A Man Hitting from the Red Tee. Post your thoughts.

I would gladly play the red tees, and if I see a male playing them, I think way to go!!!

I have seen couples play from the red, just so they can play together and I thought that was cool. Played with a couple a while back they only counted putts in their own little competition, and they had a blast that day ... and he tee off with her on the red tees.

I would 100x rather see a male on the red, than some mucho guy that thinks he is all that and more, teeing from the back tees!

Unless you're playing a competition type event where a designated tee box is to be used, play wherever you want to. Our senior group plays a blitz each week and the rule is, if you're 75 and up, you play the senior tees and all under 75 play the white tees. Not a problem as we all have a good time and the money usually travels around each week with a different winner. Fun is the focus :thumb:

As a beginner I was encouraged to hit from the reds. And I did. I have this year moved to the golds. I played from the whites last round and really struggled. I'm 56 with degenerative arthritis in most joints. It really hurts my knees to have to hit from the whites. I gotta really go after the tee club to get any chance at scoring anything decent. It rips up my knees and hands.

Playing golds or reds allows me to hit off the tee with minimal pain. So I say to hell with what the tees are called. Just play what tees work for you. I Believe that health concerns should be taken into account.

mark Shuman

Play your game from the tees suited for your game. If anyone feels the need to belittle you for it, they are a douchebag.

I say play what you like. I tend to play the same courses over and over so changing the tee I hit from changes the course. Some holes are easier some are harder. When I get to a point where I'm starting to wear the grooves off of three clubs and the others are dusty, it's time start playing different tees. I'm not consistent enough this yet this year, but as I get better I'll start moving tee boxes. Up back sideways. Whatever sounds like fun that day.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

Play whatever tees you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless you're playing a competition type event where a designated tee box is to be used, play wherever you want to. Our senior group plays a blitz each week and the rule is, if you're 75 and up, you play the senior tees and all under 75 play the white tees. Not a problem as we all have a good time and the money usually travels around each week with a different winner. Fun is the focus :thumb:

Tough group there. I'm not sure I'll be able to feed myself when I'm 75.

A Man Hitting from the Red Tee. Post your thoughts.

Tough group there. I'm not sure I'll be able to feed myself when I'm 75.

Haha yep. A few of them old guys (75+) hit it further than I do and three of them often shoot their age . The good thing is we play a blitz which is a points game based on average scoring. It's fair for everybody however us young bucks (under 75), tee up from the white tees. I'll be 65 in November and I'm the youngest in our group with 10 more years on the whites

Haha yep. A few of them old guys (75+) hit it further than I do and three of them often shoot their age . The good thing is we play a blitz which is a points game based on average scoring. It's fair for everybody however us young bucks (under 75), tee up from the white tees. I'll be 65 in November and I'm the youngest in our group with 10 more years on the whites

I saw you hit off #1. You don't lack distance at all.

I've got no problem playing forward tees or Tips, either way I'm there to play golf and have a good time. When I go out alone lately I've been playing two tee shots as a form of practice: driver from the tips and 5i or hybrid from the forward tees. Both offer good practice, especially for mental game.

I've been on the giving and receiving end of more than a few "purse" cracks over the years but it's always been among friends and with the most benign intentions. It's kinda sad that people would give you crap about playing from the forward tees since golf is first and foremost a fun recreation for all of us. I've always encouraged people to tee it forward and I've often played there with them especially if they're good company since it gives us more time to socialize (again, recreation).

On a side note, a buddy of mine was playing the forwards while playing with his daughter. On a short par 4 he pulled driver and got his first ace! The club gladly recognized it and he took home some money and prizes (members have a little pool for aces and the pro shop always offers some prizes and credit).

We have three sets of tee's at my club, white(5900y), blue(6200), yellow(5377). The white and blue are the mens and the yellow are the womens, but the blues are only used on club days which is every sat or if there is a competition on. I enjoy playing on both tee's but at my club i would say 70% of the members are 50+ in age, so i have suggested that they change the name of the ladies tee's and just class them as the forward tee's and do the rating for men.
I thought the older guys that only hit it 100-150m with driver would enjoy it more if they were able to move up and possibly score better, but i sort of got the "haha thats a stupid idea". I thought it is happening around the world and not a dumb idea, but clearly the rest of our club/committee didnt.

