2024 Better You Fitness Thread

Introduced to front squats last night. What kind of stupidity is that? I'm sure I did something wrong but I have some nice bruises on the fronts of my shoulders for the effort...

Hit a 20 week streak on my Tonal this week!

Good luck! I gave up deadlifts years ago, no matter how hard I tried my form is just awful and it wrecked my back. I always liked doing them, but just couldnt get it down. I just have to live life vicariously through @blugold and the content he shares!
Have you tried using a hex bar? It really helps with form, especially with your back. I started today with a regular barbell and then switched to the hex bar and I was able to lift much heavier with that because it kept me in perfect form.

With that said, I wasn't planning on trying for a PR, but once I was into the build up rounds I felt pretty good so I gave it a shot and hit a new deadlift PR of 240lbs.

One thing I have learned, and loved, since joining this gym is that I am so much stronger than I realized, and having like minded people there to push you makes all the difference in the world.

Have you tried using a hex bar? It really helps with form, especially with your back. I started today with a regular barbell and then switched to the hex bar and I was able to lift much heavier with that because it kept me in perfect form.

With that said, I wasn't planning on trying for a PR, but once I was into the build up rounds I felt pretty good so I gave it a shot and hit a new deadlift PR of 240lbs.

One thing I have learned, and loved, since joining this gym is that I am so much stronger than I realized, and having like minded people there to push you makes all the difference in the world.
I have not tried the hex bar, just fearful of doing something worse to my back than I have already done. Same reason I dont do squats any longer.

I may have to try the hex bar with a very light weight on it just to see how the form feels.

I have not tried the hex bar, just fearful of doing something worse to my back than I have already done. Same reason I dont do squats any longer.

I may have to try the hex bar with a very light weight on it just to see how the form feels.
It sort of forces your back into proper position, one of the women in class showed me that today, and it made a huge difference for me. She has back problems too and will only use the hex bar.

The hex bar is a great way to perform a pull from the floor that does not require as much instruction. It's a less exact lift, but also less stable. But, I don't think hex bars are any safer, just easier to instruct.

The hex bar is a great way to perform a pull from the floor that does not require as much instruction. It's a less exact lift, but also less stable. But, I don't think hex bars are any safer, just easier to instruct.
Not sure your thoughts, but Rack Pulls could potentially be another option. Not as much of a 'full body' lift but still accomplishes some of what a DL does.

Don't just grab one and go. Do research on proper form and technique.

While the hex (or trap) bar is easier than BB DLs, it's not free, and doing TBDLs come with their own challenges because you don't have the bar travelling up and down the fronts of your legs for bar stability.

There are a number of exercises you can do to more bullet-proof your back for DLs and squats: Bent-over rows--particularly Pendlay rows (though those can be as challenging as BB DLs), weighted back hyperextensions, weighted hip thrusts, Romanian deadlifts, and others.

Last edited:
Not sure your thoughts, but Rack Pulls could potentially be another option. Not as much of a 'full body' lift but still accomplishes some of what a DL does.
Yessir!

My main issue with rack pulls is the shortened range of motion, it's not a LONG of a full body lift as a deadlift. I have only ever had two lifters who I could not get to deadlift efficiently on day 1. One of them was a vegan who was so weak and under muscled that he couldn't control his back off the floor, and a man with cerebral palsy. I used the rack pulls with them. The weak vegan eventually got strong enough to deadlift from the floor.

I can see this, I don't feel the stretch in my glutes quite as much, but I definitely didn't feel any issues with my back. I think for every day I would use a regular barbell, but for a PR, the hex was a much better option for my back.

So about a month ago I was put on high blood pressure medication and what I've noticed is that I can't run more than 4.5 miles and my pace is drastically slower. Kind of odd to me, but I will continue to push on through. Got 2.5 miles in before the rain today.

PR week is officially done. Today is going to be more cardio, light weight focused and then back to normal starting Monday. One of the coaches said to me after class yesterday, she's holding a class on Saturday for hip thruster PR's, I told her have fun, I won't be there haha. I am very much looking forward to my rest days this weekend.

I can see this, I don't feel the stretch in my glutes quite as much, but I definitely didn't feel any issues with my back. I think for every day I would use a regular barbell, but for a PR, the hex was a much better option for my back.
Without a doubt. The hex bar, I know them as trap bars, can be pulled with a little more open hip angle, which takes some stress off the back.

Because of that back stress, deadlifts like being trained with low frequency and volume. That's a harder sell for group classes that like a lot of movement.

Without a doubt. The hex bar, I know them as trap bars, can be pulled with a little more open hip angle, which takes some stress off the back.

Because of that back stress, deadlifts like being trained with low frequency and volume. That's a harder sell for group classes that like a lot of movement.
The gym I go to isn't your typical group class like an orange theory or boot camp, it's all about weight lifting, and usually 3 minute rests between sets. A normal deadlift day would be with the bar or dumbbells depending on the workout, this was just for PR week only. It's done every 13 weeks to see if we have gotten stronger, and to help make sure we are using the correct weights during the rest of the time so we aren't cheating ourselves by going too light.

We had a girl in my class who is maybe 4'9" pull 210 with the regular barbell for her PR. That was fun to watch.

Last edited:
The gym I go to isn't your typical group class like an orange theory or boot camp, it's all about weight lifting, and usually 3 minute rests between sets. A normal deadlift day would be with the bar or dumbbells depending on the workout, this was just for PR week only. It's done every 13 weeks to see if we have gotten stronger, and to help make sure we are using the correct weights during the rest of the time so we aren't cheating ourselves by going too light.

We had a girl in my class who is maybe 4'9" pull 210 with the regular barbell for her PR. That was fun to watch.
Awesome!

I haven't been to the gym in 2 weeks due to things in life and it will be a full 3 before I get back. Starting to miss it a bit..thats a good thing right?

I haven't been to the gym in 2 weeks due to things in life and it will be a full 3 before I get back. Starting to miss it a bit..thats a good thing right?
Yes sir! Get that itch to get back to the gym and crush it when you do!

It’s back day at the Masters. Masters radio and lat pull downs 😍

It’s back day at the Masters. Masters radio and lat pull downs 😍
Back day has gone from my least favorite day to my 2nd favorite. Discovering new movements has made it less mundane. Rows for h... nevermind.

After a lesson yesterday, and being so completely sore, I need to start doing something to improve my fitness.
Less active at work, walking less (used to be 20k-25k steps a day), now nowhere close.
Stiff, sore, feeling old.

Gotta start doing something. Can't get to a gym because I am home with the kids, so need to start working on things at home once I put them to bed!

Two workouts this week. 20 minutes on a cross training cardio machine, followed by a full circuit of machine resistance, upper and lower. Going back tomorrow to finish the week. Beginning Me: Chapter Three

Back