance based content on the interwebs for these pups.. Would really like to consume more content on them.

Back