I think a lot of people are stuck in the old days of how courses were set up, things are changing and clubs need to as well. Anyway you play what ever tee's you are comfortable with.

For me, golf is about having fun. If you have the most fun playing from red, why would I have a negative opinion about that?

I'm a short hitter too. Golf is a lot more fun from the reds.

The trick is to get your wife/girlfriend/other female friend to play with you so you have an excuse.

Tell em to listen to Arnie!!!!

Like everyone else is saying, play the tee box that you feel comfortable playing. I can't stand how the majority of amateur golfer's play the back tee's when they have no business playing them. The league I am in right now has an A and B flight and once you become an A flight player the league makes you play from the "Blue tees" instead of the "White". I think there is way too much focus on what tee box is played when it comes to weekend golfers.

Play the tee that makes the game the most fun for you. To hell with everyone else.
Wiser words have never been spoken!

For me to "often shoot my" age means I'm going to live into my 90s. Cool!

Hello. I'm the guy who mentioned that red tees-skirt thing.

I don't really hit it long. In a very, very good drive, I will hit it 270 total, with a lot of roll, on good weather, when it's not humid. But I'm happy with my driving distance because I can keep it up with the rest of the guys, considering I'm only 140 pounds.

I think it's a matter of choice - would you rather score well on short tees, or score not so good on long tees? Personally, I prefer the latter, so that when I'm on another course I'm not familiar with, and they give me these ultra-long par 4's, I have the proper mindset to accept the hole as it is and if I have to hit 4 into the green, so be it, because I'm kinda sure the rest of the guys will be doing that just as well.

The psychology is, if you're used to really long par 4 holes, where you're hitting 3 into the green, finding a short par-4 hole where you actually make it in regulation is a big psychological bonus to you.

But if you're on the other side of the spectrum, where we're spoiled with 120 to the green on our second shot, our mindset is a bit more uncomfortable with long holes.

The other upside to being used to long par 4's, is that if you're hitting 3 into a par-4 green, you better have your short game real good to make par. If you've been always hitting 3 into par 4's, chances are you've worked out your short game so that the worst you can make is bogey.

Again, it's a mind thing. If you've climbed Mt. Everest, everything else is peaches for you. But if you're used to just the hills, then Mt. Everest is a long stretch.

I once played in a tournament where we played from the senior tees. I shot 86. The first time I broke 90. But let's be honest - is that validation for me? For myself, not really. I also played with a guy who insisted on playing from the champion tees on the premise that in a tournament the blue tees will be a lot easier psychologically since he was used to the gold tees.

My suggestion? Challenge yourself. As much as you can. Because if you don't try, you'll never know how good you are.

Part of the fun in golf is discovering that you're actually capable of doing things that you didn't realize you were capable of.

This distance thing has complicated the game of golf. Not many people can hit it long, including myself. But if you're used to long par 4's then dinky par 4's will be a great opportunity for you. If we're used to playing short holes, when we get to other courses with longer par 4's, we are at a psychological disadvantage even before we've hit our first shot.

Also, like it or not, our golf game kinda equates to the other pressing manly issue - how long is our wiener? We will all, um, extend, but the reality is it's not the length, it's how we use it. For me, who cares if my opponent hit his drive 70 yards past mine? If I made par to his bogey, I still get the girl, right?

Finally, let's look at the tour pros. It is not all the time that the long hitters win the tournaments. Distance is great, and makes life much easier, but if we're not capable of that, there are other ways to win.

Bottom line, just for kicks now and then, fine, go hit from the red tees. But challenge yourself. Why golf is so attractive to us is that we can take chances with the minimum of consequences. Lousy game? Add a few more beers.

I think you play whatever tees you want but it should be based on some logical reasoning. As an example (just my opinion) play the tees that on an average length par 4 that after a good drive (for the individual) you have a 7 iron or shorter into the green. If you play a par 4 that is 400 yards from the whites and you're averaging 180-220 off the tee, that is going to be a tough 2nd shot. Move up and give yourself a chance to score.

Hello. I'm the guy who mentioned that red tees-skirt thing.

