2023 - 2024 Soccer Thread

Melissa Villasenor Ifc GIF by Film Independent Spirit Awards
Quiet Chelsea, nothing to see here 🤣

The great reckoning for Saka is coming, in the form of Southgate & the Euros
Southgate will probably start Kalvin Philips on the right wing, because why wouldn't he?

A few years ago, Arsenal was fighting for 7th. Arsenal trusted in their manager, had a long term plan, jettisoned expensive players, focused on players that fit the manager's system, all while having a level headed owner who was onboard with the lean years because of the long term outlook.

I wonder what Chelsea is going to do?

A few years ago, Arsenal was fighting for 7th. Arsenal trusted in their manager, had a long term plan, jettisoned expensive players, focused on players that fit the manager's system, all while having a level headed owner who was onboard with the lean years because of the long term outlook.

I seriously doubt that the owners or the fan base have the required durability to stick with the plan. We've already seen it.

And we're not buying to fit the needs or the system, but buying potential monetary value.

And we're not buying to fit the needs or the system, but buying potential monetary value.
And even that, hard to think there's value in the Mudryk signing or even the Enzo purchase. Hell, Caicedo looks to be a stretch for the fee. They paid "established" player fees for potential.

And even that, hard to think there's value in the Mudryk signing or even the Enzo purchase. Hell, Caicedo looks to be a stretch for the fee. They paid "established" player fees for potential.
Also appears they did no scouting of their own. It was whoever someone else scouted and wanted they went for.

Also appears they did no scouting of their own. It was whoever someone else scouted and wanted they went for.
Todd Boehly is preaident of the Dodgers and seemed to think the MLB approach to team building apies to the EPL. Buy as many expensive players as possible.

Without realizing the EPL has financial rules and fútbol is a much different sport than baseball. It doesn't matter if the leftfielder "fits the system" in baseball. It matters if the left back fits the system in football though.

With the fees amortized over so many years (deals done prior to the 5 year rule), the cost is a bit different. But not much, that's true. I feel like they were banking on getting the players with lower salaries now and hoping or calculating the market will continue to get even stupider with prices of players. But the potential in some is undeniable and in others not visible for now. I'm afraid this will have been a really costly attempt and will set us back for 10 years.

Chelsea scouting system is vast and they for sure scouted those players a long time ago. But now they went for a silly system of getting the players they want instead of who they need and often those players were already in their first PL team or being shopped by other PL teams.

Todd Boehly is preaident of the Dodgers and seemed to think the MLB approach to team building apies to the EPL. Buy as many expensive players as possible.

Without realizing the EPL has financial rules and fútbol is a much different sport than baseball. It doesn't matter if the leftfielder "fits the system" in baseball. It matters if the left back fits the system in football though.
You're spot on here. Moneyball doesn't work the same in football.

I feel like they were banking on getting the players with lower salaries now and hoping or calculating the market will continue to get even stupider with prices of players.
Are you sure about the 'lower salary' part? Enzo £100m, Mudryk £80+, not exactly Lidl players are they?

With the fees amortized over so many years (deals done prior to the 5 year rule), the cost is a bit different. But not much, that's true. I feel like they were banking on getting the players with lower salaries now and hoping or calculating the market will continue to get even stupider with prices of players. But the potential in some is undeniable and in others not visible for now. I'm afraid this will have been a really costly attempt and will set us back for 10 years.
The problem is the long contracts. Mudryk is going to be at Chelsea until 2031. Enzo until 2032. Nobody is paying near what Chelsea did for either player. Caicedo has a similar deal. Sure their deals don't kill the books now, but 7 more years of this squad.....yeesh
Moneyball is the exact opposite. Finding value and maximizing cheap talent. Brighton are closer to Moneyball.

The long contracts will pay when someone comes in to buy then out, not one of those long term players will see out the term unless they get injured or become Jack Rodwell & make it a contract dispute vs playing the game

Chelsea scouting system is vast and they for sure scouted those players a long time ago. But now they went for a silly system of getting the players they want instead of who they need and often those players were already in their first PL team or being shopped by other PL teams.

Mudryk was never on their radar, then all of a sudden 100m to get him. Wild

The long contracts will pay when someone comes in to buy then out, not one of those long term players will see out the term unless they get injured or become Jack Rodwell & make it a contract dispute vs playing the game
At this rate, nobody is paying near what Chelsea did for those players. It's a race to cut their losses.

Mudryk was never on their radar, then all of a sudden 100m to get him. Wild
But thank goodness he did get on their radar. Without that, Trossard wouldn't get a gunner for a third of the cost.

The real problem with Chelsea is Boehly clearly just wanted to buy Brighton. Every single wrong thing he brings in is from Brighton be it player or front office. And then the good players from elsewhere he brings in he overpays.

The real problem with Chelsea is Boehly clearly just wanted to buy Brighton. Every single wrong thing he brings in is from Brighton be it player or front office. And then the good players from elsewhere he brings in he overpays.
So the real problem is you have money & are spending it? Must be tough, hope you can sleep at night 😉🤣

I don't know. Brighton has done well for other teams, specifically Arsenal. Ben White and Leandro Trossard have been good business.

But the Cucurella, Caicedo, Sanchez, and Graham Potter business hasn't been great for for Chelsea

Tee hee, Millwall references, now I've heard everything 🤣

But thank goodness he did get on their radar. Without that, Trossard wouldn't get a gunner for a third of the cost.
Yeah trossard has been awesome

I don't know. Brighton has done well for other teams, specifically Arsenal. Ben White and Leandro Trossard have been good business.

But the Cucurella, Caicedo, Sanchez, and Graham Potter business hasn't been great for for Chelsea
And their talent scouts and directors of player personnel. And that's continued even after Potter got sacked.

Tee hee, Millwall references, now I've heard everything 🤣

That guy is a bellend

Back