I don't really hit it long. In a very, very good drive, I will hit it 270 total, with a lot of roll, on good weather, when it's not humid. But I'm happy with my driving distance because I can keep it up with the rest of the guys, considering I'm only 140 pounds.

I think it's a matter of choice - would you rather score well on short tees, or score not so good on long tees? Personally, I prefer the latter, so that when I'm on another course I'm not familiar with, and they give me these ultra-long par 4's, I have the proper mindset to accept the hole as it is and if I have to hit 4 into the green, so be it, because I'm kinda sure the rest of the guys will be doing that just as well.

The psychology is, if you're used to really long par 4 holes, where you're hitting 3 into the green, finding a short par-4 hole where you actually make it in regulation is a big psychological bonus to you.

But if you're on the other side of the spectrum, where we're spoiled with 120 to the green on our second shot, our mindset is a bit more uncomfortable with long holes.

The other upside to being used to long par 4's, is that if you're hitting 3 into a par-4 green, you better have your short game real good to make par. If you've been always hitting 3 into par 4's, chances are you've worked out your short game so that the worst you can make is bogey.

Again, it's a mind thing. If you've climbed Mt. Everest, everything else is peaches for you. But if you're used to just the hills, then Mt. Everest is a long stretch.

I once played in a tournament where we played from the senior tees. I shot 86. The first time I broke 90. But let's be honest - is that validation for me? For myself, not really. I also played with a guy who insisted on playing from the champion tees on the premise that in a tournament the blue tees will be a lot easier psychologically since he was used to the gold tees.

My suggestion? Challenge yourself. As much as you can. Because if you don't try, you'll never know how good you are.

Part of the fun in golf is discovering that you're actually capable of doing things that you didn't realize you were capable of.

This distance thing has complicated the game of golf. Not many people can hit it long, including myself. But if you're used to long par 4's then dinky par 4's will be a great opportunity for you. If we're used to playing short holes, when we get to other courses with longer par 4's, we are at a psychological disadvantage even before we've hit our first shot.

Also, like it or not, our golf game kinda equates to the other pressing manly issue - how long is our wiener? We will all, um, extend, but the reality is it's not the length, it's how we use it. For me, who cares if my opponent hit his drive 70 yards past mine? If I made par to his bogey, I still get the girl, right?

Finally, let's look at the tour pros. It is not all the time that the long hitters win the tournaments. Distance is great, and makes life much easier, but if we're not capable of that, there are other ways to win.

Bottom line, just for kicks now and then, fine, go hit from the red tees. But challenge yourself. Why golf is so attractive to us is that we can take chances with the minimum of consequences. Lousy game? Add a few more beers.

I agree with most of that. BUT there comes a point, for whatever reason (age, injury ext..) that you are just not playing the course as it was designed to be played. Then you should move up.

play the game to enjoy it! I know I am over matched on a 7000 yard plus course, why should a player start out by knowing he will struggle to play a game he loves?

play where you are comfortable!

I will be 55 next month and tell six4three5 all the time I will start using the "senior tees" when I turn 55......lol

I think you play whatever tees you want but it should be based on some logical reasoning. As an example (just my opinion) play the tees that on an average length par 4 that after a good drive (for the individual) you have a 7 iron or shorter into the green. If you play a par 4 that is 400 yards from the whites and you're averaging 180-220 off the tee, that is going to be a tough 2nd shot. Move up and give yourself a chance to score.
This is why I like playing from the front tees sometimes. That's exactly my driver range and it gets old hitting your longest iron as a layup to the green or trying to get a hybrid to stick. Sure I can make par on holes like that, but it's because I've had to get my short game significantly better than my handicap would imply because a hole over about 350 yards means I have to get up and down because of distance.

The answer for me is simple. I have about 5 friends that I play money games with. When we get together we always play from the white tees. So therefore I play from the white tees all the time so I will be used to those yardages. My average drive is only 220 and playing from the reds would make the game much eaiser, but I don't for the reason above.

Plus I was always told that the front tee box (red) was for women, the second (silver or gold) for seniors, the middle (white) for average golfers, the (blue) for single digit or better handicappers, and the tips (black) for Scratch golfers and Tournaments.

This is just what I was always told and I go by it.

Back